Cheika adds final item

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Cheika adds final item

Post by BlueBlue »

Cheika recently ticked the final item on his summer shopping list by signing the former South African under-21 hooker Harry Vermaas. The 22-year-old played for the leading provincial side Blue Bulls last season and is equally adept at loosehead prop.

The former Leinster outhalf Andy Dunne is back training with the province after three years with Harlequins and Bath in the English premiership.

The former Munster backrow Stephen Keogh and the retired Australian internationals Owen Finegan and Chris Whitaker have also joined pre-season training.

The frontline internationals return to training this weekend.

Coach Cheika, however, is particularly impressed with the younger arrivals: "Andy Dunne is doing well having come in off his own bat. Stephen Keogh has been impressive, while Owen and Chris have fitted straight in, but it is the new development players like Luke Fitzgerald and Ross McCarron that have really impressed."
:shock: :D :D :D
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Cheika adds final item

Post by Darce »

BlueBlue wrote:Cheika recently ticked the final item on his summer shopping list by signing the former South African under-21 hooker Harry Vermaas. The 22-year-old played for the leading provincial side Blue Bulls last season and is equally adept at loosehead prop.

The former Leinster outhalf Andy Dunne is back training with the province after three years with Harlequins and Bath in the English premiership.

The former Munster backrow Stephen Keogh and the retired Australian internationals Owen Finegan and Chris Whitaker have also joined pre-season training.

Coach Cheika, however, is particularly impressed with the younger arrivals: "Andy Dunne is doing well having come in off his own bat. Stephen Keogh has been impressive, while Owen and Chris have fitted straight in, but it is the new development players like Luke Fitzgerald and Ross McCarron that have really impressed."
I like the sounds of this
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Cheika adds final item

Post by Darce »

BlueBlue wrote:Cheika recently ticked the final item on his summer shopping list by signing the former South African under-21 hooker Harry Vermaas. The 22-year-old played for the leading provincial side Blue Bulls last season and is equally adept at loosehead prop.

I like the sounds of this. The Blue Bulls are a big big side in terms of physicality. Hopefully he'll do well for us and fit right in.

Good to hear Dunners is back doing well too
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Harry Vermaas

Position: Prop / Hooker

Height: 1,78m

Weight: 114kg

Date of Birth: 23/1/1984

Provincial Debut 2005 (vs. WP)

Provincial Caps 22

Provincial Points 20

Vermaas is one of the Blue Bulls youngsters who has improved the most over the last year. He did not only earn his first caps for the senior side, but was also chosen for the SA under-21 side. In addition to being a great prop forward, Vermaas is also an accomplished hooker.

- Vermaas is listed on the Bulls website in it's Currie Cup squad rather than that for the Super 14 and South African sites are reporting that he will be playing in Ireland for "a few months" only.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Sounds like a handy man to have around the squad.

Big fella too.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Playing Position: Loose head prop

Club: Tukkies

Honours:

Nike All Stars U16 2000

Blue Bulls Craven Week U18 2002

Blue Bulls U20 2003/4

Blue Bulls Vodacom Cup 2005

SA U21 2005
Blue Bulls U21 2005
Blue Bulls Vodacom and Currie Cup 2005

Full Name Cornelius Hermanus
Nick Name Harry
Surname Vermaas
Height 178cm
Weight 109kg
Birth Date 1/23/1984
Birth City Klerksdorp
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Donny Brooke wrote:Sounds like a handy man to have around the squad.

Big fella too.
Handy alright. There are not too many around who claim to be able to play right across the front-row.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Donny Brooke wrote:Sounds like a handy man to have around the squad.

Big fella too.
To quote Withnail:

"Look at the size of his orb. His head must weigh 50lbs on its on...Imagine getting into a fight with the fecker".
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

It was only a matter of time before Phil Jupitus got pissed off with "Buzzcocks" and started using his bulk in a positive way. :lol:

Great signing.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Duke Raoul wrote:Harry Vermaas

Provincial Caps 22

Provincial Points 20

Vermaas is one of the Blue Bulls youngsters who has improved the most over the last year. He did not only earn his first caps for the senior side, but was also chosen for the SA under-21 side. In addition to being a great prop forward, Vermaas is also an accomplished hooker.

- Vermaas is listed on the Bulls website in it's Currie Cup squad rather than that for the Super 14 and South African sites are reporting that he will be playing in Ireland for "a few months" only.
This i dont like. Would have liked a long term signing
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Darce wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:Harry Vermaas

Provincial Caps 22

Provincial Points 20

This i dont like. Would have liked a long term signing
Is this along the lines of the Lomu thing, come over to this part of the world for experience or fitness?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
CulchieAbroad
Knowledgeable

Post by CulchieAbroad »

Hmm, I like the signing but I'm not sure about the "few months" thing, that might just be for domestic consumption. I'd imagine the management know what they are doing, like when Jowitt just happened to be backpacking around Europe....
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

CulchieAbroad wrote:Hmm, I like the signing but I'm not sure about the "few months" thing, that might just be for domestic consumption. I'd imagine the management know what they are doing, like when Jowitt just happened to be backpacking around Europe....
He was on trial with leinster over the last month or so , I think that it referrs to that. I have asked breener on the official site to confirm how long his contract is.
ktf.
Mullet

Post by ktf. »

Its good to see Andy back as we do really need a good back up.

AS for the Saffa prop i am going to hold out judgement untill i see him play as there as often been a great white hype in the proping department.

But yea things are looking a bit better.
Your my boy Blue!!!!!!!!
CulchieAbroad
Knowledgeable

Post by CulchieAbroad »

BlueBlue wrote:
CulchieAbroad wrote:Hmm, I like the signing but I'm not sure about the "few months" thing, that might just be for domestic consumption. I'd imagine the management know what they are doing, like when Jowitt just happened to be backpacking around Europe....
He was on trial with leinster over the last month or so , I think that it referrs to that. I have asked breener on the official site to confirm how long his contract is.
Fair enough. I do remember in my club the days when we'd get the odd antipodean in and he seemed to shrink on the plane, at least compared to how the stats were! Looking forward to seeing him play.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Excellent stuff - a South African front row player. He won't affect the "foreigner" rule either, won't he? Aren't SA and PI players exempt from those ruls?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinsterman wrote:Excellent stuff - a South African front row player. He won't affect the "foreigner" rule either, won't he? Aren't SA and PI players exempt from those ruls?
Correct, SA is a Kolpak country
I have Bumbleflex
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

BlueBlue wrote:
You got a "No comment" BB.

Would anyone conversant in 'Breener' care to translate this one? :)

ktf.
Mullet

Post by ktf. »

thats a darn tutan in my book
Your my boy Blue!!!!!!!!
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

ktf. wrote:thats a darn tutan in my book
Would tend to agree ktf.