Nathan Hines is leaving

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

BarryP
Knowledgeable

Re: Nathan Hines is leaving

Post by BarryP »

Only thing I can say is that while Nathan is an absolute legend for us, he is getting older, and the worst that could happen would be to let the team grow old together (or vital components of it do so) - it happened with the last great Liverpool side, and with Munster to a large extent.

Speaking to Ger Smal and Leo over the past week, and they both genuinely rate this new guy Sykes - am happy to defer to their greater judgement....he's bee knocking on the door of the SA team , and Smal described him as being "hard as nails".

Re. Nathan, maybe it's better for him to burn out with us, than to fade away....
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

He has been immense for us. Absolute legend.
Will be sorry to see him go but understand the reasons for it.

Thanks Nathan. It was a pleasure watching you work...
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

I'm just delighted we can send him on his way with a winners medal (or 2 hopefully) in his pocket to show for his time with Leinster.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I think we have to trust Joe Schmidt and his team on any new guys. He may not have wanted to let Nathan go, but I'd be happy that he'd find a decent replacement.
Get in the f%~king bag.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

He has been an absolute legend for us - I would have thought his efforts worthy of a legends T-Shirt before he goes or is there not enough time for that?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Nahhhhh must be a minimum number of caps for those babies.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Was brilliant yesterday at the celebration.
Signed autographs, posed for photos and chatted away to all and sundry.
A great player and a great person.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hines was everywhere in the second half. If I was a Saints supporter I'd have nightmares about him, Heaslip and O'Brien. Terrifying display by the three of them and Hines will be sorely missed, great operator on the pitch and by all accounts a top bloke off it. Remember seeing him and Gaffney having a scoop in O'Briens on Leeson St at the end of last season and they were great craic. Massive fecker too!
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Brilliant player, he'll be a huge asset for Clermont as he looks like he's got plenty left in the tank. We were probably fortunate enough to get him in the first place as it seems O'Driscoll encouraged him to sign when on the Lions tour. He's got great hands and his time in France seemed to have him well used to the offloading game. He's a powerful player and seems to be able to make a nusience of himself without getting into trouble often. The try on Saturday was a fine way to cap it off, it doesn't get much better than that. It was good of Sexton to allow him to score it!

He'll be sorely missed when he goes. One last big game to come though, he'll be fired up!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Quality from day 1.

A big void when he leaves. :(
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have just been reading back over this thered.

Of course it is shockin shame to lose Hines. The man is Awesome. But it is just one of the downsides of the way Irish rugby is structured. There are MASSIVE up sides.

Not least of which is that Drico, Darce, Sexton, Ross, Healy, Jamie, SOB, Luke, Kearney, Redan, Cronin, Possibly Leo, and a few others are paid for out of the IRFU budget, and do not have to be paid by Leinster.

The player resting scenario is annoying at times, but it also means all the above players went into the HC final having played up to 10 games less than their counterparts in NH.

Added to that we got to see 50 players in the season, which gives the next wave of Leinster and Ireland players a chance to shine and advance their careers.

From a Leinster perspective, it has developed a really strong squad behind the players above, who are ready for battle.

In no particular order. Kev, McFadden, O'Malley, Dominic Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Andrew Conway, Brendan Macken, Dave Kearney, Ian Madigan, Ian McKinley, Jack McGrath, Jason Harris Wright.

Add to that our 6 x NIQ. Isa, Strauss, Sykes, Berquist, Hank the Tank and of course Stan (or his replacement) and the fact that we have a space as project player when Strauss qualifies in a year, that Sykes can take up. We can loose an NIQ spot without losing a player.

Add super non centrally contracted players like Shaggy, Jeno, Boss, Carr, Browne, Toner, and you have some squad.

We also have 2 2nd rows who did not get much of a look in this year for whatever reason, but may come good. O'Donoghue and Sheriff, and 3 more in the Academy. Plenty of good players going into 2nd year academy, and a queue forming for new intake.

The one thing I had not noticed on previous readings was Jezzer saying that Joe may be unhappy enough with the Hines situation to be open to offers for coaching jobs. (at least I think that's what he said)

While I would rate Jezzer as generally more knowledgeable than me, I would have to strongly disagree.

Even if we had not just won the HC, Joe would (IMHO) have been jumping with joy at the prospect of being Leinster coach for another few years. The squad are similarly happy with his input, as I'm sure every fan is too.

All in all, the point is that the system that denies us another year of Hines, has delivered us all these great things.

Moaning about it is like moaning about losing 200 bills when you just got 200 grand.

Also, awesome and all as Hines is, he has another year at the top. Then he will be on the slide to some degree. Sykes may not be Hines now, but he may be close in his 2nd year given that Hines will be another year older and slower, while Sykes is coming into his prime.

I would bet that Hines would not have got the 2 years that he now has in Clermont if Leinster had been allowed re sign him. He would have got 1.

Very sad to see him go. But happy with the system that caused it, on balance.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

A brilliant, brilliant signing by Cheika and the PTMC. Played 45 games for Leinster in 2 seasons, including 17 Heineken Cup games and always played a very, very hard game ... but had sensationally good hands for such a big, strong and aggressive player. Wasn't the penalty machine many feared, either!

Going to be very, very difficult to replace him. I have a lot of faith that Jonno Gibbes and Joe Schmidt can get the best out of the players Leinster sign in terms of their skills and attitude, though. Along with the excellent strength and conditioning team, I think we'll get some good showings from Sykes and Browne, both of whom are pretty fearsome physical specimens. We've gone the right route to replacing Hines, anyway – getting in two guys!

Both guys are younger [Hines is 34, Browne 31 and Sykes 26] without being neophytes, neither guy will be called up for international rugby, and both of them are physically very strong and aggressive.

Still, it's a massive act to follow. Delighted that Hines got his first try in Leinster colours in the final - hopefully he bags his second in another final!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

johng wrote:I
The one thing I had not noticed on previous readings was Jezzer saying that Joe may be unhappy enough with the Hines situation to be open to offers for coaching jobs. (at least I think that's what he said)

While I would rate Jezzer as generally more knowledgeable than me, I would have to strongly disagree.

Even if we had not just won the HC, Joe would (IMHO) have been jumping with joy at the prospect of being Leinster coach for another few years. The squad are similarly happy with his input, as I'm sure every fan is too.

All in all, the point is that the system that denies us another year of Hines, has delivered us all these great things.

Moaning about it is like moaning about losing 200 bills when you just got 200 grand.

Also, awesome and all as Hines is, he has another year at the top. Then he will be on the slide to some degree. Sykes may not be Hines now, but he may be close in his 2nd year given that Hines will be another year older and slower, while Sykes is coming into his prime.

I would bet that Hines would not have got the 2 years that he now has in Clermont if Leinster had been allowed re sign him. He would have got 1.

Wasn't me, John and I think you're seriously overestimating my "knowledge" there! I'm disappointed Hines is going, I thought he was close to MOTM on Sat, seriously. I wish him the very best and hope to God we don't get Clermont next season.

But I don't think Joe would eve consider resigning over something like that. He knows how the systems works by now, if he didn't when he joined. That's why we had Kev playing in the row - voices from on high whispering in Joe's shell-like...

It was an error in judgment to let Hines go, if you ask me. You just don't find ball-playing locks of his size, ability, work ethic and toughness. Sykes is not the same guy at all, nor is Browne. Maybe Joe/Jonno can coach them into Hines clones but I doubt it.
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

According to McNaughton the IRFU were not to blame for Hines lack of 2 year contract. He said it was fully a Leinster decision and that Leinster and Ireland have great hopes for Sykes.

Gutted he is leaving. Would have loved if he could have stayed and we brought Sykes in for the future. Will miss his physicallity and nous but wish him all the best in Clermont.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer wrote:
johng wrote:I

Wasn't me, John and I think you're seriously overestimating my "knowledge" there! I'm disappointed Hines is going, I thought he was close to MOTM on Sat, seriously. I wish him the very best and hope to God we don't get Clermont next season.

But I don't think Joe would eve consider resigning over something like that. He knows how the systems works by now, if he didn't when he joined. That's why we had Kev playing in the row - voices from on high whispering in Joe's shell-like...

It was an error in judgment to let Hines go, if you ask me. You just don't find ball-playing locks of his size, ability, work ethic and toughness. Sykes is not the same guy at all, nor is Browne. Maybe Joe/Jonno can coach them into Hines clones but I doubt it.
Sorry Jezzer, it was Suisse, an also very knowledgeable, if occasionally a bit mental, poster :)

I don't know if Sykes can become as good as Hines is now, pretty hard tbf, but he may end up as good as Hines will be in a year or more likely 2.

I think Browne is more of a Trevor Hogan replacement. Very good, very tough, but not world class like Hines.

I have not seen much of Sykes but he has relative youth on his side.

I have not emphasised how sad I am to see Hines go, as I was emphasising all of the good things about the structure of Irish rugby that does so much for Leinster despite it's downsides. (A huge one of which is Hines being forced out)
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

When you have big tight forwards with hands like that they're almost invaluable, because they can draw defenders like moths to a flame but then can get away the offload. Hines' combination of aggression and almost comically soft hands made him some player. I remember saying at the end of last season that it's a shame we couldn't get more from his offloading game, so top marks to Joe and co. because Hines was key to the way we played this year. Some player.

Does anyone else find it strange that he never looks quite as good for Scotland? Playing in a poor team, you'd expect him to be a huge player for them, but he wasn't great in the 6N. One nice offload for a try vs. Italy though.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

kendalgerty wrote:When you have big tight forwards with hands like that they're almost invaluable, because they can draw defenders like moths to a flame but then can get away the offload. Hines' combination of aggression and almost comically soft hands made him some player. I remember saying at the end of last season that it's a shame we couldn't get more from his offloading game, so top marks to Joe and co. because Hines was key to the way we played this year. Some player.

Does anyone else find it strange that he never looks quite as good for Scotland? Playing in a poor team, you'd expect him to be a huge player for them, but he wasn't great in the 6N. One nice offload for a try vs. Italy though.
As I said on an earlier post, I was talking to him and I got the impression that this wasn't just a job to him, he really loves Leinster. As Saturday's game showed, psycological factors play an immense role in sport and rugby.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote:We sent Rocky on his way with a HC medal in his arse pocket.

Just sayin

NICE
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
jsb
Learner

Post by jsb »

I really don't think we would currently be HEC chapmions if it wasn't for Hines. Now I know a lot of people will then say "well the same thing was said about Rocky" but for me Hines brought the exact same qualities we needed in the team that Rocky had hence why we were able to carry on at the top. The guy is just fantastic and I really am sad to see him go
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

I did not realise that was his first try for us!

He has been great for us. We will miss him next season.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian