Leinster Green Flag on the Terrace

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Green Flag on the Terrace

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
IanD wrote:Not sure if the guy with the Green Leinster Harp flag posts here so if know and you know him please pass on my comments.

A personal request as it were. I ask that you do not bring this flag to the terrace again. For the last couple of games people keep asking me why is there a Connacht fan flying a flag on the terrace. I know the history of this particular flag from reading about it here but the general populace dont seem to understand it. If they dont get it how will Leinster players from overseas understand it.

I also think it is a bit disrespectful to Leinster Rugby staff, the OLSC and the people who volunteer to hand out Blue Flags and put up banners etc in an attempt to make the RDS Blue to have a green flag in the middle of the terrace. At the end of the day we sing about the Boys in Blue and dont really mention green.

I am not trying to step on any toes here. Just my 2c.
Cheers Ian
Another philistine - Never be too quick to dump tradition or history symbolism.
Ironic Avatar Oldschool!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Looking at the Cleremont fans they nearly all had bright yellow on. Alot of their stuff was Blue and Yellow and I saw a few (canterbury) polo shirts in navy with blue piping and and gold band on the sleve, the clemont logo on the chest across from the CCC logo, thing is I already have one of these -identical in all but the Leinster logo on the chest.

After black sunday, a fair few people were calling for us to use either brighter blue or alot more yellow. I guess the canterbury designers/marketing team reckoned they would sell more if they offered the Leinster branch the darker colours designs. So who really steers things like this, what happens if some marketing hotshot reckons SF pink is the way to go, do we go along with it and forget our past.

Non leinster people hate Allez Les Bleu but it reminds us of the days like the QF in Toulouse. its part of our journey to where we are now
BTW Leinster Rugby is Leinster the province. Leinster rugby represents the rugby clubs, 12 counties and all Leinster people - thats why its such an honour for a player for their province
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
SCG
Bookworm

Post by SCG »

Appropo nothing very much - I remember a Dublin v Cork charity match in Donnybrook many years ago. Dublin (which may have been an unofficial Leinster development team - no subs in those days) played in green!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ye should all use flags like the 1 in my avatar, real old school and perfect colours
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

munster#1 wrote:ye should all use flags like the 1 in my avatar, real old school and perfect colours
Nice try, dude...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

honeyec wrote:
munster#1 wrote:ye should all use flags like the 1 in my avatar, real old school and perfect colours
Nice try, dude...
would be interesting to show up and try sell them, if some of the leinster fans don't know the old leinster flag, i'd say it would be safe to say a few wouldn't know that flag. try take leinster down from the inside :D
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

munster#1 wrote:
honeyec wrote:
Nice try, dude...
would be interesting to show up and try sell them, if some of the leinster fans don't know the old leinster flag, i'd say it would be safe to say a few wouldn't know that flag. try take leinster down from the inside :D
You do realise this is a Leinster forum don't you?! :wink:
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

T.C.B. wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
honeyec wrote: Nice try, dude...
You do realise this is a Leinster forum don't you?! :wink:
damn, i can't believe i made that mistake again, thanks for pointing it out. :wink:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

no offence ian as i know you are just giving feedback, but this is possibly one of the most pathetic threads ever on this forum. Doesnt quite beat the "humbled" thread from after the clermont game or the "genuine lf only" thread, but it is certainly in the bottom ten.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Wave on Green Flag Man... WAVE ON!!! Who amongst us can say we are both supporter and educator. You have supported your team and made your fellow Leinsterites aware of their history. You are a true original. Like all pioneers at first you must beat a lonely trial before the general populace, astonished by your swashbuckling daring-do, accept you for the erudite and historically accurate superfan that you are.

Bravo Green Flag Man... BRAVO!!!

If you need a Robin-esque side kick to go with your Batmanic superfan alter ego, I am available. :D
#ScrapTheLions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

tate wrote:no offence ian as i know you are just giving feedback, but this is possibly one of the most pathetic threads ever on this forum. Doesnt quite beat the "humbled" thread from after the clermont game or the "genuine lf only" thread, but it is certainly in the bottom ten.
It's a thread about flags, what did people expect. It's nowhere close to the Catholic Church thread.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

ronk wrote:
tate wrote:no offence ian as i know you are just giving feedback, but this is possibly one of the most pathetic threads ever on this forum. Doesnt quite beat the "humbled" thread from after the clermont game or the "genuine lf only" thread, but it is certainly in the bottom ten.
It's a thread about flags, what did people expect. It's nowhere close to the Catholic Church thread.
exactly, in a week with two games and a week and a half away from a HC semi-final, we have three pages about flags.

Anyone who posts in a religion thread knows what they're getting into, besides it's in general chat so fair game as far as im concerned
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:
Hey!! You leave he Catholic Church thread alone, you biggottttt :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

If it's that bad, (and I'm not arguing either way) don't read it, and especially don't post in it. You are only making it longer. Just ignore it. (like I wish I had ignored any religious ones I ever posted on, up to and including 5 minutes ago :oops: )
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

johng wrote:
If it's that bad, (and I'm not arguing either way) don't read it, and especially don't post in it. You are only making it longer. Just ignore it. (like I wish I had ignored any religious ones I ever posted on, up to and including 5 minutes ago :oops: )
just offering my opinion dawg
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tate wrote:
johng wrote:
just offering my opinion dawg
Fair enough boss. Likewise
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

there's plenty of pubs who fly these flags around dublin, and DCC always have them up about the place.
sure beats having a flag with a giant BoI logo on it.

as for bank of scotland jerseys, at least its not the esat digifone version
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

gfo wrote:there's plenty of pubs who fly these flags around dublin, and DCC always have them up about the place.
sure beats having a flag with a giant BoI logo on it.

as for bank of scotland jerseys, at least its not the esat digifone version
Gone but not forgotten by the fans on the terrace: "Esat! Esat! Esat!" :D
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I believe that is a chant for the famous Wicklow Raparee of the 17th Century "Esat O'Nacewa of Tinahealy. A true Leinster Hero!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:I believe that is a chant for the famous Wicklow Raparee of the 17th Century "Esat O'Nacewa of Tinahealy. A true Leinster Hero!!!
I stand corrected sir! :wink: