Steven Sykes

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Steven Sykes

Post by gfo »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Courtney Lawes is the most over-rated player in England then? :?

I'll see your Lawes and raise you a Tom Croft
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Croft is a very light 6 and completely over-rated.
Lawes on the other hand is an amazing physical specimen, and i think they're right to be hyping him, as his potential is huge if he grows a brain cell or two.
Witness the security of the Northampton ball in Thomond compared to last weekend, he's an excellent lineout jumper and a great carrier, with a lovely offload, something which Irish second rows seem unable to combine. He's an utter scummer though when it comes to late hits.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

wixfjord wrote:Croft is a very light 6 and completely over-rated.
Lawes on the other hand is an amazing physical specimen, and i think they're right to be hyping him, as his potential is huge if he grows a brain cell or two.
Witness the security of the Northampton ball in Thomond compared to last weekend, he's an excellent lineout jumper and a great carrier, with a lovely offload, something which Irish second rows seem unable to combine. He's an utter scummer though when it comes to late hits.
D Ryan?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Apocrypha wrote:
D Ryan?
Big Mal
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

wixfjord wrote:He's an English player though when it comes to playing like an Englishman.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Apocrypha wrote:
D Ryan?
To some degree, but not in the same league in my opinion. Lawes hands and spring are fantastic.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
Apocrypha wrote:
D Ryan?
Big Mal
Hmmm I fairly strongly disagree with that one, not in the same league anyway.

My main point is I think that while the English big up some of their players, we are sometimes in danger of going the opposite way. Despite his personality, Lawes is an amazing prospect and should be a Lions tourist next time around, injury and tackling permitting.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:
Big Mal

My main point is I think that while the English big up some of their players, we are sometimes in danger of going the opposite way. Despite his personality, Lawes is an amazing prospect and should be a Lions tourist next time around, injury and tackling permitting.
Your point is well illustrated in your assessment of O'Kelly.

Lawes has the individual gifts to become a World Class lock, especially in cases where you want your lock to be more of a backrow. Lawes will have to do it on the pitch before he's starting for the Lions.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

wixfjord wrote:he's an excellent lineout jumper and a great carrier, with a lovely offload,
Are you looking at the same Courtney Lawes I'm looking at? I've lost count of the amount of try scoring opportunities I've seen him murder for saints because of his clumsiness with the ball :?
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

gfo wrote:
brummie-leinster-man wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Courtney Lawes is the most over-rated player in England then? :?

I'll see your Lawes and raise you a Tom Croft
Yea Croft doesn't get talked about as much as Lawes though. He gets praise when he deserves it. Lawes gets talked up even if he plays like a tool. Plus Croft was pretty good for the Lions so you could say he's earned the praise he gets. I'm yet to see the Lawes that sky sports and the like seem to dribble on about
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
ronk wrote:
Big Mal

Your point is well illustrated in your assessment of O'Kelly.

Lawes has the individual gifts to become a World Class lock, especially in cases where you want your lock to be more of a backrow. Lawes will have to do it on the pitch before he's starting for the Lions.
Well I've had my head bitten off before for daring to question the great Mal, and you seem like the type of poster who would do that, and I've no wish to get into that. To say he was the same league as Lawes for handling, carrying and athleticism as Lawes is incorrect imo.

Back on topic, Lawes would be a great addition but we'll never get him.

Sharpe would be my choice of the possibly available.
Could be the making of Flanagan though.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

gfo wrote:

I'll go for Alex Goode of Saracens.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

bails wrote:
gfo wrote:

I'll go for Alex Goode of Saracens.
He gets rated?? :P

Though Owen Farrell was the only player that matters in Watford :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: Well I've had my head bitten off before for daring to question the great Mal, and you seem like the type of poster who would do that, and I've no wish to get into that. To say he was the same league as Lawes for handling, carrying and athleticism as Lawes is incorrect imo.

Back on topic, Lawes would be a great addition but we'll never get him.
Mal O'Kelly got 92 caps for Ireland and was selected for two Lions tours in an era when there was no end of excellent second-rows about in the NH. He was a legitimately world class second row in his prime, and arguably Ireland's most athletic ever second row [Jerry Davidson and O'Connell would have their champions].

He played in three RWCs over 12 seasons of international rugby and there were a lot of good second rows around in Ireland at the time – Davidson, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen, Paddy Johns, Gary Longwell, Bob Casey, Mick O'Driscoll to name just some of them.

Lawes is a great prospect, looks the part and has the tattoos, but he's more infamous for his cheap-shots and big hits on midget scrum-halves than for anything he's yet done as a player. The proof of the pudding came in the World Cup, when he was couldn't make it on to the QF team ahead of Tom Palmer or Louis Deacon, neither of them second rows of any great international pedigree. Indeed Simon Shaw was the sub second-row for that game, with Lawes coming on as a blindside for Tom Croft.

Here are some highlights of Mal, btw ... make a believer of you yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsZ_1KN ... re=related
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Its not that long ago that Sky were declaring Alex Goode as the next Lions full back. Shows you what shite eminates from Murdoch's festering studios.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

bails wrote:Its not that long ago that Sky were declaring Alex Goode as the next Lions full back. Shows you what shite eminates from Murdoch's festering studios.
I must have missed that :lol:

Yea I'd take what they say on sky with a pinch of salt!
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Well Leo is confirmed for surgery today so he'll be gone until mid March as earliest.

We'll do well to have him back for HC qtr final. Flanagan is going to get a bit of game time this 6 nations.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

macboomba wrote:Well Leo is confirmed for surgery today so he'll be gone until mid March as earliest.

We'll do well to have him back for HC qtr final. Flanagan is going to get a bit of game time this 6 nations.
That's great news
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: Hmmm I fairly strongly disagree with that one, not in the same league anyway.

[/quote]

It wasn't a question of biting your head off over Mal (though I do disagree with you), it was pointing out the apparently unintended irony as highlighted in your post.

Lawes is someone who makes more contributions to the highlights reel than to the winning of the game. I don't think that he's special just because he has a party trick of looking for opportunities to get blindside hits in that he happens to be good at.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Hmmm I fairly strongly disagree with that one, not in the same league anyway.

It wasn't a question of biting your head off over Mal (though I do disagree with you), it was pointing out the apparently unintended irony as highlighted in your post.

Lawes is someone who makes more contributions to the highlights reel than to the winning of the game. I don't think that he's special just because he has a party trick of looking for opportunities to get blindside hits in that he happens to be good at.[/quote]

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, thanks for illustrating it! Many on here see Lawes for his tackles and tattoos, and obviously automatically think he's a showboater. For a 22 year old to be as good as he is is very rare in my book, but obviously you can't see past the hatred, which is the point I was trying to make. He's no world beater yet, and he's not nearly as good as Sky make out, but here is some middle ground to the argument.

I can guarantee that if he were Irish we'd be creaming ourselves over him. Take the recent Mark Flanagan performance for instance, and multiply that by an international cap, or the continuing hype of Andrew Conway!