H-Cup 2012 Fixtures

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: H-Cup 2012 Fixtures

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Think we could sell out Aviva for both Bath and Montpellier. Even if each if these teams bring a small number of their own supporters we were able to sell out Clermont (who bought a smallish number)...we've won the HC since then so we have now have access to even more (Leinster based) people who want to be part of the blue army.

Bring it on!!
We can only move two 'regular season' games though, and one would assume that Munster in the ML will be one of them (though I think I'd keep that in the RDS this year)
Could depend on the league schedule, we've played them at home in late September/early October for the last three seasons. We're also due a home Xmas game against Ulster this season, would they use that game instead?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
sheepshagger wrote:Think we could sell out Aviva for both Bath and Montpellier. Even if each if these teams bring a small number of their own supporters we were able to sell out Clermont (who bought a smallish number)...we've won the HC since then so we have now have access to even more (Leinster based) people who want to be part of the blue army.

Bring it on!!
We can only move two 'regular season' games though, and one would assume that Munster in the ML will be one of them (though I think I'd keep that in the RDS this year)
Could depend on the league schedule, we've played them at home in late September/early October for the last three seasons. We're also due a home Xmas game against Ulster this season, would they use that game instead?
You can pretty much guarantee we'll be playing Munster at home the week before the Heineken Cup starts and we'll be down in Thomond the week before the quarter-finals. That's a banker sell-out so that will be one of the games. When the other one is will depend on the schedule. They won't do two matches in a row in the Aviva, I'm guessing, so they'd probably prefer Bath at home in December or January.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

In 07-08 we played them in Cork at the end of November, it was in between the 2nd and 3rd HEC games. Wonder if this timing might happen again, although not in Cork
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

cormac wrote:In 07-08 we played them in Cork at the end of November, it was in between the 2nd and 3rd HEC games. Wonder if this timing might happen again, although not in Cork

Quite likely to happen. The whole idea of that match was to "battle harden" a lot of the players going into the first round of HEC games.
However, if a load of the players have already been at the RWC, they should be in prime condition with plenty of match practice by the time they come back to IReland.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Leinsterman wrote:The dates for both the HEC and Amlin games are:

ROUND 1 – 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 November, 2011
ROUND 2 – 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 November, 2011
ROUND 3 – 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 December, 2011
ROUND 4 – 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 December, 2011
ROUND 5 – 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 January, 2012
ROUND 6 – 19 / 20 / 21 / 22 January, 2012
QUARTER-FINALS – 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 April, 2012
SEMI-FINALS – 27 / 28 / 29 April, 2012
FINALS – 18 / 19 / 20 May, 2012

So, when do we know who we play when?......want to get stuck into hotel pre booking so i'm not paying through the nose!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

mikey wrote:

So, when do we know who we play when?......want to get stuck into hotel pre booking so i'm not paying through the nose!
Still TBC - reckon it will be mid to late August (since the comp starts a bit later this year) and even then they will only release the first 3 or 4 weekends of games.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

One can currently fly to Bristol on December 9th and return on December 11th for €80! :mrgreen:
Glasgow is €71 going out the 18th and back the 20th.
Both with Ryanair

With Aer Lingus.... the Bristol flights are €50 and the Glasgow ones are €80! :shock:

Who feels like gambling? :mrgreen:
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Do we think there will be enough interest in the Bath away match due to attractive location, UK based fans, team success etc. that getting tickets could be tricky (particularly for non STHs)? The Rec has a small enough capacity and we're not entitled to a particularly large cut at the pool stage.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Leinsterman wrote:One can currently fly to Bristol on December 9th and return on December 11th for €80! :mrgreen:
Glasgow is €71 going out the 18th and back the 20th.
Both with Ryanair

With Aer Lingus.... the Bristol flights are €50 and the Glasgow ones are €80! :shock:

Who feels like gambling? :mrgreen:

You do run the risk of watching the games in the pub whilst enjoying a rugby bereft city!....

But I might look to book up some hotels if they can be canceled - if the Ryanair flights were a fiver then that would be a different matter, and there stands a chance there will be the usual sales when they do just that.....(not of course once the dates are finalised though....! its at that point they look to cash in on us rugby travelers!)
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

mikey wrote: You do run the risk of watching the games in the pub whilst enjoying a rugby bereft city!....

Oh if the games were on different weekends, one would just ditch the flights.
Still, interesting to see what price the flights are now and then compare them once the dates are officially announced.
Glasgow rarely seem to have Saturday games in the HEC so ours could easily be on a Friday or Sunday.
Bath rarely seem to have late games so ours could be a lunchtime KO on the Saturday or even on the Sunday.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Leinsterman wrote:
mikey wrote: You do run the risk of watching the games in the pub whilst enjoying a rugby bereft city!....

Oh if the games were on different weekends, one would just ditch the flights.
Still, interesting to see what price the flights are now and then compare them once the dates are officially announced.
Glasgow rarely seem to have Saturday games in the HEC so ours could easily be on a Friday or Sunday.
Bath rarely seem to have late games so ours could be a lunchtime KO on the Saturday or even on the Sunday.

You clearly are a gambling man!

It is certainly worth keeping an eye on the flight prices from Ryanair - their sales might throw up some bargain prices that could just be ditched if its the price of a pint or 2.

I have a feeling that the Montpelier game will be the back to back December one. I seem to recall previous back to backs with French teams.....hope we dont get too many (any) sunday games - and not too many Friday nights either!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

mikey wrote: I have a feeling that the Montpelier game will be the back to back December one. I seem to recall previous back to backs with French teams.....hope we dont get too many (any) sunday games - and not too many Friday nights either!

Good point. However, my own view on that game would be that Sky will want us to open in a game that will provoke a bit of interest. We've played Bath a few times but Sky could market a game against Montpelier as a "fairytale" match between the champions and the underdog making its début in the competition.
Satan's Little Helper
Bookworm

Post by Satan's Little Helper »

bluemagic wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Montpelier (H) - Friday night opener as is usually the case for the holders.
Glasgow (A)
Bath (A)
Bath (H) --- gives Leinster the opportunity to market a big game in the Aviva just before Christmas
Glasgow (H)
Montpelier (A) on the last weekend.
Cant see Leinster moving a pool game to the Aviva this season, i dont think bath are a big enough pull

looks like they'll have to pull the plug on Bath!!!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Leinsterman wrote: Glasgow rarely seem to have Saturday games in the HEC so ours could easily be on a Friday or Sunday.
Glasgow have been known to play on a sunday afternoon but usually play ALL games on a friday night wherever possible. Off the top of my head I can't remember a home game on a saturday in the last couple of years (I could of course be wrong about this). I assume a lot will depend on the kickyball, given that it's Partick Thistle's ground.

Don't forget there's ferry options to Scotland, go via Edinburgh or fly from Belfast if price is a problem..
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Leinsterman wrote:
mikey wrote: I have a feeling that the Montpelier game will be the back to back December one. I seem to recall previous back to backs with French teams.....hope we dont get too many (any) sunday games - and not too many Friday nights either!

Good point. However, my own view on that game would be that Sky will want us to open in a game that will provoke a bit of interest. We've played Bath a few times but Sky could market a game against Montpelier as a "fairytale" match between the champions and the underdog making its début in the competition.

Good point - but could Sky resist a English side to cover as the opening game, even if it is away from home - talking of which as the Champions (my, how fine that sounds), in fact, let me just make that bolder! THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE are we guaranteed to get a home game for the first match?
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Both away games in Bath were in January, 8th Jan 2005 and 22nd Jan 2006 so lets hope for a another win in the Rec in January 2012.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

mikey wrote: are we guaranteed to get a home game for the first match?

Pretty much.
They usually like the champions to open in front of their home crowd.
2007 - Wasps v Munster (Sat afternoon)
2008 - Munster v Montauban (Fri night)
2009 - us in the RDS v LI (Fri night)
2010 - Toulouse played at home on the Sunday but you know what the French teams are like! :D

You have to go back to 2006 when Munster opened away to Leicester to see the last time the champions opened their fixture list away.
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

kermischocolate wrote:
Leinsterman wrote: Glasgow rarely seem to have Saturday games in the HEC so ours could easily be on a Friday or Sunday.
Glasgow have been known to play on a sunday afternoon but usually play ALL games on a friday night wherever possible. Off the top of my head I can't remember a home game on a saturday in the last couple of years (I could of course be wrong about this). I assume a lot will depend on the kickyball, given that it's Partick Thistle's ground.

Don't forget there's ferry options to Scotland, go via Edinburgh or fly from Belfast if price is a problem..
Glasgow play on friday nights wherever possible to avoid clashes with the club games, but when Sky get involved that counts for feck all.

We had 2 fridays last year (only one televised, v Toulouse) and 1 sunday (Wasps); Year before we had 1 friday, 1 saturday, 1 sunday (not televised, but round 6 - therefore same time as a televised one); before that was 2 fridays and a sunday; ditto year before.

Would expect another sunday game (mainly because I hate the f*cking things! Quite like saturdays, but we never get them...) this year, probably Bath though. One of the joys of being a rugby backwater that is, Sky don't care about when we want to play, we just have to fit in wherever best suits Sky and our opponents :(

(kermish, Biarritz in October 2009 was our last saturday game. Think thats the only one in 4 years at Firhill though)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Last time we played HC rugby in Glasgow it was a warm Sunday afternoon with no bar!!!
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Leo the Lion was rubbish that day too....