Cheika adds final item

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

I genuinely hope the poster was joking about pushing cars up hills, what kind of cars incidentally?
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

JoseFantastique wrote:Please don't insult the classic series of Rocky films by comparing them to Leinster, well maybe Rocky V.
Errrr, I think it was you that did that, Francie...
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Please tell me the poster isn't serious about pushing cars up hill Jezzer, please? These guys are top athletes, not the Ugandian weightlifting team from 1959
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Jose,

It wasn't Drico that kept dropping the ball from tiredness against the ABs - that was a Munsterman.

Fitness is one area we are ahead of the other provinces - if you want to take the mickey out of our pathological dislike for taking penalties that are in front of the posts in HEC semi-finals, I'd have more trouble coming back to you on that!
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Yeah, cause O'Connell was completely match fit for that game! I'm not criticising Leinster's fitness, but I certainly am less then impressed with this pushcar theory. I wonder did the players feel last seasons boxing stood to them? (seriously)
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

all very strange considering munster have our ex-fitness coach - was considered a bit of an inter-provincial coup at the time I think
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

I'd be having trouble buying the story about the cars too, Jose- unless it was a pisstake at the end of a session.

I know that Moss Keane's training regimen always involved lifting his wife's Mini (oooh err missus) off the ground in their driveway.

Times have moved on a tad, though...

on your query, I believe the boxing was a big hit (boom! boom!) and that it is one of the best way s of improving fitness, strength and assisting conditioning.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Well, I don’t know how true or untrue the car pushing is. All I know is what my mate told me, and I would have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him. And if this was brought into the training regime then well and good. Who are we to argue with Cheika and Knoxy
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Mauler wrote:Well, I don’t know how true or untrue the car pushing is. All I know is what my mate told me, and I would have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him. And if this was brought into the training regime then well and good. Who are we to argue with Cheika and Knoxy
I'm going to storm in to number 55 and DEMAND an explanation. 8)
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Im sure it would not be the first time CKav! :D
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

ckav wrote:
Mauler wrote:Well, I don’t know how true or untrue the car pushing is. All I know is what my mate told me, and I would have absolutely no reason to disbelieve him. And if this was brought into the training regime then well and good. Who are we to argue with Cheika and Knoxy
I'm going to storm in to number 55 and DEMAND an explanation. 8)

Fetch me my Mont Blanc...... :lol:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Mauler wrote:Im sure it would not be the first time CKav! :D
I don't know what you mean.
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

JoseFantastique wrote:I genuinely hope the poster was joking about pushing cars up hills, what kind of cars incidentally?

X5.......
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Probaly Drico's Lexus jeep
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Considering the concept of a scrummaging machine, I think the all round body strength required to push cars around would be an excellent workout. Most weight training/gym work targets specific areas, with limited time not all muscles can be worked - very few exercises require all round strength and stamina. Not only would the action of pushing cars be similar to the strength required in rucks/mauls, but it has a mental stimulation as it is a bit different, perhaps even funny - that is often the secret of successful pre-seasons where the workouts required can be very mundane and lead to mental fatigue later in the season.

I applaud the idea if it is true 8)
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

But what about the littler lads...can't see the backs heaving the cars up a mountain...Super Rob might get hurt...no neigh never!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Just going back to the Vermaas signing, I notice Duff has been trying to get some more info on him from the PR site, with not a lot of joy. Bit of an unknown quantity. Won't steal Duff's thunder on the feedback, but seems as if he's got plenty of pace and aggression. Did a bit of a search myself and in the absence of an English-Afrikaans translator on Babelfish, all I could get is that he was on the way up in the Bulls but has a few very good guys in the queue ahead of him. Seems to have scored a few tries for the Baby Boks and the Bulls and I've found one yellow card for punching a guy who also got yellow (apparently the other guy started it! Ended getting sent off with 4 others in a mass brawl! Aaaah Saffie rugby.... :twisted: )

So, very sketchy but seems he's a big muscular guy who tends to play LHP but can throw in (Birch, you're off the hook). Good for crash ball and finding the tryline and can look after himself. If the reality is up to snuff, it looks as though he ticks a lot of the boxes we wanted for this season.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

[quote="jezzer"]Just going back to the Vermaas signing, I notice Duff has been trying to get some more info on him from the PR site, with not a lot of joy. Bit of an unknown quantity. Won't steal Duff's thunder on the feedback, but seems as if he's got plenty of pace and aggression. Did a bit of a search myself and in the absence of an English-Afrikaans translator on Babelfish, all I could get is that he was on the way up in the Bulls but has a few very good guys in the queue ahead of him.[quote]
Try Dutch/Nederlands to English - you might have some success
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

tried that. All I learned is how many words are different in Afrikaans from Dutch!
Witchfinder general
Graduate

Post by Witchfinder general »

Vermass is exactly the sort of signing we have all been calling for and anyone who can get on to the baby boks will certainly be good enough for the celtic league at least as compettion in the front row places is huge in SA, maybe thats because they let thier underage teams scrummage properly.