Lukey Fitz

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Lukey Fitz

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't think the problem is what Leinster tell the fans, the problem is why we're losing players. In fairness, if you want to know what's going with the contract negotiations then go and work for Leinster rugby.

I really have no idea why you feel entitled to this info. What would you do with it? Would it help you to prepare for next season or something? There's no reason why Leinster should comment on an ongoing process.

The only time I've been disapponted in what Leinster have/haven't told us is after the Sykes incident in pre season. Once that was sorted I think that Leinster should have explained it given the nature of the allegations.
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

outcast eddie wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:If that is the case well then yes.

All we've had so far is supposedly well connected posters saying it's a done deal and Joe quoted in the press as saying LR are trying to keep him.

It's not just the Fitz situation though, we still don't know the whole story behind Johnnie S and Andy Conway's moves. WTF is going on?

Do we not deserve some truth?
Well I don't think you should expect Leinster to comment on any rumours you hear.

I'd love to hear the truth about the other moves but no I don't think we have a right to know. It'd be very unprofessional to comment on a player's private contract negotiations.
The Fitz story broke with a groundswell of rumour and a few nod and wink articles in the news papers, much the same way as the Johnny S and Andy C stories.

Leinster rugby know in advance when these moves are about to become public knowledge and a well timed press release would be appreciated by fans who devote time and expense to following the team.

Most people would say that would be a professional way to handle this or do you think the news of these transfers has been well delivered?
I agree with you on this, I think Leinster should release something to let the fans know what's happening, I'm usually a fan of our normal routine of releasing it all in one big go and staying away from the normal BS but there is a lot of uncertainty around the club at the moment. From a marketing point of view it would be helpful as well, with all ST being renewed/bought all we are seeing is our players moving/retiring or there is still uncertainty over their contracts Bod and Leo deserve time to see what they're going to do but there are others we have no word on. All this can't be good for ticket sales and sponsorship in general or for the new stadium. Its not quiet as bad as some people are making out, but I don't think any Leinster fan can say they are not uneasy with everything going on and if Fitz moves south mass hysteria will break out.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I'd like to know either yes, Luke is going to another club and who that club is, no he's staying at Leinster or Lukes contract is under negotiation and there are other teams offers on the table.

I'd like to know that before I read here on a Saturday morning that it's a done deal and he is going to the Turnips. (BTW 3 months ago I would dismiss those type of posts but my belief has taken a few hits lately)

If we had that kind of concrete information we would be spared some of the anti-Munster ranting on here and maybe that kind of openess might inform us of what, if anything, is wrong at Leinster Rugby.

If I ever happen to end up sitting next to Joe on a long haul flight somewhere I'd also try to find out what's happening with Damien Browne and what exactly is wrong with Isa's arm.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The season tickets are on sale for the next 5 months or so, I can't really see what else Leinster can say until things are confirmed one way or another.
Dont Panic!
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Personally I would prefer if everyone at Leinster continued to do what's best for the team, something they seem to do pretty well at the moment. I am sure there are constantly negotiations going on in the background but if they had to waste time giving press releases for every rumour there was about a player then it would probably waste a lot of their time and I am sure Joe would be sick of answering questions on rumours. Leinster have a policy of not confirming anything until a deal is done which I think is admirable.

They have known about Isa for several months, yes they could have released info about that but then the search for a replacement could have been more difficult. By keeping the news off the radar for a few months they have probably been able to do a fair bit of homework and identify a replacement without being under the glare of the media.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Edna Kenny wrote:Leinster have a policy of not confirming anything until a deal is done which I think is admirable.
Agreed. Not just admirable, but absolutely necessary, I think.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

meinster wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:Leinster have a policy of not confirming anything until a deal is done which I think is admirable.
Agreed. Not just admirable, but absolutely necessary, I think.
I fully agree with you's there, I like the way Leinster handle themselves its very professional. At the moment though with so many of our high profile players futures unclear or going/gone that I would like some sort of release even something small like Dom Ryan or Toner re-signed so it doesn't all seem to be one way traffic.
Dexter wrote:The season tickets are on sale for the next 5 months or so, I can't really see what else Leinster can say until things are confirmed one way or another.
Your right there is plenty of time left for ST and they most likely will sell out, it was more aimed towards the naming rights for the stadium that the uncertainty wouldn't help.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

AdamK wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I wouldnt take POM over Jennings, Heaslip, McLaughlin or O'Brien or Murphy. It would be a toss up between him, Ruddock or Dippy.
Dunno if it's my blue tinted glasses, but I'd be inclined to agree with this.
O Brien is a given, possibly Heaslip, but he is simply not as good as he was. A 31 year old on the way down (admittedly still effective at a certain level), a solid 28 year old HC player, and an unproven 21 year old ahead of a 23 year old with 2 HC campaigns behind him, more caps already than any of the others and proven captaincy capabilities. Each to their own and all but I'd take POM (despite him being a bit of a target for some Leinster fans atm) any day over the others
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if Leinster comment publicly on everything/all rumours it makes life/negotiating difficult for them

Say all the backline departures announced at once/a few months ago, agent of any back looking to re sign or bring in a player has them over a barrell
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:if Leinster comment publicly on everything/all rumours it makes life/negotiating difficult for them

Say all the backline departures announced at once/a few months ago, agent of any back looking to re sign or bring in a player has them over a barrell
Yeah but we're not looking for a ride, all we want is a bit of a hug - one arm would do :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Golf Man wrote:
AdamK wrote:
the spoofer wrote:I wouldnt take POM over Jennings, Heaslip, McLaughlin or O'Brien or Murphy. It would be a toss up between him, Ruddock or Dippy.
Dunno if it's my blue tinted glasses, but I'd be inclined to agree with this.
O Brien is a given, possibly Heaslip, but he is simply not as good as he was. A 31 year old on the way down (admittedly still effective at a certain level), a solid 28 year old HC player, and an unproven 21 year old ahead of a 23 year old with 2 HC campaigns behind him, more caps already than any of the others and proven captaincy capabilities. Each to their own and all but I'd take POM (despite him being a bit of a target for some Leinster fans atm) any day over the others
It's funny there are players on both sides who just seem to be "unpopular" with the other sides fans for various reasons.

Heaslip
D'Arcy
Jennings
Cullen

On our side

O'Mahony
Earls
Leamy
Micko D

On yours.

Being honest, the jury is out for me on POM. Don't think I would take him ahead of McLaughlin. Obviously I am a bit blue tinted on this, and I may eat my words a year from now. Keith Earls is a fine winger but I think he is just missing a bit between the ears at the top level. Not meaning he is thick, but that he does not have the "rugby brain" to play centre at international level. Again perhaps a tinge of blue but there you go. We are quick to judge players from Munster and a little more forgiving of our own. We also see more of our own too, to be able to judge.

Always gets a bit murky when the "unseen work" comes into it. Cullen, Doc, POM and perhaps Jennings are good examples of this.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:if Leinster comment publicly on everything/all rumours it makes life/negotiating difficult for them

Yeah but we're not looking for a ride, all we want is a bit of a hug - one arm would do :lol:
Tit on the outside perhaps?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I'd take earls for Leinster in a blink. Even before Luke left, but I don't think he'd make a centre here.
Micko was an excellent player, people were maybe annoyed at how serially badly Leinster locks were treated by the village idiot.
O'Mahoney is not a better six that Locky, seven than Jenno, or eight than Jamie. Or any than Sean. He would probably make our bench though as he covers all three.
Leamy was a distinctly unlike able player. As dirty as they come and with really limited skills. What was to like about him? He also had about twenty too many Irish caps, he was long finished by the time he got to the World Cup. In his last five caps his first action in four of them was to knock on, the other he buchered a certain try.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Tit on the outside perhaps?
so........ how about that local sports team
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

fourthirtythree wrote: Leamy was a distinctly unlike able player. As dirty as they come and with really limited skills. What was to like about him? He also had about twenty too many Irish caps, he was long finished by the time he got to the World Cup. In his last five caps his first action in four of them was to knock on, the other he buchered a certain try.
After his injury in the 09AIs he shouldn't have played for Ireland again. He was never as good as he was before.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

fourthirtythree wrote:I'd take earls for Leinster in a blink......
Why??? Earls is a limited rugby player with poor basic skills, passing,vision,tackling, if he had unbelievable pace he could get away with it, as many of the great speedsters do. However he doesnt even have that finishing speed or ability, as evinced by him haring for the corner against Scotland and easily being hauled down.
I know strike rate for a Munster winger kick chaser, will never be great, but his is poor compared too all the other limited wingers plying their trade around Europe, so he has to be compared against them. If Carr couldnt make it under Schmidt, there is no reason Earls would.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:I'd take earls for Leinster in a blink. Even before Luke left, but I don't think he'd make a centre here.
Micko was an excellent player, people were maybe annoyed at how serially badly Leinster locks were treated by the village idiot.
O'Mahoney is not a better six that Locky, seven than Jenno, or eight than Jamie. Or any than Sean. He would probably make our bench though as he covers all three.
Leamy was a distinctly unlike able player. As dirty as they come and with really limited skills. What was to like about him? He also had about twenty too many Irish caps, he was long finished by the time he got to the World Cup. In his last five caps his first action in four of them was to knock on, the other he buchered a certain try.
Lady luck has been hard on Leamy. Around the 2006/7 years he was on the cusp of world class, he was really motoring. A very bad shoulder injury, I think it was, stopped him his tracks. He came back with all the reputation but little of his previous dynamism. So what people saw (new fans) was a player with a huge reputation but barley rabo level performance. He retired at 30years old but the real Leamy went away about 3 years earlier. With a bit of luck he would be at his peak now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Firstly I rate him as a winger.
Secondly he would have been really handy as a full back this year.
Thirdly I think the coacing and environment in leinster would improve the areas of his game that could do with it.
Luke always looked like a good player shoehorned into a wing spot, Earls a good player shoehorned into tbe centre. They both did well in their position but I don't think either fully delivered on their potential.

By the way I can fully understand someone thinking POM is a better6 than Kevin, less so thinking he's a better 7 than Jenno, and he would need to play 8 sometime in the future to have a shout ahead of Heasljp, he was awful last year. That said I wish he would play at 8 for Munster, Heaslip needs the competition.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Edit went missing, yes Leamy was terribly unlucky with injury. He was perhaps our player of the 6N one year. The one after Wallace was. But then his stupidity, and he was kind of dumb as well as he was dirty which is an unlikeable combination, threw away a championship for us in Rome.

The step up to Ferris was large.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Loathe as I would be to ever see Luke in red, if he wishes to go that is his choice. To me if someone wants to go somewhere else to do the same work for the same pay it speaks of someone being unhappy with their current working environment. If you were unhappy with your employers and you had a chance to do the job you love for the same pay you'd change jobs. Simple as that. We're too close as fans, we feel an ownership over players where there is none. They're free to do what they want for the most part.... contracts aside...ok except Conway, I digress :oops: Please continue the sh1t slinging