stewards at matches

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: stewards at matches

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

suisse wrote:
rosscarrick wrote:Its also gas how many 'end of game' stewards come plodding out to stop the 18,000 crowd piling onto the pitch at full time!
Surely this is not required? Maybe in a final or semi final for safety reasons - but not the end standard Magner's League games. In the Sportsgrounds they allow the kids on at the end to try and get autographs and what not.
This is why fns shouldn't be allowed on the pitch anymore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6vkSrw2Js

And then this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qNnHsxq6g

I always liked getting players' autographes after matches in the old LR. But we hung around the back of the West Stand. If kids want programmes signed, I guess thye could wait behind the Anglesa Stand. The pitch is for players and officials, not fans
Oh funny that, I wasn't aware all fans are hooligans and must be kept off the pitch to minimise attacks on players :green clap:
3 Gold Stars
RnR
Knowledgeable

Post by RnR »

The number of stewards positioned around the pitch with 10 minutes to go is way OTT.
If the desire is to keep kids off the pitch, then announce this and allow people take responsibility for same.
Reduce the number of stewards by 50%. Once again, "health & saftey" gone effin mad.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I didn't see any issues on the Nth Stand except for the unholy mess of mud at the direct entrance to the stand. Bit of a jump to get over it, but at half time when I went for a pint / pee there were slates over it for better traversing :D
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Sincero wrote: Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it.
I think it was David McHugh who was attacked by a supporter while reffing a match in South Africa.
A proud Winsome Fluter
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

[Jackass] wrote:I recall asking a steward where the room for Contepomi's presentation was after the Scarlets game the season before last (iirc) as it was by the new lansdowne clubhouse in a room I don't think we had ever used before for a Leinster event, and he didn't have a clue. I also don't think any of them are rugby fans and seem disinterested in the games.

It's always nice when you see Stewards at stadiums applauding or celebrtaining a score, which is often seen in France,and in fairness, Munster.

Where do they get these people? And is it possible to give the job to fans perhaps? Who understand the game, the culture and have a basic knowledge of the facilities and the sport for any visiting guests or newcomers to the game?

People who would enjoy the responsability and care about being ambassedors for Leinster rugby and the reputation of the team and want to do a good job and be helpful etc. whilst also being knowledgable...
I think that's an excellant point. Don't know whether the logistics of it are possible but it must be worth a consideration.
LEINSTER pour toujours
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Sincero wrote:...........Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it.
Nope, never heard of it.
But I have heard of a rugby player jumping into the middle of the fans and attacking a spectator.
Go on Trevor Brennan, you mad thing ya. :lol:
LEINSTER pour toujours
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

simplythebest wrote:
Sincero wrote:...........Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it.
Nope, never heard of it.
But I have heard of a rugby player jumping into the middle of the fans and attacking a spectator.
Go on Trevor Brennan, you mad thing ya. :lol:
Dave McHughs will tell you about fans running onto the pitch in rugby matches.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Bok 'fan' attacking McHugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cugWIM6E39g

As the first comment on the clip says- "who is first to the breakdown?" McCaw of course :roll:

A very isolated incident and with that kind of assailant, I think the Sword people would be running in the opposite direction.....
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

At the Connacht match, the steward asked me 2 questions.

"What time is kick off?"
"How long is a game of rugby?"

lol. hilarious.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

the H&S cr@p around rugby has gone beyond a joke, G4 or whatever they are called that run TP were like the Gestapo when they first started, they were trained as if they were stewarding an Old Firm game or something. alot of the old stewards that were there before the redevelopment(that were mostly volunteers afaik) forced them to relax the attitude. its tolerable now, but that is 2 years later.

Munster A played a B&I game in Nenagh, and Nenagh were told to have 80 stewards at the game. it was surreal,
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

I remember this from a few years back at Stradey Park:-

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cardiff/news/ ... d=10363478

Query the "Rugby Fan" bit!!!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I want a Hi-Viz jacket with a Leinster logo :D
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

fourthirtythree wrote:
[Jackass] wrote: People who would enjoy the responsability and care about being ambassedors for Leinster rugby and the reputation of the team and want to do a good job and be helpful etc. whilst also being knowledgable...
It went out to tender AFIK to an outside contract and the previous set of people largely recruited through the clubs were give a week or two notice.
I found the previous set of stewards to be much better TBH, not that I've any particular gripe with the current lads.
Dont Panic!
Sincero
Graduate

Post by Sincero »

Trev's pummelling those two Ulster lads was wrong, but was also hilarious. I mean, they denied saying anything untoward, if I recall, but it could hardly have been a 'hey Trev, your laces are untied' type of heckle...

And the ref in that clip- as the Bokke commentator put, fat man was a bit of an eejit (my words, not his), but Mc.Caw was indeed going on sheer instinct. Did you see how fast he got himself into an offside position and lay on top of the fatty? I also agree with the commentators on that one... equally disgusted by the idiocy of the fool messing up the game and running onto the pitch as I was by his horrendous attempt at a tackle. What the hell was that?

So of course you can always get one madmad or a drunkard running onto the pitch (hopefully without weapons... remember what happened to that Seles lass in the tennis?), but that can happen at any moment. What's the next step, stewards watching the crowd for trouble, CCTV trained on us, or a plexiglass barrier? Another good thing about rugby is if there is an eejit or two making trouble in the terraces/stands, the punters sort them out. Zero tolerance.
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Sincero wrote:....
And the ref in that clip- as the Bokke commentator put, fat man was a bit of an eejit (my words, not his), but Mc.Caw was indeed going on sheer instinct. Did you see how fast he got himself into an offside position and lay on top of the fatty? I also agree with the commentators on that one... equally disgusted by the idiocy of the fool messing up the game and running onto the pitch as I was by his horrendous attempt at a tackle. What the hell was that? ...
IIRC the fat Bokke barsteward got off scott free. No prosecution by the cops for what was effectively an assault and no ban from the SARU.

Nice to see that McCaw appears to have given him an uppercut, and a bloody nose for his troubles.
T - 45
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sincero wrote: Did you see how fast he got himself into an offside position and lay on top of the fatty?

Quality. Pure instinct as you say, the supporting Bokkes like Venter were unable to join the ruck and the ref was completely blindsided.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Sincero wrote: Second, when was the last time a rugby fan ran onto the pitch at a top-level match and attacked an official or player? I've just never heard of it.
I think it was David McHugh who was attacked by a supporter while reffing a match in South Africa.
And the idiot who attacked McHugh was given some treatment by the players as far as I remember.