Cardiff v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Cardiff v Leinster

Post by Hickiefan »

mikey wrote:It was a disappointing game to say the least, but i'd like to thank the Cardiff fans for their most sporting and warm companionship for the game - how I enjoyed the cries of 'you cheating micks'...lovely, just lovely.
Some shocking stuff on their official supporters club twitter last night too. :roll:
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Hickiefan wrote:
mikey wrote:It was a disappointing game to say the least, but i'd like to thank the Cardiff fans for their most sporting and warm companionship for the game - how I enjoyed the cries of 'you cheating micks'...lovely, just lovely.
Some shocking stuff on their official supporters club twitter last night too. :roll:
I was tempted to shout back something even more racist, but decided diplomatically not to bother!

It was funny - they were heckling a couple who were sat right by us as they got up to leave with about 8 minutes to go - the usual, bye bye, see you next year - and as Aisling pointed out to them - they were THEIR fans.

really, not nice folks at all - wonder does it stem from playing in a puff ball stadium, or is it just that Cardiff fans are tossers?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mikey wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:
I was tempted to shout back something even more racist, but decided diplomatically not to bother!

It was funny - they were heckling a couple who were sat right by us as they got up to leave with about 8 minutes to go - the usual, bye bye, see you next year - and as Aisling pointed out to them - they were THEIR fans.

really, not nice folks at all - wonder does it stem from playing in a puff ball stadium, or is it just that Cardiff fans are tossers?
No, its just that they are Welsh.

In 6 nations terms they are my least favourite visitors. Give me the English over them any day of the week.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

mikey wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:

Whilst I agree in general, there was a couple of nice folks there too. Man with son in front seemed a decent chap, it was mainly that lovely woman behind who was causing the bother. She was pretty chavtastic
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Seems true to form. Horrible city, horrible team, horrible fans!

It's one away trip I never mind missing!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

the spoofer wrote:

In 6 nations terms they are my least favourite visitors. Give me the English over them any day of the week.
To be fair, any time we've been in Llanelli, we've been looked after superbly and it's one of the best away trips of the year. Newport and Swansea are alright too. It's just the Cardiff fans who are singularly the most aggressive, unfriendly mob I've ever come across on my travels. Think there's been infiltration from the soccer mob tbh.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Donny B. wrote:
the spoofer wrote:

To be fair, any time we've been in Llanelli, we've been looked after superbly and it's one of the best away trips of the year. Newport and Swansea are alright too. It's just the Cardiff fans who are singularly the most aggressive, unfriendly mob I've ever come across on my travels. Think there's been infiltration from the soccer mob tbh.

Would agree with that one - the Scarlets trip is good and the banter pretty decent, but seems to just deteriorate the further East you head!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The vast majority of Welsh fans I've come across have been great craic. The Scarlets fans have been terrific hosts whenever I've gone over and the Ospreys I've come across were a good lot as well.

Haven't been to a Cardiff match away yet and I have to wonder why the reception would be so different :?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ambid
Learner

Post by ambid »

mikey wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:

Sorry you had a bad visit. What's wrong with their stadium though? Looks alright on tv, if pretty empty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Q. What do you say to a Cardiff player with a Heineken Cup medal?
A. Stop Thief!

Q. What do you say to a Cardiff player without a Heineken Cup medal?
A. So how long have you played for Cardiff Blues?
I have Bumbleflex
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

mikey wrote:
Hickiefan wrote:

Last time I was there, in the Arms Park 2008/9, we had the same problem. After trying unsuccessfully to wind me up, for most of the match, one twatt even tried to pick a fight with me.

Scarlets & Newport are much better trips.
T - 45
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Dave Cahill wrote:Q. What do you say to a Cardiff player with a Heineken Cup medal?
A. Stop Thief!

Quality..... :happy clapper:

I guess when they abuse their own fellow fans it was only going to get worse from there!.....still, the plus side is that its a year till I have to go back to that ground. (note the careful use of the word ground....mocker gods please forgive my sins)
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

mikey wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Q. What do you say to a Cardiff player with a Heineken Cup medal?
A. Stop Thief!

Quality..... :happy clapper:

I guess when they abuse their own fellow fans it was only going to get worse from there!.....still, the plus side is that its a year till I have to go back to that ground. (note the careful use of the word ground....mocker gods please forgive my sins)
Sounds terrible! I have to admit I've never been to a game in Cardiff, mainly because I've been told by those who have gone, without exception, that they encountered the most unpleasant bunch of rugby supporters ever, club or international. Not really on my to do list.
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Of all the options we had when Sheridan was injured, putting Boss into the centre was not one I expected. But if he's a useful option there, we just added depth to the bench, and I thought he did okay.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

There's a couple of things that worry me... not particularly the result, as pointed out above, we'll cruise to the top 4.
Strauss looks tired and has had a couple of bad games. I know the rotation is sorted for next year, but I worry for the rest of this season that he's playing too much.
We need more options in the rows. I'm sorry, but Toner offers practically nothing! He even got out jumped in a lineout! He has no hands, no aggression, no dynamism and never drives the player back in the tackle.
Yes, the backs were pretty poor tonight, but I'm taking these games this year as building the players for next year. They were highly inexperienced and had a badly off form Boss throwing balls behind them, above them, beside them, below them and occasionally just for a surprise, at them. I'd like to see our wingers brought into play more, but there wasn't really any space in midfield to bring them into play tonight.
I thought D. Ryan put in a highly effective shift. He's not a 7 yet, he's not a hollywood player either, but his tackle count was huge and it seemed like it was a toss up between him and Clint for first to the breakdown every time. We all know Clint is a worry in the scrum, this is hardly news... but he wasn't that bad, he survived and iirc only gave up one penalty. He has started impressing me about the park though. For such a big guy he puts in serious work and is fast to the breakdown. He doesn't seem to be interested in making the big play, just in doing a props job about the park, securing ball, fighting for ball and being a rock in the pillar... a bit like VDM (though VDM can scrummage).
McKinley looked better than a first start this year, though thought Madigan looked more assured when he came on (confidence built from playing a bit this year?).

STANS BACK!!!!!!!!!! Himself and Healy coming on as second half subs (once Rosser and VDM have sapped all the energy out of the oppo scrum) will be massive! He was hitting everything so hard I worried he was going to get binned! He looked delighted to be back in blue (figuratively).

I guess we just have to draw a line in the sand after these performances and move on. It's worth remembering we have three outside backs that would be starting if fit on the injured list (Berne, Shaggy and Kearney... actually possibly 4 if both Kearneys are injured)... these would be very different games if they were here (and if R Kearney was with Ireland, I assume we'd have McFadden).
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Incredibly frustrating game. Really left a point behind us there and we need it given how tight things are. McKinley was a bright spot for me. Despite having a pack that was all over the place and a 9 passing the ball with the precision of a spud gun he did alright. His defence was the highlight. Smashed a few people in the tackle and looked willing and hungry for work. His kicking game was mixed but you could see in bits that the raw talent is there. The kick from behind his own posts is one that any outhalf in the world would have been happy with. Also looked eager to test the defence with his running. His passing needs to be slicker but it's hard to judge him on that given the players around him and the service he was getting.

HarpinOnRugby
Bookworm

Post by HarpinOnRugby »

A. Stop Thief!

Bravo!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

If I had to pick a back up 10 for next season between McKinley & Madigan, I would pick McKinley he looks to have a bright future ahead and has all the tools to get to the top.

Toner in my opinion won't cut it at the very top. He will be at best a squad player.

The one thing that I did agree with FS in his commentary was that we did not try and counter Cardiffs very experienced back row we knew that they would contest every breakdown but we didn't protect the ball enough by commiting so few to the breakdown. This was a horses for courses type of game and we should have adjusted earlier. As said before very dissapointed not to get a loosing bonus from an average Cardiff team on the night.
Daithí Mac
Knowledgeable

Post by Daithí Mac »

The few bits of gametime that McKinley got under Cheika I thought he grasped with both hands, I was quite shocked to see that Madigan was so clearly Smidhts favoured young outhalf. I would have to guess this had something with McKinley needing time to regain form and confidence after the eye injury, but they are both excellent options going forward. I think that the way squads are growing we will need a much stronger A league for the big teams at least, these guys need a higher level of gametime than AIL, and Leinster won't want them running off to get it.
Vayan los azules!!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

ceemec wrote:Incredibly frustrating game. Really left a point behind us there and we need it given how tight things are. McKinley was a bright spot for me. Despite having a pack that was all over the place and a 9 passing the ball with the precision of a spud gun he did alright. His defence was the highlight. Smashed a few people in the tackle and looked willing and hungry for work. His kicking game was mixed but you could see in bits that the raw talent is there. The kick from behind his own posts is one that any outhalf in the world would have been happy with. Also looked eager to test the defence with his running. His passing needs to be slicker but it's hard to judge him on that given the players around him and the service he was getting.

Agree ceemec.

I thought Cardiff played great. I know it was negative and their fans are knackers but you beat Leinster by declaring a dirty war and that's what Cardiff did.

We didn't respond to the refs decision to make the breakdown a free for all, which was a bit naive, but there were a lot of positives, incl McKinley. I agree with the poster about Clints work in the loose, I mentioned it before that he gets around the park like an openside!

If O'Malley is going to play 12, he's going to have to learn how to pass the ball. His distribution is non existent. He does make breaks but there are times when the ball needs width, never more so than to avoid the cardiff pack.