A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by TrapperChamonix »

dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Surely they have to go for ROG then? They need an attack coach and they need a two or three big names players. Maybe there's scope for one big name player but that'll be it so they should really aim for a high profile coach. Unless he's going to join the Ireland setup (and I wouldn't rule that out) then they should do everything they can to bring him on board.

If he did then I'd love to see who he tried to bring with him. They have a lot of young backs so don't think there's anyone obvious because they'd still have NZ ambitions. Crotty would be perfect on paper but he gets injured an awful lot. Matt Todd would be great, think they need a proper 7 and reckon he's good for another few years.

I feel sorry for Felix Jones. He was thrown into the role far too early but IIRC most people were impressed with him at times and it looked like he had a big future. Someone mentioned on OTB that JVG has a big input into the attack as well so their problems aren't necessarily Felix's fault. Hard to know what's going on but hope he sticks around and comes good.

I think only a lock is needed and a top class attack coach are needed.

FJ was way too inexperienced to take on the role. I don't blame him but the people who put him in the position. It looked like a poor decision at the time and has since proven to be so.

At least the penny seems to have dropped in Munster that the attack is cr@p. If it was anyway average people would continue to ignore them problem but it's so bad now that we might see something done about it.
I thought voicing that opinion was when penny got shown the door
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Surely they have to go for ROG then? They need an attack coach and they need a two or three big names players. Maybe there's scope for one big name player but that'll be it so they should really aim for a high profile coach. Unless he's going to join the Ireland setup (and I wouldn't rule that out) then they should do everything they can to bring him on board.

If he did then I'd love to see who he tried to bring with him. They have a lot of young backs so don't think there's anyone obvious because they'd still have NZ ambitions. Crotty would be perfect on paper but he gets injured an awful lot. Matt Todd would be great, think they need a proper 7 and reckon he's good for another few years.

I feel sorry for Felix Jones. He was thrown into the role far too early but IIRC most people were impressed with him at times and it looked like he had a big future. Someone mentioned on OTB that JVG has a big input into the attack as well so their problems aren't necessarily Felix's fault. Hard to know what's going on but hope he sticks around and comes good.
O'Gara mentioned how smart a player Tim Bateman is. Having a 12 with an outstanding rugby brain could help the attack function better.

"If nothing else, New Zealand has taught him heaps, not least about rugby intellect. “Some of the guys over there are so good they’re nearly player-coaches. It’s not necessarily the household names. There’s a centre called Tim Bateman, who probably didn’t even play five games, yet his knowledge of the game is fascinating.”"
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

bails wrote:Papers reporting that Munster are going looking for a new attack coach

As Ted Hasting would say, "in the name of God" I hope they aren't thinking of looking at any of our coaches

Bad enough playing walking out of contracts, but coaches would really take the biscuit.
They just gave Jones an extension though.....
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

They need a wing or fullback. Conway and earls are good enough, the rest aren't. They also need a decent 7 to join O'Mahony and stander.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 74466.html

Is Rúaidhrí O'Connor a Welsh name? We all know the Pro14 is not without it's issues but the language this is couched in and the general willingness to have a pop at the league from a lot of journos is mad.

To be fair the the Welsh I understand their frustrations. Following regions that until recently have been at war with their union. Being in a league that is run by unions will not be an easy fit under those circumstances.

Is he saying what needs to be said? Or talking down a League which represents the best chance the teams in it have of playing pro rugby?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

He along with several other journo's constantly put down the league.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

He's a dreadful writer and I have stopped reading his efforts. I prefer to get my rugby journalism from Murray Kinsella and our own beloved Mole podcast.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Beat me to it. Just read the article (sorry to admit) and came on here to vent my frustration.
The league certainly has it's issues but they won't be helped by being constantly and consistently undermined by the media.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If you, metaphorically at least, share a desk with E*** M****** and Neil Francis and do nothing about it, you don't get to call yourself a journalist.
I have Bumbleflex
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

In fairness sometimes the league dosent help itself. Having frank Murphy reffing Munster all the time is an absolute joke, I’m sure we will see him at the RDS in a few weeks too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jonny tight lips wrote:In fairness sometimes the league dosent help itself. Having frank Murphy reffing Munster all the time is an absolute joke, I’m sure we will see him at the RDS in a few weeks too.

He reffed them twice. And one of those times was against a club he's a centurion of.
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:In fairness sometimes the league dosent help itself. Having frank Murphy reffing Munster all the time is an absolute joke, I’m sure we will see him at the RDS in a few weeks too.
He played for both Connacht and Munster. If anything I think he was most qualified to ref that match.

But still. Your argument is clutching at straws.

The league doesn't help itself at times by the quality of refereeing at times. Having someone ref a game in which a team they played for 13 years previously were playing is not of any reasonable concern for a league with 200 other fixtures a season
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
He played for both Connacht and Munster. If anything I think he was most qualified to ref that match.

But still. Your argument is clutching at straws.

The league doesn't help itself at times by the quality of refereeing at times. Having someone ref a game in which a team they played for 13 years previously were playing is not of any reasonable concern for a league with 200 other fixtures a season
I disagree, the TOP 14 and premiership manage it, Barnes wasn’t eligible for the champions cup final. Tournaments which are respected by sponsors. It’s only 2 teams he has to avoid reffing.. The most qualified to ref the Munster Connacht game ..... how about Nigel Owens who never player for either team. If it is only two games he reffed surely it wouldn’t of been rocket science to find an alternate fir those two games.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote: I disagree, the TOP 14 and premiership manage it, Barnes wasn’t eligible for the champions cup final. Tournaments which are respected by sponsors. It’s only 2 teams he has to avoid reffing.. The most qualified to ref the Munster Connacht game ..... how about Nigel Owens who never player for either team. If it is only two games he reffed surely it wouldn’t of been rocket science to find an alternate fir those two games.
If you're determined to find an issue with it there's not much point in discussing this tbh...

The using Frank Murphy as an example of issues of this league is a massive reach and if you can't see that I'd have to question your priorities...
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

No referee with any previous association with a club should referee that club at a professional level. It's all about professional integrity
Anyone But New Zealand
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote: I disagree, the TOP 14 and premiership manage it, Barnes wasn’t eligible for the champions cup final. Tournaments which are respected by sponsors. It’s only 2 teams he has to avoid reffing.. The most qualified to ref the Munster Connacht game ..... how about Nigel Owens who never player for either team. If it is only two games he reffed surely it wouldn’t of been rocket science to find an alternate fir those two games.
If you're determined to find an issue with it there's not much point in discussing this tbh...

The using Frank Murphy as an example of issues of this league is a massive reach and if you can't see that I'd have to question your priorities...
It’s perhaps not the biggest issue in the league but it’s a quick fix to make it consistent with the more successful leagues in rugby and also all the other major sports. It just stinks of amateurism and even in well organized amateur sport a ref is sourced from outside the area. I dont see why you would have a problem with tidying this up or how it improves the game to have refs with strong associations with one of the teams ref the match.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Which more successful leagues? There aren't any. Both European Champions are Pro14 teams, the current and previous 6 Nations champions are Pro14 countries. 5/8 of the European Champions Cup quarterfinalists, 50% of the semifinalists and one of the finalists are from the Pro14.
I have Bumbleflex
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

The Pro14 has it's issues but so does Super Rugby/The Premiership/Top 14. There isn't a better league or format out there for us. The unending English media hype about their teams is annoying but at least they get behind their competitions instead of moaning about it constantly which is all that the pathetic Irish and Welsh journalists can manage.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Dave Cahill wrote:Which more successful leagues? There aren't any. Both European Champions are Pro14 teams, the current and previous 6 Nations champions are Pro14 countries. 5/8 of the European Champions Cup quarterfinalists, 50% of the semifinalists and one of the finalists are from the Pro14.
I meant financially successfully, comparing the TV package, sponsorship and gate receipt (attendance can be misleading as it dosent take into account all the cheap seats)

Also the French and English prioritize their their leagues over Europe and yet when it really matters, of the last 10 years of the champions cup 16 finalist are from the uk and France and in the challenge cup I think it’s 19/20.

I’m not shitting on the league, I just think it would be more professional to not have people reffing teams they used to play for.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Which more successful leagues? There aren't any. Both European Champions are Pro14 teams, the current and previous 6 Nations champions are Pro14 countries. 5/8 of the European Champions Cup quarterfinalists, 50% of the semifinalists and one of the finalists are from the Pro14.
I meant financially successfully, comparing the TV package, sponsorship and gate receipt (attendance can be misleading as it dosent take into account all the cheap seats)

Also the French and English prioritize their their leagues over Europe and yet when it really matters, of the last 10 years of the champions cup 16 finalist are from the uk and France and in the challenge cup I think it’s 19/20.

I’m not shitting on the league, I just think it would be more professional to not have people reffing teams they used to play for.
The quality of rugby played in the PRO14 is streets ahead of that in the Premiership or Top 14. That's what counts.

Refereeing is incredibly tough, try it some time.