Ryder Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by jezzer »

Getting the excuses in early, aren't you!!!

Major winners: McIlroy, McDowell, Lawrie, Kaymer
Top 15 world players: McIlroy (1), Donald (2), Westwood (4), Rose (8), McDowell (13) Garcia (14). That's 3 out of top 5, 4 out of top 8, 6 out of top 15.
Winning record Ryder Cup players:
Donald: Won 8, lost two, halved 1 (8-2-1) - best record in history of Ryder Cup on Europe side
Poulter: 8-3-0
Garcia: 14-6-4
Lawrie: 3-1-1
McDowell: 4-2-2
Rose: 3-1-0
Kaymer: 2-1-1
Westwood 16-11-6 (2-4 losing singles record, never lost a fourball or foursome match )
McIlroy 1-1-2

Losing record: Molinari 0-2-1, Hanson 1-2-0

The US team won't even come close to those Ryder Cup records.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

jezzer wrote:Getting the excuses in early, aren't you!!!

Top 15 world players: McIlroy (1), Donald (2), Westwood (4), Rose (8), McDowell (13) Garcia (14). That's 3 out of top 5, 4 out of top 8, 6 out of top 15.
Donald: Won 8, lost two, halved 1 (8-2-1) - best record in history of Ryder Cup on Europe side
Westwood 16-11-6 (2-4 losing singles record, never lost a fourball or foursome match )
McIlroy 1-1-2

That bit there made me chuckle. I take it your new to the Ryder Cup :lol:
3 Gold Stars
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

US wild card picks: Dustin Johnson, Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker and Steve Stricker
Dont Panic!
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

While Lee has been undefeated in certain Ryder cups, he has lost foursome/fourball matches

His record is as said W16 L11 H6

Singles W2 L5 H0
4 Some/Ball W14 L6 H6

Dont Trust Everything you read on Wikipedia!

http://www.leewestwood.com/ryder-cup-record.html
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

McIlroy 1-1-2

In what way? Mickelson, Furyk, Watson, D. Johnson and Woods all have losing records. Mickelson (Played 34, won 11 halved 6) the worst Ryder Cup record in history to date. Furyk not far behind (played 27, won 8, halved 4). There are 4 rookies on the US team and the rest have limited exposure.

You obviously completely misread my post, so your internet-honed scorn looks pretty stupid now, from over here.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

jezzer wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

McIlroy 1-1-2

In what way? Mickelson, Furyk, Watson, D. Johnson and Woods all have losing records. Mickelson (Played 34, won 11 halved 6) the worst Ryder Cup record in history to date. Furyk not far behind (played 27, won 8, halved 4). There are 4 rookies on the US team and the rest have limited exposure.

You obviously completely misread my post, so your internet-honed scorn looks pretty stupid now, from over here.
No I didn't mis-read your post, the bit about getting excuses in early set the ball rolling.

Only one looking pretty stupid is your good self i'm afraid.

You think throwing in a copy n paste from Wikipedia somewhat shows your 'knowledge' on the Ryder Cup and back it up with the ludicrous assertion....."The US team won't even come close to those Ryder Cup records". I realise throwing in stats from ESPN scrum etc is de rigeur on here but in doing so here it highlights your limited knowledge on the Ryder Cup.

It may have escaped you but the Europeans will be playing catch up on Cups won for a hell of a long time to come. The Yanks have dominated this event since its inception so there are no records in the tournament that they would have any reason to be in awe of.

The greatest golfer of all time has an incredibly poor record in the cup, thats none other than Jack Nicklaus. Yet he's been on the winning team more often than not. My point is it's all about the team and it's relative strenght from 1 to 10. 11 and 12 you hope for the best, that you may find a partner who clicks and kicks on to win a couple of points.

The problem with Europe(and if you followed golf you would know this) is its relative inexperience in the side this time round and its middle order players being quite average.

It is this simple fact that I believe will be the undoing of us. Thats not an excuse.

I stand over my original assertion that the Yanks will win handy. Hope i'm wrong but senor Ollie will flounder at this one.
3 Gold Stars
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

1320 Jim Furyk and Brandt Snedeker v Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell
1335 Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley v Luke Donald and Sergio Garcia
1350 Zach Johnson and Jason Dufner v Lee Westwood and Francesco Molinari
1405 Steve Stricker and Tiger Woods v Ian Poulter and Justin Rose

First pairings for tomorrow. Some very interesting match-ups!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

And the results of the afternoon Fourballs....USA 3 Nicholas Colsaerts 1!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:And the results of the afternoon Fourballs....USA 3 Nicholas Colsaerts 1!
5-3 is a significant enough lead at this stage, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse for Europe, only for Colsaerts. Still hanging in there but the morning foursomes are vital - obvious statement of the day!
Dont Panic!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Amazing. Simply flipping amazing :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Cianostays wrote:Amazing. Simply flipping amazing :clap: :clap: :clap:
+1
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Well done Europe :clap:
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Some nights viewing.

Now that it cant be seen as bad sportsmanship, I hope to christ we never see such a tame setup for a golf course again.

There should be an incentive for hitting the fairways, and a penalty for missing it. As it was in Medinah, both European and US players were sending it 40 yards into the trees, ending up with a perfect lie and a clear shot of the green. I know it was intentionally set up that way, and why, but it was very frustrating, especially during the foursomes.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Poulter for me was astonishing and without a doubt the man of the match, being English his brand of humour can get up peoples noses but he backed it up with sensational golf and literally dragged Europe back into the competition on Saturday afternoon with the Four-Ball win. Rory only scored on four of eighteen holes and the run in by Poulter was simply exceptional golf, five birdies on the last five holes...

Delighted for Jose-Maria, the weight of his great friend Seve's memory put a pressure like no other on this Ryder Cup captain. Brave picks on the final day, and his boys rallied round him..!
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Though maybe this should go in the laugh thread

http://espn.go.com/golf/conversations/_ ... -locked-us
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Just back from Chicago. Absolutely epic stuff throughout the weekend. The standard of golf on the Sunday was like nothing I have ever seen.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

S.B., so wrong about every aspect and so very quiet since!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/golf/2 ... 91078.html

MALACHY CLERKIN in Abu Dhabi

Golf: Paul McGinley is the first ever Irish captain of a Ryder Cup team after the European Tournament Committee chose the Dubliner ahead of Colin Montgomerie this evening. A lengthy meeting in Abu Dhabi concluded with the news many expected, and others then feared we might not get, after Montgomerie’s late entrance to the race.

For months it had appeared a straight choice between McGinley and fellow Irishman Darren Clarke, but the Ulsterman muddied the waters when he decided to step aside and leave former skipper Montgomerie as the Dubliner's main rival to lead Europe at Glenaeagles, after his success of 2010 at Celtic Manor. Two other Scots - Sandy Lyle and Paul Lawrie - were also considered for the role, as was Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Reports over the weekend suggested the wind might have been blowing in Monty's favour, with ’sources’ close to the 49-year-old expressing confidence he would be selected. But McGinley, who has maintained a dignified silence throughout the process, enjoyed the support of the players likely to be playing next year, with Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald and Ian Poulter all rowing in behind his candidacy.

Just nine members of the 15-strong selection committee were actually involved in the vote and after nearly three hours word filtered through that McGinley was their man.

“Obviously, I’m delighted to have this honour to lead the European team,” said McGinley on being introduced by Denmark’s Thomas Bjorn. “It's a very humbling experience to be sitting in this seat and it's a week that I'm really looking forward to.”

American team captain Tom Watson, who McGinley described as one of his "great heroes", welcomed the Irishman's appointment almost immediately.

"Congrats to Paul McGinley on your R/C Captaincy," he said on Twitter. "Looking forward to our future competition. You're a class act."
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Will he be good, I wonder? I'd rate the answer to that at 50:50 right now. Jimenez would have been an intriguing selection - hope he gets a crack at it some day.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

jezzer wrote:Will he be good, I wonder? I'd rate the answer to that at 50:50 right now. Jimenez would have been an intriguing selection - hope he gets a crack at it some day.
At least he has some captaincy experience with his involvement in the Seve Trophy. And he has seen the Ryder Cup both as a player and from the Captain's perspective having been a player three times and vice-captain twice.

I thinks his credentials as captain are as good as any previous nominee (aside from Jacklin and Gallacher who did the job multiple times).
Four Stars