HEC competitor watch

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Eristic
Knowledgeable

Re: HEC competitor watch

Post by Eristic »

Anyone else feel that they're just going through the motions?
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Watching this online and the Saints v Stickies game on the box. Are they playing the same sport?
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Rougerie with the fourth BP try for Clermont. We'll need to beat Sarries with a BP to definitely win the pool tomorrow so. But at least Racing are dead in the water now.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:Rougerie with the fourth BP try for Clermont. We'll need to beat Sarries with a BP to definitely win the pool tomorrow so. But at least Racing are dead in the water now.
Yeah was hoping Racing would hold out but nothing we can do about that. Was a bit of strange game, as mentioned already they looked a bit like they were going through the motions, as if they thought the group was finished already.
Dont Panic!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

because of the 5th Try, Clermont are now top of the table.

We must
(a) win tomorrow (without BP) and get a BP away and get trys!! to secure top position - in case ASM get BP win away to Sarries

or

(b) get BP win plus an away BP to be sure to be sure

my trip to Racing seems well worth the travel now, it will be an exciting finish to the group.

Overall not the worst result (ie Racing winning) but not the best (with ASM winning without BP)
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

glenageary wrote:because of the 5th Try, Clermont are now top of the table.
I believe that head to head record takes precedence over tries scored so we are still ahead of Clermont.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

We must
(a) win tomorrow (without BP) and get a BP away and get trys!! to secure top position - in case ASM get BP win away to Sarries

or

my trip to Racing seems well worth the travel now, it will be an exciting finish to the group.

Overall not the worst result (ie Racing winning) but not the best (with ASM winning without BP)

Forgive me but did they get a fifth try. Was it not finished with a forward pass? there was no conversion.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

no 5th try
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Mackman15 wrote:

We must

or

Forgive me but did they get a fifth try. Was it not finished with a forward pass? there was no conversion.
It finished 28-17. Mackman, you are correct. Barnes ruled the pass was forward at the end.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

According to Skysports the table is now:

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Leinster 4 3 0 1 27 14
2 Clermont 5 3 0 2 10 14
3 Racing 5 2 0 3 -22 9
4 Saracens 4 1 0 3 -15 6

Poor form by the ERC not to have updated by now.

EDIT: Apologies for the poor formatting, it looks right as I'm writing this so not sure why it doesn't look right when I submit and I'm too tired to start messing with it!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Cianostays wrote:It finished 28-17. Mackman, you are correct. Barnes ruled the pass was forward at the end.
Thanks be to jayus, i was nearly pouring out the bottle there............ Phew, top up it is so.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Mackman15 wrote:
Cianostays wrote:It finished 28-17. Mackman, you are correct. Barnes ruled the pass was forward at the end.
Thanks be to jayus, i was nearly pouring out the bottle there............ Phew, top up it is so.
thanks, when I saw the try I walked out of the room, fecking them - the maths was already running thru my head! obviously too quickly

excellent, we are still ahead.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Cianostays wrote:
I believe that head to head record takes precedence over tries scored so we are still ahead of Clermont.
Inside the pool it's head to head and then for QF spots it's tries scored which could be a problem if Leicester beat Scarlets this weekend and go into the final game at home to treviso at the end of next weekend knowing exactly how many tries they need.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

again I am too quick! ye are right the rules are

(ii) if Clubs are equal on points and the Clubs are in the same Pool, then qualification / ranking will be based on the two matches played between the Clubs concerned:

(a) the Club which has earned the most number of match points from the two matches (four points for a win, two points for a draw and bonus points).
(b) the Club which has scored the most tries in the two matches.
(c) the Club with the best aggregate points difference from the two matches.

therefore the best ASM can get is 19pts, so a BP win tomorrow is enough, otherwise a 4 pt win and a away BP based on ASM getting 5 away will also do.

Praise be to BoD we get the BP win tomorrow - but I am doubtful, sarries defence is good, but an away BP looks very possible now (at least) given Racing are out.

I still think that Sarries - even if we trounce them - will never throw the towel in at home against the french champions so a BP win away for ASM is still a tough task - clear advantage leinster!

Allez les bleus
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I'd be amazed if we got the 5 pointer tomorrow, but I'd be even more amazed if we didn't wrap it up against Racing
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

jezzer wrote:I'd be amazed if we got the 5 pointer tomorrow, but I'd be even more amazed if we didn't wrap it up against Racing

Agreed, sarries defense is too stubborn to allow a BP - a one pont win will do. Remember while its still dry now - tomorrow is also supposed to be muck! we dont get too many tries in cr@p conditions.

A win in Racing is a real possibility, but a losing BP is a good bet - jesus dont we all remember the BP against LI!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

4 points tomorrow will mean that going to Paris, we would win the group with a losing bonus point, no matter what Clermont do, who will be away to Saracens, and considering Saracens nearly toppled them at home, and we beat Racing comfortably at home, and considering Racing are likely to field a weak team ahead of the T14 game a few days later, Clermont have the tougher last game imo.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Indeed, Jackass. Racing have a massive game away to Clermont in the top 14 only 4 days after our match with them. Hadn't realised this until now. We might well see a seriously understrength Racing side taking the field.

Huzzah.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

glenageary wrote:
jezzer wrote:I'd be amazed if we got the 5 pointer tomorrow, but I'd be even more amazed if we didn't wrap it up against Racing

Agreed, sarries defense is too stubborn to allow a BP - a one pont win will do. Remember while its still dry now - tomorrow is also supposed to be muck! we dont get too many tries in cr@p conditions.

A win in Racing is a real possibility, but a losing BP is a good bet - jesus dont we all remember the BP against LI!
:happy clapper:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Interestingly, Toulouse who are supposedly the best team in Europe, are possibly facing elimination. If Wasps win as expected against Glasgow and then beat Toulouse at home by more than 7 (if Toulouse don't improve their form this is very likely) then they'll be stuck on 21 points. There's a decent chance pools 4 and 5 may produce runners up with 22 points each. In that event, Toulouse are gone. Even as it stands, it looks like they could be facing an away QF.