Cullen out for up to 8 weeks

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Cullen out for up to 8 weeks

Post by Degz »

cormac wrote:Looking at the four games we have during the 6N plus the game the week after:

The Treviso (h) and Glasgow (a) games are being played the same weekends as 6N games so we'll be missing players who make the Irish 22 plus one or two others who may be needed as cover. U-20 games conflict with these games too, but think we still get first call.

The Scarlets (h) and Aironi (a) games take place during the weeks off in the 6N so we should have those who only benched in the 6N games.

The Ospreys (h) game takes place the week after the final game so we'll probably only be without those who played 4/5 games in the 6N.

Probables to start 6N games so won't see them until Munster game: Healy, Ross, O'Brien, Heaslip, D'Arcy, Kearney. Sexton, Reddan, Fitzgerald and McFadden could also fall into this category. Cronin will probably be on the bench so should be available for the Scarlets and Aironi games. Toner, Jennings, O'Malley and Boss are outside bets for bench spots. We could be in a bit of bother at scrum-half if both Reddan and Boss get called up for the same game. Do we still get first dibs on U-20 players for league games?

Only players in the academy likely to feature are Gilsenan, Coghlan, Coghlan-Murray, Sherlock, Furlong and McGrath. With the size of the squad they're unlikely to be needed, McGrath being the possible exception if Boss and Reddan are both unavailable.
We've (Ireland) only the one A game on the 28th, that is correct isn't it?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

johng wrote:Ryan and O'Connell surely?
That would require a form selection. Deccie doesnt do form.

He may well through Ryan into the #6 slot though and drop O'Brien
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Degz wrote:
cormac wrote:Looking at the four games we have during the 6N plus the game the week after:

The Treviso (h) and Glasgow (a) games are being played the same weekends as 6N games so we'll be missing players who make the Irish 22 plus one or two others who may be needed as cover. U-20 games conflict with these games too, but think we still get first call.

The Scarlets (h) and Aironi (a) games take place during the weeks off in the 6N so we should have those who only benched in the 6N games.

The Ospreys (h) game takes place the week after the final game so we'll probably only be without those who played 4/5 games in the 6N.

Probables to start 6N games so won't see them until Munster game: Healy, Ross, O'Brien, Heaslip, D'Arcy, Kearney. Sexton, Reddan, Fitzgerald and McFadden could also fall into this category. Cronin will probably be on the bench so should be available for the Scarlets and Aironi games. Toner, Jennings, O'Malley and Boss are outside bets for bench spots. We could be in a bit of bother at scrum-half if both Reddan and Boss get called up for the same game. Do we still get first dibs on U-20 players for league games?

Only players in the academy likely to feature are Gilsenan, Coghlan, Coghlan-Murray, Sherlock, Furlong and McGrath. With the size of the squad they're unlikely to be needed, McGrath being the possible exception if Boss and Reddan are both unavailable.
We've (Ireland) only the one A game on the 28th, that is correct isn't it?
Yes, against England in Exeter.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Scrumdog
Bookworm

Post by Scrumdog »

Leo Cullen named in six nations squad. ??
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Scrumdog wrote:Leo Cullen named in six nations squad. ??
Strange one that.
3 Gold Stars
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Strange one that.
The Irish medical team want to assess him, apparently.

He does have the potential to add 15 minutes of International rugby to his career I suppose
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Strange one that.

He does have the potential to add 15 minutes of International rugby to his career I suppose
Please be to jaysus they do not prevent Leo from getting his op at the most opportune time for us!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Peg Leg wrote: Please be to jaysus they do not prevent Leo from getting his op at the most opportune time for us!
He could have the operation end of March and be fit for the summer tour!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Strange one that.

He does have the potential to add 15 seconds of International rugby to his career I suppose
Fixed that for you.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

very cunning of deccie, he selects Cullen in the squad knowing he won't have to actually select him due to the surgery
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Amz wrote: He does have the potential to add 15 seconds of International rugby to his career I suppose

IT - "Leo Cullen is one of four secondrows named in the senior squad. Despite being scheduled in for surgery on both Achilles tendons in Sweden next week, it has not yet been decided whether he will take up that option just yet."

Go to Sweden Leo and tell Kidney to go............... have a great six nations
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Seems to be a bit of a power player by Kidney. He seems to want to keep Leo, limping around in pain on his dodgy tendons, just so he can drop him again from the 22.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Cullen needs to tell Kidney to swing 'is 'ook.

I know all players want to play for their national team, but surely Cullen knows at this stage how things will pan out.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Please be to jaysus they do not prevent Leo from getting his op at the most opportune time for us!
He could have the operation end of March and be fit for the summer tour!
Or he could have it now and be back for the QF (at a push). If its slowing him down then I think he should get it done now!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

The short sightedness of tipping Nathen overboard at the end of last season, will be revealed, I fear.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

simplythebest wrote:The short sightedness of tipping Nathen overboard at the end of last season, will be revealed, I fear.
IRFU showed him the door not Leinster
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Scott wrote:
simplythebest wrote:The short sightedness of tipping Nathen overboard at the end of last season, will be revealed, I fear.
There is no way in f*ck we wanted to get rid of Nathan Hines.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Positive note for those games during 6n: Treviso will have up to 13 players on Italy duty (realistically 10 or 11), Scarlets missing almost entire backline, Aironi missing 6 or 7 too
Provinces got first call on u20s last year so am assuming that hasn't changed
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
rathgarblue
Bookworm

Post by rathgarblue »

hugonaut wrote:
Scott wrote:
There is no way in f*ck we wanted to get rid of Nathan Hines.
To be fair, Toner has played more and improved as a result of Hines absence.
I agree that I'd like to have Nathan around but if Dev becomes a HC (and hopefully Int) standard 2nd row then it will be the right call long term.
Would prefer to have Hines rather than Sykes - based on what've seen of him. (which is zero)
rathgarblue
Bookworm

Post by rathgarblue »

Sorry double post.