Blues Talk tv

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable
Posts: 352
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by bluestalktv »

This week we take a look back at the Christmas and New Year holiday Inter-Pros before looking forward to the return of European action and discuss the rest of the rugby news.

User avatar
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9459
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Peg Leg »

Thank you Jason
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

riocard911
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2087
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by riocard911 »

bluestalktv wrote:This week we take a look back at the Christmas and New Year holiday Inter-Pros before looking forward to the return of European action and discuss the rest of the rugby news.
Disappointed to hear the Blues Talk Trio discussing the supposed lack of competitiveness of the Pro 14 and the desirability of a British and Irish League. Is it not enough to be bombarded 24/7 with begrudgery and doom and gloom by the likes of Luke Fitzgerald and the journo numpties at the Spindo? Can we not just enjoy the magnificence of our own team and how fabulously they're being coached? The standard of rugby Leinster are currently playing is fantastic to watch and a credit to all involved. That's why the RDS was sold out vs Connacht last Friday. I want to see Leinster hammering all comers all the time. If the opposition are no good, have an injury crisis, are in financial dire straits - I couldn't give a monkey's. Ditto if the money men never get their pound of flesh or Eir, BT or Sky go bust. As long as I'm getting leinstertained I'm happy out! Up Leinster and let the rest of them - opposition, media, beancounters sort out their own problems, I'M NOT INTERESTED!!!!!

User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
Posts: 22682
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Dave Cahill »

If Liverpool were to hammer St Mochta's would that be any indication of the magnificence and fabulousness of Liverpool, or the an indication that whatever competition threw them together is fatally flawed.

It is unquestionable that the Pro14 is now on a dead cat bounce, it's not even open for debate. The only question is what form the future takes and what we can do to shape it. We have to work out how high the bounce is and get out before the splat. Sticking our heads in the sand or our fingers in our ears and going lalalalalalala will see us drift off the pace in Europe.

We erred in binding ourselves so closely to the Welsh. The domestic game in Wales, at regional and club level, is completely dysfunctional. The Regions are impoverished, at war with each other and themselves. Regional Rugby in Wales is now nothing more than an extended series of trial games and distributed training camps for their national team. The days of Ospreys or Scarlets being consistent challengers at the top end of any competition are over. They will occasionally throw up a challenger now and again, but that will be more by luck and a confluence of circumstance than through any innate competitiveness.

We have to replace the Welsh as a main player in our provincial schedules. The only options are France, England and South Africa. South Africa is tied to Super Rugby until 2026 at the earliest and France are perfectly happy with the Top14 (they would happily replace European Cup games with more Top14 if it weren't for the ridiculous deal they got from BEIN Sports when the competition was reshaped). There are no other options, not in this decade at least. Suggestions around the US would be like replacing Mocta's above with Corduff United or Castleknock Celtic as things stand now and for the foreseeable future.

The IRFU already dislike the concentration of talent in Leinster. They will dislike even more a concentration of talent in an uncompetitive competition because then the only way that they can make the competition stronger is by strengthening the teams they have control over. Now how do you think they will go about that? How do you see the guy who, in a country where their versions of provinces are actual things - not just an ancient historical identity, rode roughshod over regional and state identities, going about it here? Hmmm?

The problems of the opposition are our problems, because without opposition its just 23 lads standing around on a pitch. The problems of the beancounters are our problems, because our players are professional rugby players and aren't hanging around for the free burgers in The Bridge. The problems of the media are our problems, because our sponsors aren't paying the medium bucks to have their brand in front of 15k people in various states of inebriation in the RDS as opposed to the vaster broadcast audience.

There are only three options open to us. 1) Carry as we are and rugby in Ireland will revert to its position at the end of the last millennium, finishing bottom of the 5 nations 70% of the time and the provinces playing in front of 200 bods in Dooradoyle and Anglesea Road. 2) Cross our fingers and hope that Wales sort themselves out 3) Take control of the situation ourselves and go with the solution thats best for Irish rugby (not just Leinster Rugby, but all of us from the National Team down and the club game up) however many eggs that omlette needs to be broken
I have Bumbleflex

riocard911
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2087
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:If Liverpool were to hammer St Mochta's would that be any indication of the magnificence and fabulousness of Liverpool, or the an indication that whatever competition threw them together is fatally flawed.

It is unquestionable that the Pro14 is now on a dead cat bounce, it's not even open for debate. The only question is what form the future takes and what we can do to shape it. We have to work out how high the bounce is and get out before the splat. Sticking our heads in the sand or our fingers in our ears and going lalalalalalala will see us drift off the pace in Europe.

We erred in binding ourselves so closely to the Welsh. The domestic game in Wales, at regional and club level, is completely dysfunctional. The Regions are impoverished, at war with each other and themselves. Regional Rugby in Wales is now nothing more than an extended series of trial games and distributed training camps for their national team. The days of Ospreys or Scarlets being consistent challengers at the top end of any competition are over. They will occasionally throw up a challenger now and again, but that will be more by luck and a confluence of circumstance than through any innate competitiveness.

We have to replace the Welsh as a main player in our provincial schedules. The only options are France, England and South Africa. South Africa is tied to Super Rugby until 2026 at the earliest and France are perfectly happy with the Top14 (they would happily replace European Cup games with more Top14 if it weren't for the ridiculous deal they got from BEIN Sports when the competition was reshaped). There are no other options, not in this decade at least. Suggestions around the US would be like replacing Mocta's above with Corduff United or Castleknock Celtic as things stand now and for the foreseeable future.

The IRFU already dislike the concentration of talent in Leinster. They will dislike even more a concentration of talent in an uncompetitive competition because then the only way that they can make the competition stronger is by strengthening the teams they have control over. Now how do you think they will go about that? How do you see the guy who, in a country where their versions of provinces are actual things - not just an ancient historical identity, rode roughshod over regional and state identities, going about it here? Hmmm?

The problems of the opposition are our problems, because without opposition its just 23 lads standing around on a pitch. The problems of the beancounters are our problems, because our players are professional rugby players and aren't hanging around for the free burgers in The Bridge. The problems of the media are our problems, because our sponsors aren't paying the medium bucks to have their brand in front of 15k people in various states of inebriation in the RDS as opposed to the vaster broadcast audience.

There are only three options open to us. 1) Carry as we are and rugby in Ireland will revert to its position at the end of the last millennium, finishing bottom of the 5 nations 70% of the time and the provinces playing in front of 200 bods in Dooradoyle and Anglesea Road. 2) Cross our fingers and hope that Wales sort themselves out 3) Take control of the situation ourselves and go with the solution thats best for Irish rugby (not just Leinster Rugby, but all of us from the National Team down and the club game up) however many eggs that omlette needs to be broken
Chapeau, Dave. That's an excellent and balanced overview of the situation. I might be delusional, but I'm hoping the Welsh, having just brought in central contracts in and with Liam Williams and Rhys Webb returning as well as Mike Ruddock in charge of the Ospreys can turn the thing around. I mean, if one looks at the Pro 14 round 10 highlights on YouTube, the rugby being played in our much maligned league is pretty good and highly entertaining.

User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10529
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by ronk »

The extended training camp aspect means that returning marquee players don't mean much. They won't do much for the Ospreys, they'll play the derbies to boost crowds.

The risk with leaving the Welsh out in the cold is the 6N. We can afford a hit for the sake of the 6N. They can continually have a weak Pro14 because it's been good for their 6N.

Leinster are on a run, but that won't go on forever. Ulster are on the way up. Connacht are not looking great with injuries but I think they're trending up overall. Munster have potential.

One of the things that's hurting the Welsh is that the Scots and Italians have improved and they need to adjust. Now that Gatland has gone they wont be concentrating on the RWC, they haven't fully come back but they might soon and they will want to impress in a Lions year.

User avatar
Oldschool
Cian Healy
Posts: 12761
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Oldschool »

If the suggestion is that joining the PRL is the only solution then NH club rugby is fupped.
The standard of rugby played in the PRL is lower than the standard in the Pro14 despite claims to the contrary.
The SRU and WRU are the ones with the tough decisions to make.
And the bottom line question for all involved is - will the numbers stack up? :roll:
The IRFU, WRU and SRU seem to be in better nick than either the PRL or the RU.
So that begs another obvious question WHY.
A lot of blather is being talked (not the contributors mind here) about the unification of the b and I club teams.
It's all Leinster's fault, the Pro14 isn't competitive etc etc.
Where's the evidence?
The PRL can't compete because they have to deal with relegation. That flies in the face of the Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
Why exactly is club rugby in England, given the size of the population there, in such rag financial order?
The arguments for joining the PRL are a lot less convincing than the arguments for steering clear.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.

User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10529
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by ronk »

The financial problem is caused by relegation.

You spend to prevent it, you invest in this year. Adding more money for everyone just makes relegation scarier. They also love signing marquee players on huge money. They even designed the salary cap to allow 2 megastars to be paid anything.

User avatar
Oldschool
Cian Healy
Posts: 12761
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:The financial problem is caused by relegation.

You spend to prevent it, you invest in this year. Adding more money for everyone just makes relegation scarier. They also love signing marquee players on huge money. They even designed the salary cap to allow 2 megastars to be paid anything.
So a proposed two division league (assuming there is relegation/promotion) will cause financial problems?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.

FLIP
Mullet
Posts: 1973
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by FLIP »

The lack of spectators at Ospreys v Saracens should put to bed the nonsense of "play the english and the welsh fans will come". They need to focus on the Pro14 and we need to stay away from the PRL.
Anyone But New Zealand

User avatar
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable
Posts: 352
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by bluestalktv »

In this week’s episode of Blues Talk TV we take a look back at Leinster’s victory over Lyon in the Heineken Champions Cup, discuss the rest of the European action and ask the question – Can you have too many good players?

User avatar
Xanthippe
Brian O'Driscoll
Posts: 3750
Joined: September 5th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Xanthippe »

John re quarter finals - unfortunately they come immediately after our games v Cheetahs and Kings. Exceptionally bad timing for us.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE



I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever

User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
Posts: 18378
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by johng »

Yes. I checked that as soon as we finished. The fact that I couldn't remember who was the game in between SA and the QF should have told me something.

Strategy will probably be... Write off the SA games and send the Academy. Train the 23 for the QF separately for those 3 weeks. Downside is they will have no game.

You could also have a halfway house by sending a few to the cheetahs and bringing them back after but I doubt they will bother.

User avatar
bluestalktv
Knowledgeable
Posts: 352
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by bluestalktv »

This week on Blues Talk we take a look back at the weekend’s European action with Leinster taking on Benetton Rugby in Treviso. We also discuss the rest of the weekends action and talk about the chaos around Saracens.

User avatar
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9459
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Peg Leg »

Thank you!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

riocard911
Isa Nacewa
Posts: 2087
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by riocard911 »

Great show - as ever!!!

User avatar
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9459
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Peg Leg »

Will you be releasing an ep this week?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

User avatar
johng
Devin Toner
Posts: 18378
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by johng »

The heady combination of too much dayjob and no Leinster game has created a gap in the fixtures for BT

User avatar
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney
Posts: 9459
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:The heady combination of too much dayjob and no Leinster game has created a gap in the fixtures for BT
I think it's time to go pro
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan

User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
Posts: 22682
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: Blues Talk tv

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:The heady combination of too much dayjob and no Leinster game has created a gap in the fixtures for BT
I think it's time to go pro
And forgo our chance to podcast at the Olympics?
I have Bumbleflex

Post Reply