Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Lukey Fitz

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Golf Man wrote:
You don't have your facts completely right

From looking at the records in 2010 Fitz played in 7 Leinster games excluding friendlies (including 2 at full back), then got injured and missed 9 games, came back and played 3 (including 1 at full back) before being selected at full back for the 6N. He had admittedly missed a large proprtion of the season before

In 2011 Earls played in the WC (all at wing), then played 2 games for Munster (on the wing) before getting injured, before coming back to play 5 games at centre, prior to being selected for the 6N

The two are far closer than you make out
He was dropped from the first 15 because he was playing badly by Leinster and only got that third game because of injury in the warmup. He was awful against Saracens on a day when we hammered them he gifted them with three tries. As far as I know he got the game at FB in that three games at the request of the Ireland management (it was a league game at home and he was, IIRC, awful). So yes, you can indeed criticise the Irish management for selecting a player not ready to play for his club, out of position, at international level. That's not exciting, daring, far seeing, etc. etc. it's simply the wrong pick. Duffy was playing fine. He should have been picked. Maybe Luke would have come back into the reckoning after a few games for Leinster with the international contingent away, or maybe not. We can't tell that but we can tell that he was career threateningly awful that 6N and the management got it wrong. Very wrong. And it was pretty obvious they were going to get it wrong and that they persisted with a wrong decision. Once he picks you, he picks you until he hopes it gets right (see Buckley).

Fair enough point on the Fitz/Earls injury absences

I appreciate that McF had been playing well and was picked ahead of Fitz, who was ,maybe not in top form

That said Fitz had bene a fixture in the Ireland team since he was initially selcted and was test Lion - he was one of our front line players and whether people like it or not front line players will and should be treated differently, you can never select purely on "form"

More worrying though is your selection of Duffy. In the Irish set up for about 7 years up to that point and if had 7 caps that would be about that (and I'm pretty sure that half of them would be during Lions years). He would have been a dull unimaginative pick, Fitz was a far bolder call. Duffy is a fine player, a model professional, huge player for his club and all that, safe pair of hands but never going to be good enough for the elite level - kind of a John Kelly/Shane Jennings type player

If Kidney had picked him it would have been a terrible selection - he maybe should have picked Earls there and left Fitz on the wing - but Duffy - no way

Deco - thanks for the insightful contribution - do you have that comment set up for every Munster fan? this discussion is about how I agreed with Fitz being selected at full back for Leinster, and how OTT didn't - it has nothing to do with Munster :roll:
lostprofit
Beginner

Post by lostprofit »

OTT, did you just... call me a communist?
Ok then, Im totally down with that!
<Im afraid we are not in the old Soviet Union comrade, the notion that someone should just take what they are offered and get back in their corner as you suggest Luke should do with the current contract offer is not the way our society works>
I dont quite understand your point. You get offered what you earn, isnt that the way our society (is supposted to) work?
Cool. Has he earned it right now? Nope.
And I genuinly see nothing wrong with Zebos defending. (Or O'Malleys for that matter! Shame on you!) Now saying that, he could have a howler this weekend and Ill just laugh because that would be so typical. But just ask yourself a simple question, putting aside all talk of his talent and what he DID do (it should always be about what you are doing now):
Who is in better form? Luck or Simon?
Be honest.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

lostprofit wrote:OTT, did you just... call me a communist?
Ok then, Im totally down with that!
<Im afraid we are not in the old Soviet Union comrade, the notion that someone should just take what they are offered and get back in their corner as you suggest Luke should do with the current contract offer is not the way our society works>
I dont quite understand your point. You get offered what you earn, isnt that the way our society (is supposted to) work?
Cool. Has he earned it right now? Nope.
And I genuinly see nothing wrong with Zebos defending. (Or O'Malleys for that matter! Shame on you!) Now saying that, he could have a howler this weekend and Ill just laugh because that would be so typical. But just ask yourself a simple question, putting aside all talk of his talent and what he DID do (it should always be about what you are doing now):
Who is in better form? Luck or Simon?
Be honest.

Did you watch Bath at home? And dont see anything wrong with O'Malley's defence...really?? Shame on me indeed!!

Zebo is in better form, what is your point?

If you are not happy with what you are earning you can look elsewhere, thats how mu society works anyway not sure about you.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Golf Man wrote:

That said Fitz had bene a fixture in the Ireland team since he was initially selcted and was test Lion - he was one of our front line players and whether people like it or not front line players will and should be treated differently, you can never select purely on "form"

More worrying though is your selection of Duffy. In the Irish set up for about 7 years up to that point and if had 7 caps that would be about that (and I'm pretty sure that half of them would be during Lions years). He would have been a dull unimaginative pick, Fitz was a far bolder call. Duffy is a fine player, a model professional, huge player for his club and all that, safe pair of hands but never going to be good enough for the elite level - kind of a John Kelly/Shane Jennings type player

If Kidney had picked him it would have been a terrible selection - he maybe should have picked Earls there and left Fitz on the wing - but Duffy - no way
1 true I suppose
2 I just think he would have seen us through an injury crisis rather than be the future of the position
3 Fitz was playing on the wing against Saracens (I had thought he was fullback as he caused all three tries until someone here reminded me that wasn't the case). After seeing that I would have said to him "go get yourself a couple of games, play for Leinster A during the 6N and whatever games Leinster have, grab a hatful of tries, get back to fitness etc. We'll be waiting for you when you're ready". I may have been lying, but that's a coaches job. I really wouldn't have had him near the Irish team. I don't consider that bold. The Irish team is not the place for players to get their mojo back and rehab. The provinces are for that. And not necessarily the first team at that.

EDIT
OTT wrote:If you are not happy with what you are earning you can look elsewhere, thats how mu society works anyway not sure about you.
You're living in the past mate: if you're not happy with what you can earn you can fookrightoff is the new mantra!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Golf Man wrote:

1 true I suppose
2 I just think he would have seen us through an injury crisis rather than be the future of the position
3 Fitz was playing on the wing against Saracens (I had thought he was fullback as he caused all three tries until someone here reminded me that wasn't the case). After seeing that I would have said to him "go get yourself a couple of games, play for Leinster A during the 6N and whatever games Leinster have, grab a hatful of tries, get back to fitness etc. We'll be waiting for you when you're ready". I may have been lying, but that's a coaches job. I really wouldn't have had him near the Irish team. I don't consider that bold. The Irish team is not the place for players to get their mojo back and rehab. The provinces are for that. And not necessarily the first team at that.

quote]

I don't disagree with any of the above but the fact remains that the choice for full back was between Earls/Fitz and Duffy. Earls would have only had a few caps at that stage and would have had little or no experience at full back. Duffy had been in Ireland squads on and off for about 6/7 years never getting established, never really looking remotely like starting a competitive match, and lets face it was never going to be anything more than a stop gap

Fitz's selection was bolder, risky, very un Kidneyesque and was to be applauded, as had it worked out you could have had a viable alternative for Kearney, within the squad, which could only be a positive . I've had enough of going with the tried and trusted time and time again - this was the one time that I can remember DK going outside the box a little bit - I'm amazed that people would jump on him for that
lostprofit
Beginner

Post by lostprofit »

OTT wrote:
Did you watch Bath at home? And dont see anything wrong with O'Malley's defence...really?? Shame on me indeed!!
If you are not happy with what you are earning you can look elsewhere, thats how mu society works anyway not sure about you.
I see your Bath at home and raise you Bath in The Rec :)
I poit out Zebo as a player who deserves all the plaudits and attention at the moment because hes doing what a winger should be doing. Thou it was someone else who brought him into this not you, so thats just me getting a little side tracked.
And no ones saying he shouldnt have a right to negotiate but that right should be based on what you are doing right now, not hype or past efforts. Thats all.
Its toxic around here to critize Lukey Fitz too much, he is quite the darling. And if he comes back strongly and players a blinder for a continious and consistant length of time, I promise I will be among the first to say 'well done Luke make me eat my words'.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

lostprofit wrote: Its toxic around here to critize Lukey Fitz too much, he is quite the darling.
Really :? Have you actually read this thread or just the odd post
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

lostprofit wrote:
OTT wrote:
I see your Bath at home and raise you Bath in The Rec :)
I poit out Zebo as a player who deserves all the plaudits and attention at the moment because hes doing what a winger should be doing. Thou it was someone else who brought him into this not you, so thats just me getting a little side tracked.
And no ones saying he shouldnt have a right to negotiate but that right should be based on what you are doing right now, not hype or past efforts. Thats all.Its toxic around here to critize Lukey Fitz too much, he is quite the darling. And if he comes back strongly and players a blinder for a continious and consistant length of time, I promise I will be among the first to say 'well done Luke make me eat my words'.

O'Malley was a sub in the Bath away match, got a couple of mins at the end.....how does that prove anything about his defence?? Now if you had of used Clermont away Dec 2010 then you might have been on to something. Anyway it was you who called Luke a terrible defender of the back of one missed tackle against the Ospreys and the reason you remember it is because it was only a week ago then waxed lyrical about EOM (known for many good things of which his defence would not be a common one) in practically the same sentence. You should have the same standards for all the players or do you play favourites?

Luke is getting offered a contract by the IRFU for what they think hes worth currently which is their right, it might result in Leinster losing him. Ireland can pick him if hes playing abroad Leinster cant, so it will be Leinster who lose out. Thats all

Anyone can say what they want about Fitzgerald but if I think its unfair like your original post was I will certainly defend him. I support Leinster players when their on top of their game and when they are struggling,of course constructive criticism never hurt anyone and Fitz is most certainly not without his faults, who is. We probably look for different things in rugby players, I believe it was yourself who coined the Shaggy 2.0 phrase for Fionn Carr.......
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

OTT wrote:

Luke is getting offered a contract by the IRFU for what they think hes worth currently which is their right, it might result in Leinster losing him.
IF the figures reported in the IT are accurate i can't see any other team offering him a contract even at the reduced rate of 200k a season tbh. Defo not an English team that's for sure and would be surprised if a French team would be that interested. My guess is Luke accepts the reduced offer
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

In fairness to O'Malley [who defended extremely slackly in his substitute appearance against Bath before Christmas], in the very next game he played you could see an enormous improvement in his tackling. From what I've seen he's continued to improve that element of his game since then. I'd say he got absolutely roasted in the video analysis of the Bath game, because he's going much, much lower these days and is putting in some really text-book tackles. Seems to be a very bright and coachable player.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Luke tried too hard tonight and should have looked for support more. However he is getting into great spaces and that is one of the best signs of a player coming back into form. If he attituide is "let me play my way to the contract I deserve", he may be better represented than in recent times.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Luke tried too hard tonight and should have looked for support more. However he is getting into great spaces and that is one of the best signs of a player coming back into form. If he attituide is "let me play my way to the contract I deserve", he may be better represented than in recent times.

I fought he played well but still needs to be better , he took a couple of wrong options, he clearly is dangerous to the opposition, he just needs to make sure he is not dangerous to us !!
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Scott wrote:
OTT wrote:

Luke is getting offered a contract by the IRFU for what they think hes worth currently which is their right, it might result in Leinster losing him.
IF the figures reported in the IT are accurate i can't see any other team offering him a contract even at the reduced rate of 200k a season tbh. Defo not an English team that's for sure and would be surprised if a French team would be that interested. My guess is Luke accepts the reduced offer
200k is buttons in France for a player of Luke's calibre. If he decides to go to France they'll be all over him, and he would likely double or triple his money. But he 'd play maybe twice as many games for the money, they are in training from June, playing in July and if he's goes to a leading side he could be playing in HEC/TOP 14 finals in May...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Double whammy..... :oops:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
mhow
Knowledgeable

Post by mhow »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 67714.html

Jim Glennon on LF contract negotiations etc
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

I think people are being incredibly harsh on fitzgerald yesterday, bar nacewa he looked to me to be the best attacking threat we had yesterday
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
lostprofit
Beginner

Post by lostprofit »

OTT, you know the more we talk the more I think we actually think the same? I just think, with his current performances in mind, he should absolutly take what is been offered, and not band around the 'Im worth more' banner.
Its not what you've done, its what youre doing.
It was me that did the Shaggy 2.0 phrase! I thought Carr was 5 inches taller or so than he actually was. No ones perfect I guess >.<
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

Scott wrote:
OTT wrote:

I agree with this. If the money being talked about is true I think he should take it. He is not playing like he deserves the same money. The best thing that Fitz can do is try and negotiate a shorter deal and try get back into form and prove that he is worth the money he wants in a couple of years. He is still very young so he will definitly be getting more contract offers down the line he just needs to bite the bullet this time I think. i think the players and fans and generally everyone associated with Leinster and Irish rugby would respect him a lot more for taking this deal and working to prove he is worth more in a couple of years
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

mhow wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 67714.html

Don't rate Jim Glennon as a pundit, politician or a lobbyist. I think he talks an awful lot of shite.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

cwebber82 wrote:
mhow wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 67714.html

Don't rate Jim Glennon as a pundit, politician or a lobbyist. I think he talks an awful lot of shite.

Don't know much about the last two but he is a f%~king useless rugby pundit. Hate hearing take shite on the radio & his articles are pure muck