Edinburgh v Leinster Thread

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Edinburgh v Leinster Thread

Post by Donny B. »

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday evening and the Leinster management reported no new injury worries ahead of Friday night's Magners League clash against Edinburgh in Murrayfield (KO: 7.05pm)...

Jonathan Sexton and Devin Toner stepped up their rehabilitation this week and a decision on their fitness will be made at Thursday’s team announcement as both bid to make their seasonal competitive debuts.

Leo Cullen is progressing well from shoulder surgery and though he won’t be available this week, it is hoped that he will return to action over the coming weeks.

Rob Kearney, meanwhile, made his 99th Leinster appearance away in Italy last weekend.

Would be great to have Toner back for the lineout. Vital to get Jonny back too.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Edinburgh v Leinster Thread

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

A win or bust....
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:A win or bust....
Get a grip!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:
Leo Cullen is progressing well from shoulder surgery and though he won’t be available this week, it is hoped that he will return to action over the coming weeks.
Seems like Leo is well ahead of schedule. The games against Racing and Saracens are probably a bit soon for him but encouraging news nonetheless :D
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

sheepshagger wrote:
Get a grip!
In the context of the ML it's very important we win this game imo.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

If we're going to Edinburgh saying win or bust.......

A repeat of last year without the heart attack will do me!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Edinburgh Team Named:
15 Chris Paterson 14 Mark Robertson 13 Ben Cairns 12 Alex Grove 11 Tim Visser 10 Phil Godman 9 Mike Blair 1 Allan Jacobsen 2 Ross Ford 3 Geoff Cross 4 Esteban Lozada 5 Scott MacLeod 6 Scott Newlands 8 Roddy Grant captain 7 Ross Rennie Substitutes 16 Andrew Kelly 17 Kyle Traynor 18 Jack Gilding 19 Craig Hamilton 20 Alan MacDonald or David Denton
21 Greig Laidlaw 22 David Blair 23 John Houston

Same backline that played against Ulster. Three changes in the pack. You would hope that we will put in a good performance and have enough to win.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wow! That must be the earliest I've ever seen a team named for the weekend (not including internationals of course)

Good to see Lozada fit. They don't seem to be missing too many players so it's a bit of a wonder why they've started so badly.
gowest
Bookworm

Post by gowest »

good to hear leo is doing well,

what the stroy with the leisnter squad, will it be the full squad or are players still being rested.

strong edenbrugh team, very early to name a team tho, maybe they just want to get the team settled
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

thanks be to science i dont have to read the treviso thread any more.

i for one wont be holding my breathe for a W this weekend, a decent performance where we dont look like a J 4(a) team having it's first game of the year will do me. It's in murrayfield against an edinburgh team up against it. The ex-gunners by 10 :(
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

Not looking forward to this game, or next week (although if they can't at least look half interested for next week then they really do need to be lined and one by one receive a good hard punt up the hoop).

I think I shall attempt to watch it through an alcoholic haze.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Danthefan wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:
Get a grip!
In the context of the ML it's very important we win this game imo.
Agree that it's a become a huge game for us. As much as I was disappointed with last weeks performance I don't really care about this one as long as win. With Munster in better shape than us at the moment a loss on Friday could leave us with a strong possibility of going in to the HC games with one win from five.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

sheepshagger wrote:
Get a grip!

Well that's how I see it.

Win and stay within touching distance of the leaders, lose and the ramifications may well be another loss at home to the turnips (unthinkable for a while) following on into the HC with morale & confidence rock bottom. This is a pretty likely scenario.

I hope some of our senior players take your advice in Embra.
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Ahhh your not far off. I was having a laugh but another two losses and were in pretty bad shape for the rest of the campaign. I'm just not too sure if I care to be honest.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Logorrhea wrote:Ahhh your not far off. I was having a laugh but another two losses and were in pretty bad shape for the rest of the campaign. I'm just not too sure if I care to be honest.
i wouldn't be too worried about the league tbh, munster managed a top 4 spot losing 50% of our games last season. granted we had a fair few BPs, but i would be shocked if leinster don't make a play off spot.

i would be more worried about the confidence within the squad as they head into a very tough HC campaign, that even on great form leinster would be lucky to get out of their group. then again if you back a dog into a corner he will come out fighting.

what is the story with berne? if fit he should be playing imo, he is very good at getting the back line moving, as he showed in the scarlets games last season
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Berne's not fit. Sexton may not be fit. More than likely it'll be Madigan at 10 again with Isa or Fergus taking the kicks.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Phil Godman will not be playing on Friday. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during an Edinburgh training session yesterday. Bad injury for the guy. A lot of teams are picking up some long term injuries.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Homer wrote:Phil Godman will not be playing on Friday. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during an Edinburgh training session yesterday. Bad injury for the guy. A lot of teams are picking up some long term injuries.
Patterson at 10?
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

David Blair