NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: NFL

Post by hugonaut »

It'll be very interesting to see how the Pats do this season – Randy Moss seems to have passed his peak, and I doubt Welker will be ready for the start of the next season. Peter King reported yesterday in Sports Illustrated that Tom Brady isn't in voluntary training camp for the first time in years, choosing to spend more time with his kids. Yet again, Belichick didn't draft any sort of decent running back, and while he picked up a couple of tight-ends in the draft, expecting second round rookie tight ends to make massive contributions is pretty unrealistic.

Not convinced with their pass rush either, and they didn't really address that in either the draft or in free agency.

Jets were huge movers in the off-season, really impressed with Rex Ryan's "Win Now!" attitude. I reckon Jason Taylor will have a great last season, given that Ryan is about the most imaginative blitz-happy head coach in the league – plus Kris Jenkins will be back at NT to chomp up offensive linemen. Cromartie and Revis Island look like an absolute incredible CB partnership on paper, will be interesting to see if the former can get back to his 2007-08 form. Not sure about bringing in LT, think that he has fallen off a cliff in terms of run production, but a good safety valve as a receiver for the Sanchise on 3rd downs.

Long summer of offseason ahead though!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

hugonaut wrote:It'll be very interesting to see how the Pats do this season – Randy Moss seems to have passed his peak, and I doubt Welker will be ready for the start of the next season. Peter King reported yesterday in Sports Illustrated that Tom Brady isn't in voluntary training camp for the first time in years, choosing to spend more time with his kids. Yet again, Belichick didn't draft any sort of decent running back, and while he picked up a couple of tight-ends in the draft, expecting second round rookie tight ends to make massive contributions is pretty unrealistic.

Not convinced with their pass rush either, and they didn't really address that in either the draft or in free agency.

Jets were huge movers in the off-season, really impressed with Rex Ryan's "Win Now!" attitude. I reckon Jason Taylor will have a great last season, given that Ryan is about the most imaginative blitz-happy head coach in the league – plus Kris Jenkins will be back at NT to chomp up offensive linemen. Cromartie and Revis Island look like an absolute incredible CB partnership on paper, will be interesting to see if the former can get back to his 2007-08 form. Not sure about bringing in LT, think that he has fallen off a cliff in terms of run production, but a good safety valve as a receiver for the Sanchise on 3rd downs.

Long summer of offseason ahead though!

Delighted to see you're an NFL fan Hugonaut.....if your commentary is even half as informed and entertaining as your rugby posts I'm looking forward to the season already.

Yeah,Cromartie....the guy who's fathered 7 kids in 5 different states-"Who's your Daddy" eh?? Hopefully he can regain that 07 season form like you suggest,if he does we'll have two lockdown corners, our top pick in the draft Wilson to come in as well.......we'll be buying a hell of an ammount of time to be getting to the QB.
I have to say I hate the Taylor move, he's spent his whole career dissing the Jets organisation(and the fans) and no one wanted him. I really fail to see the value in the move for us. I'd have preferred if we'd picked up some solid defensive player in the draft, I'm worried about the increasing age profile of the Jets. This includes the LT purchase but hopefully we'll be proved wrong and the guy can make some plays(particularly the 3rd down situations you mention-he still has GREAT hands)

But hey, what do I know? As I said earlier Rex has earned the right after last season to put his own stamp on the team. I'm a member of the Official Jets fan forum as well so I spend a good deal of time on there also, helps to shorten the ridiculously long off-season!

What's your team btw?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

hugonaut wrote:It'll be very interesting to see how the Pats do this season
Wasn't the Pats main problems last year a substandard secondary?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Anyone else have tickets to the game in Wembley? It's a rematch of Superbowl XXIV (first one I was allowed stay up for), I'm looking forward to it.
Triskaidekaphobia
Bookworm

Post by Triskaidekaphobia »

yeah, 2 of us heading over on the Saturday, back Monday. Yet to book a hotel though, any recommendations for somewhere that'd be handy for Sat night drinks and easy to get back to after the match on Sunday?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Triskaidekaphobia wrote:yeah, 2 of us heading over on the Saturday, back Monday. Yet to book a hotel though, any recommendations for somewhere that'd be handy for Sat night drinks and easy to get back to after the match on Sunday?
Last place I stayed in London was great and good value (London Irish game). Grange City Hotel, there's a thread about it somewhere here. It's in an officey area so can be cheap at weekends and is right beside the Tower of London. Wasn't that expensive compared to some of the kips I've stayed in for 5* luxury. Wouldn't be ideal for heaving nightlife in the area though.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Avenger wrote:
Yeah, they drafted McCourty [CB] with their first pick this year, Patrick Chung with their first pick [which was actually in the second round] in 2009 with Darius Butler [another CB] also in the second round; Terence Wheatly [another CB] was their second round pick in 2008 [after the excellent Jerod Mayo], and Brandon Meriweather was their first pick in 2007. In theory, their secondary should be in very good nick, composed entirely of young, high first/low second round picks. In practice though, none of them [with the arguable exception of Brandon Meriweather who pulls off some big plays] are really challenging for Pro Bowl honours. They'll get better, because Belichick is a great coach, but to be honest I expected them to be better last season.

I think you can blame a good bit of that on their recently anaemic pass-rush: if a good QB isn't under any real pressure, he can make any DB look bad. Trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders when Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel have either retired or been let go was a really questionable move. Seymour was just so good and so versatile, either at DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4, and he was always a sack threat [even as a 3-technique DT].

To answer your question Nelly, I was a big Dolphins fan growing up – Dan Marino days! Have a real soft spot for both the 49ers [to be honest, I love the 49ers, but I made my Dolphins bed when I was a kid and feel obliged to lie in it!] and the Redskins as well; delighted to see Mike Shanahan with the 'Skins.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

hugonaut wrote:I think you can blame a good bit of that on their recently anaemic pass-rush: if a good QB isn't under any real pressure, he can make any DB look bad. Trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders when Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel have either retired or been let go was a really questionable move. Seymour was just so good and so versatile, either at DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4, and he was always a sack threat [even as a 3-technique DT].
True dat ;)
Its all about the lines. The O line keeps the QB off his ass and the D line tries to put him on it.
Given time and decent QB will pick apart any backfield.

In the modern NFL it's very hard to keep a winning team together for any length of time. The Pats were always going to be broken up at some stage - 3 SBs and a SB loss after a perfect season.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

As well as losing practically all their coaching staff and backroom staff over the same period – Charlie Weis to Notre Dame, then Kansas, Romeo Crennel to Cleveland, then Kansas and Scott Pioli to ... where? Kansas. Figure in losing McDaniels to the Broncos as well, and that is an absolutely massive turnover of staff.

It has been raised umpteen times on ESPN, SI, Football Outsiders etc., but Belichick's constant trading down and stock-piling of picks is becoming more and more intriguing/questionable. The Pats never seem to go for a 'big-name' prospect out of college, or even people in skill positions. I understand the thinking that there are plenty of RBs around in the 3rd and 4th rounds, that first round is almost always a reach for all but the best TE in the draft, that WR is the most bust-likely choice in the first, but come on! Draft an athletic DE or pass-rushing OLB, not just corners and O-line guys Bill!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

hugonaut wrote:As well as losing practically all their coaching staff and backroom staff over the same period – Charlie Weis to Notre Dame, then Kansas, Romeo Crennel to Cleveland, then Kansas and Scott Pioli to ... where? Kansas. Figure in losing McDaniels to the Broncos as well, and that is an absolutely massive turnover of staff.

It has been raised umpteen times on ESPN, SI, Football Outsiders etc., but Belichick's constant trading down and stock-piling of picks is becoming more and more intriguing/questionable. The Pats never seem to go for a 'big-name' prospect out of college, or even people in skill positions. I understand the thinking that there are plenty of RBs around in the 3rd and 4th rounds, that first round is almost always a reach for all but the best TE in the draft, that WR is the most bust-likely choice in the first, but come on! Draft an athletic DE or pass-rushing OLB, not just corners and O-line guys Bill!
I can assure you that as a long-suffering Jets fan I have absolutely ZERO problem with that! :)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Yeah, they drafted McCourty [CB] with their first pick this year, Patrick Chung with their first pick [which was actually in the second round] in 2009 with Darius Butler [another CB] also in the second round; Terence Wheatly [another CB] was their second round pick in 2008 [after the excellent Jerod Mayo], and Brandon Meriweather was their first pick in 2007. In theory, their secondary should be in very good nick, composed entirely of young, high first/low second round picks. In practice though, none of them [with the arguable exception of Brandon Meriweather who pulls off some big plays] are really challenging for Pro Bowl honours. They'll get better, because Belichick is a great coach, but to be honest I expected them to be better last season.

I think you can blame a good bit of that on their recently anaemic pass-rush: if a good QB isn't under any real pressure, he can make any DB look bad. Trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders when Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel have either retired or been let go was a really questionable move. Seymour was just so good and so versatile, either at DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4, and he was always a sack threat [even as a 3-technique DT].

To answer your question Nelly, I was a big Dolphins fan growing up – Dan Marino days! Have a real soft spot for both the 49ers [to be honest, I love the 49ers, but I made my Dolphins bed when I was a kid and feel obliged to lie in it!] and the Redskins as well; delighted to see Mike Shanahan with the 'Skins.

Ah, another Dolphins fan from the glory days of Channel 4!

We'll see if JT does as well for the Jets as he's done in Miami. It's a weird move, but you've gotta get paid somehow. I think the Jets off-season has been a very big and expensive gamble that could either push them that extra step up to SB contenders, or straight over the edge. It's not a young team and there are some inconsistent players in there. If everyone clicks, they'll win the AFC east. Sanchez has to show he's as good as the playoff run and not the regular season.

The Fins are looking pretty good now. Like your analysis of the Pats secondary being sold short by the linebackers, I think Nolan coming in at DC and all those defensive players drafted by the Fins will turn our defence around. I can't see us buying Atogwe, given his age, but we should manage without a safety signing.

If ROnnie Brown stays relatively injury-free (I know, I know....!) the Fins have the ammo to get as far as a championship game. A lot of guys will be learning a lot of new playbook stuff in the off-season, but that's why Parcells and co. only targeted captains in the draft.

So, Hugo, is Henne the real deal all Fin-fans are praying he'll be? DOn't think the Dolphins could take another QB disappointment! At least the backup is very solid this season.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Not sold yet on Henne – he has been getting a good bit of positive noise since he was drafted [not in the same category as 'Matty Ice', who the sports media in America seem to have named as the successor to Tom Brady's throne of All-American quarterbacks], but I would probably have been happier with Pennington under centre for the whole of last season if his gammy shoulder had held up ... of course it was never likely to!

Brandon Marshall is a massive, massive upgrade on Ted Ginn. Whatever about his off-field issues, he's an outstanding receiver in every aspect – great red-zone threat with his hands, height and jumping ability, really physical after the catch, ability to make guys miss, brave across the middle and a near-elite deep threat. Along with Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz and Calvin 'Megatron' Johnson, he's one of the truly elite receivers in the league.

Hopefully Ricky Williams can contribute another 800-900 yard season, although it's a big ask for a guy getting on in years. Like you say, Ronnie Brown is a hell of a player if he can stay uninjured, but I just don't see it, unfortunately. Still, not at all sold on the Pats draft or their free agency to date, and with Randy Moss a year older, Brady missing voluntary training for the first time in his career and Welker returning from injury, I can't see the Pats lighting up the division like they did for most of the last decade. Buffalo are sh*t, and their draft was horrendous: really can't see them being a contender in any form, unless CJ Spiller becomes Barry Sanders.

Going to be interesting to see how the Jets go with a team full of stars, but notable pieces gone from their most reliable unit last year, i.e. Leon Washington, Thomas Jones and Alan Faneca.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Pennington, (like Smiley, Wilson, Ayodele and many others) was a good stopgap player for a franchise in deep sh!t, that was never going to attract marquee names on a 1-15 record. He's a safer option than Henne, but in an increasingly pass-dominated league the Fins could never have improved on their current standing with Pennington swinging his gammy, short-range arm. He's the Ronan O'Gara of QBs! Solid, smart, ageing and limited. No better mentor for Henne. Makes you cry to think it could (should) have been Brees out there!

I don't know about Henne either. He's carrying a lot on his shoulders, but he seems to like the pressure and he has a big arm. Time will tell. At least he's now got a freakishly big offensive line to stand behind and - finally - an elite threat in marshall.

They need one of the #2 receiver contenders to stand up though (and for Ronnie to survive more than 10 games), before Marshall's potential can really be unleashed. Dolphins fans seem to love Hartline - I think he's honest, got good hands and he's brave. But very clumsy. I wouldn't write off Camarillo to be #2 and the surprise package might be Pruitt.

Ginn for a 5th was a great deal for the 49ers. He needed a move - such was the hate in Miami. A little unjust, but not entirely undeserved.

I thought the Pats had a poor draft and the Bills... well I have to say I miss the Marino vs. Kelly days. Jets draft was OK, but they should never have let Washington go in particular. As I said, they'll either step up one more gear or implode. Lot of tricky egos in that camp.

Jest and Fish to duel it out at the end, I think.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hard to forget that ludicrous quarter that Ginn put in last season with two 100-yard kick returns versus the Jets alright!

I think Henne is very Roethlisberger-y in a number of ways, although that might be down to their facial similarity:

Henne: http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uplo ... tures1.jpg
Roethlisberger: http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archiv ... erger2.jpg

I must say that I like Camarillo as a No.2 receiver. He's not exactly Anquan Boldin to Marshall's Larry Fitzgerald, but he's a safe pair of hands, and with potentially both Williams and/or Brown receiving passes out of the backfield, be it out of a Wildcat formation or more orthodox set-up, there's enough talent there to keep defenses honest. Marshall is going to be double-teamed all season though, so you are looking for another receiver to step up and play the sort of role that Eddie Royal played [in his excellent rookie season, not his undistinguished sophomore effort] with Marshall in Denver.

As for Breesus Christ? What a player. The guy is absolutely unreal, and a total gent off the pitch to boot.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:Hard to forget that ludicrous quarter that Ginn put in last season with two 100-yard kick returns versus the Jets alright!

I think Henne is very Roethlisberger-y in a number of ways, although that might be down to their facial similarity:

Henne: http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uplo ... tures1.jpg
Roethlisberger: http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archiv ... erger2.jpg

I must say that I like Camarillo as a No.2 receiver. He's not exactly Anquan Boldin to Marshall's Larry Fitzgerald, but he's a safe pair of hands, and with potentially both Williams and/or Brown receiving passes out of the backfield, be it out of a Wildcat formation or more orthodox set-up, there's enough talent there to keep defenses honest. Marshall is going to be double-teamed all season though, so you are looking for another receiver to step up and play the sort of role that Eddie Royal played [in his excellent rookie season, not his undistinguished sophomore effort] with Marshall in Denver.

As for Breesus Christ? What a player. The guy is absolutely unreal, and a total gent off the pitch to boot.
Hopefully Henne doesn't share Big Ben's nocturnal proclivities...

I think offensively the Fins are pretty much sorted. O-line, QB, No. 1 receiver, slot receiver and RB are all top level. No.2 receiver, tight end and KR/PR are decent. Sparano likes his tight end to mainly block, so I can live with Fasano. Cobbs will probably be the KR. There are a few receiver candidates to play with Marshall - sounds like we both think it'll be Camarillo.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dont Panic!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Well chaps, any view on the upcoming season now that kickoff is only a week away?

I'm heading over in a couple of weeks to see the Jets play New England,meeting up with a big crew from the Jets forum-should be a real blast at that particular tailgate party.
Not signing Revis is a huge blow and could seriously harm our palyoff chances. LT has looked very good in preseason and with Shonn Greene in his second season our running game should still be very effective. Sanchez though............still throwing picks and played very poorly in Training Camp by all accounts. Worrying-he had a poor enough rookie season,he can ill-afford the traditional second-season slump.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I'm liking Bradford so far. Looks like a real star in the making. Still too soon for the Rams but hopefully 5 or 6 wins. Any progression after the last 3 seasons will be welcome.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Very average preseason from the fins. To be expected given the range of changes to lineup and coaches. They've a terrible schedule so no time to bed in. If SECAM get to our week 5/6 bye at .500 or better, I'll be happy. Henne and marshall not clicking yet. Think we'll buy a WR off waivers and maybe a centre.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Avenger wrote:I'm liking Bradford so far. Looks like a real star in the making. Still too soon for the Rams but hopefully 5 or 6 wins. Any progression after the last 3 seasons will be welcome.
Bradford looks really, really good so far. There are still huge holes in the Rams' roster though, huge gaping holes. I just hope that Bradford doesn't get too bashed up before they can get a decent offensive line in front of him ... they could have the beginnings of one with Jason Brown at centre, Jason Smith at right tackle and Roger Saffold at left tackle, but two of those guys are very young and haven't really done anything in the league yet. They also have the worst receiving corps I think I've ever seen in the NFL, just absolutely appalling.

Aaron Rodgers is going to set fire to the league for Green Bay. He's going to have a monster, monster season.