wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster books

Post by wixfjord »

Leo has a new book coming out, launching tomorrow seemingly
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/olsc/8931.php

While Rhapsody in Blue is out now.

Anyone got either and any thoughts?

I've been distinctly non plussed with books written by current players and recent retirees in recent years (Jackman, ROG,Quinlan, BOD), but I reckon Rhapsody in Blue looks ace.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster books

Post by BlueBlue »

I quite liked Jackmans book, very honest. So honest in fact that you could understand him regretting some of the things in the book being public knowledge. All of these books are very light reading. Read Bod's year in the centre also, interesting snippets in it thats all, sometimes you have got to read between the lines. Like Bods comment on Kidneys time as head/ backs coach at Leinster. Wow that's hard to say......backs coach :shock:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

7.30pm tonight at the D4 Berekley Hotel.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official- ... 6189359637
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Bob Casey & Joe Schmidt amongst the speakers for tonights launch
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Was a good night...well attended with some of the squad also present :clap:

Bob Casey was very funny, would say he has some stories to tell from over the years.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

It's not strictly Leinster but I got "In BOD We Trust" last Christmas. I'd finished it by Boxing day. Its a biography but mainly goes into the 2005 Lions tour and BOD's captaincy.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:It's not strictly Leinster but I got "In BOD We Trust" last Christmas. I'd finished it by Boxing day. Its a biography but mainly goes into the 2005 Lions tour and BOD's captaincy.
Mine lasted until st stephens day . Uk edition must have been shorter!
elfan
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

elfan wrote:
brummie-leinster-man wrote:It's not strictly Leinster but I got "In BOD We Trust" last Christmas. I'd finished it by Boxing day. Its a biography but mainly goes into the 2005 Lions tour and BOD's captaincy.
Mine lasted until st stephens day . Uk edition must have been shorter!
:?:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

No disrespect to Leo Cullen, who I admire greatly and consider a hero of mankind, but I will not be buying his book. There simply can't be anything to attract me to it. You know David Healy wrote a book - I don't read it, but sure it went along the lines of "I was a Man Utd starlet then I broke the goal scoring record and got a medal from Michel Platini in The Camp Windsor before arseing about with a lot of sh!t teams" - so, too, Peter Crouch - "My career highlights are going for lots of money to a range of clubs and dancing like an idiot in the world cup. Oh, and I'm a poor man's Rodney Trotter, if you know what I mean?" - I, personally, feel these people have nothing interesting to say. Cullen spent time with Leicester were he cut his teeth, earned respect as a leader and helped turn Leinster into the best team in Europe. Then I got married. With all due respect to the man, is there much else he can say?

Every book should be measured to Di Canio's. Come close, match or better it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Good luck with the book Leo. I wish you well. Great servant to Leinster.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Fair point Suisse, and I agree with you in the main; only thing is this is (as far as I am aware) NOT an autobiography, but more his account of last season.
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Also Suisse you never know what's goign on in the player's head, take Quinlan's book last year it was very revelaing about his serious mental health issues and how he deals with them on a daily basis. Also Jackman wasn't exactly Keith Wood so you'd think ah sure what would be in that but it gave a really interesting account of how he pushed and punished himself to make it as a professional rugby player. There's also the odd piss up story usually thrown into the rugby biogs about the lads on tour or whatever and while I'm sure most stories stay on tour some can be hillarious e.g. Trev Brennan on the Leinster squad in the South of France and disco Den getting battered by bouncers at a night club followed by the forwards going back to sort it out and Alain Rolland having to broker the peace with the gendearmé
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

suisse wrote:No disrespect to Leo Cullen, who I admire greatly and consider a hero of mankind, but I will not be buying his book. There simply can't be anything to attract me to it. You know David Healy wrote a book - I don't read it, but sure it went along the lines of "I was a Man Utd starlet then I broke the goal scoring record and got a medal from Michel Platini in The Camp Windsor before arseing about with a lot of sh!t teams" - so, too, Peter Crouch - "My career highlights are going for lots of money to a range of clubs and dancing like an idiot in the world cup. Oh, and I'm a poor man's Rodney Trotter, if you know what I mean?" - I, personally, feel these people have nothing interesting to say. Cullen spent time with Leicester were he cut his teeth, earned respect as a leader and helped turn Leinster into the best team in Europe. Then I got married. With all due respect to the man, is there much else he can say?

Every book should be measured to Di Canio's. Come close, match or better it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Good luck with the book Leo. I wish you well. Great servant to Leinster.
I would be interested in his book (if it came out after he stopped playing) if only for his take on the diff between the Leinster he left & the one he came back to & what he saw as the main diff between Leinster at the time of his return & leicester. Histake on his different coaches would also be interesting. As he is still playing i wont be wasting my money

Suisse - What's so good about the Di Canio book? Does he go into the whole fascist thing?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

TerenureJim wrote:Also Suisse you never know what's goign on in the player's head, take Quinlan's book last year it was very revelaing about his serious mental health issues and how he deals with them on a daily basis. Also Jackman wasn't exactly Keith Wood so you'd think ah sure what would be in that but it gave a really interesting account of how he pushed and punished himself to make it as a professional rugby player. There's also the odd piss up story usually thrown into the rugby biogs about the lads on tour or whatever and while I'm sure most stories stay on tour some can be hillarious e.g. Trev Brennan on the Leinster squad in the South of France and disco Den getting battered by bouncers at a night club followed by the forwards going back to sort it out and Alain Rolland having to broker the peace with the gendearmé
The only interesting thing about the Jackman book was the complete lack of editing.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Scott wrote:Suisse - What's so good about the Di Canio book? Does he go into the whole fascist thing?
It's been a while since I read it Scott, but I remember thinking it was insanely eye-opening. He talks in detail about fascism, his admiration for Mussolini and how he nearly f%~ked himself by drinking too much Coca-Cola as a kid. Also that hilarious episode as a West Ham player when he tried to substitute himself because he was convinced the referees would never give him a penalty. His upbringing is a little different to Leo's Leinster via Wicklow and Blackrock :D
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

suisse wrote:I, personally, feel these people have nothing interesting to say. Cullen spent time with Leicester were he cut his teeth, earned respect as a leader and helped turn Leinster into the best team in Europe. Then I got married. With all due respect to the man, is there much else he can say?
Are their any other types of rugby books? Are you looking for some kind of Zombie twist? A tragic ending? Something with a more global outlook like Playing the Enemy?

This book is targeted at Leinster fans, its got a clear scope and could well be a decent read. Dismissing it in the way you have seems a simplistic.

Having said all that, its probably shite :)
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I'm looking forward to getting it, in fact I added it to my Santa list this morning.

Two time winning HEC captain, part of the "golden" team in recent Leinster times, multi medal winning time in the UK & he's been through a number of top coaches. There has to be some really good insights into how his mind and the team works.

Leo is not one to blow his own trumpet, I'd say if you asked 100 people on Grafton St to name the Leinster Captain at least 50% would say BOD; so given he doesn't say much on a normal basis, if he decides he has something to say now I'd guess its pretty decent.
Get in the f%~king bag.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hang on, are there any Leinster/rugby books with Zombie twists? Surely that's a meme gone too far?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Christ on a bike does there have to be debate about everything.

Simple...buy Leo's book or don't.

I will.
3 Gold Stars
rathgarblue
Bookworm

Post by rathgarblue »

fourthirtythree wrote:Hang on, are there any Leinster/rugby books with Zombie twists? Surely that's a meme gone too far?
Ed O'Donoghue: "My zombie life at Leinster".

I'll get my coat....
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

Anyone read Rhapsody in Blue and if so, is it any good?