RDS v AVIVA

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Re: RDS v AVIVA

Post by StrangeButBlue »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
wixfjord wrote: I really take exception to this "less committed fans" stuff. Personally, I f%~king love Leinster, my life revolves around he team, but the fact is I just cannot afford a ST.
Now hopefully I'm years to come this will change, and I'll be on the terrace with the big boys (I'll shout louder than anyone ;), but for now, games like munster and clermont are the only ones i can get too, because they're the big ones obviously, but also because of the availability of tickets.
What I'm saying is please LR stick it in the Aviva!
Wixford, for god sake don't wind up the terrace STH who will only accept a move from RDS on condition of getting a Corporate Box, fully catered, on the half way line for the same price (€2) that they pay for the their terrace ticket.

Come on all the luddites, embrace progress, embrace change, embrace New Lansdowne Road (with all its flaws). Perhaps you'll even find it in you heart to encourage non traditional supporters to attend the QF
For the record Wixford hasn't wound up anyone here (jrc feels the same I can assume?) because those terrace STH's you talk of don't exist.
Or like donny b said.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

What's the situation with the irfu central contracts? Could the money we make from this game just end up going to pay o gara and o callaghans new long-term deals?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jrc wrote: Ok, if that doesn't make sense, what about my other point about several of the players not being familiar with Lansdowne?
I can only assume that you mean "some of our players are more familiar than others having played in the AIs for Ireland. So therefore some have only played there twice rather than some 6 times"

Hmmmm, trying to see how that puts us at a disadvantage compared to Toulon, Ulster, Leicester.................

No can't see it. Sorry.
jrc wrote: Also, is it a guaranteed sell-out? The Clermont game was different because it was Christmas. The Sarries game only sold out the RDS the day before the game.
Absolutely nailed on, guaranteed, take it to the bank, beyond question, sure as night follows day, is the pope a catholic, does a bear....... etc.
jrc wrote: It's not a huge deal to me. The game will probably be in Lansdowne and I'll be there with bells on. I'm just expressing my opinion.
Express away. I am just expressing mine too. We are all Leinster fans after all. :)
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

mikey wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
mikey wrote:whilst we will know who our opponents are today, will the date and time also be announced today? - Ryanair must think they know something we dont as flights from Birmingham to Dublin that weekend have rocketed from £40 for 2 that were available on Friday, to £200 for 2 this morning - wonder who they think we will be playing??!!
O'Leary is just hedgeing. Check out the fares from East Midlands to Dublin on the same weekend. He iscovering the bases if we finish as fourth seeds and tigers to win their pool becoming fifth. Toulon are our more likely opponents (If Toulouse win).

Someone should tell him we cant be lower than third and to get the bloody prices down!
(I guess we COULD get them, but its very unlikely)...

Humm, looks like expensive flights for us then.......
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Were going to win the Cup :D . And Leinster will have two mega Lansdown Rd matches to boost their coffers. Yes I'm counting my chickens but I just cannot see them losing at home. Also with both matches being played at Lansdown, a good chance to get a ticket to the QF and SF.

You have to play the big teams some time better off playing them at home and take care of Northampton/Ulster in the final.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Proudleinsterman wrote:Were going to win the Cup :D . And Leinster will have two mega Lansdown Rd matches to boost their coffers. Yes I'm counting my chickens but I just cannot see them losing at home. Also with both matches being played at Lansdown, a good chance to get a ticket to the QF and SF.

You have to play the big teams some time better off playing them at home and take care of Northampton/Ulster in the final.
To the best of my knowledge, the gate from the semi's go to the ERC.
LEINSTER pour toujours
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Aviva - the munster and ASM games were great
fitz
Bookworm

Post by fitz »

Even if there's a tiny better chance of Leinster winning in the RDS and securing an Aviva semi (which I believe there is), then surely the QF should be played in the RDS?

From a less logical perspective, I have bad memories of Leicester in LR but good ones in the RDS!

RDS for QF please!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

I cannot see the branch turning down the payday of Lansdowne - and if that money could go to keeping Sexton and Heaslip, then thats fine by me......but, I guess the costs of putting the game on are higher, and the IRFU will take a slice for the use of the ground, but maybe that too ca pay our boys what they need to stay!

Head says Lansdowne, heart does say RDS.....
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

We have a better chance of winning in the RDS. Can't see it being there though. Just have to make sure I dont end up in the North stand. Stick the Leicester fans there!
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
Beanbag
Learner

Post by Beanbag »

In favour of the RDS - means fewer Leicester fans can be there oh how selfish of me!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mikey wrote:I cannot see the branch turning down the payday of Lansdowne - and if that money could go to keeping Sexton and Heaslip, then thats fine by me......but, I guess the costs of putting the game on are higher, and the IRFU will take a slice for the use of the ground, but maybe that too ca pay our boys what they need to stay!

No, cheaper to have it in Lansdowne. Don't forget the RDS get a slice too.

There is no reason at all to even consider the RDS. Even for a second.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
mikey wrote:I cannot see the branch turning down the payday of Lansdowne - and if that money could go to keeping Sexton and Heaslip, then thats fine by me......but, I guess the costs of putting the game on are higher, and the IRFU will take a slice for the use of the ground, but maybe that too ca pay our boys what they need to stay!

I have no preference either way. But there is one minor reason to consider the RDS.

Its our home ground.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:

I have no preference either way. But there is one minor reason to consider the RDS.

Its our home ground.
We have played in Lansdowne rd a lot longer. 5 years in the RDS. Not even a consecutive 5 years. We played in D'Brook in 06 07.

From a selfish pov it doesn't bother me either way. (Not suggesting that anyone is being selfish in suggesting the RDS either) But I would prefer Lansdowne for many other reasons. Also I would drop dead with shock if Leinster Rugby would even consider the RDS.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Just said on Six One that it's in the Aviva.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Think we've a better chance of winning in the RDS, but more people will be able to see it if we go the AVIVA. AVIVA wins for me so (but either way I won't be disappointed)
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

We may well be contractually obliged to play the game in the RDS. We may have undertaken to play QTRS in RDS in our lease and therefore may have to buy that element out from the RDS to accomodate a move!!
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Donny B. wrote: That's all us filthy peasant terrace dwellers ask.
We will organise showers for you guys before entering the 'grand' seats.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

We've come an awful long way since the Q/F in 2005.
Leicester are a tough team but we can and have beaten them before.
We have an extremely strong panel and the pitch in LR should suit our expansive game.
Leicester are not hitting top form yet this season and are grinding out the wins. We can also grind out the wins but have a spark that they don't have in the backs.
It's winnable but not as winnable as other potential opponents.
There's no easy route to winning the HEC but at least we have home draws.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

ror wrote:We may well be contractually obliged to play the game in the RDS. We may have undertaken to play QTRS in RDS in our lease and therefore may have to buy that element out from the RDS to accomodate a move!!
dont know? but the italian teams coming into the ML meant we could move two games to the aviva, hence munster & ASM. Doubt we would have contracted something out of our control, ie it assumes we would get to a QF.

The bottom line is that the aviva means more leinster fans will attend the game, while obviously more tigers will attend too but remember they are a bit tight with their money - there was feck all of them in edinburgh after having to fork out for their final in twickers, so with airprices rocketing I think that fewer may travel than we expect (albeit Dublin is a great place for the weekenders!! )