Glasgow v Leinster Thread ***All Posts Here***

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Glasgow v Leinster Thread ***All Posts Here***

Post by Donny B. »

slum wrote:i reckon given how well they know each other schmidt might give nacewa a go at outhalf again. I'm all for it (as backup for sexton of course). I know it didn't work very well at the start of his tenure, but the nature of the game has changed a fair bit; and in fairness to nacewa he got great height on his garryowens...
If it's the Isa at outhalf that played against Edinburgh last season then great!!

TBH I don't fancy Madigan at out-half at all.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jason Harris-Wright
Stewart Maguire
Paul Ryan
Michael Keating
Eoin Sheriff
Devin Toner
David Kearney
Ian McKinley

Were dropped from the Leicester squad. The 1st 4 for other players returning. Sheriff is behind the rest of the locks in the pecking order, and it looked like Toner got a knock.

Dave Kearney though????

I can see Mckinley losing a bench spot to Madigan because of his versatility. Meaning Isa at 10. I will be shocked if he does not start there.

(In fairness there were more than 23 in the squad at Leicester too)
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Donny B. wrote:If it's the Isa at outhalf that played against Edinburgh last season then great!!
That was very nearly two years ago!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Leinster Zulu wrote:
Donny B. wrote:If it's the Isa at outhalf that played against Edinburgh last season then great!!
End of last season LZ.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Danthefan wrote:
Leinster Zulu wrote:
End of last season LZ.
He kicked 7 out of 7, and kicked well out of hand. (Which was always the big problem people had with him at OH)
With the new law emphasis there will be less kicking out of hand anyway.

http://www.magnersleague.com/matchcentre/5214.php
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinster Zulu wrote:
Dan and John are correct, 'last season' was the clue! :D :wink:

Up to that game I had no confidence in him as a ten, but he was superb that day.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Leinster team to face the Glasgow Warriors in Friday night's Magners League opener at Firhill Stadium (KO: 7.05pm) has been named...
7Share

Only surprise is to see Heaslip start & Morris on the wing.
Boss starts :cry:

LEINSTER:

15: Luke Fitzgerald
14: Shane Horgan
13: Eoin O’Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Niall Morris
10: Isa Nacewa
9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Simon Shawe
4: Nathan Hines
5: Ed O’Donoghue
6: Dominic Ryan
7: Sean O’Brien CAPTAIN
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: John Fogarty
17: Jack McGrath
18: Ben Prescott
19: Mariano Galarza
20: Stephen Keogh
21: Paul O’Donohoe
22: Ian Madigan
23: Eamonn Sheridan

GLASGOW WARRIORS:

15: Bernardo Stortoni CAPTAIN
14: DTH van der Merwe
13: Max Evans
12: Graeme Morrison
11: Federico Aramburu
10: Ruaridh Jackson
9: Henry Pyrgos

1: Jon Welsh
2: Fergus Thomson
3: Moray Low
4: Tom Ryder
5: Richie Gray
6: Ryan Wilson
7: Chris Fusaro
8: Richie Vernon

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Pat MacArthur
17: Ed Kalman
18: Ryan Grant
19: Aly Muldowney
20: Rob Harley
21: Duncan Weir
22: Hefin O'Hare
23: Peter Murchie
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Anyone know where's Andrew Conway...I seriously have reservations about Niall Morris...his 2nd half in the Brook against Wasps did nothing to fill me with confidence either
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Actually glad to see Heaslip there. We're a much better team with him.

Interesting to see O'Brien is captain in the absence of Leo and Jennings even with Jamie playing...
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Leoslovechild wrote:Anyone know where's Andrew Conway...I seriously have reservations about Niall Morris...his 2nd half in the Brook against Wasps did nothing to fill me with confidence either
U20 RWC, still rested it seems.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Few weak areas in our side. Back lines are even enough, Glasgow probably shade it. We should have the edge in the back row, they've the edge in the front row I feel. Whoever is in better shape and turns up on the night can win this one. We'll need our 8, 9, 10 axis to have a big game to get something out of this.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The 2 things that stand out for me are: Niall Morris ahead of Dave Kearney. (Maybe even Michael Keating) And Simon Shawe ahead of Ben Prescott.
Ross obviously did not make it back to fitness, but if Prescott is less fit than Shawe we are fcuked.
Unless they are putting Shawe in 1st to see how long he lasts.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

johng wrote:The 2 things that stand out for me are: Niall Morris ahead of Dave Kearney. (Maybe even Michael Keating) And Simon Shawe ahead of Ben Prescott.
Ross obviously did not make it back to fitness, but if Prescott is less fit than Shawe we are fcuked.
Well we already knew that we're farked in the front row, so its only really Morris that surprises me.

What is exciting though, is Nacewa at ten, clearly we're going to be running it from everywhere. Will be good to see what Ferg can do with a bit of possession, can he get Fitz and Shaggy in to the game?

We should really be looking to get something out of this game, a losing bp (or two!?), or a win. Looking forward to it, roll on Firhill tomorrow!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:The 2 things that stand out for me are: Niall Morris ahead of Dave Kearney. (Maybe even Michael Keating) And Simon Shawe ahead of Ben Prescott.
You were at the Leicester match weren't you? I'm told he was aerobically unfit, fair enough, but IIRC we coughed up a penalty try from a scrum and another try from a mullered scrum when Shawe was on and that it was better in the second half.

Is that true? Was he that far out of his depth?
Sportsnewsireland

Post by Sportsnewsireland »

First post
Great forum guys , Have had a good look around and well done to everyone especially the mods

Looks like it will be very tight this week , Glasgow are missing a number of players which will even things up .

Below is a few audio clips on this weeks match and player injuries etc etc
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/0 ... ff-7-05pm/
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:
You were at the Leicester match weren't you? I'm told he was aerobically unfit, fair enough, but IIRC we coughed up a penalty try from a scrum and another try from a mullered scrum when Shawe was on and that it was better in the second half.

Is that true? Was he that far out of his depth?
Stewart Maguire was better when he came on (About 50 mins I think) But we were still getting mullered.

No shame in that really. Castro and Ayerza for the first half and Stankovitch and Cole for the 2nd. Most props would have been mullered. Springbok midweek team was lashed out of it, and most GP teams were last year.

I was a bit shocked to see Shawe on the ground in bits after each scrum. Starting from the very 1st one on. My (not that expert) reading of it was that he was clever enough in the scrum, but had no level of fitness at all.
Had we played one of the younger guys the opposite might have been true.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Morriss at 11 is the strange one on that teamsheet for me. Must be doing good stuff in training. Had Ross been fit, I'd have been fairly confident of getting a win, (his ability to lock out a scrum thereby giving Jamie a great platform to run off), without him I'm not so sure.

The back row does look very good though. Still, can't wait for tomorrow night!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Danthefan wrote:
Leoslovechild wrote:Anyone know where's Andrew Conway...I seriously have reservations about Niall Morris...his 2nd half in the Brook against Wasps did nothing to fill me with confidence either
Dominic Ryan at the Junior World Cup too though. Wonder why he's allowed play but Conway and Rhys Ruddock aren't. Perhaps they're carrying knocks?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Donny B. wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
Dominic Ryan at the Junior World Cup too though. Wonder why he's allowed play but Conway and Rhys Ruddock aren't. Perhaps they're carrying knocks?
I wonder if Kidney sees those two being involved with Ireland and therefore wants them to complete the 8 week conditioning programme so as to bulk up a bit.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
I think they both started all games but he didn't (Same for Stewart Maguire who played v Leicester)
Ruddock also played in 2 games in the senior tour.
But as I am too lazy/busy to look it up I could be wrong.