A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

I didn't see this coming!

Post by sexy_rexy »

Leinster may play HEC game in London
Tuesday, 23 May 14:28 BST

Leinster would consider playing in London should they secure a home draw in the quarter-finals of next year's Heineken Cup.

The province announced on Tuesday afternoon that their home matches next season will be divided up between Donnybrook and Lansdowne Road due to redevelopment work scheduled for the RDS.

However, with Lansdowne Road also set to revamped during 2007 that means that Leinster would be without a viable venue for a Heineken Cup quarter-final should they top their pool.

As a result, Leinster chief executive Mick Dawson is willing to travel across the Irish Sea.

"If we got a home draw, it would be a headache for us all, but we would probably have to look at somewhere in London," he admitted to reporters at a press conference in Dublin.

"With the support that's there for rugby, and Leinster, in particular, we'd be prepared to do that. We got 48,000 for a semi-final against Perpignan a couple of years ago so there's huge interest."

Predictably, the issue of playing at Croke Park was raised and Dawson didn't rule it out.

"I don't want to get myself into trouble with the IRFU or the GAA, but in an ideal world, yes it would be great to play there," he confessed.

"But my understanding of the agreement the GAA have with the IRFU and the FAI is that they will let them play international matches there while Lansdowne Road is closed, so nobody has spoken about provincial rugby, so it might be something worth looking at.

"If there are stadia in double available we'd much prefer to stay at home, and if the GAA were prepared to let us have Croke Park, we'd be delighted.

"But this is an issue for all the provinces, even Ulster, should they get a home draw in the quarter-finals, so it's not just us."

Dawson also revealed that Leinster were now hoping to use the RDS on a permanent basis in late 2007.

"The RDS has been a wonderful success for us this season, and because of that success they have decided that they want to redevelop the arena," he explained.

"So, they've put in a planning application for new floodlights and they also want to resurface the pitch.

"They've also applied for lotto funds to redevelop the stadium. So, they hope to end up with a 15,000 capacity stadium by 2007.

"We're currently in negotiations to secure a long-term agreement with them to move the Leinster Rugby club to the RDS."

So, next season most of Leinster's Celtic League games will be played at Donnybrook, which is a worry given the current state of the pitch.

However, Dawson is confident that the province won't have as much problem with the surface next season as they did during this year's campaign.

"The pitch for us at Donnybrook is obviously concern for us because it cut up so badly for us at the end of last season," he added.

"However, two things should be noted: we've got four months growing this summer; and secondly, there is a commitment to reduce the number of games and non-essential games at Donnybrook.

"So, given that Lansdowne will be close from January of next year it's essential that we have a playing surface at Donnybrook that befits professional rugby, and we should be able to achieve that."

From http://www.setanta.com/portal/article/r ... 770049e364
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Jaysus.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

Now there's one for all those who say we should play more 'home' games outside D4
mmmmm......... it's minty and it's gooooood
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

To honest the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

If there was a repeat of the Leinster - Munster semi-final, it probably would have to go to London alright.

Unless there's another vote at the G.A.A. congress they won't budge on having provincial teams in.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I presume if you'd a season ticket they'd have to pay your airfare.....
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Where in London though?

Depending on the opponent we would need at least a 40,000 capacity stadium. In the middle of the football season too.

Will the Aussie's be finished building Wembley by then? We could open the ground for them. :D
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

As he said, it will be the same problem for Munster and Ulster. So technically if we met Munster gain in a semi, it could be in Cardiff or London!!!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

apple sourz wrote:Now there's one for all those who say we should play more 'home' games outside D4
I sense a smidgin of irony in your words Robbie :lol:

If this season has highlighted one issue around support for Leinster, it's that, despite having the most attractive product on offer in Ireland, large swathes of Leinster rugby people still don't identify with the setup. If we are to rely on ex-SCT Dublin rugby people to provide the support base (and there are enough numerically to do it) we have to expect more scenes like the SF where a small "hardcore" Leinster following was dwarfed by a non-singing, chino-wearing clan along for the day.

The media, ex-Leinster players (Francis, Toland, Mckenna, Brennan) and others continually point to our fragile, ladyboy , O'Carroll Kelly stereotypes. What's our response for the next season? Switch our games to feckin LONDON??????? If the only criteria is to sell tickets for one game, why don't we just change our name to the Leinster Gladiators, buy a franchise in the NFL and start playing American Football based out of a city with more than 20k people of Irish origin?

I know the cash is important for our survival, but not that important we want to move to feckin England
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

jezzer wrote:
apple sourz wrote:Now there's one for all those who say we should play more 'home' games outside D4
I sense a smidgin of irony in your words Robbie :lol:
How right you are Jezzer. And I agree with a lot of your comments. The game of rugby is currently expanding at an amazing rate in Tallaght and Swords of all places. It's a fiercely competitive market wjen it comes to new players and supporters.
mmmmm......... it's minty and it's gooooood
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

On the bright side if we used Twickers the team would be well used to the stadium and pitch in time for the HEC final 2007.
The Final would be a home game for us.(technically :? )
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

Donny Brooke wrote:To honest the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

If there was a repeat of the Leinster - Munster semi-final, it probably would have to go to London alright.

Unless there's another vote at the G.A.A. congress they won't budge on having provincial teams in.
Not true, it was the committe who limited it to international sides and as such could go back on that. Congress said:
Sligo's motion urged that Central Council be "given the power to authorise the renting or leasing of Croke Park for events other than those controlled by the Association, during a period when Lansdowne Football Grounds is closed for the proposed development."

No mention of internationals.
We won just twice
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Jaysus!
Having read Dawsons statement 2 points strike me. Firstly, it seems that they (Leinster Rugby) have given up on the idea of redeveloping Donnybrook if they are hoping to move to the RDS on a permanent basis in 2007 once the RDS has been fitted for floodlights and new pitch. Which I dont have any problem with, considering how successful it was.

But secondly, moving a potential QF to London, FFS...
Not wanting to reopen the GAA / CrokePark debate but really, just how pathetic anyone from another country would find all this. We dont have a stadium in Dublin, the capital city of one of the worlds fastest growing economies that can accomodate more than 10,000 which is not run by an orgainsation which won't let another code play there... this is 2006 right!?!?! The mind boggles!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mauler wrote:Jaysus!
Having read Dawsons statement 2 points strike me. Firstly, it seems that they (Leinster Rugby) have given up on the idea of redeveloping Donnybrook if they are hoping to move to the RDS on a permanent basis in 2007 once the RDS has been fitted for floodlights and new pitch. Which I dont have any problem with, considering how successful it was.

Not wanting to reopen the GAA / CrokePark debate but really, just how pathetic anyone from another country would find all this. We dont have a stadium in Dublin, the capital city of one of the worlds fastest growing economies that can accomodate more than 10,000 which is not run by an orgainsation which won't let another code play there... this is 2006 right!?!?! The mind boggles!
I reckon it's only the opening position in a bargaining game to allow us to use Croke Park.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Duff Paddy wrote:

I reckon it's only the opening position in a bargaining game to allow us to use Croke Park.
Very possible Duff, except the GAA will NEVER allow it to happen. Might have worked if they got their spoke in when Kelly was still around, but Brennan won't have it.... already made his position clear...
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

jezzer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Very possible Duff, except the GAA will NEVER allow it to happen. Might have worked if they got their spoke in when Kelly was still around, but Brennan won't have it.... already made his position clear...
But as I say above, its not a congress issue, so it could happen, once a request is received. Why not Thomond or Ravenhill though?
We won just twice
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

jezzer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Probably true, but it's a good guilt trip - blame the GAA for sending all those thousands of Irishmen over to Britain to line the pockets of the dirty Sasnaigh.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

scotscor wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: I reckon it's only the opening position in a bargaining game to allow us to use Croke Park.
But as I say above, its not a congress issue, so it could happen, once a request is received. Why not Thomond or Ravenhill though?
Great point
I have Bumbleflex
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

scotscor wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: I reckon it's only the opening position in a bargaining game to allow us to use Croke Park.
Once Croke Park is opened it will be open in the eyes of the World. People outside Ireland know all about Croke Park being this big stadium in Dublin but they don't know that other sports can't play there. They think that rugby and soccer happen in LR as that's were they've always been - they don't know that they can't actually use CP. So once it's open and the eyes of the world see matches happening at CP, unless the GAA want to look like selfish fools then they will have little choice but to extend what can be played in Croke Park little by little. I know that it will hurt them and cause them pain but, kicking and screaming they will have to be dragged into the 21st Century to the place that modern Ireland now is, which is a very different Ireland to the one that are trying to protect with their concrete fortress. It will be painful, it will be messy, but it will happen. Of course if it doesn't then thanks to the GAA we'll be watching HEC matches in London, Birmingham or all places East of here.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Uncle Mort wrote:
scotscor wrote:
jezzer wrote: Very possible Duff, except the GAA will NEVER allow it to happen. Might have worked if they got their spoke in when Kelly was still around, but Brennan won't have it.... already made his position clear...
Once Croke Park is opened it will be open in the eyes of the World. People outside Ireland know all about Croke Park being this big stadium in Dublin but they don't know that other sports can't play there. They think that rugby and soccer happen in LR as that's were they've always been - they don't know that they can't actually use CP. So once it's open and the eyes of the world see matches happening at CP, unless the GAA want to look like selfish fools then they will have little choice but to extend what can be played in Croke Park little by little. I know that it will hurt them and cause them pain but, kicking and screaming they will have to be dragged into the 21st Century to the place that modern Ireland now is, which is a very different Ireland to the one that are trying to protect with their concrete fortress. It will be painful, it will be messy, but it will happen. Of course if it doesn't then thanks to the GAA we'll be watching HEC matches in London, Birmingham or all places East of here.
The organisation responsible for Croke Park needs to be dragged into the 21st Century, whilst the organisations responsible for Lansdowne Road don't?
I have Bumbleflex
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Dave Cahill wrote:
scotscor wrote:
jezzer wrote: Very possible Duff, except the GAA will NEVER allow it to happen. Might have worked if they got their spoke in when Kelly was still around, but Brennan won't have it.... already made his position clear...
Great point
Am I missing something here or would Donnybrook still not be the obvious option? :? I realise we wouldn't fit many in but at least it would be home - no matter the commercial viability we should never be playing away from Leinster for a home match. If the redevelopments have clashed like this, the Branch should bite the bullet and take their decreased profits.