Lukey Fitz

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Lukey Fitz

Post by outcast eddie »

I suppose it makes some kind of sense, there isn't much room on the national squad for wingers in the next few years but there is space for a decent centre.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

nopeare wrote:Was having a look through the Super 15 teams to see if there were any Irish on the books found one. Declan O'Donnell who is mixed Maori-Irish decent. Don't know anything of him, do any of you? he also played 7's for NZ would that stop him being IQ? could be interesting to have a go he is contracted with the chiefs Highlanders but was dropped from their squad for this season needed a shoulder op in January.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declan_O%27Donnell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK_WvOPUNoY
7 means that he can only play for NZ.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

outcast eddie wrote:I suppose it makes some kind of sense, there isn't much room on the national squad for wingers in the next few years but there is space for a decent centre.
Yeah, and a big bloody opportunity to play centre in Leinster, no?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've long thought that Luke would make an excellent centre but realistically the wear and tear in the centre would be even worse than on the wing and he's hardly coped well with that has he?

I'm sure that he wants to be a centre so that he get his hands on the ball more but I've always been impressed with his defence when he slots in there, never looks out of place.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

Just announced on 98fm Luke is gone :(

*EDIT: just came back in the same news read and said "it could be a runner" (we all fecking know that). But not good when Leinster official radio partners are talking more about it
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Did they not say "may" have signed in their report? I didn't hear it but just reading that on Twitter.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

ceemec wrote:Did they not say "may" have signed in their report? I didn't hear it but just reading that on Twitter.
He said originally his move was a runner then came back on and put emphasis on that it COULD be a runner after the next lad read his bit (I just panicked a bit when I heard it)
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

naraic wrote: 7 means that he can only play for NZ.
Thanks that's what I thought but wasn't 100% on it so said I'd ask
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Is this Luke Fitzgerald to Munster move another attempt by the IRFU to strengthen a weakened province like they did with Ulster? Possibly using the carrot of a better deal than they offered him pre injury last year on the condition he move to Munster.

Shameful IMO if that turns out to be the case, Leinster are the only reason Luke is still in Ireland/Irish System at present.
Last edited by Darce on March 26th, 2013, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Darce wrote:Is this Luke Fitzgerald to Munster move another attempt by the IRFU to strengthen a weakened province like they did with Ulster? Possibly using the carrot of a better deal than they offered him pre injury last year on the condition he move to Munster.

Shameful IMO, Leinster are the only reason Luke is still in Ireland/Irish System at present.
We should wait to see what Luke has to say before jumping on him.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Keith wrote:
Darce wrote:Is this Luke Fitzgerald to Munster move another attempt by the IRFU to strengthen a weakened province like they did with Ulster? Possibly using the carrot of a better deal than they offered him pre injury last year on the condition he move to Munster.

Shameful IMO, Leinster are the only reason Luke is still in Ireland/Irish System at present.
We should wait to see what Luke has to say before jumping on him.
Yes, you're right. Have edited my post accordingly
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

I've stuck up for Luke in the past, especially on here where he was a constant target.
But have to say I'm deeply disappointed he's leaving (if its true - which appears incredibly likely now).
As someone else said, where was he this time last year?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Not that, it just doesn't make sense for him to move there. Given that (if he wants to be a 13) Drico will be gone by the end of 2014 season at the latest(I'd imagine).

Bizzare
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Niftof9
Beginner

Post by Niftof9 »

Its more that he wants to be a twelve. Joe apparently doesn't think he is a centre.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not that convinced myself to be honest.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Niftof9 wrote:Its more that he wants to be a twelve. Joe apparently doesn't think he is a centre.
I thought he wanted to be a full-back?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Niftof9 wrote:Its more that he wants to be a twelve. Joe apparently doesn't think he is a centre.
It was Joe that moved him to 12 last season during the world cup as he thought Fitz could do well there.

Surely Joe would still be open to the idea seeing as he first suggested it to Fitz?
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Sure Joe is probably gonzo after next season too so what does it matter what he thinks long term.

12 isn't really a position he played a lot growing up. He's mostly (but not exclusively) been a 13 or 15. With the odd run at 10 and 12. Wing only really became a position for him as Cheicks was ushering him into the pro game.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

Shameful IMO if that turns out to be the case, Leinster are the only reason Luke is still in Ireland/Irish System at present.
I have to say its looking more and more like IRFU meddling, and if things keep going as they're I really hope Leinster tell them to p1$$ off and go out independently if possible, I reckon we would be able to be self sustained. Also like getting the new training facilities sponsored I reckon more business men would invest if they knew their money going to Leinster was for Leinster and not just allowing the IRFU to redirect funds cause we got a helping hand.

Edit: http://www.joe.ie/rugby/heineken-cup/re ... -0035831-1
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

For all the players that we are losing we've got players available to replace them....

McGrath for HVDM
Moore/Furlong for Hagan - 2 serious talented props who have to get gametime or they'll leave.
McCarthy for Browne and ROUX will be fit and Marshall/Flanagan fit and coming through even if Leo goes.
Gopperth for Sexton whilst not as good will also give more depth during the International season...
Conway/Carr/Nacewa gone but Byrne coming through and EOM/Macken also hopefully fit and likely to be another international coming in from overseas...
Luke/BOD if they go will be losses but we know BOD will be a massive loss if he goes...Luke hasn't played that much over last 2 years....

With Roux, Gopperth and Goodman we've got 1 NIQ spaces left to fill....

Maybe a silly question but if BOD goes does anyone think Madigan could be a good 13????? He has pace, runs good lines hard and fast, great passing game, good defender and good kicker - Gopperth then could play 10...
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)