Luke Fitzgerald out for the season?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: Luke Fitzgerald out for the season?

Post by Leinsterman »

The 6N would have a greater priority than the tour to NZ so, if this is indeed true, they would be more likely to let him miss the summer tour which is, to all intents and purposes, meaningless.
(Yes yes I know a win over the All Blacks would be a huge thing but success in the 6N is the priority for the IRFU and the 6N is the main cash cow for them)
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

from Indo - no name on the article :?
LEINSTER duo Jonny Sexton and Luke Fitzgerald will be available for the province’s final Heineken Cup tie with Montpellier.

Sexton, Leinster’s Bank of Ireland Player of the Month for December, damaged an ankle in Sunday’s win in Glasgow and despite playing on, he appeared to be in discomfort afterwards.

However, he will be available for selection, as will Fitzgerald, whose neck strain had raised fears in some quarters about his longterm fitness.

As Leinster have already qualified as pool winners and likely top seeds, coach Joe Schmidt may choose to rest Sexton ahead of Ireland’s Six Nations opener against Wales in February.
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

[Jackass] wrote:What's the craic with Dom Ryan? I remember he got injured in the RDS a while back, along with McLoughlin. When's he due back?

Any news on Shaggy either? He seems like the forgotten man. How we could use him in flying form, even though Dave Kearney has done well and it's good that Conway is getting game time also.

Lastly, any craic on BOD injury, are we hoping he'll be back for quarters or forget about it for the season?

If we had those few lads back by quarter final stages it would be a massive boost.
From what I've read, BOD has a check-up on his injury sometime this month so he may get a better idea as to how he's progressing after that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Leinsterman wrote:The 6N would have a greater priority than the tour to NZ so, if this is indeed true, they would be more likely to let him miss the summer tour which is, to all intents and purposes, meaningless.
(Yes yes I know a win over the All Blacks would be a huge thing but success in the 6N is the priority for the IRFU and the 6N is the main cash cow for them)
I don't really see that he'd get much of a look in to the 6N squad right now. I'd be for shipping a whole load of experiments and fringe players down for the tour personally.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

We could end up getting absolutely hockeyed if we did that though.
It could make pretty grim viewing! :shock:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Fock it, pretty grim viewing anyway. I do see the value of winning the 6N and having some continuity while blooding new players (dictated by injury anyway). I don't see the value of not trying out new players on tour. If we end up sending ROG and BOD (he'll recover just in time!) down there again I will despair.

We had a fair crack at NZ with a half-arsed team last time. FFS Buckley upped his game and had a stormer. I have no doubt that Luke would put in a fine shift down South if selected.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

fourthirtythree wrote:Fock it, pretty grim viewing anyway. I do see the value of winning the 6N and having some continuity while blooding new players (dictated by injury anyway). I don't see the value of not trying out new players on tour. If we end up sending ROG and BOD (he'll recover just in time!) down there again I will despair.

We had a fair crack at NZ with a half-arsed team last time. FFS Buckley upped his game and had a stormer. I have no doubt that Luke would put in a fine shift down South if selected.
A fair crack when we were hockied by 60 points?

I want to beat New Zealand. Badly. I'm damn sure Bod wants that on his CV. Send the first team, blooding some deserving newbies. Italy at home should be the time to try the likes of Cave, POM and maybe Marshall.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Degz wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Fock it, pretty grim viewing anyway. I do see the value of winning the 6N and having some continuity while blooding new players (dictated by injury anyway). I don't see the value of not trying out new players on tour. If we end up sending ROG and BOD (he'll recover just in time!) down there again I will despair.

A fair crack when we were hockied by 60 points?

I want to beat New Zealand. Badly. I'm damn sure Bod wants that on his CV. Send the first team, blooding some deserving newbies. Italy at home should be the time to try the likes of Cave, POM and maybe Marshall.
Sorry Degz, but it shouldn't matter to us about the choice of the 6N or the AB tour! What should concern us is, will Luke available for LEINSTER matches? That would see him playing on in the coming month (if fit enough to), picking up a second consecutive ERC win and incidentally- regaining his place on the 6N team, that wins our second GS in 5 years. :) I'd easily forego him making the NZ trip for that menu of achievements.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:If we end up sending ROG and BOD (he'll recover just in time!) down there again I will despair.
I predict a pretty depressing June for you 433.

Bod will be champing at the bit to have 3 cracks at ending a 110 year record v the ABs (after a HC win :) ), and I don't see our backup out half getting left behind either.

Neither of them will get too many more chances to play them.

Personally I am hoping for the return of God in time for a possible HC semi. With his legendary healing powers he may squeeze a QF return.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Scott wrote:from Indo - no name on the article :?
LEINSTER duo Jonny Sexton and Luke Fitzgerald will be available for the province’s final Heineken Cup tie with Montpellier.

Sexton, Leinster’s Bank of Ireland Player of the Month for December, damaged an ankle in Sunday’s win in Glasgow and despite playing on, he appeared to be in discomfort afterwards.

However, he will be available for selection, as will Fitzgerald, whose neck strain had raised fears in some quarters about his longterm fitness.

As Leinster have already qualified as pool winners and likely top seeds, coach Joe Schmidt may choose to rest Sexton ahead of Ireland’s Six Nations opener against Wales in February.
The awkward moment when Ror is talkin' out of his Gordon D'Arce.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

gleesonisgod wrote:

Joe may choose to rest him ahead of the six nations?

More likely orders coming down from Judas.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:If we end up sending ROG and BOD (he'll recover just in time!) down there again I will despair.

Bod will be champing at the bit to have 3 cracks at ending a 110 year record v the ABs (after a HC win :) ), and I don't see our backup out half getting left behind either.

Personally I am hoping for the return of God in time for a possible HC semi. With his legendary healing powers he may squeeze a QF return.
Yeah, if he's back and fit (and let's hope with another medal or two jangling in his arse pocket) wtf else would he be doing this summer? I'm just sick of the same players being dragged into every game. I want us to win everything out there, but that doesn't mean we always have to have our established players on the pitch. We haven't had a plan b for bod. Haven't tried to find one?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:
johng wrote:

Yeah, if he's back and fit (and let's hope with another medal or two jangling in his arse pocket) wtf else would he be doing this summer? I'm just sick of the same players being dragged into every game. I want us to win everything out there, but that doesn't mean we always have to have our established players on the pitch. We haven't had a plan b for bod. Haven't tried to find one?
Not saying I agree with playing our best players the whole time. Personally I would blood a few in November and the odd one in games like Scotland and Italy at home. But the lure of winning is very hard to resist for the coaches, the union the sponsors, even the fans.

A trip to Kiwiland is worth bringing out the best though.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

johng wrote:

A trip to Kiwiland is worth bringing out the best though.
Does that include Kidney?
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

gleesonisgod wrote:

You will find I was first to Break the news about BOD, First to break the news about Isa leg injury,First to break the news when McFadden was out with his leg injury!!! SO we will see.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep, I looked back through your history Ror and you've certainly been right on more times than wrong regarding injuries which haven't even been touted anywhere else.
There's obviously something wrong with Luke, and perhaps an operation is being delayed until the end of the year.

Thanks for the inside info!
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Its just one of them things that needs to be done so its all about timing. But could well be the case an op could be delayed till summer, but its a dangerous game to play. I would say fix it now, there no point playing half fit, ala BOD in world Cup.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

reported in by GT today that he did not train yesterday
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Given that BOD's injury was being talked down until suddenly they announced he was having an operation and would be out for up to 6 months I've started to take the injury updates with a large pinch of salt.

There's been no sign of Luke for nearly 3 weeks now and if he wasn't training at the session the media get to see then he's definitely still got something wrong. I'm hoping ror is wrong but fearing he/she/it is right :(
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

deco wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:

Joe may choose to rest him ahead of the six nations?

More likely orders coming down from Judas.
Yeah, you see you get to do that when you pay his wages. Given Leinster's position and the need to bring through an out half as back up in the event of Johnny getting injured, that might actually make sense as a plan.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us