A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Aironi

Post by cormac »

ronk wrote:
cormac wrote:
The standard at ML level is way ahead of the 6N U-20 tournament, so really can't agree with your opening sentence. The only player Leinster will probably require from that level is Conway. It's also pretty clear that he's rated more highly than the likes of Morris and Keating by those at Leinster rugby, because a) he's generally been picked ahead of those two when available, and b) he's on a senior contract. He's already played a season at U-20 level so another is wasted on him. I could easily flip your argument about holding back players at Leinster level by saying his involvement at U-20 again this season is denying another player a chance.

To me the U-20 level is probably more about developing players than it is about results, and Conway is, IMO, past that level already. By all means bring him in for the World Cup at the end of the season (assuming such a player is not involved at a more senior level) but the likes of Conway will learn more in the next month by playing against Aironi, Cardiff, Treviso and Scarlets. I'd apply the same argument to Gilroy at the moment too. Not too sure that there are any more in the current U-20 side who'd merit it at the moment.
Playing at a higher level isn't always beneficial. Young players need their chances but it can stifle them too. Otherwise what's the point of U20s at all, couldn't they just play AIL/B&I rugby with senior players. Conway won't miss out through playing a few U20 games, he'll get more gametime there and can still play for us later in the season. Morris and Keating probably need Leinster squad time more and players develop at different paces, at the start of the season some fans were starting to write off McFadden.

It's not like Conway is the only player who could be playing provincial rugby, winning at U20 level means something, raising the standard is better for everyone in the squad, especially the ones who'll be around next year too.
In this country U-20 is a stepping stone between schools/youth and senior rugby. Most of the guys playing at that level would really struggle at ML level so are better off remaining in the under-age. Occasionally we get players who are good enough to skip that level. Conway is one of those. Luke Fitzgerald's development wasn't stifled by missing out on the U-20 grand slam in 2007, I can't imagine that Conway's will be either.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote:
In this country U-20 is a stepping stone between schools/youth and senior rugby. Most of the guys playing at that level would really struggle at ML level so are better off remaining in the under-age. Occasionally we get players who are good enough to skip that level. Conway is one of those. Luke Fitzgerald's development wasn't stifled by missing out on the U-20 grand slam in 2007, I can't imagine that Conway's will be either.
Luke played 18 matches for Leinster (despite injuries) and 2 internationals within a year of leaving school. He got 3 HC caps and started 4 Leinster matches in September straight out of school. Conway has yet to play in the Heineken Cup, I'm not saying one is better than the other but Fitzgerald was ready sooner.

Conway is a talent but I think he can benefit from playing U20s for a month or two.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of Thursday night's Magners League clash against Aironi Rugby in the RDS (KO: 7.05pm)...
Thursday’s game is the first ever encounter between the two teams since the Italian side’s entry into the Magners League this season and Leinster look set to welcome back several players who were involved in the Ireland Wolfhounds victory over England last weekend such as Isaac Boss, David Kearney, Eoin O’Malley and Dominic Ryan.
There is also the possibility of one or two other players being released from the larger Ireland squad, such as Devin Toner and/or Kevin McLaughlin.

Though the province will be without their Ireland internationals, Isa Nacewa - whose 113 points in this year’s competition leaves him in fourth place in the Magners League’s top points scorers list (16 behind Ospreys out-half Dan Biggar) – is available for selection alongside the likes of Richardt Strauss and Springbok prop Heinke van der Merwe who was a replacement in the province’s last game, the 36-11 victory away to Racing Métro 92.

In addition, several players who featured in the recent British & Irish Cup victories over Worcester Warriors and Currie could be in contention with Andrew Conway (who has scored six tries in five games in the B&I Cup to date) in the mix after featuring in the Ireland Under-20’s victory in Italy last weekend.

Stan Wright (Achilles) continues his rehabilitation and the medical team are pleased with his progress and are hopeful that he will be in line to return to action in the coming weeks. :D
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

All a bit up in the air until we see a squad

Hank The Tank
JHW
Clint
Toner
Ed O'D/Eoin Sheriff
Kev/Ruddock
D Ryan
Stephen Keogh

Boss
Madigan
D Kearney
Berne
O'Malley
Conway
Isa

Strauss
Jack McGrath
Maguire
Eoin Sheriff/Flanagan
R or C Ruddock
Paul O'D
McKinley
Keating/Morris/Sheridan

No rest for Isa or Strauss anyway.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

It will be interesting to see more than 10 minutes of Clint. Hope he bears up, in every sense!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I feel like I am in Munster from a TH perspective.

Both remaining THs are 6'5"

They must be great around the park :wink:
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

johng wrote:

And in the lineout... :wink: :wink:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

crisco10 wrote:
johng wrote:

And in the lineout... :wink: :wink:
Sure Clint can lift Eoin Sheriff on his own!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scott wrote:The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of Thursday night's Magners League clash against Aironi Rugby in the RDS (KO: 7.05pm)...
Thursday’s game is the first ever encounter between the two teams since the Italian side’s entry into the Magners League this season and Leinster look set to welcome back several players who were involved in the Ireland Wolfhounds victory over England last weekend such as Isaac Boss, David Kearney, Eoin O’Malley and Dominic Ryan.
There is also the possibility of one or two other players being released from the larger Ireland squad, such as Devin Toner and/or Kevin McLaughlin.

Though the province will be without their Ireland internationals, Isa Nacewa - whose 113 points in this year’s competition leaves him in fourth place in the Magners League’s top points scorers list (16 behind Ospreys out-half Dan Biggar) – is available for selection alongside the likes of Richardt Strauss and Springbok prop Heinke van der Merwe who was a replacement in the province’s last game, the 36-11 victory away to Racing Métro 92.

In addition, several players who featured in the recent British & Irish Cup victories over Worcester Warriors and Currie could be in contention with Andrew Conway (who has scored six tries in five games in the B&I Cup to date) in the mix after featuring in the Ireland Under-20’s victory in Italy last weekend.

Stan Wright (Achilles) continues his rehabilitation and the medical team are pleased with his progress and are hopeful that he will be in line to return to action in the coming weeks. :D
Good to see some common sense on Conway.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Nacewa
Conway
O'Malley
Berne
Dave Kearney
Madigan
Boss
VDM
Strauss
Newland (would like one of the young props to be given a shot, though)
EOD
Toner
McLaughlin
D Ryan
Keogh
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Not sure if Stephen Keogh is fit. Didn't play in the B&i Cup against Currie a few weeks back. Saw him after and asked him what the story was and he said he had a calf injury which would keep him out for "a few weeks" so he might be touch and go for Thursday.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

cormac wrote:
Scott wrote:The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of Thursday night's Magners League clash against Aironi Rugby in the RDS (KO: 7.05pm)...

Good to see some common sense on Conway.
I presume the U20s game v France on Friday will take precedence? If so that would rule out the likes of Conway & Kearney for our game v Aironi on Thursday?
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Mauler wrote:
I presume the U20s game v France on Friday will take precedence? If so that would rule out the likes of Conway & Kearney for our game v Aironi on Thursday?
Kearney is 21, he wasn't even playing for the U20s last season.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

ronk wrote:
Mauler wrote:
Kearney is 21, he wasn't even playing for the U20s last season.
Whoops sorry I saw the U20 team sheet from last weekend and mis-read Michael Kearney as David.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

MarkyDeSad wrote:It will be interesting to see more than 10 minutes of Clint. Hope he bears up, in every sense!
I really want him to make my day....but you just dont know if he will be good, bad or ugly, and to think for a few dollars more we could have signed someone else, but putting himself in the line of fire as he's done shows him to be anything bu the rookie.

In a perfect world his sudden impact would see him running the gauntlet of the scrum, walking a tightrope between brute (magnum) force and a pale (rider) imitation of a prop forward, perhaps to be seen in a pink cadillac.

I say go for it clint, any which way you can.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Not sure if Stephen Keogh is fit. Didn't play in the B&i Cup against Currie a few weeks back. Saw him after and asked him what the story was and he said he had a calf injury which would keep him out for "a few weeks" so he might be touch and go for Thursday.
Could well see Kev at 8 so. I'm amazed that they would release him. Seeing as they are short of tail jumpers in the Ireland team.
Perhaps his release depends on Heaslip or Ferris making it?

Is Ed O'D fit? Him and Toner would be my choice for 2nd row if he is.

Also, no mention of releasing Ruddock. Surely they will have to name a team today?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

As it's a Sunday game, Ireland team won't be named until tomorrow.

Kev wasn't named in the extended squad though was he?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

RUGBY: THE FIXTURE clash between the Magners League and the Six Nations means the majority of the Ireland Under-20s backline will be unavailable to coach Mike Ruddock for the meeting with France in Athlone on Friday.

Leinster have recalled winger Andrew Conway and centre Brendan Macken, both of whom were part of the under-20 squad that won last year’s championship. Ulster are also due to select winger Craig Gilroy and possibly even centre Luke Marshall.

Either way, Ruddock is planning to be without all four players who featured in the weekend’s 28-9 defeat of Italy. Gilroy continued his prolific return this season with two tries in Parma and seems certain to feature against the Ospreys on Sunday at Liberty Stadium.

“The directive, as it stands, is the Magners League takes precedence,” Ruddock confirmed. “As a result we will be without some key players and there are injuries too.

Meanwhile, Leinster coach Joe Schmidt welcomed Isaac Boss, David Kearney, Eoin O’Malley and Dominic Ryan back from the Irish Wolfhounds camp and remains confident Rhys Ruddock, Kevin McLaughlin and possibly Devin Toner will also be available for selection.

“Kev desperately needs game time,” said Schmidt. “I think he has played three or four games so far this season. I know that he is very highly rated by the national panel but it is just a case of more game time. I’d hope he would be available to us; we’ll be able to confirm that tomorrow (today).”

Shane Horgan and Rob Kearney (knees) remain in rehabilitation while Nathan Hines is in the Scottish camp but Stanley Wright is poised to return for the trip to Cardiff on February 19th.

“We just got to get on with it. The positive to take from it is come the World Cup later this year we will have more players who have been exposed to international rugby.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

As it's a Thursday game, I'd expect them to name a Leinster team today. Ireland could wait til Friday.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Stan for cardiff!!!!!
Oh yesssssssss!!!!

That's the only birthday present I need.

Edit: Stupid predictive phone chyte.
Last edited by johng on February 8th, 2011, 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.