Leinster V Bath (return fixture)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster V Bath (return fixture)

Post by TerenureJim »

Edna Kenny wrote:We might hear some knowledge and wisdom about fruits and fruit salad from BOD too.

Is there going to be the same pre-match show as last year? Will Greenwood was cracking up watching the martial arts Santas and then blue Santa appeared in about -9C, he must have been freezing in the cracker. It was pretty entertaining though so I hope they do something similar this year.
I hear they've hired the drag queens out of the George to do the Leinster Ladyboys Can-Can just to give Neil Francis an excuse to dig up his old addage so we can slag him off on here
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

tate wrote:
jezzer wrote:I want Isa at 15, EOM at 13, Reddan at 9, Healy at 1, Strauss at 2, Jennings at 7 and Kev at 6

Won't get it.
Resting SOB? Dropping SOB? Hiding SOB?

I would love to see Kev back in the engine room with Ruddock starting at 6 for a few games, not big games obviously. Get us ready for Jenno's retirement. Giving us a backrow of RR, SOB, JH
Rotating SOB! Guy is clearly tired and maybe a little "gamesmanship" with him over the missed try last week would produce a very good reaction for 20-30 mins.

I want EOM at centre and Isa at FB because there is clearly a lot of space out wide and in broken play, away from their pretty suffocating defence (they do that same concentrated arc of defenders in the 10-12 channel that I was banging on about in the Connacht thread a while back - seems to be the latest fad and it works pretty well if you can restrict supply beyond it) I can't believe I'm picking O'Malley on the basis he's more likely to pass than someone else, but he seems to have fixed that flaw in his game and is technically a good passer. Also more likely to get a clean line break than Ferg from 13.

Who plays wing? My preference would be D Kearney, but he might not be ready for Banahan, so I'd probably say Ferg.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Blåränderna wrote:I think we should try and go for the most physical team possible and aim to bully Bath early on, they'll crack after a while and that'll be that, not sure there's a bonus point on but we should be aiming for it.
Is anyone else at a loss as to why Bath signed Stephen Donald btw?
That seemed to be the plan for the away fixture, and it didn't quite work - was a bit of a stalemate in the first half. I don't mean that negatively, that was a very physical 40 minutes from both sides and I enjoyed it.

Alan Quinlan in the IT today wrote from experience of teams who were muck all season raising their game against the reigning champions as a lifeline to turn their season around. That's what Bath did, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of credit here for them. Can they do it two games on the trot?

We tried duking it out. I 'd rather see us play an expansive game from the start. A dodgy intercept for a flukey try from them, then okay - we go back to the "away" plan that Schmidt seems to favour.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Start Jenno, Healy & Reddan and go for a expansive high tempo game they can't live with. Blow them away early, then bring the sluggers on to close it out..
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

[Jackass] wrote:Start Jenno, Healy & Reddan and go for a expansive high tempo game they can't live with. Blow them away early, then bring the sluggers on to close it out..
Whether Schmidt starts Jennings or McLaughlin for this game will say a lot about Jenning's position in the pecking order. It's been looking to me, judging by the HC final to now, that Jennings has slipped into the ageing out process of being a valued mature player but second choice in the eyes of the coach. If he starts then I switch opinion and classify him along with Healy as simply subject to Schmid'ts rotation policy. - Schmidt does make things very difficult to read.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

looking at last years back to back v Clermont is interesting. Away game : started VDM and Boss, home Healy and Reddan. No Locky; Dom Ryan on the bench for both - came on for ankle injury (AFAIK) to Heaslip (who subequently carried that thro a series of games. Back row was SOB, Jenno, Heaslip for both games. Scary thing was Newland was bench at TH for both games. Nice guy but Jaysus we were paper thin at TH if Ross got injured.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

[Jackass] wrote:Start Jenno, Healy & Reddan and go for a expansive high tempo game they can't live with. Blow them away early, then bring the sluggers on to close it out..
That's the standard from Joe in the HC since his arrival so It'll be more of the same on Saturday. I think the lads will be itching to get out and tear into Bath. They know they haven't hit top gear yet. Will Greenwoood said it was the game against Clermont last season in the Aviva in which Leinster set down a marker for the tournament and subsequently never looked back.

I'd love to see starting

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

Won't happen but there you go.
3 Gold Stars
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: I'd love to see starting

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

I like the team especially the midfield pairing btu I hope Joe goes with Toner to partner Leo. I'd like to see that partnership solidify and develop Toner into the player we all hope he can be.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

TerenureJim wrote:

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

I like the team especially the midfield pairing btu I hope Joe goes with Toner to partner Leo. I'd like to see that partnership solidify and develop Toner into the player we all hope he can be.
Toner has put in some excellent performances this season but alas I fear if we are to retain the HC & for future seasons then I think we need more agression/abrasion/violence, call it what you will from Toner. Not sure he has it. Would love to be proved wrong as i'd like nothing more than to see him make that position his own.
In a semi final dog fight against the likes of Toulouse, Clermont or Leicester he'll be found wanting imho.
3 Gold Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

Toner has put in some excellent performances this season but alas I fear if we are to retain the HC & for future seasons then I think we need more agression/abrasion/violence, call it what you will from Toner. Not sure he has it. Would love to be proved wrong as i'd like nothing more than to see him make that position his own.
In a semi final dog fight against the likes of Toulouse, Clermont or Leicester he'll be found wanting imho.
You could be right, but I think Toner is a "thinking" player and could combine very well with Browne or another grunt. We don't need him as an enforcer.
Sure a bit more agression/abrasion/violence would be nice, but not essential. Other teams no longer see us a soft touch in that regard.
I would like him to get that kind of dogfight experience, because I think he has what it takes to learn from it and adapt to it (ie rise to the challenge).
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I think there are questions marks all over the team over who will start, which is a good thing.

I am struggling to be happy with the set-piece this season though, I feel our scrum has been very up and down (and quality of scrum has varried hugely) and I'm trying to pin-point who's on when it does better / worse.

I know Mike Ross was a saviour to our scrum and has been a rock for Ireland, but is anyone else feeling he's been slightly measured at this point? I can't help but notice, quite simply, a staggering difference in our scrum when Healy is on vs Van Der Merwe (in Healy's favour), but also I'm starting to feel Ross is under serious pressure always at scrum time too. Hagan, to be fair, isn't at the races when it comes to Heineken Cup standard, and it's a shame, I thought he was further along the development line than he actually is, but time and size is most definitely on his side, but maybe a front row of Healy and White would be our strongest?

It's good to have the dilemma at hooker too, although Cronin had a bad day at the office when he came on against Bath (turned over for try, lineout poor, think he gave away a silly penalty too), Strauss is Mr. Consistant when it comes to set-piece and performance, but his impact in the loose has diminished somewhat...but Strauss still best hooker in Ireland imo, and I think he'll be first choice 2 for Ireland this time next year also.

Second row there's a lot to dispute also, but not really in a good way. We're not blessed with quality, but anyone want to cheer me up and tell me that Sykes is a great player? From (admittedly) the very small amount I've seen of him, he's been far from great, think Browne is very usefull too...but again, back to scrum, I think Toner just isn't powerfull enough, andmaybe his frame is awkward, but he's too "light weight" (in terms of power, not actual weight) to ever be top class imo. Great squad player though and always gives 100%, rarely ever lets us down.

Back-row, I just can't understand how Jenno would not be seen as one of the most crucial players to have on the field at all times. Locky is quality, but not a starter I don't think. I know Joe is very tactically minded, so starting locky and wearing them down and bringing Jenno on when they tiring to secure quick ball, and bring Reddan on to feed it out etc. makes sense, but I think our performance dips SO much when we try and play a containment, purely physical game plan, it doesn't suit our squad or individual abilities, and I think it's a flawed game plan that's repeated.

It gets results, but I think we would have done better just sticking to our natural game plan and not try to over think it or be too clever...

Reddan & Boss is a great combination though, couldn't be happier with the options.

Centre, again an issue, loads of options, but maybe O'Malley has done enough to be given a run in the 13 jersey? Again I feel the D'Arcy / McFadden combo is all about this physical, bash um up game plan (along with Boss over Reddan), but I think it's not a very creative combo, and again, stiffles our natural game plan and style of play imo.

Back 3 solid, and great options. Really want to see Conway and Carr get game time in league,preferably together, as the pace in that back 3 would be superb.

Sorry, turned into a bit of a "state of the nation" address, but just wanted to see how people feel about the various combinations..
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
That's the standard from Joe in the HC since his arrival so It'll be more of the same on Saturday. I think the lads will be itching to get out and tear into Bath. They know they haven't hit top gear yet. Will Greenwoood said it was the game against Clermont last season in the Aviva in which Leinster set down a marker for the tournament and subsequently never looked back.

I'd love to see starting

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

Sykes hasn't done a tap for Leinster since he arrived here. Toner was the September/October Player of the Month. I just don't see the logic behind that selection.

I'm pretty sure that Dave Kearney would get blown away by Banahan as well. Kearney defended woefully against Visser, and while Banahan isn't as good a finisher as Visser, he's an enormous bosh-machine.
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

Haven't seen enough of Sykes myself to judge him but fully agree with Monsieur Blank's comments about Toner.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Get yisser thermals out for this, folks, it's to be bitter - down to minus 4 on Saturday night. Although still not as cold as the Clermont match last year...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

hugonaut wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

I'd love to see starting

Healy Strauss Ross
Leo Sykes
SOB Heaslip Jennings
Reddan Johnny
Luke Ferg EOM D Kearney
Isa.

Sykes hasn't done a tap for Leinster since he arrived here. Toner was the September/October Player of the Month. I just don't see the logic behind that selection.

I'm pretty sure that Dave Kearney would get blown away by Banahan as well. Kearney defended woefully against Visser, and while Banahan isn't as good a finisher as Visser, he's an enormous bosh-machine.

No argument that Sykes has contributed little thus far. However, i think you'll agree he was brought in to replace Hines and not be back up to Toner.
Congrats to Toner for his award, thoroughly deserved imho but you can't tell me he didn't get a rocket up his arse from someone i.e Joe or Gibbs about his performances and the need to kick on & improve/develop.
How do you think he'll get on against the 3 teams i mentioned earlier in a dog fight? would you be confident? I most definitely would not. Sykes needs game time to show us what he can do. If he is found wanting over a season or 2 then cut him loose. But here and now get him in, challenge him to excell.
Regards Kearney, he is developing & maturing along the way. He is still on the upward curve and exposure at this level will do him good. SOB was 'blown' away by Roberts at the WC. This happens on any given day in a 1 on 1. Think of Tuilagi running over BOD in last seasons QF. It happens.
The thing is all the players mentioned have the ability to dust themselves down and keep going. Kearney has the ability to be devestating in attack. Thats why i picked him.
3 Gold Stars
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
No argument that Sykes has contributed little thus far. However, i think you'll agree he was brought in to replace Hines and not be back up to Toner.
He was brought in to replace Hines in the same way that Hines was brought in to replace Rocky. Technically, yes he was the signing made that replaced Hines as a NIQ but I don't believe he was brought in as a direct replacement i.e. the same playing style (sadly, there aren't too many players of Hines' ilk around :cry: ).
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

honeyec wrote:Get yisser thermals out for this, folks, it's to be bitter - down to minus 4 on Saturday night. Although still not as cold as the Clermont match last year...
Coldest I have ever been. ever. it was f*ckin baltic
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

crisco10 wrote:
honeyec wrote:Get yisser thermals out for this, folks, it's to be bitter - down to minus 4 on Saturday night. Although still not as cold as the Clermont match last year...
True, but it made us feel all Christmassy!!

Just hope the snow stays away so there's no travel problems for people
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

crisco10 wrote:
They were making a killing on the hot whiskeys.... superb anti-freeze.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Cianostays wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
He was brought in to replace Hines in the same way that Hines was brought in to replace Rocky. Technically, yes he was the signing made that replaced Hines as a NIQ but I don't believe he was brought in as a direct replacement i.e. the same playing style (sadly, there aren't too many players of Hines' ilk around :cry: ).
I don't often disagree with you Mr O'Stays but He was signed to replace Hines directly. Or perhaps you could say him and Browne were signed to replace Hines and Hogan.

Flanagan was promoted to replace Sheriff. And as you were. Galarza was a temp replacement for Cullen.