for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: F1 2009 season

Post by Slipper1 »

from the IT
Massa to have surgery after crash

Formula One: Ferrari's Felipe Massa will miss tomorrow's Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix after being hit on the helmet by debris in qualifying and being taken to hospital for surgery to a head wound.

"He will not race tomorrow," a spokesperson said.

The Brazilian, championship runner-up last year, was hit by a fist-sized spring that fell off compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn during today's session.

The Ferrari car, leaving streaking brake marks across the asphalt, ploughed straight on at turn four and into the tyre wall.

Massa was extracted and taken by ambulance to the circuit medical centre before being flown to the AEK hospital in nearby Budapest.

Ferrari, the reigning champions, said in a statement that Massa was conscious on arrival at the hospital and his general conditions were stable.

"Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion," it added.

"These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care. Further information will be released later tonight."

Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport website (www.gazzetta.it) showed a photograph of the driver with his visor half ripped off and a bloody gash over his closed left eye.
Get in the f%~king bag.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

He's had the op and is recovering. What are the chances of two similar incidents in the space of a week. Unfortunately Surtees wasn't as fortunate as Massa
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Reading some of the reports it sounds like Massa's career may be over. He's lucky to still be alive though
gERI
Knowledgeable

Post by gERI »

They have him in an induced coma for 48 hours but seems he had a good night. They are saying its too early to tell but possibly he wont be back in the cockpit until next year but it all depends on how he is doing.

Ross Brawn has said that the two incidents will need to be looked at and evaluated from a safety point of view to see if anything needs to be done. Hopefully Massa will make a full recovery.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

gERI wrote:They have him in an induced coma for 48 hours but seems he had a good night. They are saying its too early to tell but possibly he wont be back in the cockpit until next year but it all depends on how he is doing.

Ross Brawn has said that the two incidents will need to be looked at and evaluated from a safety point of view to see if anything needs to be done. Hopefully Massa will make a full recovery.
Rumour has it that Schumacher will take his place in the team for the rest of the season.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

aisling7 wrote:
gERI wrote:They have him in an induced coma for 48 hours but seems he had a good night. They are saying its too early to tell but possibly he wont be back in the cockpit until next year but it all depends on how he is doing.

Rumour has it that Schumacher will take his place in the team for the rest of the season.
Heard that rumour but i really doubt it. I know Schumi has been doing testing for Ferrari and he could provide some invaluable feedback over the rest of the season as they develop next season's car. But I really don't see him making a return, I suspect that either Gene or Badoer will get the drive.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

aisling7 wrote:Rumour has it that Schumacher will take his place in the team for the rest of the season.
It would be brilliant but I'd very much doubt it. He's been out of racing for quite a while and with the lack of testing this year, it'd be hard for him to get to know the car quickly enough to be properly on the pace for the next race and he probably wouldn't fancy the chance of being slower than Raikkonen. Gene or Badoer are the most likely choices.

My favourite rumour is that Alonso will drive for Ferrari in Valencia after Renault got suspended from the race!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Fair f%~ks to Hamilton. Got it spot on yesterday. I've no doubt he would have overhauled Alonso with the pace he was showing. Would have been a ding dong overtake battle though.

If nothing else, its good to see Nicole Scherzinger back in F1
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Schumi wrote:
aisling7 wrote:Rumour has it that Schumacher will take his place in the team for the rest of the season.
It would be brilliant but I'd very much doubt it. He's been out of racing for quite a while and with the lack of testing this year, it'd be hard for him to get to know the car quickly enough to be properly on the pace for the next race and he probably wouldn't fancy the chance of being slower than Raikkonen. Gene or Badoer are the most likely choices.

My favourite rumour is that Alonso will drive for Ferrari in Valencia after Renault got suspended from the race!
Never mind, didn't read the whole post, sorry.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Darce wrote: If nothing else, its good to see Nicole Scherzinger back in F1
Was that the little princess they showed jumping up and down in the pits while Hamilton's Dad tried not to look embarrassed. Man I wish they'd stop those stupid pit lane stops, I wanted to throw something at her by the end of the race. I never thought I'd be saying this but I miss the days of Erja Hakkinen watching proudly with bald man from McLaren.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
gERI
Knowledgeable

Post by gERI »

Ahh, I remember the days of Erja. Mind you there was times, I wanted to wipe that smug look of her face. Then there was the classic Hakkinen crying in the bush moment LOL!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

I see BMW are to pull out of F1 from next year! Don't even remember seeing them last Sunday! They won't be missed to much but I hope that this doesn't start a trend with the big teams pulling out because of the high costs involved!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

BMW Sauber have confirmed they are to withdraw from Formula One at the end of the 2009 season.

The announcement, made at the team's headquarters in Munich and on their website, means BMW are the second major manufacturer to pull out of the sport in the space of eight months following Honda's withdrawal in December.

The news comes ahead of the imminent signing this week of a new Concorde Agreement, the commercial document that governs F1 and binds the teams to the sport for the length of the contract.

BMW made their decision at a management board meeting on Tuesday.

"Of course, this was a difficult decision for us, but it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realignment,'' said Dr Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the Board of Management of BMW.

"Premium will be increasingly defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead.

"We are continually reviewing all projects and initiatives to check them for future viability and sustainability.

"Our Formula One campaign is thus less a key promoter for us.''

BMW had made rapid strides in F1 since taking over Sauber ahead of the 2006 season, scoring two podium finishes and claiming fifth in the constructors' championship that year.

In 2007, the team finished second in the constructors' race, aided by McLaren's exclusion in the wake of the 'spy saga', amassing 101 points.

Then last season Robert Kubica scored BMW Sauber's first victory at the Canadian Grand Prix en route to the team taking 135 points and finishing behind Ferrari and McLaren.

At the start of the season, BMW Motorsport boss Mario Theissen insisted it was the team's intention to push for both titles.

But the team have been a major disappointment after failing to get to grips with the introduction of new regulations, taking just eight points from 10 grands prix to date.

BMW's issues have been compounded by the fact that despite Ferrari and McLaren making similarly slow starts, those two teams are back up to speed, leaving the German marque at the back of the grid.

"Mario Theissen has been in charge of our motorsport's program since 1999,'' added Reithofer.

"We have scored a large number of successes in this period, including some in Formula One racing.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Mario and his team for this.''

BMW's withdrawal is a major surprise as they have been a pivotal player in the recent negotiations between the FIA and the Formula One Teams' Association to reduce costs in the sport.

The signing of the new Concorde had been viewed as the end of the saga, with the 13 teams that were due to compete likely to do so through to at least 2012.

But BMW are to now focus the resources to be saved on F1 into the development of new drive technologies and sustainability.

Dr Klaus Draeger, member of the Board of Management responsible for development, confirmed BMW Sauber's recent poor results had played a major part in the thinking behind the team's exit from F1.

"It only took us three years to establish ourselves as a top team in Formula One,'' said Draeger.

"Unfortunately, we were unable to meet expectations. Nevertheless, our 10 years of Formula One experience have had a major impact on our development engineers.

"We have racing to thank for numerous technological innovations, as well as the competitive spirit that drives us to develop mass-produced cars.''

It is certain redundancies will follow, both in Munich and at their other plant in Hinwil, Switzerland.

Draeger added: "We will develop and assess various scenarios and do our best to find a solution for the employees in Hinwil and the staff members involved in the Formula One project in Munich.

"We are aware of the responsibility we shoulder and will inform the staff as soon as we can make a clear statement.''

Theissen was fully appreciative of the executive decision made to end the team's involvement in F1.

"We would all have liked to continue this ambitious campaign and show that this season was just a hiccup following three successful years,'' said Theissen.

"But I can understand why this decision was made from a corporate perspective.

"We will now focus sharply on the remaining races, demonstrate our fighting spirit and put in a good result as we bid farewell to Formula One racing.''

BMW will continue its participation in the World Touring Car Championship, Formula BMW, the American Le Mans Series and other endurance races, as well as World Superbikes.

As for drivers Kubica and Nick Heidfeld, they will now be on the lookout for another team for next season.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Reports on Sky saying that Massa can see out of his wounded eye.... great news.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

guess who's back, back again?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

sarah_lennon wrote:guess who's back, back again?
I'm delighted. My childhood hero is back!! :D
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

thecoolfreak wrote:
That's how Lewis Hamilton feels too!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

sarah_lennon wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
That's how Lewis Hamilton feels too!
I knew it :D I am so excited........
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Schumacher to replace Massa

Motor Sport : Michael Schumacher has agreed to stand in for the injured Ferrari Formula One driver Felipe Massa for the rest of the season, the Italian team have announced. The seven-time world champion will return to the pit lane for the first time since retiring in 2006.

Schumacher, Formula One's most successful driver with 91 wins, is still a consultant to the Italian team with whom he won five titles and remains in good physical condition, working out regularly.

"Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again," Ferrari confirmed in a statement.

"Michael Schumacher said he is ready and, over the next few days, will undertake a specific training programme at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August."

Massa, last year's championship runner-up, fractured his skull in an accident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix on Saturday and remains in intensive care in a Budapest hospital.

The Brazilian, a close friend of Schumacher from their time together at Ferrari, was hit just above his left eye by a bouncing spring weighing almost a kilo that broke free from compatriot Rubens Barrichello's Brawn car.

Massa was due to leave intensive care today after taking his first steps since he fractured his skull.

"The driver has had more exams carried out, confirming his continuing improvement," the team said. "Felipe speaks, can sit upright and was even able to take his first steps. Today he will leave intensive care."

Massa underwent emergency surgery on Saturday after being flown to the hospital in what doctors said was a life-threatening condition.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who went to Massa's bedside on Monday when the Brazilian was under sedation, was flying back to Budapest to greet him.
Get in the f%~king bag.
gERI
Knowledgeable

Post by gERI »

I have to say I'm surprised but delighted. Raikkonen and Schumi dont like each other. It was one of the reasons Schumi was given a bit of a push as they wanted Raikkonen so Schumi retired though it was denied that he was pushed to retire.

They generally dont schedule Schumi doing testing the same day as Raikkonen so it should be very interesting.

So very glad to hear about Massa.

Geri