Lukey Fitz

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Edna Kenny
Graduate

Re: Lukey Fitz

Post by Edna Kenny »

Amen.

If you only read internet forums you'd think everyone hated each other. I always find that when you go to the matches you see what supporters are actually like. I've never had a bad experience at a Leinster/Munster game (apart from losing) There's always been good banter (hate that word) between supporters. No spitting, pen stealing or anything else that gets mentioned here annually.

As for Luke, we don't have any word that he is going so a lot of people are getting really wound up without any facts. I hope he stays, I think he would be mad to move given that he will be a senior player at Leinster next year and can work with Joe to accomodate him wherever he wants in the backline, if he really wats to play centre there will be opportunities.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I've been saying it for a while (as have others), Irish rugby is broken, and the "fans" are a huge part of the problem.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I hope Luke stays I think he is a brilliant player but if he leaves it will be down to him. Its healthy that Munster or anyone else can make a counter offer (of equal financial incentive) for a player. I would hate to see him play for Munster just like Connacht fans will hate to see McCarthy line up for Leinster but we cant block competition between provinces.

The posters talking about frontline players like POC and ROG not making the move to Leinster in their pomp or more so not being allowed to is rubbish, they are Munster men who were playing for the most successful team in Europe why would they have wanted to play for Leinster? Just like Hickie, BOD, Girve and Shaggy etc would have strolled into the Munster team of that era but there was no way they would have joined Munster and anyone who witnessed in person or watched on tv the final in '09 will attest to this, it meant everything to them and those who went before like Hickie, Mullet etc. And there is the issue for me, why does Luke want to play for Munster if the reports are true?

On saying all that I think he will still be with us next season but competition is healthy at all times not just when it suits us.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

Schmidt revealed: “We’ve put a contract extension to Luke. We are pretty hopeful that he will opt to take it. I haven’t had a massive chance to talk to him. I have had one chat with him as he hasn’t been in camp because he is recuperating ahead of ACL surgery. So hopefully this week the two of us we will sit down to chat about the whys and wherefors and hopefully he will be with us next year. He is a good player we’d love to hold on to.”
Fingers crossed sounds better than the he has signed for Munster rumours

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 6433.html?
Last edited by nopeare on March 25th, 2013, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

[Jackass] wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:IF this happens to be true, I need to know the logic behind this. Why are we releasing a player from contract to go to Munster (Conway), also after an academy player was poached from us before (Jones), they tried to poach Luke before whilst out of school, tried to poach Ruddock, God knows who else, and now a front line player in Luke being allowed to be poached by the IRFU...why is it being allowed to happen is what confuses me...and all this on the back of losing Sexton and Nacewa...what is going on? Are there some serious issues behind the scenes? Is there massive unrest in the camp? And if that is the case, why are the IRFU standing idley by as the vulchers swarm.....why is it SO important to the IRFU that Munster, specifically, don't collapse, but seem so keen on hammering Leinster down as much as they can....there's no excuse to hide behind, players leaving "for game time" are players who would be front line players, game time is not an issue. Conway would have been due to step up to a lot more senior role in the squad next season but left for example. Luke couldn't be any more senior and could be on the wing or centre, where ever he wants, he would have got the game time.

Something is rotten, and we need answers. If the Luke deal is confirmed, then there has to be a reaction. We must demand answers from Mick Dawson, but we must also demand answers from the IRFU and their clear propping up of Munster.

LEINSTER have brought in the lions share of money over the last half decade, propping up the finances of loss making Munster, also propping up their team with an entire Leinster backline at their disposal. Also, any Munster players we have are not signed directly, other than two average players in Hogan and Keogh who were never going to make it at Munster, I don't recall ever signing a player directly off them, let alone poaching their players or hanging around the car park of their academy like a sleazy paedophile, trying to see who we can lure into our van...

We need serious answers if this happens. Perhaps the OLSC could call an EGM and request an official statement, an EXPLANATION from Mick Dawson, but have him know the disgust of supporters, and look at options. If it's an IRFU agenda, I think the option of leaving the IRFU umbrella must seriously be considered, as it's doing a lot more harm than good, and fan pressure speaks volumes. If this goes through I will certainly consider boycotting Leinster until I get an explanation as to what is going on.

Well, where to start...

First of all, Mike McCarthy is a Connacht signing, not a home grown player, similar to Nathan White leaving Leinster and going to Connacht. Also, he is moving from a development province to one of the biggest teams in Europe.

More reasons why, well other than Nathan White going there similar to Mike McCarthy coming here, there is also the likes of Jason Harris-Wright, Paul O'Donoghue, Fionn Carr, Jamie Hagan, Dave McSharry, Kyle Tonetti amongst dozens of other of former Leinster players sent to Connacht to keep them competetive, Leinster contribute a massive amount toConnacht and I'd dare say a lot more than Ulster or Munster do, and not least their inclusion in Heineken Cup rugby also being down to Leinster, a large chunk of good that has happened in Connacht is in no small part thanks indirectly or otherwise, to Leinsters contribution to Irish rugby.

So if we sign one player from Connacht that we didn't send there in the first place, I think it's a little bit different to having a former big team now collpased, and expecting Leinster to prop them up as well, we already prop up Munster financial losses by bringing in just about all the European club rugby in the last number of seasons, although Ulster have contributed also by making a final, but now we have Ronan, Keatley, Murphy, Downey, Potentially Fitz, Conway, Jones all propping up Munsters failings, as well as them trying to sign Ruddock and God knows who else recently, in the mean time, Leinster haven't gone near Munster since over a decade ago when we took two below par players who were surplus to requirements at Munster...

The likes of Ross & Reddan are players we brought back from England, but Leinster don't sniff around Munster.

And I know "The best fans in the world" never show up to games any more now that Munster aren't even Pro12 play-off standard team, I know they are worried that after Munster lose to Quins and their season is over, they will be second seeds in the Heineken Cup next season, so wont get the likes of Edinburgh as their "big team" to be drawn against, they'll get the likes of Toulouse, Clermont or Toulon, and without Leinsters help, may not make it out of the group for 10+ years ala Ulster, and I know that the IRFU are worried about Munster defaulting on their loan to pay for the stadium and not getting much ticket sales or merchandise sales, and I know Leinster sell more tickets than the Irish national rugby team, and got better crowds at the Aviva to play Cardiff than Ireland got playing the All Blacks, I know the IRFU are terrified of Leinsters success and outgrowing them, and I know they need money coming in from somewhere other than Leinster and collapse of Munster has been a disastor, which is why Kidney has been allowed free rein to cap sh*t players from Munster and include them in the team to try and improve their cr@p players who wouldn't make a Leinster team, let alone an Irish team, like Kilcoyne, Archer, Varley, O'Mahony, Murray, Jones, O'Gara etc. and fought making Madigan Irelands #1 as they are trying to clip Leinsters wings whilst trying to bring Munster back from the brink of total collapse, but I just am sick of Leinster being the ones to have to prop up Irish rugby.

That's how it's different.
Full Retard alarm going off here in a major major way - I'll assume its a WUM but bearing in mind the poster maybe its not

First off is Ross and Reddan aren't going to be considered Leinster poaches you'd probably do well to apply the same logic to Downey and Murphy. Also Keatley and Cronin have teh exact same path. Also none of the players that you mention were first choice when tehy left. In fact while Munster have taken some of Leinsters squad players in the last couple of years, Leinster have harvested Connacht's first team more than anyone - Hagan, Cronin and McCarthy (and Keatley) were key key players - not squad players

Secondly there are always always going to be more players moving from Leinster academies to the other provinces - Leinster has twice the population of Munster and five time that of Connacht - before you even consider the relative standards of schools rugby. I assume that Leinster would still like to have the likes of Tonetti, MacSharry etc still in their ranks - Leinster have the advanatage here - they have a way bigger base to choose from and get to pick the best to keep on!

Seeing as Leinster are starting out on a bit of a transition themselves it seems to have got to you a bit - yes the Munster players yu mention have been capped - you mention seven - two second choice props, a 4/5th choice hooker and a fullback - not sure if any of them have ever started a game. Not sure who would have had starting at 10 for Ireland in that whole 2000 - 2010 period. Murray and POM would walk into the Leinster team.

Also acts are good when making a point - This season Munster may not be a Rabo play off team but they are a HC play off team - something that Leinster aren't this season. Apparently Leinster have brought in just about all the European rugby in recent years - since the HC started (and that wasn't in 2009) Munster have played in more HC knockout games than Leinster and Ulster combined (27,19,8 respectively). Leinster have the biggest market but they aren't propping up jack sh!t

Fitzgerald may move, but I doubt it - he has had a really bad run of injuries and the timing of those with his contractual set up has been particuraly unlucky - his next contract is a key one and he is right to consider all options - it would be a huge move because it would be a first choice player moving (unlike the drivel you posted above) Its hard to see Leinster not doing verything to keep him with all teh changes taht will be needed in their backline in the next year or so, but with his injury record he maybe isn't the best bet for either team. You possibly need to come to terms with the fact that you've had 4 great great years - and that you probably have a couple of relatively speaking not so great years coming up - here's to a backline of REddan/Madigan/Goodman/O Malley/Kearney/Kearney/McFadden burning it up next year
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I wouldnt take POM over Jennings, Heaslip, McLaughlin or O'Brien or Murphy. It would be a toss up between him, Ruddock or Dippy.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

the spoofer wrote:I wouldnt take POM over Jennings, Heaslip, McLaughlin or O'Brien or Murphy. It would be a toss up between him, Ruddock or Dippy.
Dunno if it's my blue tinted glasses, but I'd be inclined to agree with this.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

mtleinster wrote:
masterchief wrote: There are muppets on both sides of the fence, they're in a minority but they exist on both sides. I've experienced plenty of gobsh*te supporters in the RDS and I've been going out there since well before Leinster became successful in recent years.

HUMMMM :?

The horse show crowd have really let us down.
Maybe he was angry at being invited to the wrong party venue considering we were all around in Donnybrook at the time....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Every time you go off on one it's a facepalm moment Jackass.

This IRFU conspiracy must be eating you up eh? Some of the stuff in that really is tinfoil hat stuff.

Give it a rest ffs.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:Personally I am sick of all this. "I would like Munster if their fans were not such a load of turnip eating bog monsters who lack class. I tried to like them but some of their fans were rude/showed disrespect/whatever"

Or "I would like Leinster if their fans were not such a load of Ross O'Carroll Kelly types with no clue about rugby. I tried to like them but the sight of them unwrapping their first Leinster Jersey outside Murrayfield etc"

You see what you want to see in these situations. Like the people on here who complain about an article in the press that says. "Leinster are fabulous, Leinster are the best team in Europe, etc etc, but I don't like Ian Madigan's hair." They only focus on the negative part and ignore the rest.

If you were beaten up by a gang of black guys would that make all black guys thugs?

I have met lovely people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and speak like an Irish version of Queen Elizabeth.

I have met lovely people who have nothing and speak like Jackie Healy Rae.

It's all in your head lads. And says more about you than it does about the opposition fans.

I was in a pub in London when we were playing Sarries in Wembly. Munster were playing (I think) Toulon. Dr Phil was playing anyway. Many of the Leinster fans were cheering on Toulon (Because of Phil) some were cheering Munster. There was a guy going round shouting "You should all be ashamed of yourselves shouting against an Irish team" etc

He was the only person who was wrong in my book. I have shouted for and against Munster over the years for different reasons (normally against if it benefits Leinster like the Racing game in Jan) You shout for whoever you shout for on whatever day, for whatever reason.

Personally I like to shout for someone for positive reasons, but I get it that there are some people who's passion for their team can make them hate their rival team. The more passionate they are for their team the more they hate their rivals etc. That's OK too. Just try not to base it on perceived behaviour of the opposition fans.

For me, Rugby is about wanting to kill the opposition and all of their family for 80 minutes, then shaking hands and going for a beer.

[/rant]
:clap: Well said John - it's so handy when others post what I've been trying to come up with the words to express.

Unfortunately, as this is the most sensible and reasoned post in this entire thread it will probably be largely overlooked.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:Personally I am sick of all this. "I would like Munster if their fans were not such a load of turnip eating bog monsters who lack class. I tried to like them but some of their fans were rude/showed disrespect/whatever"

Or "I would like Leinster if their fans were not such a load of Ross O'Carroll Kelly types with no clue about rugby. I tried to like them but the sight of them unwrapping their first Leinster Jersey outside Murrayfield etc"
Voice of reason. Also very funny. JohnG: should have been pope, but the Jesuits have it all tied up.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Good post from John G, always nice to hear a voice of reason when things get too entrenched.

Jackass does have one valid point though, we should be due some truth from the Provinces instead of having to feed off rumours and articles from unpopular journos.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
PCASEY
Knowledgeable

Post by PCASEY »

Xanthippe wrote:

You see what you want to see in these situations. Like the people on here who complain about an article in the press that says. "Leinster are fabulous, Leinster are the best team in Europe, etc etc, but I don't like Ian Madigan's hair." They only focus on the negative part and ignore the rest.

If you were beaten up by a gang of black guys would that make all black guys thugs?

I have met lovely people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and speak like an Irish version of Queen Elizabeth.

I have met lovely people who have nothing and speak like Jackie Healy Rae.

It's all in your head lads. And says more about you than it does about the opposition fans.

I was in a pub in London when we were playing Sarries in Wembly. Munster were playing (I think) Toulon. Dr Phil was playing anyway. Many of the Leinster fans were cheering on Toulon (Because of Phil) some were cheering Munster. There was a guy going round shouting "You should all be ashamed of yourselves shouting against an Irish team" etc

He was the only person who was wrong in my book. I have shouted for and against Munster over the years for different reasons (normally against if it benefits Leinster like the Racing game in Jan) You shout for whoever you shout for on whatever day, for whatever reason.

Personally I like to shout for someone for positive reasons, but I get it that there are some people who's passion for their team can make them hate their rival team. The more passionate they are for their team the more they hate their rivals etc. That's OK too. Just try not to base it on perceived behaviour of the opposition fans.

For me, Rugby is about wanting to kill the opposition and all of their family for 80 minutes, then shaking hands and going for a beer.

[/rant]
:clap: Well said John - it's so handy when others post what I've been trying to come up with the words to express.

Unfortunately, as this is the most sensible and reasoned post in this entire thread it will probably be largely overlooked.
bump
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

outcast eddie wrote:Jackass does have one valid point though, we should be due some truth from the Provinces instead of having to feed off rumours and articles from unpopular journos.
Not really sure what you want them to say. Even if Luke is staying, should Leinster come out now and say "there are contracts on the table from both ourselves and Munster, he'll make up his mind in due course"?
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

They've already said that, through Joe.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Not really sure what you want them to say. Even if Luke is staying, should Leinster come out now and say "there are contracts on the table from both ourselves and Munster, he'll make up his mind in due course"?[/quote]

If that is the case well then yes.

All we've had so far is supposedly well connected posters saying it's a done deal and Joe quoted in the press as saying LR are trying to keep him.

It's not just the Fitz situation though, we still don't know the whole story behind Johnnie S and Andy Conway's moves. WTF is going on?

Do we not deserve some truth?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

AdamK wrote:They've already said that, through Joe.
All I've seen is the interview above but Joe never mentioned Munster and it'd be madness for Leinster to do so.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
AdamK wrote:They've already said that, through Joe.
All I've seen is the interview above but Joe never mentioned Munster and it'd be madness for Leinster to do so.
Penney was asked about it on Saturday and said they wouldnt comment on anything until it was concrete or words to that effect.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

outcast eddie wrote:If that is the case well then yes.

All we've had so far is supposedly well connected posters saying it's a done deal and Joe quoted in the press as saying LR are trying to keep him.

It's not just the Fitz situation though, we still don't know the whole story behind Johnnie S and Andy Conway's moves. WTF is going on?

Well I don't think you should expect Leinster to comment on any rumours you hear.

I'd love to hear the truth about the other moves but no I don't think we have a right to know. It'd be very unprofessional to comment on a player's private contract negotiations.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:If that is the case well then yes.

Well I don't think you should expect Leinster to comment on any rumours you hear.

I'd love to hear the truth about the other moves but no I don't think we have a right to know. It'd be very unprofessional to comment on a player's private contract negotiations.
The Fitz story broke with a groundswell of rumour and a few nod and wink articles in the news papers, much the same way as the Johnny S and Andy C stories.

Leinster rugby know in advance when these moves are about to become public knowledge and a well timed press release would be appreciated by fans who devote time and expense to following the team.

Most people would say that would be a professional way to handle this or do you think the news of these transfers has been well delivered?