How long left...?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TrickyDicky

How long left...?

Post by TrickyDicky »

I am concerned about the ever present Trial by TV culture that seems rampant nowadays with SKY Sports breathing down teams necks. Barnes and Dewi Morris already opened up Alan Quinlans way of winning ball at ruck time and litteraly called for refs to watch out for it as sometimes it was illegal...(or more than sometimes!). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPtc-tgJxc

Wasnt soon after this that refs were whistling Munster off the park and all of a sudden, their attacking game was not as effective, reason being that SKY literally told the world how to counter attack it and for refs to be extra vigilant at the breakdown when Munster have taken it in.

Now, the key to Leinsters excellent attack is in part due to fantastic players. But the space for these players comes from outright obstruction. Look at the Heineken final - Sextons 1st try came from Heaslip standing in the way of one of the Northampton fellas and all of a sudden, he couldnt get back to his mark and the end result was a try for Leinster.

More evidence was only last week in Thomond when Hines came out of a ruck, loitered in front of Varley and Sexton attacked the space behind Hines that Varley should have been covering. Credit Munster's defence in this instance as Mafi and Barnes closed down Johnny. But the principle still remains.

It seems that our attacking patterns are based primarily on obstructing certain defenders with our forwards and letting Nacewa or whoever blast through the (illegal) space left.

This is a sign of winning teams and I am not complaining! :D However, how long will it be until SKY pick up on this and all of a sudden, our attack isnt as effective? Winning in Cardiff will only draw attention to this fact and I fear the end will come sooner than later!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: How long left...?

Post by ronk »

The breakdown is always evolving. Munster were highlighted because they were ahead of the game in certain respects. There's always that search for an edge. This season the idea was to hold the tackled player up and trap the ball in the maul.

Munster's disciplinary problems aren't to do with refs, they're actually getting away with plenty but they're not being smart enough about it. All the stuff with Poite is hugely destructive to them, they're going too far too often when it comes to playing the ref. O'Callaghan was lucky to be on the pitch the other week and he was still trying to talk himself into worse than a yellow when he finally ran out of rope. Why blame the ref? There's no need for a conspiracy, I've played on enough mouthy teams who p1$$ off the ref enough that you can't blame him (or her) for taking a hard line.

England went through this a few years ago. The joke was going around that they trained with 14 players. Changing that took drastic measures, they brought in a ref to cover everything and they introduced an unwritten policy of immediately substituting and/or dropping players who get carded for stupidity, e.g. Ben Youngs against us this 6N.

Munster need to take drastic measures, so that it's obvious they've changed and so that players buy into it. But it takes strong leadership and that's something Munster don't have at the moment, O'Connell is too close to being a major culprit to set a good example, O'Gara is hot-headed and escalates things, the less said about Leamy --- the better.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Some gobshite behind me was spouting on about this in Thomond during the ML final. Apparaently, every wrap around move we do is highly illegal, and every single attack we make has obstruction in it. :roll:

There's a very, very fine line between obstruction and simply running your line, which you're entitled to do, and it's also incredibly hard to spot, I don't think we'll have any problems in this regard.

That wrap around move is something else though, literally undefendable when we have BOD and Darce playing.
I hope Johnny teaches Madigan and McKinley that!
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

have to say, i completely disagree with the OP. Our back lines are based primarily on obstruction? must be a WUM.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

So Dowson runs into Heaslip who's running a straight line, ergo the whole premise of our attacking system is obstruction and sharp practice.

Do me a favour mate
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

TrickyDicky wrote:I am concerned about the ever present Trial by TV culture that seems rampant nowadays with SKY Sports breathing down teams necks. Barnes and Dewi Morris already opened up Alan Quinlans way of winning ball at ruck time and litteraly called for refs to watch out for it as sometimes it was illegal...(or more than sometimes!). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPtc-tgJxc

Wasnt soon after this that refs were whistling Munster off the park and all of a sudden, their attacking game was not as effective, reason being that SKY literally told the world how to counter attack it and for refs to be extra vigilant at the breakdown when Munster have taken it in.

Now, the key to Leinsters excellent attack is in part due to fantastic players. But the space for these players comes from outright obstruction. Look at the Heineken final - Sextons 1st try came from Heaslip standing in the way of one of the Northampton fellas and all of a sudden, he couldnt get back to his mark and the end result was a try for Leinster.

More evidence was only last week in Thomond when Hines came out of a ruck, loitered in front of Varley and Sexton attacked the space behind Hines that Varley should have been covering. Credit Munster's defence in this instance as Mafi and Barnes closed down Johnny. But the principle still remains.

It seems that our attacking patterns are based primarily on obstructing certain defenders with our forwards and letting Nacewa or whoever blast through the (illegal) space left.

This is a sign of winning teams and I am not complaining! :D However, how long will it be until SKY pick up on this and all of a sudden, our attack isnt as effective? Winning in Cardiff will only draw attention to this fact and I fear the end will come sooner than later!
Yawn. The usual Munster conspiracy theory nonsense: Sky got Quinlan banned so that he'd miss the Lions and Croft would go, Sky highlighted how Munster cheated at the breakdown, a DVD showing Munster in the HEC was used by Paddy O'Brien when he was instructing refs how to legislate the new interpretations at the tackle ...
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Toulouse scored a try when Seanie was held back from getting to his line position. Saints scored a try when Shaggy was held back from getting to his line position.

Surely this one try from each team is sufficient evidence to show that Saints and Toulouse can only score tries by holding back defenders.

Nonsense theory and silly season can't be that silly already.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

How many line breaks and tries did we create this year and you've picked out 2 isolated and arguably out of context incidents to say that Leinster's entire attacking system is illegal? Only 13 weeks of Silly Season left :roll:
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

What an ignorant original post. It is so far from accurate that it isn't even worth challenging the slightest aspect of it. You made an account a couple of days ago, wrote three posts, and then come up with this bright spark thread? I assume that you are some eejit from Munster trying to cause an arguement.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CiaranIrl wrote:What an ignorant original post. It is so far from accurate that it isn't even worth challenging the slightest aspect of it. You made an account a couple of days ago, wrote three posts, and then come up with this bright spark thread? I assume that you are some eejit from Munster trying to cause an arguement.
He might be the lad who sends videos of imagined Leinster transgressions to the ERC/ML
I have Bumbleflex
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

ThickyDicky (tm LM) strikes again :lol:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Darce wrote:So Dowson runs into Heaslip who's running a straight line, ergo the whole premise of our attacking system is obstruction and sharp practice.

Do me a favour mate
He stopped though, in contravention of 10 (C), he knew exactly what he was doing.Thought it was Clark, not Dowson?

Shaggy being held by Wilson wasn't material, still should have been blown if spotted though.

Sky absolutely love De Liiiggggiiinnndddsss, the imaginary persecution complex is hilarious to behold.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

combatlogo wrote:
Darce wrote:So Dowson runs into Heaslip who's running a straight line, ergo the whole premise of our attacking system is obstruction and sharp practice.

Do me a favour mate
He stopped though, in contravention of 10 (C), he knew exactly what he was doing.Thought it was Clark, not Dowson?

Shaggy being held by Wilson wasn't material, still should have been blown if spotted though.

Sky absolutely love De Liiiggggiiinnndddsss, the imaginary persecution complex is hilarious to behold.
Shaggy being held was crucial in the build up to their try. and heaslip did run straight. yes he knew what he was doing and he was on the very edge of legality but the NH player did his best to run into him too...
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

slum wrote:
combatlogo wrote:

Do me a favour mate

Shaggy being held was crucial in the build up to their try. and heaslip did run straight. yes he knew what he was doing and he was on the very edge of legality but the NH player did his best to run into him too...
That was just another attempted late tackle on Heaslip! :wink: I think the OP is watching way too much "Sunday Game".
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian