Open letter to Joe re the Sarries fixture

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simplythebest
Enlightened

Open letter to Joe re the Sarries fixture

Post by simplythebest »

Dear Joe,

I see the ERC have given us Monsieur Romain Poite as Referee for the forthcoming Heineken match against Saracens. This is the same referee who officiated our opening ERC game last year against London Irish. Having been at attendance at said game, I can only describe my horror at finding out that the same Ref. is to officiate such an important game for us, as I have no doubt that we lost that game to London Irish for no other reason than some very weird calls made by Monsieur Poite. The RDS is normally, while intimidating to visiting teams, extremely polite. I have never heard such a venomous reaction, at the RDS, to anybody, as I did after the aforementioned game against LI. So it wasn’t just me who was shocked at what we had witnessed.
I write to ask you to please study in depth how this man officiates and try and get the inside track. The lads were disappointed with the said Ref. post that LI game and perhaps you can get their input as to how best this man should be handled. Please do NOT under-estimate the damage that this man can do. We need this win on January 15th, very badly. As the old saying goes, “Fail to prepare, prepare to fail”. Please, do the homework on this Ref.

Yours with respect,

A Supporter.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Open letter to Joe re the Sarries fixture

Post by Logorrhea »

May I start by saying I hate open letters. Stick it in an envelope and post it.

Secondly Poite allowed a free for all at the breakdown against LI. It was not our strong point and Stupmy Armitage, Mapasua and the other centre (couldnt be arsed looking) were just too good for us on that day (given the refs interpretation).

Thirdly, wasnt it Sarries complaining about us at the breakdown in the away fixtures. Clermont did the same in the away fixture too.

Fourth .... eh ..... ly, do you believe they need to be reminded to prepare for a referee in a HEC fixture?

Fifthly (feck it), Poite rewards the more powerful scrum. If we are in the assendancy there we'll be okay.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Logorrhea wrote:May I start by saying I hate open letters. Stick it in an envelope and post it.
Just trying to mix things up a bit, rather than going with the usual, "I think.............". It's called writers licence.
Anyway, if you hate open letters, then why bother with a forum? Or why didn't you pm me? :wink:
Poite rewards the more powerful scrum. If we are in the assendancy there we'll be okay.
I really hope you're right on this one, Logorrhea.
LEINSTER pour toujours
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Is Matt Stevans back from suspension for the game? Not that he was a destructive scrummager when he was playing anyway I guess.
Isn't everything here an open letter?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Would think that Schmidt should be in a good position to know how Poite refs, considering his coaching experience in France.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Sincero
Graduate

Post by Sincero »

The most irritating thing after the Exiles clash last season was the man himself (in fairness to him, and fair play for the honesty) admitted that his interpretation of the breakdown had been incorrect. It's a tough job being a ref, especially when the forces that be keep messing about with the rules every five minutes, but it is your job to enforce the law as it stands. So top marks to the man for the honesty, not sure how many refs would have admitted any fault, but his performance was poor on the day.

I trust, however, that that was an honest mistake- he wasn't trying to do either side down. And given all that, I think he'll probably do a decent job for this game.
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Would have preferred something along the lines of:-

Dear Mr Poite, (or Romain depending on Joe's familiarity)

I am delighted that you have been chosen to officiate our match against Saracens in the RDS.
I have fond memories of my time with Clerment in French.
Enjoyed your countries' many cheeses and excellent wines.
I'm sure you are well aware of the great friendship that exists between Ireland and France.
(I believe Charles De Gaule and Eamonn DeValera were on first name terms in times gone by)
Since I took over the coaching role at Leinster, I have endeavoured (quite successfully, if I may say so)
to inculcate the same dedication to scrummaging, that I know you and all french patriots enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing you in Dublin for our match against the anglo-saxon Saracens team.

Yours accordingly
Joe Schmidt.

(Someboy else can do the Frnech Translation)
(Note this is just a guideline for Joe as I'm sure he can do a far better job of it than I could ever hope to)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Oldschool wrote:Would have preferred something along the lines of:-

Dear Mr Poite, (or Romain depending on Joe's familiarity)

I am delighted that you have been chosen to officiate our match against Saracens in the RDS.
I have fond memories of my time with Clerment in French.
Enjoyed your countries' many cheeses and excellent wines.
I'm sure you are well aware of the great friendship that exists between Ireland and France.
(I believe Charles De Gaule and Eamonn DeValera were on first name terms in times gone by)
Since I took over the coaching role at Leinster, I have endeavoured (quite successfully, if I may say so)
to inculcate the same dedication to scrummaging, that I know you and all french patriots enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing you in Dublin for our match against the anglo-saxon Saracens team.

Yours accordingly
Joe Schmidt.

(Someboy else can do the Frnech Translation)
(Note this is just a guideline for Joe as I'm sure he can do a far better job of it than I could ever hope to)
:lol: :lol:
Bang on. Joe should also invite him to the post match Dinner and then tell him that Leo and all the boys would like to take him down to Krystals later on in the evening, for a little bon temps.
LEINSTER pour toujours
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Sincero wrote:The most irritating thing after the Exiles clash last season was the man himself (in fairness to him, and fair play for the honesty) admitted that his interpretation of the breakdown had been incorrect. It's a tough job being a ref, especially when the forces that be keep messing about with the rules every five minutes, but it is your job to enforce the law as it stands. So top marks to the man for the honesty, not sure how many refs would have admitted any fault, but his performance was poor on the day.

I trust, however, that that was an honest mistake- he wasn't trying to do either side down. And given all that, I think he'll probably do a decent job for this game.
I didn't know that. Fair play if he saw the error of his ways and even more fair play for admitting it. Will keep an open mind so, and hopefully my fears are totally ungrounded. :D
LEINSTER pour toujours
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Is Matt Stevans back from suspension for the game? Not that he was a destructive scrummager when he was playing anyway I guess.
Isn't everything here an open letter?
Not listed in Sarries ERC squad, ergo is probably inelligible!
T - 45
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

limecat wrote:Would think that Schmidt should be in a good position to know how Poite refs, considering his coaching experience in France.
Good point, this may well play to out advantage (though wasn't mccall coaching in France too)
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

What team would people like to see for this one?

I'd go with

1. Healy
2. Strauss
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Hines
6. O'Brien
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip

9. Reddan
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'Arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Horgan
15. Nacewa

16. Harris-Wright 17. Van Der Merwe 18. Newland 19. Toner 20. McLoughlin 21. Boss 22. McFadden 23. Conway

I think Horgan's form deserves a start and although McFadden has been doing superb, he's still out of position on the wing and Fitz should be fit by then and he still isn't ahead of D'Arcy. In the pack, O'Brien is obviously undroppable at the moment, so it's between McLoughlin and Jennings, and although McLoughlin would make it one of the biggest back-row units in Europe, I think it's overkill and we wont need as much muscle as that and Jennings has been in great form. Healys form gets him ahead of VDM also.

Bench is strong, most pick themselves, but McLoughlin comes back in ahead of Ryan / Ruddock and I picked McFadden & Conway and no Berne as I'd prefer to have Nacewa as OH cover and keep two real attacking threats on the bench to come on later and freshen the backline up in case we need that extra push towards the end to get the result.

Exciting game to come though and think we can get the job done in round 5 (win with no bonus v Saracens and Clermont to win with no bonus v Racing = Leinster through).
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I think 12 players pick themselves at the moment. There's 2 "horses for courses" decisions to be made at loose-head and scrum-half. The other decision concerns Fitz's fitness. If he's not fit to start against the Ospreys I probably wouldn't start him against Saracens and continue with McFadden on the wing.

In the back-row I think Seanie, Jenno and Jamie are practically undroppable right now. McLaughlin makes a good sub and even there the likes of Ryan and Ruddock are pushing him for that spot.

On the bench front, I think Berne has to take a spot, he's a better 10 than Isa should Johnny go off, and if Luke isn't fit, we'd be struggling at full-back if we had to move Isa to 10. Also, for the 240,000,000th time Andrew Conway isn't in the HEC squad and can't be added until after the group stages.

My selection: Nacewa, Horgan, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Fitz/McFadden, Sexton, Boss; Healy, Strauss, Ross, Cullen, Hines, O'Brien, Jennings, Heaslip:
Subs: Harris-Wright, vd Merwe, Newland, Toner, McLaughlin/Ryan/Ruddock, Reddan, Berne, McFadden/Fitz/O'Malley.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Soooo you're saying Conway at 15 maybe with Nacewa on the wing?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Yeah Jackass, I'ld go with your team, EXCEPT, I'ld switch Boss and Reddan around, i.e. Boss starting, Reddan on the bench.
LEINSTER pour toujours
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

kev gives an additional lineout option which none of jenno, sob or jamie do (or dippy or RR). So if we are to target their lineout he has to start. A few games under his belt between now and then will do him the world of good, he got twice as much gametime as the management had planned thanks to SOB's needing stitches.

I think reddan to start and boss to close out is a better option. It also means if reddan has one of those days then he can be taken off.

I would also wait and see with luuuuuuke. I dont think he gotten his mojo back yet and frankly mcf is playing too well atm to drop. We'll have to see how luuuuuuke does with a few run outs in the ML.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

McFadden ahead of Luke right now. It would be a shame to drop our form back immediately on the return of one of our injured players. Luke has to earn it back.

Not sure about Kev - it's very hard to drop any one of Jamie, Jenno, or Seán. He wasn't used in the lineout on Saturday was he?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

fourthirtythree wrote:McFadden ahead of Luke right now. It would be a shame to drop our form back immediately on the return of one of our injured players. Luke has to earn it back.

Not sure about Kev - it's very hard to drop any one of Jamie, Jenno, or Seán. He wasn't used in the lineout on Saturday was he?
fairly certain he was used frequently and often.

though i was watching online so i may be wrong.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

tate wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:McFadden ahead of Luke right now. It would be a shame to drop our form back immediately on the return of one of our injured players. Luke has to earn it back.

fairly certain he was used frequently and often.

though i was watching online so i may be wrong.
Yes tate, I noticed him taking quite a few lineout balls.
Dont Panic!
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

IIRC Jenno had a particularly good game against Sarries last time around so i'd see no reason to change that personally. i have 100% confidence in Schmidt to pick the best team which is refreshing!
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson