British & Irish Cup 2011-12

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

British & Irish Cup 2011-12

Post by cormac »

Decent enough team for the game against Esher tomorrow and some promising young 'uns on the bench. KO is at 3pm.

Conway, Hudson, Macken, O'Shea, Carr, Reid, Cooney; O'Connell, Dundon, Hagan, Sykes, Flanagan, Ruddock C, Ryan (c), Auva'a.

Bench; Sexton T, Moore, Marshall, Gilsenan, McGrath L, Marsh, Riordan.

Pretty much the same team that started against Ulster Ravens, just the two changes with Jack O'Connell replacing the promoted Jack McGrath and Fionn Carr replacing Andrew Boyle on the wing. I can only assume that Rhys Ruddock will be in Montpellier as cover in case of injuries before the match, ditto Dave Kearney.

Great to see players like Martin Moore, Conor Gilsenan, Luke McGrath and Cathal Marsh on the bench, hopefully they'll get a run out tomorrow and next week against Melrose. My only gripe is whether Danny Riordan is worth a place on the bench. Nothing against the guy but would it not make more sense to give one of the Academy backs an opportunity there?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Re: British & Irish Cup 2011-12

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

How come Sykes is in the A squad? Long way to travel to play for the 2nd team. Still haven't seen him yet, is he any good?
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Where's Rhys?? Must be injured.

Meh, don't know much about O'Shea, Noel Reid I've heard is decent, but from the limited amount I've seen I'm still to be convinced, good back row, very concerning that Sykes, who was to replace Hines, is playing in the A squad...good front row too, but would prefer to see Sexton in there, very good back 3, and along with Macken, hope they can really stand out.

Good to see Conway back and hope he can get fitness and contend for first 15 bench at least.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

[Jackass] wrote:Where's Rhys?? Must be injured.

Meh, don't know much about O'Shea, Noel Reid I've heard is decent, but from the limited amount I've seen I'm still to be convinced, good back row, very concerning that Sykes, who was to replace Hines, is playing in the A squad...good front row too, but would prefer to see Sexton in there, very good back 3, and along with Macken, hope they can really stand out.

Good to see Conway back and hope he can get fitness and contend for first 15 bench at least.
As mentioned above, both Rhys Ruddock and Dave Kearney are probably travelling with the first team to Montepellier to act as cover in case of last-minute injury or illness. Fairly standard for away games. Bit unfortunate for both of them.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Esher 18 Leinster A 32
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Anyone catch this game? Good performers?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LEINSTER EARN BONUS POINT VICTORY OVER ESHER...12 November 2011, 11:50 pmBy Editor

Leinster kicked off their British & Irish Cup campaign with a bonus point 32-18 victory over Esher RFC on Saturday afternoon in Molesey Road...

Noel Reid kicked the visitors into an early 3-0 lead with a penalty which was levelled moments later by the English side, however Brendan Macken touched down for the game's opening try in the 10th minute to help Leinster regain an 8-3 advantage.
A Leo Auva'a try in the 19th minute stretched Leinster's lead, converted by Reid, before the former St. Michael's College out-half added another penalty four minutes later to make it 18-3.

It was all Leinster athis stage but credit to the London club who added their first try of the game on 36 minutes, which was also converted. However a try from Andrew Conway on the stroke of half-time after a well worked move, which Reid again converted, gave Leinster a seemingly conclusive 25-10 lead at the interval.

Credit to Esher who rallied in the second half and their pressure was rewarded with tries on 46 and 61 minutes but substitute Ben Marshall's 65th minute try ensured the bonus point, with Reid again adding the points to make it 32-18.

LEINSTER:

15: Andrew Conway (Danny Riordan, 62)
14: Darren Hudson
13: Brendan Macken
12: Colm O'Shea
11: Fionn Carr
10: Noel Reid (Cathal Marsh, 70)
9: John Cooney (Luke McGrath, 74)

1: Jack O’Connell
2: Aaron Dundon
3: Jamie Hagan (Martin Moore, 57)
4: Steven Sykes (Ben Marshall, 44) (Tom Sexton, 70)
5: Mark Flanagan
6: Ciaran Ruddock
7: Dominic Ryan CAPTAIN (Conor Gilsenan, 16)
8: Leo Auva'a

Head Coach: Colin McEntee, Assistant Coach: Girvan Dempsey, Team Manager: Michael Kearney
No information on what caused Dom Ryan to go off after just 16 mins. Just 44 mins for Sykes too. Next game is against Melrose at 6pm on Sat 19th in Donnybrook.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Interesting to see Conor Gilsenan get almost 70 minutes. Great opportunity for him. I've very high hopes for him. Going on the result, it would seem that he acquitted himself quite well hopefully. Also happy to see Martin Moore continuing to be involved. He's an excellent prospect at tighthead.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ankle injury for Dom - it appears the only luck he has these days is bad luck. :(
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

v surprised he (Dippy) was even back from injury. was it too soon I wonder?
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

[Jackass] wrote:Anyone catch this game? Good performers?
Was in London at the weekend so made the trip to Esher. TBH was disappointed with the way Leinster played. Esher were down 15 first team players and are at the bottom of the Championship without a point after 10 games. Only Conway, Carr and Leo showed real inventiveness although all of them threw away good scoring opportunities. Our scrum also struggled at the start, but improved as the game went on. Ironically we played our best phases when we were down to 13 men after Ruddock and Hagan were binned, and scored our only points in the second half (a converted try). We gave away far too many penalties and butchered several try scoring opportunities. Carr was lucky to stay on as well after cynically barging one of the Esher backs off the ball, after he had beaten Carr in the chase after a grubber kick. It was a certain try but for that, the Referee and Touch Judge both failed to call it. It was an illegal challenge, and it led to sight of the Touch Judge and Esher coaches in a full blown row with each other whilst play went on, (and the Touch Judge missing a couple of Esher forward passes whilst he was embroiled in the row). Officiating at it's worst. Leinster seemed to be going through the motions at points, with concentration slipping leading to some poor handling and decision making. We should have put 80 points past Esher. Leinster A will need to up their game as better opposition would have beaten them on the performance they gave on Saturday.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Xanthippe wrote:Ankle injury for Dom - it appears the only luck he has these days is bad luck. :(
Looked in a lot of discomfort when he came off, and was limping quite badly as he was led to an Ambulance at half-time.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:Next game is against Melrose at 6pm on Sat 19th in Donnybrook.
Poxy time for the game as it clashes with both the Ulster and Connacht HC matches. :?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Hornet wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Anyone catch this game? Good performers?
Was in London at the weekend so made the trip to Esher. TBH was disappointed with the way Leinster played. Esher were down 15 first team players and are at the bottom of the Championship without a point after 10 games. Only Conway, Carr and Leo showed real inventiveness although all of them threw away good scoring opportunities. Our scrum also struggled at the start, but improved as the game went on. Ironically we played our best phases when we were down to 13 men after Ruddock and Hagan were binned, and scored our only points in the second half (a converted try). We gave away far too many penalties and butchered several try scoring opportunities. Carr was lucky to stay on as well after cynically barging one of the Esher backs off the ball, after he had beaten Carr in the chase after a grubber kick. It was a certain try but for that, the Referee and Touch Judge both failed to call it. It was an illegal challenge, and it led to sight of the Touch Judge and Esher coaches in a full blown row with each other whilst play went on, (and the Touch Judge missing a couple of Esher forward passes whilst he was embroiled in the row). Officiating at it's worst. Leinster seemed to be going through the motions at points, with concentration slipping leading to some poor handling and decision making. We should have put 80 points past Esher. Leinster A will need to up their game as better opposition would have beaten them on the performance they gave on Saturday.
I notice Sykes only got a half, was he muck?
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote: I notice Sykes only got a half, was he muck?
He excelled in his anonimity.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Feck!

If he can't impress against opposition like that.......

I reckon it must be his attitude, cause he has played super 14. Slag it off if you will, but it is several orders of magnitude ahead of the B&I cup and a team at the bottom of the English 2nd division.

If you look at Leinster TV archive for August there is an interview with him, in which he uses the line "maybe after three years I can put on the green jersey, it's not as good as green and gold, but it's good enough" (not an exact quote but pretty close)

Before he had even played a friendly........

I did not mention it at the time, but with the Mujati incident, (or non incident) and his subsequent form, I am starting to worry about the possibility of another Ed O'D.

2nd row is the worst place for Leinster to have a passenger at the moment.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote: If you look at Leinster TV archive for August there is an interview with him, in which he uses the line "maybe after three years I can put on the green jersey, it's not as good as green and gold, but it's good enough" (not an exact quote but pretty close)
Wish you hadn't put up that quote - didn't particularly like him before and now like him even less. If he's not good enough for green and gold then he's definitely not good enough for us.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Hornet wrote:
johng wrote: I notice Sykes only got a half, was he muck?
He excelled in his anonimity.
That's really difficult to understand - he's supposed to be a project player, the IRFU were looking at him as a possible future Ireland international. My Saffer mates reckon he's a very good footballer with excellent hands which suggests that the problem is more mental than physical.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Your friends are right, Flash. I've see his highlights reel from the Sharks and some of his handling was superb and his play was extremely aggressive. I was convinced he was a tailor made replacement for Hines. I can only assume that he's seriously lacking in attitude and application because he has the ability.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

johng wrote: I reckon it must be his attitude, cause he has played super 14. Slag it off if you will, but it is several orders of magnitude ahead of the B&I cup and a team at the bottom of the English 2nd division.
Flash Gordon wrote: That's really difficult to understand - he's supposed to be a project player, the IRFU were looking at him as a possible future Ireland international. My Saffer mates reckon he's a very good footballer with excellent hands which suggests that the problem is more mental than physical.
ceemec wrote:Your friends are right, Flash. I've see his highlights reel from the Sharks and some of his handling was superb and his play was extremely aggressive. I was convinced he was a tailor made replacement for Hines. I can only assume that he's seriously lacking in attitude and application because he has the ability.
We all seem to agree here.

Perhaps he is not settling in? Perhaps he will come good? Perhaps he has gotten off on the wrong foot with Joe and Jonno? Perhaps he has CJVDL Syndrome? Perhaps management are pi$$ed off with losing Hines against their will. (Especially now he has retired internationally) Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

I hope he can come good on his potential, and soon because we have no stand out contender for an ageing Leo's partner. Toner has improved and may be the man, but the fact that they did not start him on Saturday means he is not seen as a hard man. Browne is perhaps, but he is not a top quality player, good but not great and unlikely to improve too much.

On paper, Sykes was the man. I was hoping he was going to be throwing bodies out of his way in the B&I in an attempt to get a HC place, but it appears not, or at least not yet. :(