Munster Game Moved to Lansdowne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

totalrandomer
Graduate

Re: Munster Game Moved to Lansdowne

Post by totalrandomer »

Donny B. wrote:HF, have you been brainwashed by the cult of the Aviva too?

The view behind the goals is the last place most people want at the rugby match. Go to any club match and you'll find the majority of people around the halfway line rather than behind the goals. Why? Well you've a better view of the action.

But the new and wonderful Aviva has somehow transformed physics and it doesn't matter cause it's great? Give me a break!

In the old days when they moved to games to Lansdowne you basically had the same viewpoint as you did in Donnybrook. Here they're changing your viewpoint and dumping you behind the goals.

Personally I would have preferred somewhere near the twenty two, something akin to where we watch the games on the terrace. Now you want me to pay extra if I want this? I thought a season ticket was meant to cover me for all home games no?

They still could have kept the terrace together and given them better seats but as they figure the terrace people pay the least then f**k them, chuck them in behind the goals.
Have you even been there?
I was up the back of the upper stand right on the goal line. View was great. I bought my tickets the minute they came out through the IRSC. (I told a mate of mine the week of the game and he got the 22 in the premium section for the same 10er)

Unlike Croker, the view is great from here (And possibly everywhere) due to the steepness of the stand. It means that the people in front of you are at your knees and won't get in the way. It also means that you are physically nearer to the pitch.

On a small side point. There will be loads of extra tickets for this game available to STHs (Even those unwashed terrace dwelling rabble) If you fancy a ticket anywhere in the ground you can probably get one and punt your own handy.

The game will sell out, and STHs will have about 5 days to buy before they go on general sale.

Don't dare say that you want to sit with all your mates, so that's not an option, or I'll have to come over there and burst you :)

PS this has taken me about an hour to write as I am busy in work and I realise the discussion may have moved on in the meantime.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

If you pay €500 or €650 for your ticket then you should get the best seats in the house in Lansdowne, no arguments there. But why is what you pay for your ST relevant to where the terrace STHs get placed?
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Dave Cahill wrote:
macboomba wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Not getting into the issue of NS vs elsewhere as I haven't watched a game in the NS in the aviva so I can't really comment on what its like to do so, so I'm going to wait and see what its like first....

but....

That assumes that everybody who purchased terrace STs did so on the basis of cost. I know I certainly didn't. I went for the terrace because of location, atmosphere, because its a terrace (so I can stand which I far prefer to sitting), the absence of children and the ability to watch each match in the company of my friends, for whom cost was also not the prime deciding factor AFAIK.
If cost is not the deciding factor for you Dave then put your ticket on the ticket exchange and treat yourself and your mates in the same boat to what ever ticket you would really like in Lansdowne.

I don't think you read what I actually wrote.
I read what you wrote Dave. You went for the terrace because of location, atmosphere, standing, no children and proximity of friends. You will get most of these things in the North stand with the rest of the Terrace dwellers. If that is not to your satisfaction then you and your friends can choose to purchase any other section of the ground by paying more (which is not the prime deciding factor anyway).
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

How can I wait and see what its like then? My initial point was that I would prefer to do so before making a judgement on the location. My second point was on the motivating factors behind ticket purchase
I have Bumbleflex
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

In fairness to DC he was also saying he was happy with the NS and would reserve judgement on the view until having actually experienced it.

EDIT - he can defend himself AND faster than I can!
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Danthefan wrote:If you pay €500 or €650 for your ticket then you should get the best seats in the house in Lansdowne, no arguments there. But why is what you pay for your ST relevant to where the terrace STHs get placed?

Why is it relevant so for those that pay €500 or €650 - but not those that paid €210
Last edited by Slipper1 on August 17th, 2010, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get in the f%~king bag.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Danthefan wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:Maybe you would. Having sat in both I'd take the North Stand in a heart beat.
I haven't sat in both areas in the new Lansdowne I will admit but having been in the equivalent in Croke Park (in The Hill and down the other end) and the old Lansdowne, I would not prefer to be behind the goals. I'm struggling to imagine how Lansdowne will be different now.
Lansdowne and Croker (In Rugby terms) are incredibly different.

The furthest corner of the South stand is closer to the pitch than any part of the upper stand in Croker.

Wait till you have been. You will see. Granted the capacity is too small. But in all other respects it is far superior (for Rugby)
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Slipper1 wrote:
Danthefan wrote:If you pay €500 or €650 for your ticket then you should get the best seats in the house in Lansdowne, no arguments there. But why is what you pay for your ST relevant to where the terrace STHs get placed?

Why is it relevant for those that pay €500 or €650 - but not those that paid €210
I don't really get what you mean tbh. I don't want a better seat than anyone who has paid more than me for their ST.

totalrandomer wrote: Lansdowne and Croker (In Rugby terms) are incredibly different.

The furthest corner of the South stand is closer to the pitch than any part of the upper stand in Croker.

Wait till you have been. You will see. Granted the capacity is too small. But in all other respects it is far superior (for Rugby)
So if I got a seat in the upper tier on the 22 in Lansdowne it would be much better than the seat I had in the upper tier on the 22 in Croker? Sweet, sign me up.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

I am south stand STH and I got block 133 which is north atand Aviva...so obviously not all seaon ticket holders from same area put in same place
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Donny B. wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Where did I say everyone shares my views on this?
Donny B. wrote: The view behind the goals is the last place most people want at the rugby match.
I obviously meant the issue we're discussing re the Aviva.

Forget about the Aviva, HF, just go to any normal rugby match (club, junior, schools....whatever).

Then count how many people are watching it from behind the posts.

Then count how many people are watching from nearer the halfway line.

Do this over a range of matches and you will see a pattern emerge that most people prefer to watch a match from the halfway line. Hence the premium paid by people who want this view.

Q.E.D.

But then this completely ignores the fact that the best craic in the RDS is all on the North Stand. Although having not been in the new Lansdowne, I'm not going to stick my oar in.
unwashedterracescum

Post by unwashedterracescum »

I dont think anyone would argue that Terrace STH's should be given premium seats. I'm in the Anglesa Tce at the Anglesea Rd End & have been stuck in block 135 in the North Stand. My issue is with blow in fans who may only attend one or two games a season or perish the thought.....MUNSTER FANS being in better seats than I am! I think Terrace STH's have been stuck in these rinky dink stands as no one will buy these seats if they have the choice! Both me and my dad have been in touch with Leinster rugby and have been essentially told 'if you dont like it....lump it'. A poor way to treat loyal fans in my opinion; if the game were in the RDS the view is not perfect but at least we can get our customary spots at the hedge and have some sort of angle; but as we've not been allocated our exact seats yet then we might be right on the pitch, which means we might be watching the whole match on Tyrannovision!
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I see the Clermont game has been confirmed for the Aviva in December.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Alternative Ulster on August 16th, 2010, 10:51 am wrote:
Exile wrote:I think Leinster should also play Ulster at Lansdowne. They filled the old stadium for the last game there.
They only filled it because it was the last ever game there.

This year the fixture is in the middle of the knockout stages of the HC. A time when people traditionally go to Magners games in smaller numbers.

I would say Clermont will be the only other game there. With the possible exception of Saracens in HC round 5 in January. Depending on what is at stake then.
I bleedin told yez!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Amz wrote:I see the Clermont game has been confirmed for the Aviva in December.

Bad decision. This game will NOT sell out and i'd be willing to bet Clermont will take no more than 200-300 fans over. I'd be surprised if we got 23K through the doors.
3 Gold Stars
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Bad decision. This game will NOT sell out and i'd be willing to bet Clermont will take no more than 200-300 fans over. I'd be surprised if we got 23K through the doors.
unless they're selling it as a 2 game package:

"LEINSTER RUGBY ARE DELIGHTED to announce details of an exciting double-header in the Aviva Stadium against Munster in the Magners League on Saturday, 2nd October (KO: 7.30pm) and Clermont Auvergne in the Heineken Cup on Saturday, 18th December (KO: 5.45pm)."
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

deco wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

unless they're selling it as a 2 game package:

"LEINSTER RUGBY ARE DELIGHTED to announce details of an exciting double-header in the Aviva Stadium against Munster in the Magners League on Saturday, 2nd October (KO: 7.30pm) and Clermont Auvergne in the Heineken Cup on Saturday, 18th December (KO: 5.45pm)."
Not a 2 game package.

Oh ye of little faith SB. I reckon 50000 bods (or close) will fancy a rare bit of HC action v the French champs. Bear in mind we have 4 months to flog tickets.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

After the QF? They'll bring a lot more than that over I reckon.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

simplythebest wrote:First of all, I can assure you that there was no attempt at wumming. I just feel passionately that we should not give away our home advantage. And if the Leinster fans don't make a conscious effort at taking up the allocations, we might as well move the fixture to Thomond Park.
Have to say I agreed fully with your comment. :green clap:

I wonder will Munster decide that they should also play their home game against Leinster in the national stadium........ I don't think so!!!! yet we decide to give up our home advantage..... it just doesn't make sense, unless it's all about money!

One wonders if this was really Leinsters decision or is it a bit of a fund-raiser to pay for the ground. I could see Leinster being used in a similar fashion to th eway the GAA use the Dubs.... remember who played in the 1st game in Croker under floodlights on a very cold February night? Dublin. Who did they roll out to play a game to mark the 125 anniversary of the GAA? Dublin again.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

totalrandomer wrote: Oh ye of little faith SB. I reckon 50000 bods (or close) will fancy a rare bit of HC action v the French champs. Bear in mind we have 4 months to flog tickets.

Dont get me wrong I hope we do fill it out, just can't see it tbh.
3 Gold Stars
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

BlueWheels wrote:
simplythebest wrote:First of all, I can assure you that there was no attempt at wumming. I just feel passionately that we should not give away our home advantage. And if the Leinster fans don't make a conscious effort at taking up the allocations, we might as well move the fixture to Thomond Park.
Have to say I agreed fully with your comment. :green clap:

I wonder will Munster decide that they should also play their home game against Leinster in the national stadium........ I don't think so!!!! yet we decide to give up our home advantage..... it just doesn't make sense, unless it's all about money!

One wonders if this was really Leinsters decision or is it a bit of a fund-raiser to pay for the ground. I could see Leinster being used in a similar fashion to th eway the GAA use the Dubs.... remember who played in the 1st game in Croker under floodlights on a very cold February night? Dublin. Who did they roll out to play a game to mark the 125 anniversary of the GAA? Dublin again.
it looks very much like money is the driving factor in this decision. i can see why the munster game is being moved as it is only a ML game, but all group HC games should be held in a clubs home ground to keep home advantage. this move may cost leinster more money than they would make if moving this game costs them a place in the knock out stages
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.