Glasgow v Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Glasgow v Leinster

Post by johng »

So. Here we go, huge game for us on so meny levels.

Last time we played them in the League they took our home record.

Last time we played them in the League was the last time we lost a game in any comp. (September)

If we can win this one we will get breathing space at the tough end of the season. Last two games aer away to Ulster and the Dragons, just before a possible HC semi and a Pro 12 semi respectively.

If we lose this one we let Munster back in with a chance of catching us as they have a very easy run in. At best we will need to beat Ulster or Dragons to stay ahead.

If we win this we stick a nail in Glasgow's chances of making a semi. This may be a mixed blessing as we could end up playing Cardiff or Ulster, or even Ospreys in a semi instead.

And, of course, we extend our unbeaten run to 19 games.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Glasgow v Leinster

Post by johng »

Badly stuck in the 2nd row. How unhurt is Browne? Think he is carrying a knock and having to struggle through until we get Brad/Leo.

Decent options in the back row which allows Kev to move inside.

Think we should start Big Leo as he is the best 8 we have after Jamie & SOB. Ruddock/Ryan/McLaughlin/Jennings all better on the flank.

Bit of an ask to start Luke at 12 but it is the best option if he is fit. (Him and Conway are on a conditioning programme to make this game)

We lose Ferg, Reddan and Cronin to the Ireland camp.

Everything else, bar my nose, picks itself.

Van Der Merwe
Strauss
Hagan
Browne/Flanagan
Toner
McLaughlin
Jennings
Avua'a

Boss
Madigan
Carr
Fitzgerald
O'Malley
Kearney
Nacewa

Dundon/Sexton
McGrath
White
Ruddock
Ryan
Cooney
Macken/Berquist
Conway
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

This game always jumped out as a pivotal game in our Pro12 season. It's going to be a very tough ask. They'll put out a side very similar to the one that drew in Galway yesterday with Jackson probably moving to Scotland duty and being replaced by Weir who isn't a bad player. To win it, we're going to have to do the nuts and bolts well. We'll need a low error count...far lower than Friday night. Set piece is somewhere we can really attack them. Connacht had them under a lot of pressure at the scrum so I think we can attack that. I'd go with VDM and White for that reason. Line out will need to be good too. Strauss and Toner to link up there.

I felt we really lacked a go forward stimulus on Friday before Leo came into the fray. I pity the fool that tries to tackle him when he's motoring. He's got solid hands, good pace and pure power. He's been a fantastic addition to the squad this season and needs to start this one. Think McLaughlin showed up well also as a loose forward and is coming into form. I'd be reluctant to take him out of the back row for that reason. We're edging closer to the HEC quarters and if he's firing on all cylinders as he was for Leicester last season, he'll be a big positive. If Browne doesn't make it, I'd give Flanagan a shot at lock even though it's a big ask. With Kellock and Gray gone, he should be able to step up to the mark.

Mads at 10 on a tight pitch will have to keep the ball in hand which will suit him fine. He's going to need to find those gaps and play a very measured game if he does decide to put boot to ball. We've a much more incisive back line that Glasgow's so keeping the ball should be how we approach this game. Let them infringe, let Nacewa punish them and when the quick ball comes, let it out and strike. Jennings to forget about carrying or popping up around the place. Secure the rucks and tackle yourself to a standstill i.e. what he's best at.

Fitz at 12 to deal with Morrison and Nathan who, whilst limited, can run a hard line and punch a lot of holes. Big ask for him so soon after injury but he's got the talent. Outside those lads and Lemi, they've a relatively inexperienced side. If we play it smart, we can come away with the win. Conditions being dry would be a plus.

In conclusion....I select the same team as John.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Is this game on TG4 or RTE?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:Is this game on TG4 or RTE?
TG4. At least it's better than Alba
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Clashing with the England-Wales fixture and so soon after the Ireland one.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

ronk wrote:Clashing with the England-Wales fixture and so soon after the Ireland one.
1.30pm, 4pm and 6pm. At a push, there could be even enough time to get home from the Italy game and catch the majority of the England match before settling in for the main event.

On another note, really hope Conway gets on the pitch and gets a bit of game time under his belt. Must be incredibly frustrating for a bloke with so much potential only to ever get runs without injures when it's unlikely for him to be selected.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ceemec wrote:I'd go with VDM and White for that reason.
There's something we can disagree on. :) I think the scrum actually improved when Hago came on on Friday. I would start him on that basis, with instructions to kill anything that moves for an hour. White to make an impact at 50 or 60. McGrath to come on a bit later after VDM softens them up.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

If there are concerns over Browne's fitness, we should start McLaughlin together with Toner and go for the strongest front row possible to compensate. We're 10 points clear with 7 regular season games to go (2 of which are at home and another of which is away to Aironi) so we have some breathing space.

If we find ourselves needing to travel to a semi in Clermont, we will need to match them physically as Ulster did. To that end, we'll need all three of Leo, Thorn and Browne available. There is no point rushing players back from knocks for league games; we could wind up losing them for the rest of the season.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

tackle-bag wrote: If we find ourselves needing to travel to a semi in Clermont, we will need to match them physically as Ulster did. To that end, we'll need all three of Leo, Thorn and Browne available. There is no point rushing players back from knocks for league games; we could wind up losing them for the rest of the season.
Very true. But if we have to go to Clermont, we also want to be able to send the Academy up to Ulster the week before without having to worry about League points.

This game could put us in that position. I would be happy to start Flanagan or Kev with Dev in Glasgow. Thankfully Kellock and Grey will be playing France.

All for resting Browne if he needs it. 2 games and one of them is in Aironi.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Had at look at run ins, definitely between us and Munster for 1st place, Ospreys have too many tough away games/derbies.
Munster's only hard matches (excluding us) are Scarlets away (where they already won this season) and at a push Connacht away

We lose to Glasgow then home run in playoffs comes down to bonus points
Aironi away got tougher too as rescheduled Ireland match that weekend
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
There's something we can disagree on. :) I think the scrum actually improved when Hago came on on Friday. I would start him on that basis, with instructions to kill anything that moves for an hour. White to make an impact at 50 or 60. McGrath to come on a bit later after VDM softens them up.
Hagan started on Friday....
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Donny B. wrote:
Not when you wan to watch over here it's not!!
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Donny B. wrote: TG4. At least it's better than Alba
They're both Greek to me.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikey wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Not when you wan to watch over here it's not!!
Can you not access BBC Alba? It's on that as well.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

West Brit wrote:
Donny B. wrote: TG4. At least it's better than Alba
They're both Greek to me.
Can't understand either. but TG Clatter does seem a lot more professional. Which is unusual as one is BBC
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
johng wrote:
Ah you and your minor details...... The scrum was very good when he was on innanyways.

White came on before VDM? I ain't seen it on telly yet.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Ah you and your minor details...... The scrum was very good when he was on innanyways.

White came on before VDM? I ain't seen it on telly yet.
Ah you and your factual inaccuracies..... :D

Scrum was strong again with Hagan starting. Would be quite happy to see him start again with Heino on the other side.

And yes, White came on before Heino, but that was more to do with McGrath going very well.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

johng wrote:So. Here we go, huge game for us on so meny levels.
It's good to get excited but steady on, this is actually one of our least important games of the season when you think about it. I'd take five points from the next two weekends, really.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Yeah, I agree that this game is one of the least important we have to the end of the season, in both competitions. The only thing is we are defending an 18 game run without defeat but if we are to lose that record, it's better to go here than at any other time this season, simply because we can't afford a European loss from now on and the play-offs are on the horizon in the League. You could argue Aironi is even less in importance but serious questions will be asked if we fall there. Glasgow are a very decent team at home.

We are 10 points clear - effectively two games in hand - and the Ospreys are in Belfast this weekend. Even if we lose and they win, with an away fixture in Aironi the following weekend, we are looking at having at least a 5 point advantage over them by the time they play us in the RDS on March 23rd. Glasgow are 16 points behind us in the standings, Munster 14.

Our run in is not easy from now on - wins should be achievable against Ospreys and E'burg at home, and Aironi away - with Glasgow, Munster, Ulster (we've a great record there) and the Dragons away. Win 4 of the next 7 should get us over the line, since one will be against the near closest to us in the standings.