A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mikerob
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by mikerob »

tones wrote:IT (GT) says we lost to a more experienced Saffer side...
So by my reckoning, that would be the Ireland squad with 710 caps and the S Africa squad with 540 caps?
Bite and Belloq
Learner

Post by Bite and Belloq »

Although it was Thornley's byline [under the brilliantly bonkers headline "Ireland outmuscled by experience"] the 'experience' line is in fact Kidney's: “They [Test matches] take approximately five twists in every game, and for fellas to learn from that experience, that what we were doing in the first-half today, say, wouldn’t necessarily apply in the second half, and that we have to come out with the smarts to make sure that it doesn’t happen. But that’s not through lack of effort, that’s through experience.”
Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Bite and Belloq wrote:Although it was Thornley's byline [under the brilliantly bonkers headline "Ireland outmuscled by experience"] the 'experience' line is in fact Kidney's: “They [Test matches] take approximately five twists in every game, and for fellas to learn from that experience, that what we were doing in the first-half today, say, wouldn’t necessarily apply in the second half, and that we have to come out with the smarts to make sure that it doesn’t happen. But that’s not through lack of effort, that’s through experience.”

even worse nonsense than he usually writes

how much experience do they need?

and do they have to get their arses kicked 50 times before tehy're allowed to start thinking about winning?

funny how other sides don't seem to require the same wealth of experience before finding winning ways
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Bite and Belloq wrote:Although it was Thornley's byline [under the brilliantly bonkers headline "Ireland outmuscled by experience"] the 'experience' line is in fact Kidney's: “They [Test matches] take approximately five twists in every game, and for fellas to learn from that experience, that what we were doing in the first-half today, say, wouldn’t necessarily apply in the second half, and that we have to come out with the smarts to make sure that it doesn’t happen. But that’s not through lack of effort, that’s through experience.”
Thornley seems to be ok to go along with it...
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Bite and Belloq
Learner

He reported the coaches comments, he neither agreed or disagreed with them. Granted, I don’t think anyone would be surprised if he framed tomorrow’s column around defending Kidney’s view but that’s not what actually happened here.

Have another look http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 72329.html#

Thornley himself proffers the opinion that the result was down to lateral running, a lack of grunt, and a certain lack of belief.
Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Bite and Belloq wrote:He reported the coaches comments, he neither agreed or disagreed with them. Granted, I don’t think anyone would be surprised if he framed tomorrow’s column around defending Kidney’s view but that’s not what actually happened here.

Have another look http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 72329.html#

Thornley himself proffers the opinion that the result was down to lateral running, a lack of grunt, and a certain lack of belief.
True, but journalists are supposed to be even handed and I think that dropping in a quote which you haven't fact-checked for sense lends that opinion an air of reasonableness that a critical eye and hand would not allow to happen.
Bite and Belloq
Learner

His job on the day was to report. He reported. Tomorrow is his column which is where the critical eye and hand come in to play.

Anyway what's being lost here is that it wasn't the Irish Times or Gerry Thornley that said that inexperience cost us the game it was the coach, Declan Kidney.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I've noticed a lot of implicit criticism of DK these days. No journalist seems to directly condemn him, but frequently mention how much criticism (and how little respect) he's receiving
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hahah yeah, 'The proverbial daggers are out for Kidney... Yet neither myself nor my journalist comprades actually know what a dagger looks like.'
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Anyone read Wardy's 2 cents today? Unreal arrogance (not that surprising though) :roll:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

tones wrote:Anyone read Wardy's 2 cents today? Unreal arrogance (not that surprising though) :roll:
I read the headline and decided that was enough.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Tony Ward wrote:So yes, if you must, sack the coach, sack his assistants, sack the players and, of course, all will be dandy. Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fuelled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards.
How dare we pitiful cowards question Kidney! Don't we realise we had "the best group we could muster ... playing close to its maximum" on Saturday?

It's not that Kidney's forcing an outdated game plan on the team and ignoring any backs coaching and only picking in form players when his hand is forced by injury. It's that the players just aren't good enough. Good enough to win a hatful of European Cups yes but not good enough to beat another international side.

Shame on us for doubting him now sit back and accept mediocrity and moral victories.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Broken Wing wrote:
Tony Ward wrote:So yes, if you must, sack the coach, sack his assistants, sack the players and, of course, all will be dandy. Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fuelled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards.
How dare we pitiful cowards question Kidney! Don't we realise we had "the best group we could muster ... playing close to its maximum" on Saturday?

It's not that Kidney's forcing an outdated game plan on the team and ignoring any backs coaching and only picking in form players when his hand is forced by injury. It's that the players just aren't good enough. Good enough to win a hatful of European Cups yes but not good enough to beat another international side.

Shame on us for doubting him now sit back and accept mediocrity and moral victories.
Such vitriol there in that quote... :wink:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Shame on Tony Ward. Be a big lad and take the criticism on the chin.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Of all people you'd think he'd have a spine.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Tony Ward vehemently defended EOS in the midst of that 2007 RWC debacle, and seems to be playing the same tune again. He also said awarding EOS a new deal before the RWC was like giving a student an A before the exam. As our RWC campaign crashed and burned in spectacular circumstances (nearly losing to Georgia, getting thrashed by Clerc and France, and double scored by Argentina), he still came out on every form of mass media claiming EOS was still the right man to take Ireland on, even though the whole population felt otherwise. He's been wrong before, and he's wrong now. No surprises there. Well done Tony.

As for the comment; "Sadly, rugby is now heading the way of soccer, fuelled by pitiful websites and the anonymous vitriol of cowards."

We're "anonymous" because we're not getting paid thousands of euro a year to be bland, uninteresting and ass-licking like you. Use your influential media positions to grow a pair Tony. The rugby is cr@p, the coach is out of his depth, and, lest we forget, we lost 60-0 recently in Hamilton.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

GT is talking out his arse again today, but this time attributing the brain-deadening guff to gert smal. what a bunch of shite.

as an aside - i did message gerry the other day to ask him when dk is leaving.

no reply yet, but i'll keep yis informed on developments.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Utter shite from Ward but no surprise, he's always been a servile little w&%ker as a pundit
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:Utter shite from Ward but no surprise, he's always been a servile little w&%ker as a pundit
He sounds like Farrelly moaning about "keyboard warriors"... what an idiot.
Dont Panic!
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Is it just us that wants to see Kidders go? The other forums are quiet on the subject.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.