Pro 12 Final not in LR

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

elfan
Knowledgeable

Re: Pro 12 Final not in LR

Post by elfan »

I fully agree with wixfjord. I'm a season ticket holder and seldom miss a home match. However I do realise that this is not possible for everyone for whatever reason be it financial, work or family commitments, travelling distance etc. We should welcome all comers whenever they can make it so long as they support LEINSTER.
elfan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
wixfjord wrote: We should be inviting all and sundry to come watch Leinster play. Just because you have a season ticket doesn't mean you are any different to anyone who would be going to the Aviva. I can only really afford to go to Aviva games and big HEC games, and I despise this sort of talk. It's a real hark back to the bad old days.
Those are the games the ones who tend to cherry pick fixtures turn out in force wixfjord, ya know....the bandwagoners :wink:
There wasn't much of a bandwagon for the Mont. and Glasgow games!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Exactly.

"Real supporters" give over to f%~k? How the hell do you measure who is real and who isn't!
Do you have to have been in Castres in 2009 to be a real supporter I wonder?
Watched Harry Vermaas tear up Donnybrook is it?

We should be inviting all and sundry to come watch Leinster play. Just because you have a season ticket doesn't mean you are any different to anyone who would be going to the Aviva. I can only really afford to go to Aviva games and big HEC games, and I despise this sort of talk. It's a real hark back to the bad old days.

Oh, and by the way, surely "real supporters" would make the huge struggle to get to the Aviva anyway?
"Real supporters" would also know that we lost to Ospreys in a ML final in 2009, and have never lost in the Aviva I presume.

Hate this sort of attitude.
Do you polish the chip on your shoulder or just take shelter from the rain occasionally ?
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Let's not be silly here. I want it in the RDS because its our home, the place we have built a fortress, a place where just recently we lost a 3 season undefeated home record. Its called home advantage. Lets not be silly and pretend that someone saying playing at home is an advantage means that they are saying we will never lose, nor never have lost at home. I was at the RDS when we lost to the Ospreys, I dont need that pointed out to me. Al

Also

Let’s not be silly. There are fans who go to big games to watch rugby, and there are people who go to big games because it’s an occasion. One is a real supporter and one is not. I am all for as many people as possible seeing Leinster play, but lets not pretend that some of these, perhaps supporters of the future are there for the occasion. For someone to take this as an attitude rather than a statement of fact would lead me to the obvious conclusion that the upset person is both silly and does not see himself as a real fan.

If we get to the final having topped the league, it will be in the RDS. And thats how it should be.
drive for 5
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BlueBlue wrote:Let's not be silly here. I want it in the RDS because its our home, the place we have built a fortress, a place where just recently we lost a 3 season undefeated home record. Its called home advantage. Lets not be silly and pretend that someone saying playing at home is an advantage means that they are saying we will never lose, nor never have lost at home. I was at the RDS when we lost to the Ospreys, I dont need that pointed out to me. Al

Also

Let’s not be silly. There are fans who go to big games to watch rugby, and there are people who go to big games because it’s an occasion. One is a real supporter and one is not. I am all for as many people as possible seeing Leinster play, but lets not pretend that some of these, perhaps supporters of the future are there for the occasion. For someone to take this as an attitude rather than a statement of fact would lead me to the obvious conclusion that the upset person is both silly and does not see himself as a real fan.

If we get to the final having topped the league, it will be in the RDS. And thats how it should be.
You're being silly, fans are fans. You can "watch rugby" on the tv.
I go to support the team, unfortunately I cant afford to do so as often as I used to.

I accept the -keep it in the D4tress- argument, but in fairness Lansdowne has its own rep at this stage!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Saying "Let's not be silly" and then proceeding to say silly things is a bit like saying "no offence but" and then saying something offensive.

If Leinster get to a Pro12 final, and if the opponents are Ulster or Munster. I can guarantee that:

1/ The people at Celtic Rugby will want a big payday/advert at LR.

2/ The people at Rabbobank will want a big advert at LR.

3 The people at Leinster Rugby will want a big payday/advert at LR.

4 The true fans/bandwaggoners/daytrippers will all want tickets.

5/ A minority of hardcore fans will want the game at the RDS

I would suggest that

1/ 2/ 3/ and 4/ will trump 5/ every time.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

6 quite possibly a majority of hardcore fans would want it in Lansdowne. I know a lot of people complain about the new stadium online but everyone around me loves it. If we could come close to filing it every game I'd love to be there for every game.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

fourthirtythree wrote:I know a lot of people complain about the new stadium online but everyone around me loves it. If we could come close to filing it every game I'd love to be there for every game.
Lansdowne Road is a joke of an incomplete stadium and everybody knows it - it doesn't even have a hedge.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

BlueBlue wrote:Let's not be silly here. I want it in the RDS because its our home, the place we have built a fortress, a place where just recently we lost a 3 season undefeated home record. Its called home advantage. Lets not be silly and pretend that someone saying playing at home is an advantage means that they are saying we will never lose, nor never have lost at home. I was at the RDS when we lost to the Ospreys, I dont need that pointed out to me. Al

Also

I hate 'grading' fans. There are many who would love to come to the RDS regularly but who can't for one reason or another, where they live, how much money they have, family circumstances etc. They are just as real as any season ticket holder. As for me I am thankful and lucky enough that I live where the RDS is convenient to get to and I can afford season tickets. But others less fortunate have to pick and choose which games they go to. I won't criticise them for one minute that they don't go to see Aironi on Thursday next week but would prefer a bigger game to watch. And if it is a 'big' game in the RDS then it becomes harder for people to get tickets so I also have no issue with moving bigger games to Lansdowne Road.

My only qualification would be that I would prefer to have 18,500 in a packed and noisy RDS than 30,000 in a 40% empty Lansdowne. But that's more for the benefit of the team and the aesthetics, rather than because I only want 'real' fans there.

Oh and by the way I know you saw the ML Final v the Ospreys but how does that work with us only having lost a three year undefeated record at the RDS last September?
Four Stars
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

:green clap: All very silly. LOL at the small things that upset people. When so many important things just wash over them in everyday life. Its as simple as this. I would prefer if a league final was held in the home of the team that tops the league. Its a league, the people who support this league through out the year should be rewarded with a final in the home ground where atmosphere is heighten and the feeling of being at one with your team is greatest. If you have not supported the team over the course of the year you have no right to expect the game to be in a large ground so you can have your big day out. If you don't agree with my views, that's ok with me.

My motives are not to exclude punters because i don't think they are real fans. I am simply pointing out that a final game in Lansdowne will have more people who are there for the occasion. This is simply a statment of fact. If Leinster have the game in Lansdowne, that's ok.

If you want to think that I'm calling you a lesser fan because you watch rugby on the tell or don't ho to all the games , that's also fine. But when you calm down you might find it difficult to find a quote where I Said this.
Last edited by BlueBlue on January 31st, 2012, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

As we all know we lost to the Ospreys in the 09 / 10 season. This is the 2011/ 2012 lesson. I think we all know that we lost to Glasgow at home this year surrendering a very long unbeaten run in the Rds. I think we all understand that there is weight behind the term home advantage in sport, and this is especially true in rugby.
drive for 5
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

If it came to a situation where munster won the league rankings and we met them in the final, i would not be surprised if they were nudged by the IRFU to hold it in Aviva. Leinster will definately hold it in the Aviva.

It is too much of a payday for the powers that be not to hold it in the bigger stadium.

As a bit of a tangent, who gets a share of the pot from the stadium.

Assuming average price is €40 * 51,700. That is a €2m pot
In the RDS it would be €35 average price * 18500 or a €650,000

Huge difference
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

If its against an Irish team , yes it would :D be in Lansdowne. But id still prefer it in the Rds. not sure it would be as much an irfu decision , as Munster just had the last all Ireland final at home in thomond . Leinsters last league final as also in the Rds.

Anyway, don't ask me I still think grand finals,while i understand why we have them are still not the fairest way of declaring an end of season winner. Finishing top of the league is.
Last edited by BlueBlue on January 31st, 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

If its against an Irish team , yes it would be in Lansdowne. But id still prefer it in the Rds. although not sure it would be as much an irfu decision , as Munster just had the last all Ireland final at home in thomond . Leinsters last league final as also in the Rds.

Anyway, don't ask me I still think grand finals, while i understand why we have them are still not the fairest way of declaring an end of season winner. Finishing top of the league is.
Last edited by BlueBlue on January 31st, 2012, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Sorry, feckin smart phone is killing me here.
drive for 5
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

BlueBlue wrote:Sorry, feckin smart phone is killing me here.
I think you're doing a bang up job on your own. :lol:
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Is the Rabo final not scheduled for 26th May same day as the soccer boys play at Landsdowne?
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

First post in this thread:
elfan wrote:Announced today that FAI have arranged a friendly for may 26 in LR. Thats date of PRO 12 final so no chance of it being moved there now.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Amz wrote:First post in this thread:
elfan wrote:Announced today that FAI have arranged a friendly for may 26 in LR. Thats date of PRO 12 final so no chance of it being moved there now.

Don't forget this at the top of the next page.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 00406.html
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

johng wrote:
BlueBue wrote:Sorry, feckin smart phone is killing me here.
I think you're doing a bang up job on your own. :lol:
:D
Ah sure you have to ruffle a few feathers every now and then, especially when they are so easy to ruffle .
drive for 5