A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by RoboProp »

Laighin Break wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:55 am The42's description of Munster's comeback was a bit much:

"History has been filled with great comebacks, Elvis at Las Vegas, Liverpool at Istanbul. Now this"

They could have at least included the greatest comeback of all time.
Mate, the meeja making a mess over Munster minutiae is most mundane
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Laighin Break wrote:The42's description of Munster's comeback was a bit much:

"History has been filled with great comebacks, Elvis at Las Vegas, Liverpool at Istanbul. Now this"

I think they probably view that as the biggest capitulation of all time.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Serb
Mullet

A whiff of Cordite

Post by Serb »

Laighin Break wrote:The42's description of Munster's comeback was a bit much:

In fairness, that intro was clearly tongue in cheek. It was a decent comeback, there have been many that were better.

Actually, it reminded me of a far better comeback: Leinster vs Connacht in December 2018. 17 points down with 10 minutes left, Andrew Porter muscles over for the third try in that period with the clock in the red. That was outrageous.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu ... HFsjqjH98E
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

edit . nvm
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Some sense spoken by Andrew Trimble (on The42) on the whole "should an exception me made for Zebo" rubbish:

https://www.facebook.com/11096771896572 ... 929668737/
(Additional rubbish in the comments though)
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: October 24th, 2020, 7:49 am Some sense spoken by Andrew Trimble (on The42) on the whole "should an exception me made for Zebo" rubbish:

Brilliant clip. I recommend it to anyone, who hasn't heard it. Thanks for posting!!!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:29 am
Laighin Break wrote: October 24th, 2020, 7:49 am Some sense spoken by Andrew Trimble (on The42) on the whole "should an exception me made for Zebo" rubbish:

Brilliant clip. I recommend it to anyone, who hasn't heard it. Thanks for posting!!!
ditto
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

He talks sense and it is refreshing to hear among the media scramble to create a story. What I haven't yet heard mention of, however, is that it is much harder to bring Zebo in to the international squad (compared to Sexton) because of his availability. Sexton insisted on having in his Racing contract a provision that allowed him to be released for international matches and training camps. He likely took a financial hit in order to include this. Zebo, AFAIK, doesn't have this. He wouldn't have been available for yesterday's match v Italy, for example. He would also have to be released back to Racing during "rest" weeks in the international window, and he couldn't attend in-season training camps.

The whole discussion is hot air. And here I am contributing to it...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

joooooe wrote: October 25th, 2020, 7:54 am

He talks sense and it is refreshing to hear among the media scramble to create a story. What I haven't yet heard mention of, however, is that it is much harder to bring Zebo in to the international squad (compared to Sexton) because of his availability. Sexton insisted on having in his Racing contract a provision that allowed him to be released for international matches and training camps. He likely took a financial hit in order to include this. Zebo, AFAIK, doesn't have this. He wouldn't have been available for yesterday's match v Italy, for example. He would also have to be released back to Racing during "rest" weeks in the international window, and he couldn't attend in-season training camps.

I feel your pain!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

joooooe wrote:

That’s a really good point though, haven’t heard anyone mention it in the media
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

You have to love this.
Sexton, asked by some hack about POM:
“You love talking about the Munster lads.”
https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1 ... 36960?s=20
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

curates_egg wrote: October 27th, 2020, 1:06 pm You have to love this.
Sexton, asked by some hack about POM:
“You love talking about the Munster lads.”
https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1 ... 36960?s=20
What is it they say about speaking truth to power!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

hahaha brilliant
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

joooooe wrote: October 25th, 2020, 7:54 am

I'm not criticising you, but it really is hot air. A good few, if not most, of the Irish rugby media are talking about it as though it's up for grabs. It's just not. Selecting Irish-based players is a keystone of IRFU policy.

Sexton signed with Racing in January 2013. Nucifora took on the job as IRFU Performance Director in April 2014. Guess how many Irish players who have signed for foreign teams since Nucifora took over have been in an Irish training squad, never mind a team? Zero.

The IRFU f*cking up Sexton's contract negotiations in 2012 – Sexton details his side of the story extensively in his book – was a significant contributing factor to Nucifora's role being created.

Before then the union had a Director of Rugby [Eddie Wigglesworth], a High Performance Manager [Collie McEntee] and a different person handling contract negotiations [HR Director Maurice Dowling] ... and they lost contractual control of the most important player in the team that generates the vast majority of their organisation's income because they waited until three months of the season to pass before opening negotiations. And then they low-balled him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: October 27th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Sexton signed with Racing in January 2013. Nucifora took on the job as IRFU Performance Director in April 2014. Guess how many Irish players who have signed for foreign teams since Nucifora took over have been in an Irish training squad, never mind a team? Zero.

The IRFU f*cking up Sexton's contract negotiations in 2012 – Sexton details his side of the story extensively in his book – was a significant contributing factor to Nucifora's role being created.

Before then the union had a Director of Rugby [Eddie Wigglesworth], a High Performance Manager [Collie McEntee] and a different person handling contract negotiations [HR Director Maurice Dowling] ... and they lost contractual control of the most important player in the team that generates the vast majority of their organisation's income because they waited until three months of the season to pass before opening negotiations. And then they low-balled him.
Just to be a pedant, I think it would be more accurate to say that the Sexton farrago accelerated the filling of the Performance Director role, it had already been created in 2005(!) but never filled(!!), and there was no particular urgency from the Union in filling it until summer 2012 when it was finally advertised nearly two years (!!!) before an appointment was made
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 27th, 2020, 5:36 pm Just to be a pedant, I think it would be more accurate to say that the Sexton farrago accelerated the filling of the Performance Director role, it had already been created in 2005(!) but never filled(!!), and there was no particular urgency from the Union in filling it until summer 2012 when it was finally advertised nearly two years (!!!) before an appointment was made
The good old days.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't know why I do this to myself but I read Cummiskey's stuff yesterday...what an attitude that guy has. For a start, everything was negative, not just about Ireland but every story in the "fun" section was too. Everything he said was so snide, even just the player ratings. I don't have the exact quote in front of me but his comment on Ross Byrne was something like "kicked his points, whoop de doo". I can see why Rob told him to f%~k off in Japan and I'd love if the IRFU and the IT did too. He pointedly referred to Bealham being Australian as well.

I don't think I've ever come across a sports journalist who hates the sport they cover quite as much as he does. I could understand if he was a football journalist in the UK where there are so many opportunities, but for him to have one of the biggest gigs like that in a small pond like ours just blows my mind.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: December 1st, 2020, 5:40 pm Don't know why I do this to myself but I read Cummiskey's stuff yesterday...what an attitude that guy has. For a start, everything was negative, not just about Ireland but every story in the "fun" section was too. Everything he said was so snide, even just the player ratings. I don't have the exact quote in front of me but his comment on Ross Byrne was something like "kicked his points, whoop de doo". I can see why Rob told him to f%~k off in Japan and I'd love if the IRFU and the IT did too. He pointedly referred to Bealham being Australian as well.

I don't think I've ever come across a sports journalist who hates the sport they cover quite as much as he does. I could understand if he was a football journalist in the UK where there are so many opportunities, but for him to have one of the biggest gigs like that in a small pond like ours just blows my mind.
Dreadful stuff. ************ must be turning in his grave!!!
Last edited by riocard911 on December 2nd, 2020, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Are you sure he is deceased?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

bgmusic wrote: December 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm Are you sure he is deceased?
I'm not, would you believe? After I'd written that about "turning in the grave" I tried to double check and couldn't find confirmation for what was an assumption on my part. I'd delete that comment now, if I knew how. Maybe the moderator(s) could be so kind?.....