Hogan to Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Hogan to Leinster

Post by epaddy »

Munster lock takes road less travelled

Trevor Hogan, the 26-year-old lock capped by Ireland in Japan last June, will soon make a trip made all too rarely by Munstermen — to Leinster. While final details have to be confirmed, it’s expected that the Tipperary native will take the plunge this summer. Having played club rugby with Blackrock in the past, the pain should be eased for Hogan, far right, not to mention the fact that he should get some regular first-team rugby next season. In Munster he has regularly been seeded number four behind Paul O’Connell, Donncha O’Callaghan and Mick O’Driscoll. Bryce Williams, the New Zealand lock who joined Leinster on a short-term contract earlier this season, has been linked with a move to the French club Bourgoin
As i said on CF

Positive move for Irish rugby, more of this please. David Quinlan should have been snapped up by Munster or Ulster this year ditto Reddan by Leinster. Irish players in Ireland please
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

We tried this already. It was known as the Brian O'Meara fiasco.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

P.S. ePaddy stay out of Rio's.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Hogan to Leinster

Post by Darce »

epaddy wrote:
Munster lock takes road less travelled

Trevor Hogan, the 26-year-old lock capped by Ireland in Japan last June, will soon make a trip made all too rarely by Munstermen — to Leinster. While final details have to be confirmed, it’s expected that the Tipperary native will take the plunge this summer. Having played club rugby with Blackrock in the past, the pain should be eased for Hogan, far right, not to mention the fact that he should get some regular first-team rugby next season. In Munster he has regularly been seeded number four behind Paul O’Connell, Donncha O’Callaghan and Mick O’Driscoll. Bryce Williams, the New Zealand lock who joined Leinster on a short-term contract earlier this season, has been linked with a move to the French club Bourgoin
As i said on CF

Positive move for Irish rugby, more of this please. David Quinlan should have been snapped up by Munster or Ulster this year ditto Reddan by Leinster. Irish players in Ireland please
Good news. this is the way the IRFU/PAG shud be distrabuting the talent pool. now, when sheehan gets bck from injury, will he be willing to play second fiddle to Jerry Flanery, or vice versa.....i doubt it. Anyone for a new hooker?(even if they were a turnip muncher!)
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Well I can't imagine Sheehan or Flannery moving to another Irish province. Jackman's back at Leinster, Rory Best at ulster, and both would see Connacht as a step backwards (especially Flannery who's already done his time there).

So it's a straight battle between them next season for the Munster spot, and the loser runs off to England at the end.

Or Kidney does a rotation system like he has with Bull and Puc this season.
cj
Graduate

Hogan

Post by cj »

Is this signing not worrying anyone else? Does this mean Leinster will be settling for someone of Hogan's standard to partner O'Kelly?

Leinster seem to have an issue with locks. Why we let Casey and then Cullen go, and are now leaving Gissing out with everyone available, is beyond me.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Hogan is a good thing-he's young and talented. Flannery and Sheahan (if he comes back) will stay at Munster and fight for their place. Its great to see Warwick go to Munster too-give ROG a kick up the arse.

Gissing is a man mountain and is useful in games like today where its tight, but Byrnes offers more around the park IMO.
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Gissing is a man mountain and is useful in games like today where its tight
Wouldn't mind seeing Gissing as a sub for the Toulouse match. He would offer some real impact of the bench
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Giss made all the difference yesterday when he came on. I'd have him on from the start, if it was up to me (latest reports from the Leinster camp indicate that this is not the case... :) ) With the lack of bodies we commit to the ruck, you'e at least half a chance of retaining when the one body that does turn up is Giss's.

The Jowitt experiment didn't work. Our loose play and lineouts improved beyond measure when Giss came on. Pity Blaney had a poor night with the throwing. BTW, anyone notice how many crooked throws Connacht got away with? Only penalised for 1.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

jezzer wrote:Giss made all the difference yesterday when he came on. I'd have him on from the start, if it was up to me (latest reports from the Leinster camp indicate that this is not the case... :) ) With the lack of bodies we commit to the ruck, you'e at least half a chance of retaining when the one body that does turn up is Giss's.

The Jowitt experiment didn't work. Our loose play and lineouts improved beyond measure when Giss came on. Pity Blaney had a poor night with the throwing. BTW, anyone notice how many crooked throws Connacht got away with? Only penalised for 1.
Yeah, but penalised for the most important 1 five metres from the line at the end of the game.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Totally agree, Ben made an huge difference when he came in - brought some much needed bulk and muscle to the pack and carried well.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I think the main reason that Jowitt was playing second row was to try and give him a tougher game because of lack of game time over the last 6 weeks. Packing down into the scrum would have been an excellent workout for him. He's definitely our starting number 6 for the Toulouse game.

Miller - what a brain fart to do a riverdance on the Connacht player when we were awarded the penalty. :roll:
cj
Graduate

Big Ben

Post by cj »

I would start him, no matter who's available. My starting pack for Tolouse (with everyone available) would be the regular front row (it'll be too soon for Jacko), with Gissing and Mal at lock and Jowitt to start with Miller making a big impact after 60. Gissing might be that extra little bit we need to outmuscle the frogs. If we can gain parity with them up front I honestly believe our backs will win us the game...so picking flaky locks isn't a positive means to that end.

Bring back Ben.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Also if we pick Jowitt at 6, we nullify the lack of 2 locks jumping in the lineouts. Gissing is a bruiser but he certainly isn't a world class jumper, although he was useful jumping at 2 yesterday - I don't think we lost a lineout whenever the ball was thrown to him in that position after he came on because he's so bloody strong...
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Leinsterman wrote:Also if we pick Jowitt at 6, we nullify the lack of 2 locks jumping in the lineouts. Gissing is a bruiser but he certainly isn't a world class jumper, although he was useful jumping at 2 yesterday - I don't think we lost a lineout whenever the ball was thrown to him in that position after he came on because he's so bloody strong...

...which is as important in a 2 jumper as having amazing technique. I will be very disappointed if one of the others gets the nod ahead of Ben for the Tolouse game. Hopefrully Ben will get another run for Tarf before then and Mike and Dave can see him in action.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Our lineout seems to have changed in to this fast-moving "you'll never guess where it's going" version this season. Makes the jump and the lifting a bit hurried, which isn't going to suit the less-elastic Gissing! But he's a tall guy and very powerful - even if he doesn't give Easterbunny service off the top he'll win his share of ball to justify picking him for his other strengths.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

jezzer wrote:Our lineout seems to have changed in to this fast-moving "you'll never guess where it's going" version this season.
It left our locks guessing last night anyway
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Don't think that has been confirmed anywhere, and given his style of playe why would he bother going to Munster to kick the skin off the ball all day...

My money would be on him going North if anywhere in Ireland, as a replacment for Humpty. That is unless Felipe decides to head over to France, which is not unlikley..
TrueBlue wrote: Its great to see Warwick go to Munster too-give ROG a kick up the arse.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Sea Point - one of your compatriots had been talking to Warwick and that's where the source of this story comes from.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

L_M

As I said earlier.....
Sea_point wrote:Don't think that has been confirmed anywhere,
TrueBlue wrote: Its great to see Warwick go to Munster too-give ROG a kick up the arse.
and until I see an anouncment to support this rumour it ain't worth the paper it's printed on. Approaches are one thing, Contracts quite another.... :wink: