Girve Retires

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

dipper
Knowledgeable

Re: Girve Retires

Post by dipper »

I knew it was probably coming but it's a surprise all the same. Pure legend for both Leinster and Ireland. Will never forget his tries against England in particular. It will be strange to see a Leinster squad with no Girvan Dempsey. :(
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Legend - I had hoped for one more year but such is life.

Thanks for everything Girve and best of luck with wherever your life takes you!

On the plus side - maybe he'll let Mrs D come back on the site now :D
Summer is ready when you are

rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

Gutted! Thought he might have another season in him. A true legend of the game for both Leinster and Ireland and a genuine nice guy to boot. Hopefully he'll sign off with a league medal and a hatrick to boot.
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Aside from the guy being an incredible servant to Leinster and Ireland for well over a decade, he is actually going to leave a significant Girve sized hole in the squad. He had about 10 starts this season for Leinster, it's invaluable to have a guy like him to call on when other guys are off with the national team/injured/whatever. Will be missed, for any number of reasons.

Legend.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Shall miss the swerve! Good luck for the future Girve.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Daithí Mac
Knowledgeable

Post by Daithí Mac »

The epitome of all that is good about Leinster Rugby. Although he often didn't get the credit he deserved for his attacking prowess, he had a unique manner of controlling a game from full back. Always able to create the overlap and rarely turned over on odd occasion where he got isolated, he was for me the perfect full back. A rock in the tackle and incomparable under the high ball he shall be missed. Thank you Girvan and the best of luck in the future, I hope to see you in the rugby industry again.
Vayan los azules!!
stuwilson
Bookworm

Post by stuwilson »

An absolute legend, will be missed, his calming and intelligent presence and play sometimes sorely underestimated!! Good article in todays times (6th May) on his retirement!
Woody01
Bookworm

Post by Woody01 »

Amazing player to watch throughout all his years with Ireland and Leinster! Best full back for what seemed like effortless positioning in every game. Lots of memories of him throughout the years and will be missed. Good luck with all for your future.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Best of luck and thanks for all the memories Girvan! A Leinster Legend. :happy clapper:
Dont Panic!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

He Came, He Saw, He Played, He Conquered!! All Hail Girve The Swirve!! Thanks for your genuine loyalty and effort to the Leinster & Irish teams :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Nice piece with GT in the Times.

GIRVAN DEMPSEY INTERVIEW: GIRVAN DEMPSEY’S decision to retire from professional rugby at the end of the season will mark the culmination of an outstanding sporting career. Celebrated as a player, his qualities as a person will not be overlooked by those who played with and against him. Modest and articulate, he brought quiet, unfussy footballing intelligence to the pitch.

His career might be defined by his ability to swallow whole towering garryowens without a hiccup but with a strike-rate of just over one try every four matches for Leinster and Ireland it would be churlish to ignore those scoring exploits. Arguably his greatest playing quality was his positional sense, honed by countless hours of video analysis deciphering the facial tics and body language “tells” of hundreds of outhalves: very few found the corners on any pitch upon which he played.

The 34-year-old made his decision in a typically mature, thoughtful manner, consulting with wife Anne-Marie, family and taking into consideration possibly a desire to see a little more of his nine-month-old son, Peter.

He admitted: “It certainly was a tough decision and something I took my time over. I really felt that the end of this season was the right time to retire and move on to something else. It got to the stage where I am very happy with everything I have achieved in rugby and there are a lot of very young and exciting players coming up at Leinster and it is time for them to step up and take over the positions.”

The irony is that his appetite for the sport remains strong and that is why the next few weeks will be important to him, although he won’t personalise issues ahead of the team ethic.

“I felt this year was the year for Leinster. We had high ambitions to try and win a double and, unfortunately at the weekend, we came up against a Toulouse side that was very strong on the day.

“We now have a case of our destiny being in our own hands with this game against Edinburgh on Sunday in order to achieve that home semi-final in the Magners League. Everyone is still very driven and focused to try and win some silverware.”

The consensus in advice terms is to not rush into anything, take time out, and first embark on a family holiday during which he will consider a number of options that might incorporate his degree in business studies or one or two coaching avenues.

“I have been very fortunate to be involved with Leinster rugby for a long time. I started in 1996 and got my first cap for Ireland in 1998. I feel I have achieved nearly everything that I wanted to achieve in rugby and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I feel very honoured and privileged to be involved with some outstanding players on both fronts, won some great games and managed to get some silverware along the way.

“People said I was well capable of playing on longer but I just felt it was time for me. When you have a nine-month-old baby your perspective sort of changes: I’m not leaving the game with any serious injuries. I will still be able to run around at the weekend and enjoy life.”

Listening to the warm tributes paid to Dempsey by Shane Horgan and Alan Gaffney, snapshots from on and off the pitch, offer an inkling of how he will be missed. But what were Dempsey’s favourites? Try? “On the international front the day Ireland went over to Twickenham back in 2004 when we were supposedly on a hiding to nothing.

“England were world champions and nobody gave us a chance. We put in a massive performance and I was very fortunate to be on the end of a fantastic team effort in order to get a try in the corner. That will certainly be my favourite and will live long in the memory.

“As an occasion, that day in Croke Park in 2007 when England came to town, the build-up all week that went with the game. I was very proud of the way the Ireland team performed that day. We performed massively well and put on a big score. It was a fantastic day and a very emotional day.

“In terms of the best player I have played with, Brian O’Driscoll. It has been an absolute honour to have been on the pitch alongside him on many occasions: to see his drive and his ability as a rugby player, his skill levels, his leadership qualities, not in the sense of being vocal or shouting in a changing room but in his quiet words and his actions.

“His performance in last year’s Grand Slam was second to none. I thought it was incredible.”

For Dempsey, though, there is still some unfinished business. Now all Leinster have to do is provide him with the finale he deserves.

Girvan Dempsey

Club: Terenure College

Position: Fullback

Leinster Caps: 174

Leinster points: 32 tries, 8 penalties, 4 conversions, 1 drop goal

Ireland caps: 82

Ireland points: 95 (19 tries)

Ireland A cap: 1

Ireland Under-21 caps: 5

Leinster Under-21 caps: 8
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

RoboProp wrote:I'd only adjusted to losing Felipe. Great servant, will be sorely missed.
Keep adjusting, Birch and Mal are also gone at the end of this season...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
IMC
Bookworm

Post by IMC »

Girvan is a true Leinster and Ireland legend and I have to say one of the nicest blokes you can meet, a real gent!

Thanks for so many great memories

Enjoy the new found freedom and seeing more of the little man and 'er indoors!
Youth and Talent has nothing on Age and Treachery
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Ledgebag.

"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

honeyec wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I'd only adjusted to losing Felipe. Great servant, will be sorely missed.
Knew about Birch - is Mal confimed?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Knew about Birch - is Mal confimed?
Remember reading something after last season that he was going to give one more year... he could change his mind I suppose but I'd say its a safe bet that he'll go.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

So long Girve and best of luck with your onward path! Thanks for many, many legendary memories, and for being the epitome of genuine, professional sportsmanship. A dying breed, perhaps.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
mrsd
Learner

Post by mrsd »

Hi All,
Girv asked me to pass on his thanks for all your good wishes and support now and over the last number of years. Your comments yesterday and today have put a huge smile on his face, he's got such a kick out of reading them all! As for me, well I will admit to shedding a tear reading your kind words. The Leinster fans have been very good to Girv during his career and it is really appreciated... Always so nice to know that the fans were supportive of Girv.
Onwards and upwards for Leinster.. As for me, well I'm looking forward to some well earned family time!
Thanks all and keep up the good work, Leinster needs you!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

honeyec wrote:
Not the Tower too, say it ain't so!
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

mrsd wrote:Hi All,
Girv asked me to pass on his thanks for all your good wishes and support now and over the last number of years. Your comments yesterday and today have put a huge smile on his face, he's got such a kick out of reading them all! As for me, well I will admit to shedding a tear reading your kind words. The Leinster fans have been very good to Girv during his career and it is really appreciated... Always so nice to know that the fans were supportive of Girv.
Onwards and upwards for Leinster.. As for me, well I'm looking forward to some well earned family time!
Thanks all and keep up the good work, Leinster needs you!!

:happy clapper:

The amount Girv has given to Leinster and Irish Rugby goes beyond 175 and 82 games (or whatever it is)...I really hope he stays involved in the game and passes on his exceedingly extensive rugby knowledge to the players of tomorrow.

Meas Mór do Girvan!