for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Brian O'Driscoll

Re: General GAA thread

Post by Avenger »

6 all Ireland’s. The first 5 in a row.
Talk about going out on top.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

JB1973
Mullet

Post by JB1973 »

Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

JB1973 wrote:Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!
Media trying to blame Dublin for it, even naming Dublin players but no Tyrone ones :roll:
Owen Mulligan even chimed in. Pot kettle :roll:

JB1973
Mullet

Post by JB1973 »

Laighin Break wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Looks that Tyrone Dublin game was a bit lively the weekend, the video doing the round of the half time punch up is very full on!
Media trying to blame Dublin for it, even naming Dublin players but no Tyrone ones :roll:
Owen Mulligan even chimed in. Pot kettle :roll:

I don't know that much about the GAA , the football is great to watch but the hurling (while skilful) I find hard to follow

Dublin recent record is fantastic no matter what sport your in to win 5 titles in a row is great going, but the law of averages says they are bound to slip up in a knock out game sooner or later, I thought Kerry could and proably should have won that first final last season.

Would they or one of the ulster teams be the biggest danger to Dublin this season?

Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by Dave Cahill »

JB1973 wrote:
I don't know that much about the GAA , the football is great to watch but the hurling (while skilful) I find hard to follow

Dublin recent record is fantastic no matter what sport your in to win 5 titles in a row is great going, but the law of averages says they are bound to slip up in a knock out game sooner or later, I thought Kerry could and proably should have won that first final last season.

Would they or one of the ulster teams be the biggest danger to Dublin this season?
Kerry have everything it takes to beat Dublin - they have the players, the resources, the physical and mental strength and the heritage. They just haven't yet.

Tyrone can beat Dublin if Dublin aren't 100% on it. They have the system and the system is all, bow down before the system. They don't play much football - they play anti-football. Somewhat ironically they have a lot of really skilful players and some of their club sides are a joy to watch. The other thing about Tyrone is that, much as it has caused a crisis in football, they are possibly the only truely innovative team in gaelic games since the second world war.

Mayo have the players, but they have the mental fortitude and organisational backup of a slice of easi-single processed cheese food
I have Bumbleflex

JB1973
Mullet

Post by JB1973 »

Quick gaa based question

1) can this be played in the winter months or would that make a sport like hurling impossible?

2) if it is played in the winter say alongside football and rugby will that have a major impact on spectators and players ?

3) do people play gaa as well as soccer and rugby or will it tend to be one or the other? (I'm thinking more of grass roots than elite level)

Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by Dave Cahill »

1) It's not ideal, but it's doable

2) Massive - I'd hate to see the gate at a Munster game if it were up against a Limerick or Cork hurling match in the championship - same with Leinster up against the Dubs in football

3) it would depend on the level - a guy/girl who is playing senior club would tend not to play other sports simply because they wouldn't have time, but it wouldn't be unusual for intermediate, junior and social players to play multiple sports. As well, GAA is two sports (actually its more than that, Handball and Rounders are also GAA sports in Ireland, but for the purpose of this discussion we'll stick with Football and Hurling/Camogie*) so there would be a certain amount of dual-sports players.

*yes, I know it isn''t.
I have Bumbleflex

kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Aren't club championships and county leagues played through the winter and county championships through summer?

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

kermischocolate wrote:Aren't club championships and county leagues played through the winter and county championships through summer?
No. Club season (in Dublin at least) usually starts mid-Feb with some cup games; league starts late Feb/early March; Championship starts a bit later, April maybe.
Games are played through the summer, with a three week break in August, with an aim to finish up late September/early October. Things usually run on a little longer due to a backlog of games postponed due to weather/conflicts.
Then there's the club provincial/All Ireland championship which runs after the county championships have completed.

Intercounty calendar starts with Cups December - January; League January - March; Champo May - August.