HEC competitor watch

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: HEC competitor watch

Post by Danthefan »

[Jackass] wrote:Funny how Sarries played LI and Racing played Toulon this week, both opposition from our group and the other group of death, with both our grop rivals winning. Seriously tough group we are in.

I don't think Sarries will be a pushover. It's an English rugby trait to play for pride and they will want to spoil our party, that's for sure. I don't think motivation or effort will be any less than usual for Sarries in this one.

I'm less optomistic after our Ospreys performance. We should beat anybody in the RDS, but I just hope the lads aren't complaicant and also cleaned off some cobwebs the other night.

Should be a great fixture though and I'm really looking forward to it.
A team can't play every game at 100%, it's just not possible. There are always going to be poor performances and lost games. I would imagine there was very much a plan of keeping the powder dry while doing enough to win.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

desperado wrote:+ Wiesnewski (more so than Steyn). Hopefully he'll be missing for our trip to Metro as he's been cited after the Montpellier match and is due for a hearing on the 19th.
Yeah, he's a good kicking OH. Saw his spear in that match at the time. IIRC he just got a yellow? Anyway, very stupid one. I imagine he'll get towards the lower end for spears as he was obviously being idiotic and I doubt he has a big form sheet.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

even if he gets the lower end; if the hearing is on the 19th and he gets a suspension - I assume he'd be out for the game on the 21st even if he lodges an appeal ?
or is there some conspiracy here - it seems to me to be a long time (17 days) before the hearing. Does that mean he can immediately lodge an appeal and be available for the 21st rather than for example have the hearing on say the 10th (the match was on the Sunday the 2nd); he gets a 2 week ban which brings him to the 24th.
If he appealed this, most probably an appeal wouldn't be heard until a week later - 17th Jan, and even if reduced to 1 week it would still take him beyond the 21st.
Maybe I'm seeing too many grassy knolls or whatever the French equivalent is :) . One way or another, it'll be interesting to see if he's available.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

He was playing yesterday, so I'd imagine the ban would start after the hearing, not after the incident.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

desperado wrote: or is there some conspiracy here - it seems to me to be a long time (17 days) before the hearing. Does that mean he can immediately lodge an appeal and be available for the 21st rather than for example have the hearing on say the 10th (the match was on the Sunday the 2nd); he gets a 2 week ban which brings him to the 24th.
If he appealed this, most probably an appeal wouldn't be heard until a week later - 17th Jan, and even if reduced to 1 week it would still take him beyond the 21st.
Generally, the French take a lot longer to hold their hearings than the rest of us so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he's found guilty, he'll miss the match I'd be quite sure. At that point in time, Clermont may have beaten Racing anyway and they may not give a fiddlers about the match. Regardless, he's a big loss for them. For all the money they've spent, he seems to be the one bloke who really keeps the scoreboard ticking over. Racing rely heavily on their 3 pointers; not really a try scoring side despite the players they possess in the backs.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

desperado wrote:even if he gets the lower end; if the hearing is on the 19th and he gets a suspension - I assume he'd be out for the game on the 21st even if he lodges an appeal ?
or is there some conspiracy here - it seems to me to be a long time (17 days) before the hearing. Does that mean he can immediately lodge an appeal and be available for the 21st rather than for example have the hearing on say the 10th (the match was on the Sunday the 2nd); he gets a 2 week ban which brings him to the 24th.
Maybe I'm seeing too many grassy knolls or whatever the French equivalent is :) . One way or another, it'll be interesting to see if he's available.
It's "Le grassy knoll" ...... pending confirmation from SB of course :)
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Peg Leg wrote:
desperado wrote:even if he gets the lower end; if the hearing is on the 19th and he gets a suspension - I assume he'd be out for the game on the 21st even if he lodges an appeal ?

Le monticule herbeux.......maybe
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

mikey wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
desperado wrote: Maybe I'm seeing too many grassy knolls or whatever the French equivalent is :) . One way or another, it'll be interesting to see if he's available.

Le monticule herbeux.......maybe
La Coline Vert perhaps?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

[Jackass] wrote:Funny how Sarries played LI and Racing played Toulon this week, both opposition from our group and the other group of death, with both our grop rivals winning. Seriously tough group we are in.

I don't think Sarries will be a pushover. It's an English rugby trait to play for pride and they will want to spoil our party, that's for sure. I don't think motivation or effort will be any less than usual for Sarries in this one.

I'm less optomistic after our Ospreys performance. We should beat anybody in the RDS, but I just hope the lads aren't complaicant and also cleaned off some cobwebs the other night.

Should be a great fixture though and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank god then that Sarries are south africian :) - remember their world cup winning tour north when even Sarries beat them!! - great pride there
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Since when does merely launching an appeal make someone un-banned?
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

he got 3 weeks.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 83,00.html
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I see Wisniewski got 3 weeks. Out for our game I assume.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

good news, looks like Racing are throwing in the towel.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 99,00.html
Despite having won the home leg, Racing have selected a below-strength side as they seem focused on their domestic campaign. Hence Frans Steyn, Lionel Nallet and Sebastien Chabal are left out.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

slum wrote:good news, looks like Racing are throwing in the towel.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 99,00.html
Despite having won the home leg, Racing have selected a below-strength side as they seem focused on their domestic campaign. Hence Frans Steyn, Lionel Nallet and Sebastien Chabal are left out.
I wish they had thrown in the towel after an unfulfilling 3 all draw with Clermont :wink:
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

So does this mean the two French teams select underpar teams to play away against each other and those losses essentially knock them both out :D (obviously we helped that cause)?
I realise it's not over yet, but if all goes to plan...
Clermont
Knowledgeable

Post by Clermont »

That has to be good for us.... assuming Clermont win, that defo puts RM out of the running, so there's no real reason for them to risk their key players against us.
-Obviously playing at home will focus them, but still...
Victor Costello – Callsign “Burger” – Turns In His Wings: One Of You Two Jokers Is Going To Top Gun, The Other Is Flying Rubber Dogshit Out of Hong Kong
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Not such good news for us, would prefer that Clermont win but not get the BP.
Clermont
Knowledgeable

Post by Clermont »

Donny B. wrote:Not such good news for us, would prefer that Clermont win but not get the BP.
Fair point, hadn't thought in terms of Clermont usurping us!
Victor Costello – Callsign “Burger” – Turns In His Wings: One Of You Two Jokers Is Going To Top Gun, The Other Is Flying Rubber Dogshit Out of Hong Kong
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

John23 wrote:I see Wisniewski got 3 weeks. Out for our game I assume.
Yeah, we only have to deal with Hernandez now :roll:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Would think we'll see the likes of Nallet and Steyn back for our match but other players rested. Be surprised if they rested them for 2 weeks running. We could see players such as Fall and Cronje benched. Would rather Nallet and Steyn out to be honest if that comes to pass.