Magners League Dates???

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fred Funk
Mullet

Magners League Dates???

Post by Fred Funk »

Does anybody know when the exact dates/times will be announced for the magners league games. I am talking about those in September/October?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Magners League Dates???

Post by Donny B. »

By this time last year they'd set the first two months fixtures but they're taking their sweet time this season.

It's annoying as hell cause I'm trying to organise holidays in September and need to know when our three home games will be. :evil:
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

Donny B. wrote:By this time last year they'd set the first two months fixtures but they're taking their sweet time this season.

It's annoying as hell cause I'm trying to organise holidays in September and need to know when our three home games will be. :evil:
It's obviously a hell of a lot more complicated than Setanta choosing which games they want to cover and BBC Wales & S4C fighting it out for the coverage of the best game in Wales each weekend.

Do you ever get the feeling that the Magners League is run by a couple of blokes in a portacabin?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Bones wrote:
Donny B. wrote:By this time last year they'd set the first two months fixtures but they're taking their sweet time this season.

It's obviously a hell of a lot more complicated than Setanta choosing which games they want to cover and BBC Wales & S4C fighting it out for the coverage of the best game in Wales each weekend.

Do you ever get the feeling that the Magners League is run by a couple of blokes in a portacabin?
The fact that they're based in Glasgow, the city with the least interest in rugby in the whole competition, tells you all you need to know. I sent them an email asking about when fixtures will be announced. No response yet. Going on past performance, not really expecting one either. :evil:
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

Donny B. wrote:The fact that they're based in Glasgow, the city with the least interest in rugby in the whole competition, tells you all you need to know. I sent them an email asking about when fixtures will be announced. No response yet. Going on past performance, not really expecting one either. :evil:
I emailed them once and I did get a reply, it took about 5 weeks but I got one. I also subscribed to their newsletter 2 years ago and have so far received 2.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I'm especially interested in the Munster game on the 27th Sept. I've got a function that I need to be at at 8pm and I'm struggling to see how I'm going to make it. Of the 5 Sat games last year 1 was at 17:30, 1 at 18:00, 1at 18:30 and 2 at 19:30. Here's praying its on early.
You'll recognise me as the eejit with the Leinster Jersey over the Tux.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

TrapperChamonix wrote:I'm especially interested in the Munster game on the 27th Sept. I've got a function that I need to be at at 8pm and I'm struggling to see how I'm going to make it. Of the 5 Sat games last year 1 was at 17:30, 1 at 18:00, 1at 18:30 and 2 at 19:30. Here's praying its on early.
You'll recognise me as the eejit with the Leinster Jersey over the Tux.
Is it your wedding??
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

:lol: I'm keen to see the game but I'm not insane.

In April the Munster game was on at 18:30, persumably to give time to supporters to travel back to Cork/Limerick. Hoefully its the same this year.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

TrapperChamonix wrote::lol: I'm keen to see the game but I'm not insane.

In April the Munster game was on at 18:30, persumably to give time to supporters to travel back to Cork/Limerick. Hoefully its the same this year.
Munster fans won't travel in numbers to an auld magners game in Dublin - the vast majority that will in the RDS will be those who have chosen to make Dublin their home.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

deco wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote::lol: I'm keen to see the game but I'm not insane.

Munster fans won't travel in numbers to an auld magners game in Dublin - the vast majority that will in the RDS will be those who have chosen to make Dublin their home.
Shagging our women and drinking our beer, no doubt :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Bones wrote: Do you ever get the feeling that [.....] is run by a couple of blokes in a portacabin?

That sounds more like Setanta's set-up! :P
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

Leinsterman wrote:
Bones wrote: Do you ever get the feeling that [.....] is run by a couple of blokes in a portacabin?

That sounds more like Setanta's set-up! :P
Setanta & Magners League TV rights negotiations

Right then lads, here's how it is, we'll pay every home team €100 per game that we televise and for your cut we'll do a half time meat raffle and split the profits 60-40, now I can't say fairer than that. Do we have ourselves a deal? Right, let me draw up the contract. Now, have you got an empty packet of Major handy?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

The ML website is pretty poor as well and ironically, after games are played it is one of the slowest sites to update the fixtures page and table page of it's own league...a few days sometimes.

What kind of funding do they get from the Magners sponsorship and Setanta TV rights? Am I right in saying there's no prize money either?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I was going to head over to Cardiff for the first game if it was on the Saturday, seeing as I will be heading for Donington Park on Sunday. I can't be arsed waiting for Magners, Setanta, et al to get their acts together, so i've taken up an offer to watch the Wasps v Irish and Saracens v Quins double header at Twickenham instead. It's about time the IRFU, SRU and WRU told the sponsors and Television Companies that their treatment of travelling supporters is unacceptable. It's not the Guinness Premiership where you can jump in the car/on a train and do a day trip. We've flight/ferries/ hotels to book. Just over four weeks to go and nothing. It's a joke. :x :x :x
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Hornet wrote:I was going to head over to Cardiff for the first game if it was on the Saturday, seeing as I will be heading for Donington Park on Sunday. I can't be arsed waiting for Magners, Setanta, et al to get their acts together, so i've taken up an offer to watch the Wasps v Irish and Saracens v Quins double header at Twickenham instead. It's about time the IRFU, SRU and WRU told the sponsors and Television Companies that their treatment of travelling supporters is unacceptable. It's not the Guinness Premiership where you can jump in the car/on a train and do a day trip. We've flight/ferries/ hotels to book. Just over four weeks to go and nothing. It's a joke. :x :x :x
And they wonder why there's next to no travelling support at games :roll:
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

[Jackass] wrote:The ML website is pretty poor as well and ironically, after games are played it is one of the slowest sites to update the fixtures page and table page of it's own league...a few days sometimes.

What kind of funding do they get from the Magners sponsorship and Setanta TV rights? Am I right in saying there's no prize money either?
Have you checked the Magners League website lately? And compare it to the Guinness Premiership? The ML has three pieces of news, and 5 match reports from the end of last season. The table hasn't changed and under the fixtures section, they are still showing ones from last season. The GP looks regularly updated, with the games to be covered live etc. The ML site has no interviews, features or anything. You'd think they'd at least out up a signings section, or update the squad lists.
And David Jordan keeps reminding us in match day programmes that the ML is developing rapidly with better matches, and bigger attendences.

The Magners League looks like a League the teams could organise themselves, without having an official company to do so.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

[Jackass] wrote:The ML website is pretty poor as well and ironically, after games are played it is one of the slowest sites to update the fixtures page and table page of it's own league...a few days sometimes.

Judging by the speed at which the share price of the league's sponsoring company is falling - not an awful lot I would imagine.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Leinsterman wrote:

Judging by the speed at which the share price of the league's sponsoring company is falling - not an awful lot I would imagine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: (well not if you hold their stock)

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:I was going to head over to Cardiff for the first game if it was on the Saturday, seeing as I will be heading for Donington Park on Sunday. I can't be arsed waiting for Magners, Setanta, et al to get their acts together, so i've taken up an offer to watch the Wasps v Irish and Saracens v Quins double header at Twickenham instead. It's about time the IRFU, SRU and WRU told the sponsors and Television Companies that their treatment of travelling supporters is unacceptable. It's not the Guinness Premiership where you can jump in the car/on a train and do a day trip. We've flight/ferries/ hotels to book. Just over four weeks to go and nothing. It's a joke. :x :x :x
Only four weeks to go before the start of the season and we still don't know when we're playing.

The clubs should be pressuring that shower in Glasgow to get their act together.

By constrast, the Guinness Premiership announced their fixtures (with definite dates and times) on the 4th of July, more than a month ago!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

It's probably already been decided, they just forget to tell anybody.

"Ah, well that's the fixture list sorted, I'm off on holidays, see you in September!!"
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions