Cullen out for up to 8 weeks

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Cullen out for up to 8 weeks

Post by Mauler »

Reported on Newstalk that Leo Cullen is out for up to 8 weeks with ops required on both Achilles tendons. They said this is in the Star this morning.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Donald
Mullet

Re: Cullen out for up to 8 weeks

Post by Donald »

10 weeks I hear
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Going to be a massive test for us now. Browne will have to step up to a level he has never played to before and Toner will have to take on a level he never has. He's going to be running the set piece now and will have to step up. I assume, at this point in time, that Kev McLaughlin will cover lock. Big step for Heaslip now too as he'll assume the mantle of captain. 10 weeks will bring us right up to the QF so if there's any delay or lack of fitness, he won't be involved.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

We'll need something from Sykes too, especially if Dev is in the Six Nations squad. Mark Flanagan will definitely see more action too during the Six Nations too.

Gutted for Leo though. He said in his book that he was having constant problems last season with his Achilles tightening up before and during games. It was just one of them though. Interesting that they're choosing to have the operations now though. They probably figured he wouldn't feature much or at all during the Six Nations, so they may as well do it now and hopefully have him back for the HC quarter-finals.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

At least the fixture list isn't as hectic during the 6N and other teams will be suffering from international call-ups.
Hopefully we'll see him back for the q/f or the Munster game the week before.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

8 weeks should have him back mid march, fingers crossed. Hopefully he can get a run in Mordor on 31st.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Am I the only one who thinks that this isn't the worst news we could hear?
Sure we could do with Leo's leadership during the 6N period, but on the positive side, he will hopefully be back for the QF and afterwards, he has looked very sluggish in parts this year and perhaps could do with a bit of time off, and of course we'll get to see what Sykes, Locky and Flanagan are like.

As I say, unwelcome news, but it could be a lot worse, and we'll have our captain back for the knockouts it seems.

Don't agree with Browne and Toner needing to step up, and Heaslip too. Heaslip will be gone for that time, and they're all very winnable games, even without Leo. We're in the good position of having a strong second squad and leaders like Jennings, Boss and Strauss to call upon with the 6Ns are on.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

If it needed to be done best time of the season to do it
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

wixfjord wrote: Don't agree with Browne and Toner needing to step up, and Heaslip too. Heaslip will be gone for that time, and they're all very winnable games, even without Leo. We're in the good position of having a strong second squad and leaders like Jennings, Boss and Strauss to call upon with the 6Ns are on.
Win our home games and win away in Aironi and Dragons would give us 70 pts (ignoring bonus). Can't see anyone catching that. All going well Leo is back and going well for business end of the season.
It'll be interesting to see who gets called up into the senior extended squad. Besides the 3 Munster locks, I'd have thought Touhy is next in line. Is Dev next? will he be gone during the 6 nations?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TrapperChamonix wrote: It'll be interesting to see who gets called up into the senior extended squad. Besides the 3 Munster locks, I'd have thought Touhy is next in line. Is Dev next? will he be gone during the 6 nations?
Unlikely. Barring injury, Deccie will most likely stick with the Munster monopoly of second rows with POC. Ryan and an out-of-form, out-of-team O'Callaghan. Personally I've no problem with Ryan and POC starting but would like to see Mike McCarthy or Dev on the bench. But I think the best Dev will do is a spot on the bench so he's likely to be available for every game bar Glasgow away, which is on the same day at the Ireland-Italy match.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Donny B. wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote: It'll be interesting to see who gets called up into the senior extended squad. Besides the 3 Munster locks, I'd have thought Touhy is next in line. Is Dev next? will he be gone during the 6 nations?
Unlikely. Barring injury, Deccie will most likely stick with the Munster monopoly of second rows with POC. Ryan and an out-of-form, out-of-team O'Callaghan. Personally I've no problem with Ryan and POC starting but would like to see Mike McCarthy or Dev on the bench. But I think the best Dev will do is a spot on the bench so he's likely to be available for every game bar Glasgow away, which is on the same day at the Ireland-Italy match.
You don't rate Touhy?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Tuohy has to be the bench option imo. Would be the perfect guy to bring on to spark a bit of life into a game.
Our bench actually is quite strong for the upcoming 6N, bar sub prop, could concieveably consist of
Cronin, Court, Tuohy, POM/Ruddock/Henry, Reddan/Murray, ROG, Earls/Fitz/Trimble/McFadden

All of which, bar Court, are good impact players.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

O'Callaghan will start with O'Connell.

Ryan will cover them from the bench and O'Brien and Ferris will fill the backrow.

Why anyone would expect anything different is beyond me.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Logorrhea wrote:O'Callaghan will start with O'Connell.

Ryan will cover them from the bench and O'Brien and Ferris will fill the backrow.

Why anyone would expect anything different is beyond me.
Ryan and O'Connell surely?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Did I see that Cullen will be available for this weekend, or did I dream that?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
You don't rate Touhy?
Think there's a bit of the 'emperors new clothes' about him to be honest in that people seem to be seeing what they want to see rather than what he is. He's looked good in the last three weeks, but up until then had done bugger all, especially when Ulster were really struggling. He can look good on his day, but I'd like to see him do it over a longer period.

For my mind McCarthy's and Toner's form has been more consistent over the season and are more deserving of a call up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ryan Caldwell?
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ryan Caldwell?
Good call form-wise, for the A's at the very least. Going to Bath seems to have brought the best out in him. However form rarely has anything to do with Kidney's picks (see DOC) and playing abroad could well count against him.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Report on Leo was in a tabloid newspaper so best wait until Leinster confirm. DK wasn't going to pick him anyway going by his long history of screwing Leo.
If Leo is out then Sykes needs to really step up and start earning his considerable pay packet. Failing that, Leinster should cancel his contract and send him back to Africa in the summer. Browne will do a decent job during the 6 Nations and Flanagan looks a really exciting prospect.

Toner is playing really well and learning to use his massive weight (20 stone) in contact by getting lower in the hit. His hands are very good for a big man and he really should be in the 6 Nations squad with Touhy, O'Connell and Ryan. It would be a farce if O'Callaghan gets picked as he's not playing much for his province and both Touhy and Toner are playing very well.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Looking at the four games we have during the 6N plus the game the week after:

The Treviso (h) and Glasgow (a) games are being played the same weekends as 6N games so we'll be missing players who make the Irish 22 plus one or two others who may be needed as cover. U-20 games conflict with these games too, but think we still get first call.

The Scarlets (h) and Aironi (a) games take place during the weeks off in the 6N so we should have those who only benched in the 6N games.

The Ospreys (h) game takes place the week after the final game so we'll probably only be without those who played 4/5 games in the 6N.

Probables to start 6N games so won't see them until Munster game: Healy, Ross, O'Brien, Heaslip, D'Arcy, Kearney. Sexton, Reddan, Fitzgerald and McFadden could also fall into this category. Cronin will probably be on the bench so should be available for the Scarlets and Aironi games. Toner, Jennings, O'Malley and Boss are outside bets for bench spots. We could be in a bit of bother at scrum-half if both Reddan and Boss get called up for the same game. Do we still get first dibs on U-20 players for league games?

Only players in the academy likely to feature are Gilsenan, Coghlan, Coghlan-Murray, Sherlock, Furlong and McGrath. With the size of the squad they're unlikely to be needed, McGrath being the possible exception if Boss and Reddan are both unavailable.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish