Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RDS v AVIVA

Post by ronk »

jrc wrote:
leinster80 wrote:
jrc wrote:
Either way, I think we should play our q/f in the RDS in front of 18k people who regularly attend the matches and will shout the house down, instead of in Lansdowne with the above 18k people and another 32k who go to one game a year.
What a load of Bullsh%t.
Good point, well made.

In my opinion, we have a far better chance of winning on our home ground packed to the rafters with loyal fans, than in a ground several of our players don't know that well, in front of a potentially less enthusiastic crowd (compared to the RDS).
It would be a bit daft to move the Clermont game to Lansdowne Road and then say that we shouldn't use it for a quarter final. I think the team would prefer to play in Lansdowne, there's more money to support the game and more people get the chance to spend money to go to a rugby game.

Every club has a much bigger pool of support than the season ticket holders. For one thing we sell a lot of tickets every match to people who aren't season ticket holders. If it was the same people every week, they'd probably just get season tickets. I have a season ticket but I know plenty of people who I wouldn't call less loyal or less passionate (conversely I know season ticket holders who just see it as a good day out at a good price). It's the people at these games who are the season ticket holders of tomorrow, and I'd be horrified to see Leinster Rugby adopt of policy of exclusivity to shut out some fans because it inflates the egos of some so called fans who think they're better than everyone else.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jrc wrote:
Either way, I think we should play our q/f in the RDS in front of 18k people who regularly attend the matches and will shout the house down, instead of in Lansdowne with the above 18k people and another 32k who go to one game a year.
It's just that it makes no sense.

It's a bit like, "Would you rather fight those 10 guys over there, or would you rather fight them and 15 of their mates as well"

We've played 2 won 2 in Lansdowne rd. With excellent support/noise. Our players know the ground much better than any opponent does.

Also the shape of the stadium focuses the noise onto the pitch.

As I have said previously we are only in the RDS a wet day anyway.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

johng wrote:
jrc wrote:

It's a bit like, "Would you rather fight those 10 guys over there, or would you rather fight them and 15 of their mates as well"

We've played 2 won 2 in Lansdowne rd. With excellent support/noise. Our players know the ground much better than any opponent does.

Ok, if that doesn't make sense, what about my other point about several of the players not being familiar with Lansdowne?

Also, is it a guaranteed sell-out? The Clermont game was different because it was Christmas. The Sarries game only sold out the RDS the day before the game.

It's not a huge deal to me. The game will probably be in Lansdowne and I'll be there with bells on. I'm just expressing my opinion.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

They sold out Lansdowne Road for quarter finals in 2003 and 2005 when our supporter base was a fraction of what it is now.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

jrc wrote:
leinster80 wrote:
jrc wrote:
What a load of Bullsh%t.
Good point, well made.

In my opinion, we have a far better chance of winning on our home ground packed to the rafters with loyal fans, than in a ground several of our players don't know that well, in front of a potentially less enthusiastic crowd (compared to the RDS).
Our first outing in the Aviva was our first actual performance of the season, and arguably our finest performance of the season was there against ASM. A "less enthusiastic crowd".. well its great that someone is enthusiastic enough to put their hand in their pocket, buy a ticket and get off the couch to go to a game - surely their enthusiasm is for the rugby and not the Aviva food outlets
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

RDS? Pah. Lansdowne? Patooey! Donnybrook?! Pshaw. Let's have the game at Bird's Avenue in front of our 400 most faithful and their dogs. The most faithful will be determined in a contest of my choosing that may or may not inlcude rabid wombats.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

jrc wrote:
johng wrote:
jrc wrote:

Ok, if that doesn't make sense, what about my other point about several of the players not being familiar with Lansdowne?

Also, is it a guaranteed sell-out? The Clermont game was different because it was Christmas. The Sarries game only sold out the RDS the day before the game.

It's not a huge deal to me. The game will probably be in Lansdowne and I'll be there with bells on. I'm just expressing my opinion.
traditionally the home HC game in Dec has had the lowest crowds.

With a little promotion we will sell out without too much trouble.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Decent bit of morkeshing + competatively priced tickets and the QF in Lansdowne will sell out easily, in fact there'll be people left disappointed.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

wixfjord wrote:
StrangeButBlue wrote:
jrc wrote:If we were to win our q/f in Lansdowne and have a home draw for the s/f, could we have the s/f also in Lansdowne? Given that the s/f can't be played in your home ground and we'd have played a pool game and a q/f there....

Semi can be played in LR as RDS is our home ground if we (or Ulster) get a home semi final.
It's a bit selfish for us season ticket holders not to share the team with the less committed rugby fans out there. I thought the atmosphere for Munster and Clermont was good enough and it's a chance for the 18k regulars to show the part-timers what it's all about
I really take exception to this "less committed fans" stuff. Personally, I f%~king love Leinster, my life revoolves around he team, but the fact is I just cannot afford a ST.
Now hopefully I'm years to come this will change, and I'll be on the terrace withthe big boys (I'll shout louder than anyone ;), but for now, games like munster and clermont are the only ones i can get too, because they're the big ones obviously, but also because of the availability of tickets.
What I'm saying is please LR stick it in he Aviva!
Wixford, for god sake don't wind up the terrace STH who will only accept a move from RDS on condition of getting a Corporate Box, fully catered, on the half way line for the same price (€2) that they pay for the their terrace ticket.

Come on all the luddites, embrace progress, embrace change, embrace New Lansdowne Road (with all its flaws). Perhaps you'll even find it in you heart to encourage non traditional supporters to attend the QF
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

wixfjord wrote: I really take exception to this "less committed fans" stuff. Personally, I f%~king love Leinster, my life revoolves around he team, but the fact is I just cannot afford a ST.
Now hopefully I'm years to come this will change, and I'll be on the terrace withthe big boys (I'll shout louder than anyone ;), but for now, games like munster and clermont are the only ones i can get too, because they're the big ones obviously, but also because of the availability of tickets.
What I'm saying is please LR stick it in he Aviva!
I'm sorry but thats just plain wrong. I WISH we sold out every single game!! They arent the only games that have tickets available. In fact they are probably the most expensive games, and usually the toughest to secure tickets for. There are routinely good deals put out by LR like BOGOF and 2 games for the price of 3, not to mention the 10€ ticket deals they have on when games are really tough to sell! :?

I really don't care where the game is. My seat in the Aviva for the last 2 fixtures were grand so I have no reservations about playing there, having said that the clermont and Ospreys fixtures last year in the RDS were intense too. Feck it, I dont care. just BRING IT!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Wixford, for god sake don't wind up the terrace STH who will only accept a move from RDS on condition of getting a Corporate Box, fully catered, on the half way line for the same price (€2) that they pay for the their terrace ticket.
How about you go and f**k yourself!

Typical attitude of the "I'm alright Jack" brigade!
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

johng wrote:
jrc wrote:

I have to agree with johng.
I'm a terrace dweller in the RDS and love the ground in fairness, compact, great atmosphere and close to capacity for most games. Every opportunity I get I purchase extra tickets and try to bring a few extra bodies to the games, and I often target the bigger games for the added excitement. Every time I do this I potentially add new and regular supporters to the family that is Leinster Rugby. This in turn adds to the support base, adds to LR's coffers through ticket sales, merchandising and the value of the LR brand for potential sponsors. Its not just a sport, its a business and an expensive one to run. A move to Lansdowne Rd for games such as these is imperative not only for the massive increase in revenue, some of the figures stated are colossal and will go a long way towards paying the contracts of players we NEED to hold on to, but also gives around 30 thousand other non regular, or potential new supporters the chance to come along and see what its all about. Every new fan starts with their first match, these are the matches that gets them in and hooked. And to be fair, have we not got a 100% record in Lansdowne Road?

LEINSTER FOR THE DOUBLE
Paddy Power will not be happy!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Without having to read through the whole thread, I'm not sure why there's even a debate.

The game WILL be played in the Aviva and it WILL be a sellout. If they can get 45k for a group match on the last Saturday before Christmas then a quarter-final in April will be a piece of piss!

Hopefully Leinster Rugby will look after ALL season ticket holders this time properly and offer them the good seats with a decent view at a reasonable price. That's all us filthy peasant terrace dwellers ask.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Donny B. wrote:Without having to read through the whole thread, I'm not sure why there's even a debate.

The game WILL be played in the Aviva and it WILL be a sellout. If they can get 45k for a group match on the last Saturday before Christmas then a quarter-final in April will be a piece of piss!

Hopefully Leinster Rugby will look after ALL season ticket holders this time properly and offer them the good seats with a decent view at a reasonable price. That's all us filthy peasant terrace dwellers ask.
Hear hear. Most of us filthy peasant terrace dwellers have been there since before the ST's were introduced. We should have formed a supporters union and called it the "Borders 1,100", in memory of the attandance at that game.

The branch should be loyal to ALL of its STH's instead of prioritising walk-ups (like they did in the two previous matches in the Aviva Prison.)
T - 45
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

whilst we will know who our opponents are today, will the date and time also be announced today? - Ryanair must think they know something we dont as flights from Birmingham to Dublin that weekend have rocketed from £40 for 2 that were available on Friday, to £200 for 2 this morning - wonder who they think we will be playing??!!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

mikey wrote:whilst we will know who our opponents are today, will the date and time also be announced today? - Ryanair must think they know something we dont as flights from Birmingham to Dublin that weekend have rocketed from £40 for 2 that were available on Friday, to £200 for 2 this morning - wonder who they think we will be playing??!!
O'Leary is just hedgeing. Check out the fares from East Midlands to Dublin on the same weekend. He iscovering the bases if we finish as fourth seeds and tigers to win their pool becoming fifth. Toulon are our more likely opponents (If Toulouse win).
T - 45
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Donny B. wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:
How about you go and f**k yourself!

Typical attitude of the "I'm alright Jack" brigade!
See Wixford, I told you. Don't antoganise the terrace Stazi.

Serously DB, don't you think you are a little sensitive to some gentle ribbing :wink:
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
mikey wrote:whilst we will know who our opponents are today, will the date and time also be announced today? - Ryanair must think they know something we dont as flights from Birmingham to Dublin that weekend have rocketed from £40 for 2 that were available on Friday, to £200 for 2 this morning - wonder who they think we will be playing??!!
O'Leary is just hedgeing. Check out the fares from East Midlands to Dublin on the same weekend. He iscovering the bases if we finish as fourth seeds and tigers to win their pool becoming fifth. Toulon are our more likely opponents (If Toulouse win).

Someone should tell him we cant be lower than third and to get the bloody prices down!
(I guess we COULD get them, but its very unlikely)...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:
Someone should tell him we cant be lower than third and to get the bloody prices down!
(I guess we COULD get them, but its very unlikely)...
For us to get Leicester, they would have to get a bP win. Perpignan would also need bp win, and Toulouse would need to lose. Any one of those things doesn't happen. We get Ulster or more likely Toulon.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Donny B. wrote: How about you go and f**k yourself!
:lol:

You show 'im Donny!

Back on topic, I can't really think of any good reason for it to be the RDS, even though personally I'd kind of like it to be there. I see the point about 18k vocal supporters vs 18k vocal plus 32k silent, but I doubt it'll be like that, I'm sure the 18k will coax a few cheers out of the 32k at some point or another :)
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.