Treviso v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Treviso v Leinster

Post by cormac »

I know it's a few weeks away but it looks as if there will at least be TV coverage of the game:

RaboDirect PRO12, the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) and the Italian National Broadcaster Rai Sport have announced that a deal to broadcast Benetton Treviso and Aironi matches has been reached.

The deal will start from the 9th round, bringing RaboDirect PRO12 live and on free to air TV across the whole of Italy, adding a new, exciting competition to those broadcast by Rai Sport along with the Italian Eccellenza Championship and U20 6 Nations.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with RAI” said John Feehan Chief Executive of RaboDirect PRO12. “It is an important step in the development of Rugby in Italy to have our matches broadcast live on Terrestrial TV. We are looking forward to working with RAI and the FIR on the broadcast of our exciting competition.

“We’ve closely worked and cooperated with the board of RaboDirect PRO12 to allow this great competition to reach as large an audience as possible” FIR President Giancarlo Dondi said. “Rai Sport and its director Eugenio De Paoli have once again been great rugby supporters and we’re excited to have reached a deal that will bring such a high-level competition across the Italian territory. Most of our National Squad players are involved in the RaboDirect PRO12, as are many of our Six Nations opponents, which will make it an outstanding competition. Rai is really committed to broadcast rugby live and for free and we’re extremely proud of that” Mr. Dondi added.

“Our commitment to Italian rugby grew continuously over the last years – Rai Sport director Eugenio De Paoli said – and RaboDirect PRO12 is a new step forward into world-class rugby. I’m sure that, as has already happened with the Italian championship and Italy U20’s matches, audience and share will prove us right. RaboDirect PRO12 is such a top-class competition that will thrill both long-time fans and newcomers”.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Treviso v Leinster

Post by sheepshagger »

cormac wrote:I know it's a few weeks away but it looks as if there will at least be TV coverage of the game:

RaboDirect PRO12, the Italian Rugby Federation (FIR) and the Italian National Broadcaster Rai Sport have announced that a deal to broadcast Benetton Treviso and Aironi matches has been reached.

The deal will start from the 9th round, bringing RaboDirect PRO12 live and on free to air TV across the whole of Italy, adding a new, exciting competition to those broadcast by Rai Sport along with the Italian Eccellenza Championship and U20 6 Nations.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with RAI” said John Feehan Chief Executive of RaboDirect PRO12. “It is an important step in the development of Rugby in Italy to have our matches broadcast live on Terrestrial TV. We are looking forward to working with RAI and the FIR on the broadcast of our exciting competition.

“We’ve closely worked and cooperated with the board of RaboDirect PRO12 to allow this great competition to reach as large an audience as possible” FIR President Giancarlo Dondi said. “Rai Sport and its director Eugenio De Paoli have once again been great rugby supporters and we’re excited to have reached a deal that will bring such a high-level competition across the Italian territory. Most of our National Squad players are involved in the RaboDirect PRO12, as are many of our Six Nations opponents, which will make it an outstanding competition. Rai is really committed to broadcast rugby live and for free and we’re extremely proud of that” Mr. Dondi added.

“Our commitment to Italian rugby grew continuously over the last years – Rai Sport director Eugenio De Paoli said – and RaboDirect PRO12 is a new step forward into world-class rugby. I’m sure that, as has already happened with the Italian championship and Italy U20’s matches, audience and share will prove us right. RaboDirect PRO12 is such a top-class competition that will thrill both long-time fans and newcomers”.
Someone asked on their Facebook page if it extended to coverage being shown in other countries (ie for visiting teams) and they said 'this only applies to coverage for italian viewers) :?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sheepshagger wrote:
cormac wrote:I know it's a few weeks away but it looks as if there will at least be TV coverage of the game:

Someone asked on their Facebook page if it extended to coverage being shown in other countries (ie for visiting teams) and they said 'this only applies to coverage for italian viewers) :?
At least there will be coverage of the games, so it's quite possible that streams may be available on the net
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If some pubs are enterprising about it they might show it and we can join Tom McGurk and his Aunt Nancy :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:If some pubs are enterprising about it they might show it and we can join Tom McGurk and his Aunt Nancy :D
If any TV stations outside of Italy are enterprising........... Feck it RTE wont bother sending a commentary team. Setanta?

Would they be excluded from live coverage if Rte and tv clatter didn't take it up?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:If some pubs are enterprising about it they might show it and we can join Tom McGurk and his Aunt Nancy :D
If any TV stations outside of Italy are enterprising........... Feck it RTE wont bother sending a commentary team. Setanta?

Would they be excluded from live coverage if Rte and tv clatter didn't take it up?
Unfortunately yes! They've love to show the live games that RTE/TG4 can't be bothered with, but they can only show delayed coverage of games.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Nancy is McGurks Aunt he keeps bringing up as an example of people who wouldn't go to a pub to watch a match, even for a Leinster forum it was a serious rugby nerd joke

That said, commentary in Italian would be better than Stuart Barnes and Miles Harrison
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If a host broadcaster is covering a game, then the video feed is available to any of the other broadcast partners should they want it. There is no need to send a commentary team anywhere, it can be (and often is) done in Montrose
I have Bumbleflex
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

The whole TV coverage thing is really holding back the league, and how difficult it is for everbody to get access to other countries 2 bit stations such as TG4, RTE, S4C, ALBA and now presumably RAI.

The Pro12 should either launch an online coverage station (as all coverage is FTA, just not accessable abroad) or try and do a deal through one major broadcaster, who can subsequently do a deal with these local stations to provide pitcures.

SKY Sports, almost single handedly, has made the English football premier league the richest football league in the world and one of the richest sporting enterprises on earth thanks to its TV coverage and the value of these packages and the money that was fed down to teams as a result and the resulting improvement of facilities and quality of football / players.

I'm not saying I want it to be an import league, but that is the power of the TV broadcaster for the growth of the competition, you can only go so far without it, before it becomes the most important part in the growth of the competition.

It's such a shame that Setanta failed at this, mostly for the commitments it made to the English Premier league and getting their numbers wrong on the growth of the subscriptions as a result. But it would be great if a rugby dedicated sports channell came on board, bought up all the rights, plus AP highlights package, plus T14 highlights package, plus classic rugby, plus some amature coverage, schools cup coverage, A game and underage international coverage, 7's coverage, S15, delayed international coverage of 6 nations if not live, same with AI's...there's so much there of live sport, then you've got a few panel shows, I think it would really work....amazed RTE don't have a sports channel either with a decent budget, the amount of sport made FTA in Ireland, they could easily fill one as they don't show half the amount of sport they could.

Maybe someone like ESPN? Or a Rugby dedicated Sky Sports channel? I'd love it, and subscribe...
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

[Jackass] wrote:It's such a shame that Setanta failed at this, mostly for the commitments it made to the English Premier league and getting their numbers wrong on the growth of the subscriptions as a result. But it would be great if a rugby dedicated sports channell came on board, bought up all the rights, plus AP highlights package, plus T14 highlights package, plus classic rugby, plus some amature coverage, schools cup coverage, A game and underage international coverage, 7's coverage, S15, delayed international coverage of 6 nations if not live, same with AI's...there's so much there of live sport, then you've got a few panel shows, I think it would really work....amazed RTE don't have a sports channel either with a decent budget, the amount of sport made FTA in Ireland, they could easily fill one as they don't show half the amount of sport they could.
Maybe someone like ESPN? Or a Rugby dedicated Sky Sports channel? I'd love it, and subscribe...
Rather than bailing out the Used Car Salesmen by paying their managers salary, perhaps former Wanderers openside Denis O'Brien should set this up. Synergies would exist with his media background in radio and newsprint.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Isn't RAI the national broadcaster?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

ribs wrote:Isn't RAI the national broadcaster?
Yes. I understand there are 3 RAI stations. Have seen them from time to time on satellite packages in hotels in other countries, so I would be surprised if they weren't available on some satellite package here.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

QBer wrote:
Yes. I understand there are 3 RAI stations. Have seen them from time to time on satellite packages in hotels in other countries, so I would be surprised if they weren't available on some satellite package here.
Its not on 28E sats, which is what the vast majority of Irish dishes are pointed at.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
QBer wrote:
Its not on 28E sats, which is what the vast majority of Irish dishes are pointed at.
Yeah but surely someone will stream this?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:If a host broadcaster is covering a game, then the video feed is available to any of the other broadcast partners should they want it. There is no need to send a commentary team anywhere, it can be (and often is) done in Montrose
True. Surely RTE will pick it up then..........Or not.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

RTE's sports coverage is a disgrace. Anything they do show is subject to Government intervention by making it an occasion of national importance, and thus FTA ffs.

Where does the licence fee go?? Fair city and Pat Kennys bank account??

ITV would be an option too, and have several stations and are FTA, no subscription required, and they have shown an appetite in the past to find a niche within sports broadcasting and already have AP rights.

The league should really source an overall broadcaster rather than negotiating several independent deals and waiting for this to sort it's self out.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions