Donnybrook Pitch

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Donnybrook Pitch

Post by thecoolfreak »

I was in in the Leinster Rugby shop at the Brook today and i have to say the pitch looks in excellent condition. Lets hope it can remain like that for the whole season
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

in fairness the pitch last year only had 2 months to bed in , when it needed 4. Now the pitch has had that it should be better. Also there is a commitment to play less schools matches on it. Over 100 games were played on it last year.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Donnybrook Pitch

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoolfreak wrote:I was in in the Leinster Rugby shop at the Brook today and i have to say the pitch looks in excellent condition. Lets hope it can remain like that for the whole season
Yes, the Wesley under 12 third team will be itching to get back into action on the brand new surface.... :roll:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Flash Gordon wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:I was in in the Leinster Rugby shop at the Brook today and i have to say the pitch looks in excellent condition. Lets hope it can remain like that for the whole season
Yes, the Wesley under 12 third team will be itching to get back into action on the brand new surface.... :roll:
While it is a joke that so many matches are played on the pitch, is it not owned by the two clubs? I think the best option is to get a long-term deal done with the RDS....
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

I've been past there a few times lately and the pitch does look great. It also looked great at the start of last season though, let's hope it doesn't end up in bits again this season.
I don't care how liberated this world becomes - a man will always be
judged by the amount of alcohol he can consume - and a woman will be
impressed, whether she likes it or not.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
While it is a joke that so many matches are played on the pitch, is it not owned by the two clubs? I think the best option is to get a long-term deal done with the RDS....
I think the IRFU own donnybrook.
The deal with the rds will be done but it will have a capacity of about 19,000 when complete. we will still play in donnybrook for games that attract the 6,000 mark.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
I don't think those clubs own the stadium, in the same way that Lansdowne and Wanderers don't own Lansdowne Road.

Interesting that they've sold off their pitches in Stepaside though.
BIG DAN
Bookworm

Post by BIG DAN »

Saw the pitch myself today and it looks quality. You're right about the RDS but when a deal is made to play there, Donnybrook should be done up. With the interest in season tickets this year i think it justifies building a bigger capacity 'stadium'. No doubt this coming season there will be bigger numbers coming to each game.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

coolfreak - have you blown all the cash in the Leinster Store from your Summer job :lol: :lol: :lol:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

sheepshagger wrote:
coolfreak - have you blown all the cash in the Leinster Store from your Summer job :lol: :lol: :lol:
No just had to get a mouthguard. Didn't even have a look around and by the sounds of the other thread on here i should have done
ktf.
Mullet

Post by ktf. »

The pitch in donnybrook is much like the dubs

Looking really well in July but just wait till september comes and watch it fall apart
Your my boy Blue!!!!!!!!
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

BlueBlue wrote:
jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Yes, the Wesley under 12 third team will be itching to get back into action on the brand new surface.... :roll:
I think the IRFU own donnybrook.
The deal with the rds will be done but it will have a capacity of about 19,000 when complete. we will still play in donnybrook for games that attract the 6,000 mark.
The LB own the Broke. The IRFU own Ravers and Tomond and the MB own Musgrave.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I heard on Newstalk last night an interview with Mick Dawson. He was commenting on Lotto Funding for the back pitch in Donnybrook, where they are putting in better flood lights and upgrading the pitch. He also spoke about the Lotto funds which the RDS got to upgrade the pitch and stadium there and he said they are drawing up heads of agreement with the RDS about making it Leinsters home from September 2007 - Great News but I presume that means the shelving of the redevelopment of Donnybrook into a 14,000 stadium too.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Mauler wrote:I heard on Newstalk last night an interview with Mick Dawson. He was commenting on Lotto Funding for the back pitch in Donnybrook, where they are putting in better flood lights and upgrading the pitch. He also spoke about the Lotto funds which the RDS got to upgrade the pitch and stadium there and he said they are drawing up heads of agreement with the RDS about making it Leinsters home from September 2007 - Great News but I presume that means the shelving of the redevelopment of Donnybrook into a 14,000 stadium too.
Think that's been shelved already Mauler. Its a pity, the rent at the RDS is expensive, so it'll make us less profitable than Turnipstan and the Gringos.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd hope that if a long term lease deal is done with the Society, the terms would be more equitable than the fairly exorbidant rates they were charging last year.
I have Bumbleflex
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mauler wrote:I heard on Newstalk last night an interview with Mick Dawson. He was commenting on Lotto Funding for the back pitch in Donnybrook, where they are putting in better flood lights and upgrading the pitch. He also spoke about the Lotto funds which the RDS got to upgrade the pitch and stadium there and he said they are drawing up heads of agreement with the RDS about making it Leinsters home from September 2007 - Great News but I presume that means the shelving of the redevelopment of Donnybrook into a 14,000 stadium too.
How on earth are Lotto funds being given to a professional rugby team like Leinster? That doesn't sound right does it.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I think the Lotto funds were being given to the Leinster Branch rather than Leinster Rugby (pro team) for the upgrade of the back pitch in Donnybrook. As regards the Lotto money to the RDS, thats not for Leinster Rugby either, but rather for the upgrade of the pitch in their ground and the redevelopment of the showgrounds.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Duff Paddy wrote:
How on earth are Lotto funds being given to a professional rugby team like Leinster? That doesn't sound right does it.
Happens all the time over here. I think, though, that the recipient has to do stuff for the community in order to receive it. Surrey Cricket & Quins spring to mind. They both have community development officers, go to schools to coach, have regular coaching clinics, help out / sponsor local (sporting) events etc. So if they don't put something back, they don't get anything in the first place.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Mauler wrote:I think the Lotto funds were being given to the Leinster Branch rather than Leinster Rugby (pro team) for the upgrade of the back pitch in Donnybrook. As regards the Lotto money to the RDS, thats not for Leinster Rugby either, but rather for the upgrade of the pitch in their ground and the redevelopment of the showgrounds.
Ah yeah that's fair enough so.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

claire_m wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Happens all the time over here. I think, though, that the recipient has to do stuff for the community in order to receive it. Surrey Cricket & Quins spring to mind. They both have community development officers, go to schools to coach, have regular coaching clinics, help out / sponsor local (sporting) events etc. So if they don't put something back, they don't get anything in the first place.
People seem to forget that when the Lotto was first announced, 90% of the funds were to be used for sport in Ireland. After its initial success, it was hi-jacked by the government to use as a funding mechanism for all those projects that the government claimed it couldn't fund e.g. recreation, health, even infrastructure. It was not intended to be Government controlled but is now seen as an opportunity to earn a few extra votes.