I didn't see this coming!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

mikerob wrote:
rex banner wrote:On the bright side if we used Twickers the team would be well used to the stadium and pitch in time for the HEC final 2007.
The Final would be a home game for us.(technically :? )
Easier said than done... Twickenham is in a residential area and there is an agreement with the local council for the number and schedule of events that are held there each year (trying to avoid disruption on successive weekends, etc.). Unless an event is planned for some time in advance, there is a good chance it won't be allowed - the local residents even managed to get a Pavarotti concert stopped.
To be honest, I don't see the problem, and I am a resident. I think the reason that the pav concert was stopped, was because up to a few years ago, Twickenham was just a rugby stadium. Then they decided to have concerts etc, and the local residents weren't happy. With Wembley being rebuilt, there's an agreement to stage, I think up to about 4 concerts a year. And once Wembley reopens, Twickenham will find it difficult to persuade the residents to let concerts take place.

Last year, when the stoop was being re-built (well, the West, or Lexus stand as it now is was), Quins held their HC game against Munster at Twickenham, and there weren't any problems.

Residents don't mind so much the rugby (you expect it living there), and the games are over by about 5. But concerts affect a lot of people, and last late into the evening, and despite being a mile of so away, I can hear all the concerts there are there as if they're taking place in my back garden!
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

claire_m wrote:
mikerob wrote:
rex banner wrote:On the bright side if we used Twickers the team would be well used to the stadium and pitch in time for the HEC final 2007.
The Final would be a home game for us.(technically :? )
Easier said than done... Twickenham is in a residential area and there is an agreement with the local council for the number and schedule of events that are held there each year (trying to avoid disruption on successive weekends, etc.). Unless an event is planned for some time in advance, there is a good chance it won't be allowed - the local residents even managed to get a Pavarotti concert stopped.
To be honest, I don't see the problem, and I am a resident. I think the reason that the pav concert was stopped, was because up to a few years ago, Twickenham was just a rugby stadium. Then they decided to have concerts etc, and the local residents weren't happy. With Wembley being rebuilt, there's an agreement to stage, I think up to about 4 concerts a year. And once Wembley reopens, Twickenham will find it difficult to persuade the residents to let concerts take place.

Last year, when the stoop was being re-built (well, the West, or Lexus stand as it now is was), Quins held their HC game against Munster at Twickenham, and there weren't any problems.

Residents don't mind so much the rugby (you expect it living there), and the games are over by about 5. But concerts affect a lot of people, and last late into the evening, and despite being a mile of so away, I can hear all the concerts there are there as if they're taking place in my back garden!
You personally may not see a problem but the RFU do need to get permission for events from the London Borough of Richmond, the met police and I think Transport for London as well. Any of these bodies may refuse permission because they believe the event comes outside existing agreements, other factors (e.g. TfL planned engineering works) and/or because of lobbying by residents groups.

The Quins-Munster game was in January 05 and the HEC draw was about 6 months before that so Quins had a lot of time to sort out arrangements for Twickenham so if Leinster (or Ulster or Munster) did want to use Twickenham, they'd need to get their provisional booking in fairly soon!
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

Surprised to hear that London is an option, do they think we're made of money???
why coudn't Shelbournes ground be used as an alternative, thats Dublin 9 i believe so it's not too far for anyone particularly apple sourz.
'Oh miss PacMan, i'd sex that bow right off your head!'
'Eat those dots, you naughty, naughty girl!'
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Im suprised they seem to have ruled out Tolka Park or Dalymount Park. There was a Rugby League International played in Tolka a few years ago when they had their World Cup. I think it holds about 10,000. Is it a snob thing? If so then what hope do they have of attracting new fans to watch them. The Eircom League will only have kicked off at the start of April and Im sure they would welcome the rental income Leinster Rugby would pay them.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Aren't there rumours of Tolka Park being sold off?!
Shelbourne are massively in debt and it looks like Bohs are selling off Dalymount and the two will share a new stadium in Castleknock apparently.
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

Leinsterman wrote:Aren't there rumours of Tolka Park being sold off?!
Shelbourne are massively in debt and it looks like Bohs are selling off Dalymount and the two will share a new stadium in Castleknock apparently.
True, there is specutlation that they will share a ground in Castleknock. Although, the sell off of Dalymount is complete, Shels are yet to announce and to my knowledge, decide on whether to sell. Still, that leaves Tolka park a very good option in April and early May, and as Mauler said, with their current financial status I'm sure they'd be delighted for the rental income. Surprised that LB haven't thought about that and it will probably generate a better atmosphere if its just 8-10,000 of the dedicated Leinster fans with a smattering of away fans, as opposed to the chino and deck shoe brigade
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Not quite correct. A developer wants to swap the land in Dalymount and build Bohs a stadium in Castleknock. I was at a public meeting about this last week. The lack of public transport, inadequate parking and residents opposition I doubt very much the stadium will get the green light. But even so, it wont happen for a long time as planning permission has not yet been granted, infact the land is part of the Liffey Valley National Park so its highly doubtful it ever will get the green light
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Beer Baron »

Touche! I hadn;'t heard that and I'm right between Phibsboro and Castleknock. 8)
Still, I think Shels groung should be considered as an alternative before moving abroad.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A public meeting, about a football stadium, held the night of the Champions League Final, starting at the same time.

Hmmmmmm
I have Bumbleflex
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Yeap 8pm last wednesday night ... but it was only knackerball and not many people in Castleknock are interested in the sport of chavs
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Mauler wrote:Yeap 8pm last wednesday night ... but it was only knackerball and not many people in Castleknock are interested in the sport of chavs
Oooh, if it wasn't for the fact that you'd smush me.... :oops:
I have Bumbleflex
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Im a drinker not a fighter Dave! (Except when some focker disrupts my Father Abraham :-)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats good, coz I'm a runner not a fighter :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Whats the problem with London. Biggest centre of Irish people out side Ireland and has a fock load of stadia. Where else will we play?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

epaddy wrote:Whats the problem with London. Biggest centre of Irish people out side Ireland and has a fock load of stadia. Where else will we play?
By your reasoning we should play in New York, as it is actually the biggest centre of Irish people outside Ireland.
I have Bumbleflex
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
epaddy wrote:Whats the problem with London. Biggest centre of Irish people out side Ireland and has a fock load of stadia. Where else will we play?
By your reasoning we should play in New York, as it is actually the biggest centre of Irish people outside Ireland.
Harly as excessable as jumpin on a flight to anyone of 3 airports(thats just london) or a boat journey. Dave where in Ireland that is currently available would you propose playing?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

epaddy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Harly as excessable as jumpin on a flight to anyone of 3 airports(thats just london) or a boat journey. Dave where in Ireland that is currently available would you propose playing?
Dalymount.
I have Bumbleflex
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

The sports ground hasnt seen a decent crowd in a long time. :D
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
epaddy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: By your reasoning we should play in New York, as it is actually the biggest centre of Irish people outside Ireland.
Dalymount.
To play a European semi o quater final???
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

epaddy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
epaddy wrote: Harly as excessable as jumpin on a flight to anyone of 3 airports(thats just london) or a boat journey. Dave where in Ireland that is currently available would you propose playing?
Dalymount.
To play a European semi o quater final???
Sorry, thought you meant in general.

But we can play a quarter final anywhere we like, the capacity requirement only kicks in for the semis. Personally I'd rather play a quarter anywhere in Ireland, be it TP (which is really only a suitable emergency egress away from a capacity upgrade) or Ravers if it meant the money staying within the Union

Edited for spelling
I have Bumbleflex