Bath v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: Bath v Leinster

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Degz wrote:Smacks of a horses for courses away selection. Dig in to the trenches for 60 minutes, and then up the tempo with the bench. Completely unsurprised by Ferg ahead of EOM at 13, Banahan is a big unit. 14 and 15 was always going to be called this way, I've been impressed with RK at 15 this year to date, obv Isa was an animal last year but give him time, he could be equally effective on the wing. Again, Browne seems to be the away selection to beef up the pack, as has been noted,we should really dominate the set piece, this, allied with Kev Mc, will only increase our strength here. Looks like we're going to try to dominate them totally up front.
No No No
He should have picked O'Malley, Jennings, Carr, Ruddock, Nacewa at 15, Dave Kearney and Rob K on the B&I team. If he didn't he obviously knows nothing about rugby.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

From Twitter: Team v Leinster - Abendanon Cuthbert Hipkiss Barkley Banahan Donald Claassens Flatman Biller Wilson Attwood Caldwell Louw ©, Mercer & Taylor - Subs v Leinster - Beech Catt Perenise Spencer Beattie Cook Heathcote & Vesty
Last edited by Homer on December 9th, 2011, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

It makes sense, most comments on Bath have talked about a big powerful but unfit front five. We play a team to out muscle them, no doubt also playing a high tempo game. Then when they don't have the gas to go on (presumably about 50mins if we've done our job right) we bring on our most dynamic players and up the pace significantly and watch them crumble.

We can win with the first part of the tactic alone, we can bonus point win using the second half of the tactic.
Last edited by neilinboston on December 9th, 2011, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Hmmm, Banahan on the wing. I expect we'll still see him carrying in midfield, but I was expecting him to start at 13.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Would agree with what most people have said. Disappointed for O'Malley in partiulcar although it's not like Ferg doesn't deserve his place too I suppose. Would have played Jennings too although thought his performance last week was overhyped, he dropped a lot of balls as well as all the good stuff he did. Feel sorry for Toner as well, a game like this is perfect for testing his mettle and putting himself in the shop window for Ireland and of our 4 locks Browne is the last one I'd have started.

Agree that it's horses for courses though so as long as there's a few changes to next weeks starting team then this selection won't bother me as much.

As has been pointed out, our bench has great impact although I don't envisage us seeing Madigan or O'Malley unless there's injury or the game is sewn up.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is Banahan (presuming he's playing) dropping the ball at least twice, he's always good for a laugh.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Homer wrote:Team Named:

15Rob Kearney
14Isa Nacewa
13Fergus McFadden
12Gordon D'Arcy
11Luke Fitzgerald
10Johnny Sexton
9Isaac Boss
1Heinke Van Der Merwe
2Richardt Strauss
3Mike Ross
4Leo Cullen
5Damian Browne
6Kevin McLaughlin
7Sean O'Brien
8Jamie Heaslip

16Sean Cronin17Cian Healy18Nathan White19Devin Toner20Shane Jennings21Eoin Reddan22Ian Madigan23Eoin O'Malley
I suspect that team has been picked with one eye on the weather for sunday. I'd imagine it'll be a slugfest to start with and if it is dry or the game opens up then the bench will be used.

Though i would have taken a chance on Toner. He has been much better in contact this season and he seems to be more solid in the scrum. The advantage he gives in the lineout is worth taking the chance imo.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Degz wrote:Hmmm, Banahan on the wing. I expect we'll still see him carrying in midfield, but I was expecting him to start at 13.
Pity he didn't. Their 10 12 13 looks decent. Is Barkley fully fit? Donald was a doubt at one stage too, and Louw.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That Bath bench is very weak.

Restarts will be key on Sunday, Bath have plenty of players who can put pressure on us and we won't be as solid with Browne there. I'm not overly concerned about it but it must just knock us out of our stride and give them some momentum and belief if they do put us under pressure there.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

johng wrote:
Degz wrote:Hmmm, Banahan on the wing. I expect we'll still see him carrying in midfield, but I was expecting him to start at 13.
Pity he didn't. Their 10 12 13 looks decent. Is Barkley fully fit? Donald was a doubt at one stage too, and Louw.
Indeed. He is a one-trick pony, and he's not even that competent at his one trick. However, I get the feeling that was why FmcF got the nod over EOM, so we'll see how they play it now.

We'll certainly be seeing Seany launched into the ten channel to test out Donald's fitness. What was the injury, do you know?
Homer
Bookworm

Post by Homer »

Hand injury for Donald. They have two big wings 6"7 and 6"5 I'm sure we will see plenty of cross field kicks. Looking at the two squads it will be close for the first 50/60 and hopefully our bench will make the difference.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Degz wrote: We'll certainly be seeing Seany launched into the ten channel to test out Donald's fitness. What was the injury, do you know?
Dunno what was wrong with Donald. He should have a bit of cushioning about the midriff to soften the blow from Seanie. :)
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Sykes kicking his heels this weekend? Not in A squad either :?
Injured again?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scott wrote:Sykes kicking his heels this weekend? Not in A squad either :?
Injured again?
Hardly him Rhys AND Carr all travelling to Bath as backup? Perhaps Joe was hedging his bets as he named his team first?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Would agree with what most people have said. Disappointed for O'Malley in partiulcar although it's not like Ferg doesn't deserve his place too I suppose. Would have played Jennings too although thought his performance last week was overhyped, he dropped a lot of balls as well as all the good stuff he did. Feel sorry for Toner as well, a game like this is perfect for testing his mettle and putting himself in the shop window for Ireland and of our 4 locks Browne is the last one I'd have started.

Agree that it's horses for courses though so as long as there's a few changes to next weeks starting team then this selection won't bother me as much.

As has been pointed out, our bench has great impact although I don't envisage us seeing Madigan or O'Malley unless there's injury or the game is sewn up.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is Banahan (presuming he's playing) dropping the ball at least twice, he's always good for a laugh.
Jennings now hasn't been selected to start, when fit, for the last five HEC games. He hasn't started one since the away game against Racing Metro last January and that was when Heaslip was injured and McLoughlin was only just returning from long-term injury (was he even in the HEC squad at that stage?). Seems that Kev - Seanie - Jamie is the preferred starting back-row for Joe and the other coaches.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

cormac wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Would agree with what most people have said. Disappointed for O'Malley in partiulcar although it's not like Ferg doesn't deserve his place too I suppose. Would have played Jennings too although thought his performance last week was overhyped, he dropped a lot of balls as well as all the good stuff he did. Feel sorry for Toner as well, a game like this is perfect for testing his mettle and putting himself in the shop window for Ireland and of our 4 locks Browne is the last one I'd have started.

Jennings now hasn't been selected to start, when fit, for the last five HEC games. He hasn't started one since the away game against Racing Metro last January and that was when Heaslip was injured and McLoughlin was only just returning from long-term injury (was he even in the HEC squad at that stage?). Seems that Kev - Seanie - Jamie is the preferred starting back-row for Joe and the other coaches.
Which is odd because every time he plays he has a stormer. He will come of the bench and make a huge difference but i would start him every time
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

McFadden deserves his place and his greater physicality than O'Malley makes him the right choice for this match. Great to have Eoin on the bench and he can come on and exploit a tired opposition midfield if required.
Tough call on Toner. I can only assume that Browne is in to help the scrum. McLaughlin lucky to be in ahead of Jennings who is playing very well. Possibly might have gone the other way is Toner was there to secure lineout ball.
Strauss ahead of Cronin is a strange call. Take it Healy isn't 100% fit as Van Der Merwe is in ahead of him.

If we can match their scrum we should win. Forecast is for a lot of rain so seems a battle lies ahead. Four points would be a fantastic result.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That Bath bench is very weak.

Restarts will be key on Sunday, Bath have plenty of players who can put pressure on us and we won't be as solid with Browne there. I'm not overly concerned about it but it must just knock us out of our stride and give them some momentum and belief if they do put us under pressure there.
What do we know about the bench? Vesty I recognise. I seem to remember that great things were expected of Andy Beatie but that was probably a number of years ago. What about the rest?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

Bath Rugby team to face Leinster

15. Nick Abendanon

14. Jack Cuthbert

13. Dan Hipkiss

12. Olly Barkley

11. Matt Banahan

10. Stephen Donald

9. Michael Claassens

1. David Flatman

2. Chris Biller

3. David Wilson

4. Dave Attwood

5. Ryan Caldwell

6. Francois Louw (c)

7. Guy Mercer

8. Simon Taylor

Replacements

16. Charlie Beech

17. Nathan Catt

18. Anthony Perenise

19. Will Spencer

20. Andy Beattie

21. Chris Cook

22. Tom Heathcote

23. Sam Vesty
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Barring Healy being available inplace of Jack McGrath, this is the exact same team that we sent to Montpellier. We have options on the bench, we have some good players starting.

It's nice to have some positions where the strength/form is such that they're open to debate.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Backs are decent. We should cope in the pack though.