Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:Just said on the radio that Donald and Louw have been passed fit to play on Sunday
Hadn't even heard they were a doubt :shock:

Bathfan122:

A load of us will be heading over to this game so there should be a great atmosphere on Sunday afternoon (and Saturday night :wink: ). Most people, including myself, feel we should win this game but I seriously doubt your team will roll over. I expect a tough game with plenty of nervy moments for us but I do expect to win.

Here's to a great game :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Nervous as hell about this game now. Can't but feel we are being set up for a fall. No one not even Sky! are giving Bath a chance. I don't think they are that bad a side and home advantage is always worth a lot especially in the HC. I just hope that the players heads are right which I am sure they are.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Everyone calm down, we're the better team. I don't mean any disrespect to Bath but if we don't win then we'll all be raging because we're so much better on paper. They also had a tough game last week whereas we've been able to rest a lot of our frontliners over the last couple of weeks but still had them ticking over so they won't be rusty. Just can't see anything other than a win. Once we get into our stride we're really difficult to stop and I just don't think they have a set piece that can disrupt that.

Then again it could be played in a monsoon and end up being a complete lottery. Barring something like that though I fully expect a win.
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

Does anyone else get the sneaky feeling Fergus is going to be named at 13 today, in light of Bath's fairly meaty centres?

I share your nerves, Homer. Being made overwhelming favourites for an away game in Europe against a pedigree sides makes me a bit edgy. I have faith in Joe to get the mindset right though.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

I agree with you about Joe he has been superb so far and seems to be only getting better. I still feel we should beat them but don't think it will be as easy as everyone thinks.
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

If McFadden doesn’t start I’d like to see Carr on the bench. With 65 / 70 minutes on the clock, bringing him on when the opposition defense is getting a bit lose could cause havoc.

It would be harsh on Ferg though.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Well Dave Kearney isnt in the squad anyway, he's starting at 15 for the 'A'team
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Team Named:

15Rob Kearney
14Isa Nacewa
13Fergus McFadden
12Gordon D'Arcy
11Luke Fitzgerald
10Johnny Sexton
9Isaac Boss
1Heinke Van Der Merwe
2Richardt Strauss
3Mike Ross
4Leo Cullen
5Damian Browne
6Kevin McLaughlin
7Sean O'Brien
8Jamie Heaslip

16Sean Cronin17Cian Healy18Nathan White19Devin Toner20Shane Jennings21Eoin Reddan22Ian Madigan23Eoin O'Malley
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Homer wrote:Team Named:

15Rob Kearney
14Isa Nacewa
13Fergus McFadden
12Gordon D'Arcy
11Luke Fitzgerald
10Johnny Sexton
9Isaac Boss
1Heinke Van Der Merwe
2Richardt Strauss
3Mike Ross
4Leo Cullen
5Damian Browne
6Kevin McLaughlin
7Sean O'Brien
8Jamie Heaslip

16Sean Cronin17Cian Healy18Nathan White19Devin Toner20Shane Jennings21Eoin Reddan22Ian Madigan23Eoin O'Malley
If that's the team not happy. Hate seeing Jenno on the bench. Where is Carr? Not in either squad :? Very hard on O'Malley. Healy one is odd
Last edited by Scott on December 9th, 2011, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Homer wrote:Team Named:

15Rob Kearney
14Isa Nacewa
13Fergus McFadden
12Gordon D'Arcy
11Luke Fitzgerald
10Johnny Sexton
9Isaac Boss
1Heinke Van Der Merwe
2Richardt Strauss
3Mike Ross
4Leo Cullen
5Damian Browne
6Kevin McLaughlin
7Sean O'Brien
8Jamie Heaslip

Where do you see that? Not on leinster website? Really dissapointed with that team, back row is wrong, second row is wrong, 13 is wrong. Much less confident after seeing that team
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

On the ERC website.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

14 and 15 are strange. Are we never to see Cian Healy and Mike Ross start again?
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Homer wrote:On the ERC website.
Up on leinster website now! Why is McFadden starting at 13? Makes no sense? Obviously going for a power game with mcfadden, browne and mclaughlin in the team but still a poor selection IMO
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

O'Malley should be seriously pissed off, has been flawless. Really disappointing selection.
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

[quote="bluemagic"][quote="Homer"]back row is wrong, second row is wrong, 13 is wrong.

It's difficult to accept that that's a pure Joe Schmidt selection. It seems like the Kidney policy is really beginning to affect the provinces now.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Second time this year I've been annoyed with the selection, which is a strange complaint in itself but we're just so used to Joe getting it right.
Locky has been underpowered at 6 for us this year, and I presume he's in to make up for Browne, but Bath's lineout is awful. Would Ruddock not have been a better option?
Toner, O Malley and Jennings should be rightly pissed off imo.

At least the bench is strong very strong.

Do Bath have to name their team today, or is it different for a Sun game?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

HEC tactic (esp for away games) seems to be to pick the biggest team available and soak up the pressure, before bringing on the guys who like a loose game (Cronin, Jennings, Reddan, Madigan, O'Malley) Add Healy and White to that list and there's a lot of pace (and pent-up frustration) on that bench.

I hate to see Jennings on the bench, I don't think Ferg defends his outside shoulder well at 13, but he'll probably have Banahan facing him, which makes the job a little easier. I hate to see Nacewa wasted on the wing, but at least he's on the pitch.

I can understand the lineup, but I question where the tries will come from. Front row - unlikely, second row - very unlikely, back row - maybe, halfbacks - maybe, centres - unlikely, back three - maybe. If you're banking on staying in touch until the subs come in, that smacks a little of conservatism, which I didn't think Joe was into. But I trust the guy, I think he's a breath of fresh air and I hope he's not slipping into a slightly defensive mindset.
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

The negativity here is astounding.....Do people think that Joe doesn't know what he is doing and that he is not picking players for a reason??? Weather forecast isn't great in Bath so he is picking as massive a pack as he can to combat Bath's only possible hope against us and also having the extra power of McFadden in the centre's. The more mobile and athletic players will come on once the game opens up.

Lets all remember that the season continues until end of May and he will be using the time to bring guys in, not over play others and give various combinations games and doesn't seem to believe that everything revolves around the starting 15 unlike most Irish coaches.
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Smacks of a horses for courses away selection. Dig in to the trenches for 60 minutes, and then up the tempo with the bench. Completely unsurprised by Ferg ahead of EOM at 13, Banahan is a big unit. 14 and 15 was always going to be called this way, I've been impressed with RK at 15 this year to date, obv Isa was an animal last year but give him time, he could be equally effective on the wing. Again, Browne seems to be the away selection to beef up the pack, as has been noted,we should really dominate the set piece, this, allied with Kev Mc, will only increase our strength here. Looks like we're going to try to dominate them totally up front.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

QBer wrote:back row is wrong, second row is wrong, 13 is wrong.

It's difficult to accept that that's a pure Joe Schmidt selection. It seems like the Kidney policy is really beginning to affect the provinces now.
That's just silly.

The right 23 guys are there. Perhaps not in the order you would like them, I would say I had as much influence on that team as Kidney.

He is going to batter them up front with Browne, Kev and Bossy. Then bring on the 3 we would have started.

Move their pack around with multiphase rucks across the park, moving the point of attack to tire their pack. Then cut them to ribbons in the last quarter with Jeno Redser and toner in the lineout for quick ball.

Edit: Sorry everyone else made the same point while I was typing. :oops: