Clermont Probaby

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TheSqueeze
Bookworm

Clermont Probaby

Post by TheSqueeze »

That could work out great for the Irish teams. I don't think anyone beats Clermount away. A home quarter final against them is the very winnable..
lordkilmainham
Bookworm

Re: Clermount Probaby

Post by lordkilmainham »

If it is Clermont then it is the worst possible home fixture.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

But a stunning advert for European Rugby. Re-open old wounds - remember Bory on Darcy? :D
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I'm annoyed because we were so slack in the final 20 minutes of that game, not because of the outcome in terms of the QFs. We should be able to beat Clermont at home; they're not great travellers by any means. Their starting back-line is seriously impressive but I'd really fancy our pack over theirs. They also don't offer a huge amount off the bench.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
paddyj
Bookworm

Post by paddyj »

tackle-bag wrote:I'm annoyed because we were so slack in the final 20 minutes of that game, not because of the outcome in terms of the QFs. We should be able to beat Clermont at home; they're not great travellers by any means. Their starting back-line is seriously impressive but I'd really fancy our pack over theirs. They also don't offer a huge amount off the bench.
we were only at half pace today, trying to do just enough and that allowed LI take the initiative; Clermont are a serious team; away to them would have been a disaster of a draw; at home we've a decent chance, but it if they're really up for it, they'll take a lot of beating
munsterleinster
Learner

Post by munsterleinster »

paddyj wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:I'm annoyed because we were so slack in the final 20 minutes of that game, not because of the outcome in terms of the QFs. We should be able to beat Clermont at home; they're not great travellers by any means. Their starting back-line is seriously impressive but I'd really fancy our pack over theirs. They also don't offer a huge amount off the bench.
we were only at half pace today, trying to do just enough and that allowed LI take the initiative; Clermont are a serious team; away to them would have been a disaster of a draw; at home we've a decent chance, but it if they're really up for it, they'll take a lot of beating
Personally I think Leinster would see off Clermont quite easily (That is if Jackman isn't anywhere near a 22 :lol: (He's worse than our Fogarty!!)
THE MAUL IS BACK, LONG LIVE THE MAUL!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

lordkilmainham wrote:If it is Clermont then it is the worst possible home fixture.
Would prefer to get them at home, than have to play them away in the semi, on a throw of the dice.
They are one of the best teams in the competition, better to get them at home.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
lordkilmainham
Bookworm

Post by lordkilmainham »

Oldschool wrote:
lordkilmainham wrote:If it is Clermont then it is the worst possible home fixture.
Would prefer to get them at home, than have to play them away in the semi, on a throw of the dice.
They are one of the best teams in the competition, better to get them at home.
Obviously,you would prefer any team at home! :roll:
Clermont are one of the best teams in the competition,it could be Stade either.
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think what he means is, would you rather get Northampton at home now and Clermont away in the semi, or would you rather get Clermont at home now and eliminate them and get a weaker team home / away in the semi...

It's one way of looking at it I suppose..
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
macca1983
Learner

Post by macca1983 »

As a Munster fan i would hate to to have Clermont - even at home. They were the team i wanted to avoid most. Bit hard to be making predictions regarding results ten weeks out - who knows how things will work with injuries.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

Calm down folks. I had a look at Clermont's away form this season in the French championnat: 5 losses, 2 draws, 3 wins (one against a weak team, Albi). Just one away game in the pool series - against Viadana. Not exactly intimidating. We have a home QF for he first time ever. Play like we did against any team another than LI this season and we should be just fine. There was general melancholia after the away game against Castres last year; the rest, as they say, is history.
Last edited by Icarus on January 24th, 2010, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

If we have serious aspirations of retaining this Cup I don't think it matters who we get. To win the Cup we'll have to beat the best, so be that Clermont, who cares? We'll be at home and we can take any side at home
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

thecoolfreak wrote:If we have serious aspirations of retaining this Cup I don't think it matters who we get. To win the Cup we'll have to beat the best, so be that Clermont, who cares? We'll be at home and we can take any side at home
Pretty much. Stll dissapointed - tonight we should have seen off that game. Yeah sure the Munster lads are slagging off Jackman (instead of looking at the 7th placed team who nearly did a job on them last night) but SERIOUSLY - NOTHING I WON THIS TIME OF YEAR.

1 thing I find interesting - only 1 English team in the quarters right now.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

They have never been champions of France.
Clermont
Knowledgeable

Post by Clermont »

Agreed, it absolutely is. As per my Avatar I'm a big Clermont fan. Granted a home Quarter Final is something we've wanted & worked towards for a long time, but of all the French teams, Clermont are the one team we'd ideally have avoided.

HOWEVER, their record away from home is questionable -Hairsprays beat them in one of the early rounds 25-24 (can't remember whether it was round one or two). And I'm glad to say that over the last few years, we've built the RDS into a venue that foreign teams don't want to visit. We've no reason to be afraid of any team in the H Cup and this Q Final will be, on paper, an all time classic.
Victor Costello – Callsign “Burger” – Turns In His Wings: One Of You Two Jokers Is Going To Top Gun, The Other Is Flying Rubber Dogshit Out of Hong Kong
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME, MR. JOE SCHMIDT
The Pride Of Ireland
Knowledgeable

Post by The Pride Of Ireland »

I'd rather have a tough french team at home in the Quarters than have them in a neutral venue in the semis. I honestly think Leinster can beat CA at home, plus I'd rather have them than say the Ospreys. If we had a weak team at home in the quarters we'd piss all over them and probably peak too early
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Well I certainly wouldn't call the Ospreys weak, eliminating Leicester, but I get what you're saying and agree.

We had a horrible draw for the cup last year, away to Quins, "away" to Munster and Leicester in the final, but I think tight games keep you battle hardened, and we probably peaked v Munster, but had enough left in the tank to see off Leicester...before that semi in Croke park, I would have said Munster were the most complete package I'd seen in European Rugby, but they went off the boil and are only now coming back to old form, so a tough draw and tough games stand to you in the end...plus it's at home, and there isn't a team in Europe we should have any fear of in the RDS, it's a fortress now and nobody has ever won there twice, and that doesn't look like changing any time soon, and I think we can (and have - Leicester, Wasps, Munster, Tolouse etc.) take anybody there.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Why is everyone presuming Clermont? OK Toulouse will prob beat Sale away, but Biarritz need a bonus point win at home AS WELL, or else we have Stade.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

[Jackass] wrote:I think what he means is, would you rather get Northampton at home now and Clermont away in the semi, or would you rather get Clermont at home now and eliminate them and get a weaker team home / away in the semi...

It's one way of looking at it I suppose..
Thanks for explaining that - I thought I'd just got another new member joining my fan club.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.