A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster V Bath (return fixture)

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Cianostays wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
No argument that Sykes has contributed little thus far. However, i think you'll agree he was brought in to replace Hines and not be back up to Toner.
He was brought in to replace Hines in the same way that Hines was brought in to replace Rocky. Technically, yes he was the signing made that replaced Hines as a NIQ but I don't believe he was brought in as a direct replacement i.e. the same playing style (sadly, there aren't too many players of Hines' ilk around :cry: ).
So, another way of putting it is he was brought in as a direct replacement for Hines.
3 Gold Stars
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Ticket sales past 45,000 now
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

crisco10 wrote:
honeyec wrote:Get yisser thermals out for this, folks, it's to be bitter - down to minus 4 on Saturday night. Although still not as cold as the Clermont match last year...
Coldest I have ever been. ever. it was f*ckin baltic
It was as cold at the racing metro game in paris! But somehow both games felt a hot warmer when we were winning !
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The argument that Dave Kearmey doesn't deserve a start on the basis of how he defended against Visser really annoys me because his brother was even worse yet nobody mentions Rob's defensive lapses when discussing his selection. Don't think I've seen Rob's lack of tackling mentioned in any of the debates about himself and Isa. At least Dave actually threw himself into tackles in that game, he may not have been powerful enough to take the man down but at least he gave it a shot, Rob just watched them waltz by.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The argument that Dave Kearmey doesn't deserve a start on the basis of how he defended against Visser really annoys me because his brother was even worse yet nobody mentions Rob's defensive lapses when discussing his selection. Don't think I've seen Rob's lack of tackling mentioned in any of the debates about himself and Isa. At least Dave actually threw himself into tackles in that game, he may not have been powerful enough to take the man down but at least he gave it a shot, Rob just watched them waltz by.
Dave Kearney would be directly up against Matt Banahan, going on last week's selection. Rob Kearney's opposite man is Nick Abendanon. Enormous difference. I wouldn't pick Rob on the wing against Banahan either!

It's very tempting to revert to Isa at fullback [and may yet come to pass], but Bath aren't there to make up the numbers – they put in a tough performance against us in the Rec and Banahan in particular was always a threat. Respecting the opposition's strengths is just good coaching/selection. If we had a fit Shaggy on the right wing, it'd be ideal – unfortunately, we don't. Isa is an absolutely cracking tackler though, so it makes sense to match him up against their biggest threat, seeing as we've got a guy who plays fullback at a high level in Rob and Isa has a load of experience on the wing.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

crisco10 wrote:
honeyec wrote:Get yisser thermals out for this, folks, it's to be bitter - down to minus 4 on Saturday night. Although still not as cold as the Clermont match last year...
I wore my salopettes. No joke. Although it's still a distant second to Paris in the 09 6N for the coldest I've ever been at a match.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The argument that Dave Kearmey doesn't deserve a start on the basis of how he defended against Visser really annoys me because his brother was even worse yet nobody mentions Rob's defensive lapses when discussing his selection. Don't think I've seen Rob's lack of tackling mentioned in any of the debates about himself and Isa. At least Dave actually threw himself into tackles in that game, he may not have been powerful enough to take the man down but at least he gave it a shot, Rob just watched them waltz by.
I'm with you on this, but it's not fashionable round here to diss the best fullback in the world (2009). I thought he was at fault positionally for Bath's try, where he overcommitted on the winger when someone else had him covered and there was nobody there to cover the inside pass. It's a forgiveable error, but it happens so frequently with Rob because of bad positioning and a very flappy tackling technique. Just don't post anything about it here, or you get twenty "I love Rob" posts back at you. Dave is a different animal altogether, not as multi-faceted as his brother, but a very effective winger, whose defence isn't that bad at all.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah that's a very fair point Hugonaut. I still feel that Rob has gotten away with those fairly pathetic defensive efforts yet they're still used as a stick to beat Dave with though.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

jezzer wrote: I'm with you on this, but it's not fashionable round here to diss the best fullback in the world (2009). I thought he was at fault positionally for Bath's try, where he overcommitted on the winger when someone else had him covered and there was nobody there to cover the inside pass. It's a forgiveable error, but it happens so frequently with Rob because of bad positioning and a very flappy tackling technique. Just don't post anything about it here, or you get twenty "I love Rob" posts back at you. Dave is a different animal altogether, not as multi-faceted as his brother, but a very effective winger, whose defence isn't that bad at all.
Yeah I don't think Dave's defence is too bad either. He had a mare against Visser but apart from that I've generally been pretty impressed.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

honeyec wrote: Although it's still a distant second to Paris in the 09 6N for the coldest I've ever been at a match.
fact
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

crisco10 wrote:
You're all living in the wrong country. I got so warm walking down to that game that I had to start stripping off layers.

Put them on gradually during the 2nd half and by ft the only part of me that was cold was my nose.

Then again I always feel the cold less than people around me. Just good genes and living in the correct country.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'll never forget walking down the stairs in the Aviva at the end of the Clermont game. My legs had practically shut down from the cold and every step sent pain shooting up through my knees. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that it was worse than being shot or fed to sharks.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'll never forget walking down the stairs in the Aviva at the end of the Clermont game. My legs had practically shut down from the cold and every step sent pain shooting up through my knees. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that it was worse than being shot or fed to sharks.
Perhaps a move to the south of Spain? You could start supporting soccer........... Just a thought :)
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

[Jackass] wrote:I know Joe is very tactically minded, so starting locky and wearing them down and bringing Jenno on when they tiring to secure quick ball, and bring Reddan on to feed it out etc. makes sense, but I think our performance dips SO much when we try and play a containment, purely physical game plan, it doesn't suit our squad or individual abilities, and I think it's a flawed game plan that's repeated.

It gets results, but I think we would have done better just sticking to our natural game plan and not try to over think it or be too clever...
I would agree with this, it doesn't really suit Leinster. We can do it effectively but it still doesn't really suit us...
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bath team:

15 Sam Vesty

14 Jack Cuthbert

13 Matt Banahan

12 Olly Barkley

11 Nick Abendanon

10 Stephen Donald

9 Michael Claassens

1 David Flatman

2 Chris Biller

3 David Wilson

4 Dave Attwood

5 Ryan Caldwell

6 Francois Louw (c)

7 Guy Mercer

8 Simon Taylor

Replacements

16 Ross Batty

17 Nathan Catt

18 Anthony Perenise

19 Will Spencer

20 Andy Beattie

21 Chris Cook

22 Tom Heathcote

23 Ben Williams
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Leinster team to face Bath in Saturday's Heineken Cup Round 4 clash in the Aviva Stadium (KO: 6pm) has been named...
There are a few changes to the team that defeated Bath last weekend with Eoin Reddan (fresh from winning his 50th Leinster cap in The Rec last Sunday) partnering Jonathan Sexton at half back and Shane Jennings coming into the back row alongside fellow Ireland internationals Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip. Devin Toner partners another Ireland international, skipper Leo Cullen, at second row.

Luke Fitzgerald continues in the back three alongside Rob Kearney and Isa Nacewa. Meanwhile, Eoin O'Malley (who will make his 40th Leinster appearance on Saturday) forms a centre partnership with Fergus McFadden for the first time in the Heineken Cup.

Gordon D'Arcy, limited by a minor niggle in training earlier this week, will provide extra firepower from a replacements bench which includes six Ireland internationals.

With over 46,000 tickets now sold, Saturday evening's game will be played in front of the second largest crowd for a Pool match in the history of the Heineken Cup, surpassing the attendance figure (45,892) at Saracens v Leinster in Wembley Stadium last season.

There are tickets still available ONLINE HERE, Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.

A charity text campaign has been running this week where Leinster followers are being asked to text a donation of €2.50 to help raise essential funds for Leinster's five chosen charities for this season; Action Breast Cancer, Barretstown, Bray Lakers, St John Ambulance and Welcome Home. Simply text the word LEINSTER to 57800 and as well as helping five great charities, all followers who lend their support to the campaign will be automatically entered into a draw to win an all-expenses paid trip for two (including flights, accommodation and match tickets) on the team charter to the Round 5 Heineken Cup game away to Glasgow Warriors in January (€2.50 per text. Network charges vary. A minimum of *€1.20 (ex VAT) goes towards Leinster's five chosen charities. SP Phonovation Ltd. 0818217100. Please note any donations made on the 17/12/2011will raise €1.73 per text).

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Isa Nacewa
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Nathan White
19: Kevin McLaughlin
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: Isaac Boss
22: Ian Madigan
23: Gordon D'Arcy

BATH:

15: Sam Vesty
14: Jack Cuthbert
13: Matt Banahan
12: Olly Barkley
11: Nick Abendanon
10: Stephen Donald
9: Michael Claassens

1: David Flatman
2: Chris Biller
3: David Wilson
4: Dave Attwood
5: Ryan Caldwell
6: Francois Louw CAPTAIN
7: Guy Mercer
8: Simon Taylor

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Ross Batty
17: Nathan Catt
18: Anthony Perenise
19: Will Spencer
20: Andy Beattie
21: Chris Cook
22: Tom Heathcote
23: Ben Williams

REFEREE: Romain Poite (FFR), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Patrick Péchambert, Eric Soulan (both FFR), 4th OFFICIAL: Kevin Beggs (IRFU), 5th OFFICIAL: Dermot Blake (IRFU), TMO: Daniel Gillet (FFR)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Same team for Bath bar Hipkiss who's hurt.

Darce on the Bench for us. Few changes. Mostly predictable.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Didn't see D'Arcy being benched, but like the look of the team.

What's going on with Healy though?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Obviously targeting the breakdown. Jennings in. Rudock is the only change to the 23, in for Browne.

So 2 6s on the bench. 5 Back Row. Breakdown, breakdown, breakdown.

We should have plenty for these guys in fairness. But you never know in a 2 horse race.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Danthefan wrote:Didn't see D'Arcy being benched, but like the look of the team.

What's going on with Healy though?
Buttock/Glute injury they are managing I think
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on