A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jcahill1
Bookworm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Jcahill1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:12 pm I’d disagree too. It’s the only paper I ever buy (not daily) and a lot of my friends would be the same, or at least it’s the only Irish paper that they’d read online. That and the guardian are pretty much the only papers/websites we all read.

I realise this is very small example but even at the barbers (remember them?) it’s always the IT that people are looking to read from the selection that’s on the table.
I'm the same, early 20s and read the guardian and the irish times as my main news sources.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sorry just to clarify, we all get news from elsewhere (the journal is probably my main one now because of twitter) but in terms of actual papers the IT is still very much a thing for people my age.

Funnily enough, a lot of people were messaging earlier about the homeless man in UCD who was found dead yesterday but there was very little info and no decent articles. A few minutes ago a friend of mine sent an excellent IT article about it and a third person in the group had already read it!

I'm sure a lot of people on here will know who I'm talking about, highly recommend that article.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

For decades I read the IT & The Guardian religiously. The latter has sunk dramatically in my estimation since the Snowden revelations, when they caved in to MI6, essentially divested themselves of their best nat-sec writers such as Ian Cobain and Richard Norton-Taylor, stabbed Julian Assange in the back - incl. printing front-page lies about Paul Manafort supposedly having visited him in the Ecuadorian embassy in the company of unknown "Russians" -, and played a leading role in the campaign of calumny - "anti-Semitism"- against Jeremy Corbyn in order to prevent any chance of him becoming prime minister via the ballot box.

As for our own IT they have some good writers such as Fintan O'Toole, but their mix of insipid latté liberalism from Roisin Ingle et al and hardcore defence of the status quo with all its grave inequities by the likes of Stephen Collins and Pat Leahy I find unpalatable.

Personally I think the Examiner with reporters such as Aoife Moore is currently doing a much better job covering the political developments in Ireland.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:19 pmplayed a leading role in the campaign of calumny - "anti-Semitism"- against Jeremy Corbyn in order to prevent any chance of him becoming prime minister via the ballot box.
The leader of an anti-semitic party (as declared by the independent from UK government Equality and Human Rights Commission) wasn't anti-semitic? Ok then.

Funny how people on here going off on one about "fascists" in every government right of Stalin on here are happy to ignore their own Nazi like comrades.

And the Graun were quite happy to ignore it for the most part, merely reporting accusations while their opinion pieces ignored or criticised them.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:24 pm
riocard911 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:19 pmplayed a leading role in the campaign of calumny - "anti-Semitism"- against Jeremy Corbyn in order to prevent any chance of him becoming prime minister via the ballot box.
The leader of an anti-semitic party (as declared by the independent from UK government Equality and Human Rights Commission) wasn't anti-semitic? Ok then.

Funny how people on here going off on one about "fascists" in every government right of Stalin on here are happy to ignore their own Nazi like comrades.

And the Graun were quite happy to ignore it for the most part, merely reporting accusations while their opinion pieces ignored or criticised them.
Corbyn was cleared on numerous occasions of any anti-semitism. See:

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/l ... -happening

I apologise already for my original post re IT & Grauniad, which has nothing to do with rugby, and was probably too wide-ranging and provocative in its claims.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

riocard911 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:19 pm For decades I read the IT & The Guardian religiously. The latter has sunk dramatically in my estimation since the Snowden revelations, when they caved in to MI6, essentially divested themselves of their best nat-sec writers such as Ian Cobain and Richard Norton-Taylor, stabbed Julian Assange in the back - incl. printing front-page lies about Paul Manafort supposedly having visited him in the Ecuadorian embassy in the company of unknown "Russians" -, and played a leading role in the campaign of calumny - "anti-Semitism"- against Jeremy Corbyn in order to prevent any chance of him becoming prime minister via the ballot box.

As for our own IT they have some good writers such as Fintan O'Toole, but their mix of insipid latté liberalism from Roisin Ingle et al and hardcore defence of the status quo with all its grave inequities by the likes of Stephen Collins and Pat Leahy I find unpalatable.

Personally I think the Examiner with reporters such as Aoife Moore is currently doing a much better job covering the political developments in Ireland.
:shock:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:26 pm John O'Sullivan quietly does good work on the rugby side; I'd be happy if he got the Cummiskey jobs.
You’re right, and I should moderate my previous dismissal of the IT rugby page outright. O’Sullivan does a good job but it is hard to see it for the drivel shoveled up by Cummisky and the pompous Munster newsletter churned out by GT.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

curates_egg wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:07 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:34 pm It's the Irish times. Honestly it's rugby coverage is the least of its worries. They've maintained an obsequious cheerleading of the government all the way to the highest rate of infection in the world, decided that illegal government leaks are just fine. There are lots of fine young journalists in this country offering good reporting on the government and the pandemic.

None of them are in the Irish Times.
I don't agree with most of that.
I think are still very good journalists in the Irish Times.
I found their coverage of the pandemic more balanced than most Irish outlets.

[Anyone relying solely on pearl-clutching millennials, working for the online publications and masquerading blue-tick opinion as journalism, got a very one-sided perspective and there was, consequently, a very skewed national debate. Certainly, that is my perception from also being exposed to the media in two other non-English-speaking countries.
Anybody now blaming the government for your infection rate, must also blame it for Ireland long being among the lowest rates in Europe in late autumn/early winter, when Ireland initially missed the second wave that spread throughout Europe.
La verite reste probablement au milieu - the severe and premature October lockdown probably sowed the seeds for what happened in December (both in terms of social behaviour and receptive infection hosts). Of course, the extent of the reopening seemed at the time to be too much, as it subsequently proved. But it is far too facile to blame the government solely for that and not take into account the wider context. Certainly, while journalists should rightly hold the government to account for its role and blame, they should also provide the context.]

Anyway, the Irish Times rugby page has been poor for a decade.
And there are certainly a few very good rugby journalists in some of the online publications (Murray Kinsella being obviously the top of the pile).

All that notwithstanding, Cummisky takes a particular biscuit.
I am in violent agreement with every line of this.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:41 am
fourthirtythree wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:34 pm It's the Irish times. Honestly it's rugby coverage is the least of its worries. They've maintained an obsequious cheerleading of the government all the way to the highest rate of infection in the world, decided that illegal government leaks are just fine. There are lots of fine young journalists in this country offering good reporting on the government and the pandemic.

None of them are in the Irish Times.

[Anyone relying solely on pearl-clutching millennials, working for the online publications and masquerading blue-tick opinion as journalism, got a very one-sided perspective and there was, consequently, a very skewed national debate. Certainly, that is my perception from also being exposed to the media in two other non-English-speaking countries.
Anybody now blaming the government for your infection rate, must also blame it for Ireland long being among the lowest rates in Europe in late autumn/early winter, when Ireland initially missed the second wave that spread throughout Europe.
La verite reste probablement au milieu - the severe and premature October lockdown probably sowed the seeds for what happened in December (both in terms of social behaviour and receptive infection hosts). Of course, the extent of the reopening seemed at the time to be too much, as it subsequently proved. But it is far too facile to blame the government solely for that and not take into account the wider context. Certainly, while journalists should rightly hold the government to account for its role and blame, they should also provide the context.]

And there are certainly a few very good rugby journalists in some of the online publications (Murray Kinsella being obviously the top of the pile).

Every single line?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:41 am
backrower8 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:41 am

Every single line?
He’s obviously a millennial with a blue tick and an unfailing belief in his own righteousness.
And - if he even disagrees with the last line - is probably Cummisky.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 13th, 2021, 2:41 am
Every single line?
:lol:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

"It’s hard to generate cordite when there’s no fans, sub-zero temperatures and possibly snow in the air but if anybody can do it it’s this pair"

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 5?mode=amp

It’s a wonderful GT parody:

“Mano-a-mano”

“a throbbing full house” :shock:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LOCKED AND LOADED
LOCKED AND LOADED
LOCKED AND LOADED
LOCKED AND LOADED
LOCKED AND LOADED
LOCKED AND LOADED

ad infinitum
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I presume there is . Assuredly
and of course. the late kick off time will be conducive to a raucous atmosphere
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Cardiff now have played 12 games ... is there a plan for more conference games after the initial 11 and if so dose anybody know the plan?
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Cardiff now have played 12 games ... is there a plan for more conference games after the initial 11 and if so dose anybody know the plan?
That Cardiff game is from round 14. The plan is to play 16 rounds and then a final. The 16 rounds are your own conference home and away, and the other conference one game each.
Compared to normal that means we lose out on 2 inter Pro games (as in the second game against the provinces in the other conference). But we get one of those games back in the rainbow Cup.
This all supposes both the lions and the rainbow Cup go ahead. The rainbow Cup is supposed to be a warm up for the sa teams so if the lions is postponed it's likely the rainbow Cup will be axed too.
In that case, nothing had been announced, but there is enough weekends to extend the pro 14/12, not only to play the inter pros that were missed, and qf, SF and final. But also to play everybody in the other conference twice making it more comparable to the old pro 12.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

heno wrote: January 24th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote:Cardiff now have played 12 games ... is there a plan for more conference games after the initial 11 and if so dose anybody know the plan?
That Cardiff game is from round 14. The plan is to play 16 rounds and then a final. The 16 rounds are your own conference home and away, and the other conference one game each.
Compared to normal that means we lose out on 2 inter Pro games (as in the second game against the provinces in the other conference). But we get one of those games back in the rainbow Cup.
This all supposes both the lions and the rainbow Cup go ahead. The rainbow Cup is supposed to be a warm up for the sa teams so if the lions is postponed it's likely the rainbow Cup will be axed too.
In that case, nothing had been announced, but there is enough weekends to extend the pro 14/12, not only to play the inter pros that were missed, and qf, SF and final. But also to play everybody in the other conference twice making it more comparable to the old pro 12.

Cheers I thought they canceled the home and away fixtures for your own conference this year. With the two staffers gone if there is no rainbow tournament I’d live if they just merged the conferences and did gone and away like a proper leave and then to a semi finals stage or even just a final stage. It’s a bit stupid that you could finish 4th in a leave and win the thing. Then again my ultimate preference would be for no playoffs and the best team over the season wins, play offs are just trading sporting integrity for some ticket money IMO.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I don't think they will do away with the conferences. With all the changes being forced, they will want to keep some stability. And the adoption of conferences is a strategic part of the plan for the league. It would be seen as a bit of a climb down if they got rid of them now, even if only one season.

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4466608

Haven't read his drivel in a long time; now I know why. Mute point!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

desperado wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:51 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4466608

Haven't read his drivel in a long time; now I know why. Mute point!
I didn’t make it past Logan Roy.

Jaysis, Cummiskey is a total frocking tool